Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Thoughts on MIN game

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Thoughts on MIN game

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 am

Not sure whether to merge this with one of the other threads, but here are my day after thoughts:

- Gameball to Chud. Kudos for having the team ready and engaged during a week where they could have easily quit.

- On Hoyer -- I didn't know what to expect. Part of me thought he'd be a game manager type -- can't win ya a game, but certainly won't lose ya one either. Part of me thought potential train wreck disaster -- 2nd career start, poor OL play, new guys playing new roles, etc. He was neither. If '13 is an evaluation year, here's my one game evaluation: Arm strength seem satisfactory. I didn't see much problem with him making any of the throws. Liked that he threw the ball with touch (I'm looking at you Brandon). What I really liked was his mobility in the pocket (again, Brandon). He stepped up when he needed to, avoided pass rusher and kept his eyes downfield. Really encouraging. The only major negative I saw was that his field vision can be poor sometimes -- he failed to locate defenders, which caused two of the INTs. Honestly, and I hate to do this, he reminded me of Holcomb. An above average back-up that can provide the team with a spark for a week or two while the starter is out. Think Frank Reich. Can he be more? Not sure yet, luckily, we'll have the rest of the season to evaluate him.

- On Gordon -- wow, what an impressive first game. I sure hope this kid can keep his nose clean and those trade rumors were false. The offense looks completely different with him in there. He's a rare talent and the best WR we've had since the return by far. Still needs polish -- looks lost sometimes and his field awareness can be better (drag two feet on the sideline Josh).

- Cameron continues to develop. Nice to see.

- Mingo again flashed his speed and athleticism. I can't wait for him to get a better feel for the game and scheme. Looks very raw right now.

- Sheard had a nice first half before the injury. Kruger, Taylor, Bryant, DQ, Skine (best game as a Brown), and Haden played well. Hats off to the entire D for containing AP.

- I scratched my head that Horton couldn't come up with something to stop Ponder from gashing us up the middle. LB spy?

Overall -- great effort on the road after a tumultuous week. This team is not the Jags -- we have talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Re: Thoughts on MIN game

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

We spoke of the Holcomb comparison during the game as well. A lot of similarities... the sort of short-term improvement that can fool you into thinking someone of his somewhat limited skill set can be a long-term answer (if you're not careful).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Be interesting to see which QB puts on the hat and which gets the clipboard this week. With more experience as a starter, Hoyer will improve--but how much is the question. Would like to see what he does against a team that's not 0-3. Would also like to see Weeden with Gordon on the field and the relatively intriguing play calling that Chud and Norv dreamed up.

Side note: The Vikes should've suited up that guy in the stands with the purple face. He looked like he could really kick some ass.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I dunno, I don't have a lot of interest in any of these QB's, so not sure I care who they put out there. Slightly interested to see what Hoyer does in a second start, but also slightly interested to see what Weeden looks like in this offense with Gordon. An then slightly interested in how Campbell compares to both.

In the end, they all are blah.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 am

MIN is real bad, the Browns are just bad.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 am

Reminds me a little of Jeff Garcia.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL