Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Is it really "open" ?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Is it really "open" ?

Unread postby jb » Sun May 27, 2007 9:13 am

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/columnists/patrick_mcmanamon/17267614.htm

If any conclusion could be drawn from the offense's play, it's that Derek Anderson should not be forgotten in the quarterback derby. He had more good throws than all the rest combined.

NOt sayin' DA is great, but it is so obvious he's the best we've got.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 27, 2007 9:23 am

Yeah, I agree. I can't really figure out why Romeo and Phil have gone out of their way to say the job is Charlie's until otherwise proven.

Cause he's a local boy and a hard worker?

I can't surmise any other reason ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:42 am

Swerb wrote:Yeah, I agree. I can't really figure out why Romeo and Phil have gone out of their way to say the job is Charlie's until otherwise proven.

Cause he's a local boy and a hard worker?

I can't surmise any other reason ...

SD:

Take it all in with a grain of Salt .

Frye was the incumbent who got injuried , however in his abscence while DA looked good his play didn't net any wins .

Frye as the starter is written in the sands of a Lake Erie shoreline,
it means nothing during offseason beach ball .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 27, 2007 9:46 am

Yeah, you've gotta think ... given Romeo's 1-11 mark vs the division, and games with the Inbred, Rats, and Bungles in the 1st month ... there will be no other agenda other than putting the guy out there that gives us the best chance to win.

Anderson last year, that Tampa game, he had some bad breaks. And if you extract those Tampa game #'s ... he had a pretty nice little late season run against some good defenses.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun May 27, 2007 2:59 pm

If Derek Anderson is this team's best quarterback, we are truely, truely fucked. Guy makes Paul McDonald look like the consummate game manager. He's a little bit bewitching because he's everything Frye isn't as a quarterback, but that doesn't make him adequate in the slightest.

I just don't trust a guy who threw 41 interceptions in his last two seasons at Oregon State.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Mon May 28, 2007 12:35 am

HermanFontenot wrote:If Derek Anderson is this team's best quarterback, we are truely, truely fucked. Guy makes Paul McDonald look like the consummate game manager. He's a little bit bewitching because he's everything Frye isn't as a quarterback, but that doesn't make him adequate in the slightest.

I just don't trust a guy who threw 41 interceptions in his last two seasons at Oregon State.

them we is truely. cause he da best.
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon May 28, 2007 10:59 am

And to think David Car is a back-up in Carolina........temporarily.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jfiling » Mon May 28, 2007 5:20 pm

If the argument (which I think it should be) is which quarterback is going to hold the reins until Quinn is 100% NFL game ready, it may come down to how quickly the O-Line gels. If the OL comes together right away, I think DA is the better drop-back passer. If the OL is tripping over its own feet, Frye's mobility might be needed.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon May 28, 2007 9:35 pm

If it's a fair competition I agree that DA starts against Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, the word from the OTA's is that he still has accuracy problems when he throws more than 20 yards. We saw that last year and there's no reason to expect it to be any different this year.

Braylon Edwards said the offense will have a lot of quick passes, which were the kinds of throws DA did well with last year. He might be OK until Quinn is ready. Like one poster said, if you throw out the disastrous Tampa game, his stats were pretty good against a couple of good defenses.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue May 29, 2007 7:03 am

Prosecutor wrote:If it's a fair competition I agree that DA starts against Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, the word from the OTA's is that he still has accuracy problems when he throws more than 20 yards. We saw that last year and there's no reason to expect it to be any different this year.

Braylon Edwards said the offense will have a lot of quick passes, which were the kinds of throws DA did well with last year. He might be OK until Quinn is ready. Like one poster said, if you throw out the disastrous Tampa game, his stats were pretty good against a couple of good defenses.

His accuracy problems have been consistent since his days at Oregon State, so I don't see those getting fixed. He's not a guy who can consistently stretch the field. His short passing game can be effective and a good running game, which we might have this year, will be a great help. It's tough for any QB when there's little threat of a breakout from the RB.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue May 29, 2007 3:03 pm

I agree with everything NEGATIVE in this thread in regards to Derek Anderson.

I also still believe he gives you a better shot than Chaz Frye.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Wed May 30, 2007 6:09 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:If it's a fair competition I agree that DA starts against Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, the word from the OTA's is that he still has accuracy problems when he throws more than 20 yards. We saw that last year and there's no reason to expect it to be any different this year.

His accuracy problems have been consistent since his days at Oregon State, so I don't see those getting fixed. He's not a guy who can consistently stretch the field. His short passing game can be effective and a good running game, which we might have this year, will be a great help. It's tough for any QB when there's little threat of a breakout from the RB.

In all the games I saw DA, I didn't notice any acuracy issues whatsoever. What I did notice was an insistence to throw to the spot where the WR was supposed to be, come hell or high water. This resulted in picks and was likely consistant with what he did at OrSU. This is alot like how Holcomb got picked so much

DA defiately has the arm th stretch the field and when I got to see him in person vs KC, when he led the team to a comeback win (someone mistakenly posted he'd never turned in a "W") he certainly used more of the field than Frye. Ray Charles can see this.

Pat Mac reports today that Frye is still struggling. He's a struggler.
DA is teh best player they have at the position. Like the last post, I don't mean this as a ringing endorsement of a long term solution, more of a Paul MacDonald in 1984 observation.

Charlie Frye shouldn't be handed this job over a player who has a better pedegree, has more natural talent, and outplays him simply because of draft position.
jb

DA

Unread postby mistero » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:48 am

If DA was another guy, drafted in round 1, being brought along slowly, he might just be ready to make a quantum leap on the field.
His first year he did nothing but watch. Year two he got in the game, played pretty damn well at times. This will be year 3 for him. It is not inconcievable to think he could be pretty damn good this year. He has all the tools of a guy like Bledsoe or Aikman. He's a pure pocket passer.

He could be good. Old Chuck is limited, mentally,physically whatever. He probably has hit his ceiling. He's Jim Harbaugh or at best Doug Flutie. A gimmick scrambler who can start 2 games for you in a pinch.

While I love the Quinn pick, I think DA w might be poised to take over the reigns in 2007. 2 good, young QB's is alot better than none.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL