Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

How much is your brain worth?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

How much is your brain worth?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 pm

$150K

Goods hath spoke.

Suck it cognitive function!

Pretty sure the NFL spends that much on line paint for the fields during any given year.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: How much is your brain worth?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Oh, wait:

"Players will get 50% of the compensation over the next 3 years and the rest over the subsequent 17 years, so it's even less with inflation."

I'd Net Present Value that out for your guys, but I'm lazy. Let's just settle on "the NFL has 2% savings accounts generating in interest what the monthly payment will be".

Kinda shoots the theoretical explanation of the players lawyers wanting money now versus after year in court theory out of the water too.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Suck it cognitive function!

We'll see how high & mighty you are when the inevitable jammed-fingers class action suit is brought against the NBA.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Suck it cognitive function!

We'll see how high & mighty you are when the inevitable jammed-fingers class action suit is brought against the NBA.

Not to mention he cushions his argument with inflation talk and never even gives a thought to mentioning what a good deal it is if there is DEflation over the next 25years. Those guys will all be Bill Gates if we head back to the dust bowl standards.

Idiot.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Man those guys would really be screwed if deflation were to occur. Would have a hard time counting those wheel-barrels full of money without brain functionality.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Is there a class action lawsuit yet against the military for soldiers who have lost limbs? There really should be. I'm sure no one told them they could have their arm or leg blown off if they went into that profession.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Is there a class action lawsuit yet against the military for soldiers who have lost limbs? There really should be. I'm sure no one told them they could have their arm or leg blown off if they went into that profession.

Yeah, there's that...in a profession where people don't want to be drafted, even.

And while the NFL is indeed run by greedy bastards, what's stopping the players from using their halfish % of league revenue to set up some kind of players retirement fund, like a football social security or something? If the players union actually gave a real shit about its players, past & present, this wouldn't be an issue. Retirees would be swimming in 10x the money they actually made during their careers on a pretty nominal % of NFL player revenue.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Oh I never meant to imply the NFL is entirely at fault it, just that it is hilarious this league has spent 50 years ruining the brains of its players and got off for less than it spends on toilet paper in a year because, well, NFL! DO WHAT YOU WANT! EVEN THE GUYS YOU F'D UP THAT MADE NO MONEY AIN'T GONNA FIGHT YA! NFL!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:12 am

This sucks! Now tickets will be like, $10 and beers will be like $4. Dammit!
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:22 am

e0y2e3 wrote:$150K

Goods hath spoke.

Suck it cognitive function!

Pretty sure the NFL spends that much on line paint for the fields during any given year.

SD:

Some players will get as much as $5,000,000.00 of the payout while others will get significantly less than the 150 K average payout .

But the PR will focus on the 3/4 billion settlement and putting all this nasty lawsuit business behind us .

For those who never expected diddly when this suit started its a good deal , and it lends closure for those older vets with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel , whose options to hold out longer simply weren't there.

For guys who never made any real money and were forced to work odd jobs in the offseason to supplement incomes , it gives a last hurrah's for them and their families , a pittance toward the suffering many endured with scattershot medicine and treatment so primitive , it would make professional boxing blush .

You better well believe the NFL expected the worst case scenario of having to dole out 10 times what they settled for in a protracted battle they had no way of winning , and teams had both insurance and war chests set aside for just such a worst case scenario event .

Yesterdays agreement in retrospect is pure manna from heaven .

Its over and not one of them fucks has spent so much as what is tantamount to pocket change in a 1000 billion dollar industry.

and

The worst is yet to come .

You better damn well bet ya , next players agreement , there will be a waiver against injury and hold harmless agreements as standard player contract language .

Pimpin ain't easy.

These are the good ole days.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 am

Lee, when u make a Faustian bargain its rare the devil gives u a rebate. I'm not without sympathy for these men but I lean to Hikos take with a nod to DooDoo's.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

Fellas, the total number is big but this is just barely more than a 'cost of defense' settlement for the NFL. They had risk, yes, for the courts/juries dictating that they owed far more, but the percentage chance was small of that happening.

It was small because of the very real assumption of risk argument and the very real issue that the players had no starting point for the cognitive affects argument. They had no baseline. Bennie Thompson may have been a fucking bordeline moron before he put on his first Pee Wee helmet. Who's to say the real damage occurred under NCAA eyes and practices? And as the plaintiff the players have the burden of proof.

What they had behind them was sympathy and common sense. But if the legal system tells ya anything it's that that doesn't matter when a jury gets the case. You only have that leverage until you don't.

They had leverage but not strength in terms of their argument. They used the leverage appropriately and probably ended up with a shit load more than the rules that govern civil litigation would have given them.

And there's a time-value to money as well. Getting it now is better than getting same amount two years from now (if you're not getting less by then).

This ain't big tobacco hiding carcinogens in their shit.

You run fast and hit shit with your head you probably fuck up your head. Do it for sustained time and you fuck i up worse. Res Ipsa Loquitor and all that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL