Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Does Savage have the balls ...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Does Savage have the balls ...

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:57 am

To enter next year without a first or second round pick .


http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm


(12:01 AM): Dawgs’ CB to enter supp draft… Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who had been considered a potential first-day pick at the 2008 draft, has left school and will reportedly make himself eligible for this summer’s NFL supplemental draft. Oliver reportedly had been declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season. Oliver is listed at 6-0, 210 and reportedly runs the 40 in the low 4.4s; in 2006, he had 57 tackles and picked off three passes.


SoulDawg

WAR : The time is now
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Unread postby BadBecks » Sun May 27, 2007 2:03 am

I'm home and watching "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and they are talking about the risks of 'putting the pussy on the pedistal'. I just wanted to say that. It may tie in to this topic...either way I don't really care.

If we use a day 2 pick on him I'm game.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
User avatar
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Chippewa Lake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Lebowski » Sun May 27, 2007 7:32 am

He's the only kid who could lock down CJ.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:39 am

Lebowski wrote:He's the only kid who could lock down CJ.


SD:

Kid has 4.4 speed stands over 6 feet tall and is plus 200 lbs , will stick his nose into interference and support the run ala the cornerbacks of old ,
and has the flat out footspeed to turn and cover to match his linebacker mentality when it comes to tackling .

Much as I like Bodden , seeing him and Baxter fighting for scraps to get playing time behind two rooks who could lock down those spots for the next decade should put a smile on your face wider than a french maid giving ya a hummer.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:42 am

BadBecks wrote:I'm home and watching "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and they are talking about the risks of 'putting the pussy on the pedistal'. I just wanted to say that. It may tie in to this topic...either way I don't really care.

If we use a day 2 pick on him I'm game.


SD:

Thats pedestal with an "e".

Giving up #1 picks is like passing on the chance to bust a cherry .

Everything after that is just lunchmeat.



SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Does Savage have the balls ...

Unread postby jb » Sun May 27, 2007 9:07 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:To enter next year without a first or second round pick .


http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm


(12:01 AM): Dawgs’ CB to enter supp draft… Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who had been considered a potential first-day pick at the 2008 draft, has left school and will reportedly make himself eligible for this summer’s NFL supplemental draft. Oliver reportedly had been declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season. Oliver is listed at 6-0, 210 and reportedly runs the 40 in the low 4.4s; in 2006, he had 57 tackles and picked off three passes.


SoulDawg

WAR : The time is now


If it were this sorta prospect and he were a 3 - 4 DE, then hell yes.

Another CB? Pass.

Needs vs wants, brah.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Does Savage have the balls ...

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:27 am

JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:To enter next year without a first or second round pick .


http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm


(12:01 AM): Dawgs’ CB to enter supp draft… Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who had been considered a potential first-day pick at the 2008 draft, has left school and will reportedly make himself eligible for this summer’s NFL supplemental draft. Oliver reportedly had been declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season. Oliver is listed at 6-0, 210 and reportedly runs the 40 in the low 4.4s; in 2006, he had 57 tackles and picked off three passes.


SoulDawg

WAR : The time is now


Nas

If it were this sorta prospect and he were a 3 - 4 DE, then hell yes.

Another CB? Pass.


Needs vs wants, brah.



SD:

Don't be short sighted my brother , you takes talent where tou can find it when you can find it .

First round type talents had for less builds your base talent .

watch the Bulldog bowl game , kid singlehandidly won the game .

There are no more lockdown corners persay a Deion Sanders who shuts down a whole side of the field in the passing game , or a Mel Blount who
made the NFL institute a rule change in how the position was played so the offense had a chance.

Butt when you can add a cornerback in this day and age of the passing game , where you have to sacrifice size and srength to get the speed you need to cover the fleet wideouts who you can't breath on .

A corner who has the size to play the run and the mentalaity to stop a Mack truck in the hole , but can turn and burn with the biggest and best wideouts in the position is a commodity as rare as blue hen teeth .

If you can sniff his dirty drawers outsisde the first round , you kidnap his ass and speed outta town before somebody calls the fuckin police
and reports the crime .


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Unread postby swerb » Sun May 27, 2007 9:50 am

http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle. ... LID=308243

This kid ended the season about as strong as you can.

Held Ga Tech's CJ to 2-13 in the regular season finale. Then had a career high 9 tackles, 3 for a loss, in the bowl game vs Va Tech.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon May 28, 2007 10:44 am

I'm in with SoulDawg, you had me at "French Maid Hummer", Oliver is a stud and brings the wood. I like Bodden too , but it's OK to have three good corners in case of nagging high ankle sprains which tend to pop up over a 16 game schedule.
Is Tucker still our DB coach ? Can you imagine him waking up to Wright & Oliver vs. Brown & Holley? That's like going from Phyllis Diller and Joan Rivers to Pamela Anderson & Jennifer Anniston to co-star with you in your upcoming full length porno film. Sweet!
I don't see it though, Phil feels overextended I'm sure and doesn't want to max out the home equity line. He's flying high and probably doesn't want to tempt fate and disturb our positive mojo. I say f@#$% it Phil, you're on a roll. Imagine not having to microdissect next year's 64 Mock Draft 1st two round scenarios and allowing us more time to concentrate ( if that's possible) on FA upgrades at DL & RB. O-L-I-V-E-R !
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon May 28, 2007 11:15 am

I agree, this guy was the main reason Georgia won its bowl game.

I'm always leery to give up draft picks, but sometimes you have to take the risk for talent. I don't think we could find a better talent in the second round of next year's draft. If Savage thinks we could get him with a third rounder then I'd be game for that. The Supplemental Draft works so much differently. You don't see guys taken for their actual regular draft value because teams often don't want to lose an early pick.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll
 
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon May 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Having 3 shutdown corners also gives us a great trade bargaining chip a few years down the road. With trades coming back in vogue in tyhe NFL, and the lack of true shutdown corners, we could have a lot of flexibility in trade talks.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby jfiling » Mon May 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:I agree, this guy was the main reason Georgia won its bowl game.

I'm always leery to give up draft picks, but sometimes you have to take the risk for talent. I don't think we could find a better talent in the second round of next year's draft. If Savage thinks we could get him with a third rounder then I'd be game for that. The Supplemental Draft works so much differently. You don't see guys taken for their actual regular draft value because teams often don't want to lose an early pick.


That's what I was thinking, because it seems like guys are always taken later in the supplemental than what their talents might project them. Somebody will definitely take this guy by the end of the 3rd, if he's all that, but the second might be a stretch.

Let's say the Browns take him in the 2nd, and E-Wright, Bodden, and Baxter and Holly all have productive and healthy seasons, and guys like Minter and Kenny Wright step up and play big. You'd hate to have lost that 2nd round pick that might be used on a tailback next year.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:09 pm

jfiling, good point, but did you actually list more than 3 Browns and include "healthy" in the same sentence ?[/u]
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 pm

I did. I really don't think this shitty stretch of ridiculous injuries can last forever. Get Oliver in the 3rd round, or maybe even the 4th, considering the way supplementals go. I believe it would be a huge mistake to give up next year's 2nd for him, considering that we might finally have depth at CB.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:47 am

Ran 4.5+ in a ProDay Workout recently according to rototimes.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Pup wrote:Ran 4.5+ in a ProDay Workout recently according to rototimes.


SD:

Be nice of you had a link .

4.5 is good 4.4 is exceptional with his size .

4.5 you spend a third .

4.4 you give up the second .

That tenth in quickness is like the guy who can beat you with his jab before you can land yours.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Here is the link, just in case I had some vendetta against Paul Oliver and wanted to smear his 40 time :roll :roll:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... FL&id=4492

Georgia CB Paul Oliver measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Oliver was listed at 6-0/205 in college. From a measurables standpoint, Oliver doesn't appear likely to be a first-day supplemental draft selection.

Oliver's unimpressive Pro Day still doesn't mean teams won't give him a look. He's a projected third- or fourth-round choice

Georgia CB Paul Oliver ran his forty in the 4.5-4.58 range at his Pro Day, according to Scout.com. His vertical was 33.5 inches.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:35 am

[quote="Pup"]Here is the link, just in case I had some vendetta against Paul Oliver and wanted to smear his 40 time :roll :roll:

SD:

Thanks for the link ,

Didn't impune upon your honesty just wanted exact information.

The dude is shorter smaller and slower than advertised , and not the athlete which would make his selection a bargain .

both are safeties have more speed so he serves us not .

pup >

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... FL&id=4492

Georgia CB Paul Oliver measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Oliver was listed at 6-0/205 in college. From a measurables standpoint, Oliver doesn't appear likely to be a first-day supplemental draft selection.

Oliver's unimpressive Pro Day still doesn't mean teams won't give him a look. He's a projected third- or fourth-round choice

Georgia CB Paul Oliver ran his forty in the 4.5-4.58 range at his Pro Day, according to Scout.com. His vertical was 33.5 inches.

SD:

the info speaks for itself , sans a link then it looks like agenda

Hope this helps

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Unread postby jb » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:08 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Pup wrote:Here is the link, just in case I had some vendetta against Paul Oliver and wanted to smear his 40 time :roll :roll:

SD:

Thanks for the link ,

Didn't impune upon your honesty just wanted exact information.

The dude is shorter smaller and slower than advertised , and not the athlete which would make his selection a bargain .

both are safeties have more speed so he serves us not .

pup >

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... FL&id=4492

Georgia CB Paul Oliver measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Oliver was listed at 6-0/205 in college. From a measurables standpoint, Oliver doesn't appear likely to be a first-day supplemental draft selection.

Oliver's unimpressive Pro Day still doesn't mean teams won't give him a look. He's a projected third- or fourth-round choice

Georgia CB Paul Oliver ran his forty in the 4.5-4.58 range at his Pro Day, according to Scout.com. His vertical was 33.5 inches.

SD:

the info speaks for itself , sans a link then it looks like agenda

Hope this helps

SoulDawg


Dunno, look at Bob Sanders' measurables. If u can play, u can play.

There's multiple rounds in this draft, right?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:04 pm

JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
Pup wrote:Here is the link, just in case I had some vendetta against Paul Oliver and wanted to smear his 40 time :roll :roll:

SD:

Thanks for the link ,

Didn't impune upon your honesty just wanted exact information.

The dude is shorter smaller and slower than advertised , and not the athlete which would make his selection a bargain .

both are safeties have more speed so he serves us not .

pup >

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... FL&id=4492

Georgia CB Paul Oliver measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Oliver was listed at 6-0/205 in college. From a measurables standpoint, Oliver doesn't appear likely to be a first-day supplemental draft selection.

Oliver's unimpressive Pro Day still doesn't mean teams won't give him a look. He's a projected third- or fourth-round choice

Georgia CB Paul Oliver ran his forty in the 4.5-4.58 range at his Pro Day, according to Scout.com. His vertical was 33.5 inches.

SD:

the info speaks for itself , sans a link then it looks like agenda

Hope this helps

SoulDawg


Dunno, look at Bob Sanders' measurables. If u can play, u can play.

There's multiple rounds in this draft, right?


SD:

Thought we were looking at a corner , if you think he's the next Bob Sanders and is a real safety ala Ronnie Lott at heart misplaced at corner , then you draft him .

Football speed is another category alltogether under that variable .

Edit >

Bob Sanders IIRC had 4.37 speed legit sub 4.4 burner .

Thats what peaked my interest , at 4.58 I want more size and stopping power to make the impact Sanders tremendous speed and blend of hard nosed hitting more than compensates for in pure mass.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Chargers pick Oliver, Ravens select Gaither in supplemental draft

July 12, 2007


NEW YORK (AP) -- The San Diego Chargers selected Paul Oliver, and the Baltimore Ravens chose Jared Gaither in the supplemental draft Thursday.

Oliver, a Georgia cornerback, was picked 28th in the fourth round. The Ravens selected Gaither, a Maryland tackle, 31st in the fifth round. It marks the first time since 1998 that two players were taken in the supplemental draft.

"Jared has a chance to play in this league, even at a high level," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement. "It would have been interesting to see how high he would have gone in the draft had he played one or two more seasons at Maryland."

Gaither started 17 of his final 21 games at right or left tackle as a freshman and a sophomore at Maryland.

Oliver was among Georgia's leaders with 57 tackles last season.

With the selections, San Diego and Baltimore will forgo the corresponding picks in the 2008 draft.

The Ravens also signed fourth-round draft pick Antwan Barnes to a three-year contract that included a $287,000 signing bonus.
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests