Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Ponderous Thoughts

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Ponderous Thoughts

Unread postby BadBecks » Sun May 20, 2007 2:18 am

I know a lot of you respect this guy's opinion. Either way it may not mean much for this upcoming season, but as far as hope is concerned, it may be be a good sign...

Muy buien Browns fans.

linked from http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=16581

From Savage:

“Rick Gosselin – who I think covers the draft and the NFL better than anyone because he actually does the research – called the week after the draft and told me that in 2000 he thought the Eagles were going to be a team that would make an extended run because they had those seven impact positions filled with young players. He told me he thought we were almost there in terms of those seven positions. I take that from someone who has studied the league as confirmation that we’re doing things the right way.”
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby BadBecks » Sun May 20, 2007 2:20 am

“We consider there to be seven impact positions on a team: Quarterback, running back, left tackle and wide receiver on offense and in a 3-4 defense, nose tackle, pass rusher and cornerback,” Savage said. “We really believe that five of those seven have been filled with draft picks who are just scratching the surface on what they can be.

My bad, I'm sure this part above would be more helpful in figuring out what the hell he was talking about with Part one.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner

Unread postby yogi » Sun May 20, 2007 7:26 am

Interesting.

5 out of 7 positions filled with young and up and coming players.

QB - Quinn
RB - TBD
LT- Thomas
WR - Edwards

NT - TBD
PassRusher- Wimbley
CB - Wright (or does he mean Bodden?, prob not)

Personally, I thought a top notch DT/DE in the 3-4 is more of an impact position. Like a Seymour. Great NT's can control the middle and stop the run though.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Sun May 20, 2007 8:07 am

yogi wrote:Interesting.

QB - Quinn
RB - TBD
LT- Thomas
WR - Edwards

NT - TBD
PassRusher- Wimbley

Personally, I thought a top notch DT/DE in the 3-4 is more of an impact position. Like a Seymour. Great NT's can control the middle and stop the run though.

I swear I heard Phil talk about S Smith as being a case where "the Browns have their nose tackle".

Is it possible the unfulfilled includes someone else we assume is a made guy?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun May 20, 2007 10:45 am

I doubt it JB. I can't see how a back-up D-Lineman from New Jack City ( Bengals) would be ordained our answer at NG. Is Phil that good & Marvin Lewis that dumb? God, I hope so. Regardless, Smith is an upgrade over our other D-Line facsimiles which spent most of last year body surfing backwards into our secondary. What ever happened to the "steal" Tsiagomaptaedspdhsjksldwmndo.......NG out of Stanford?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun May 20, 2007 10:51 am

yogi wrote:Interesting.

QB - Quinn
RB - TBD
LT- Thomas
WR - Edwards

NT - TBD
PassRusher- Wimbley

Bodden's only problem last year was health. Even when he came back he wasn't ready. If he can stay healthy he'll be a really good player IMO. In addition to the prerequisite physical skills, Bodden has a quality that you need to have if you're going to be great at that position, that is, he is not afraid.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL