Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Trouble in Steeler town? Ward now siding with Faneca

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Trouble in Steeler town? Ward now siding with Faneca

Unread postby Crash Davis » Mon May 14, 2007 9:20 am

Could the end be near in Pittsburgh? First Porter, then Faneca at the end of the year and now Ward complaining again. Rumor is Polamalu is not happy either. Speaking of Ward he gets his money and then sinks the knife into management's back. And he's STILL talking about Porter. This team is quickly becoming devoid of it's veteran leaders.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785478-66.stm

"It sets a precedent," Ward said, "because other guys look at Alan as 'Wow, this guy is a great citizen, he does a lot for the city of Pittsburgh, he's obviously a Pro Bowl player. He's done everything you ask him to do.' The younger guys just sit back and look at that situation.
"It's different now; there's no question this locker room is totally different. You lose a locker-room favorite like Joey -- not having Joey on that field is different. It's a different feel. God forbid if Alan's not out there.
"You can't put a value on leadership and being a veteran. Alan is the first guy to get here, the last guy to leave. He's worked just as hard as anybody on this team," Ward said.
"He paid his dues, he put in his time and he's a productive ballplayer. ... If he's upset, Wow! But, at the same time, he's a professional. He's here. It's not like he didn't show up."
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby bw » Mon May 14, 2007 10:51 am

Could the end be near in Pittsburgh? First Porter, then Faneca at the end of the year and now Ward complaining again.

I was going to bring that up myself in another thread but I think it deserves its own. I think the hiring of a new coach from the outside also irritates the players in Pittsburgh. Grimm was a favorite of many.

Then there's the Bungals. We don't know how they're going to react from all the off-season turmoil they've experienced in the recent past. Their defense is still wanting in talent and the offense has lost some decent players (one to us).

The Rats will have a strong defense -- Again. But Stabbinkillaman is getting a little long in the tooth. Still, they'll be strong.

I see Pittsburgh in a downward spiral this year. The Bengals? Who knows, they're the Bengals. It won't take much to send them off packing. The Rats? McNair is getting up there in years and the desire has got to be running low. And he's been getting beat up regularly for years. Their offense could go down the tubes real easy. No McNair, no offense.

Us?? Good question. Crennel has shown a tendency to not play rooks early. This is a good thing, IMHO. Too easy to ruin a kid right out of college. He's used to be being the BMOC, having special tutors, making other kids do his heavy lifting and generally goofing off. Once they realize they're not God's gift to humanity they can go one of two ways -- Up or down. Sure, some have their heads on straight, but even they are in for a bit of a culture shock.

My prediction for our season? That would be 19-0. The first of many.
bw

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 14, 2007 11:43 am

I pray the end is near. But I'm not buying it. We've been down this path so many times before with the Steelers where it looked like a questionable off-season with puzzling losses would be their undoing.

I will say this. I am suprised they hired from the outside ... but really, whos any of us to question the Rooney families HMFIC hiring practices. They have a pretty damn good track record. I'm even more surprised they ignored RB and OL in the draft. They had a chance to take Kalil in the 2nd and took Lamarr Woodley. Tony Hunt was there for them in the 3rd and they took the big TE from Minnesota.

But this is going to be a good football team.

Remember, the Steelers last year were killed by two things. INTs and shit special teams play. If Big Ben throws 16 INTs instead of 23, they go 10-6 instead of 8-8 ... and even with the INTs, were playing as good as anyone in the league at seasons end.

Bottom line, Faneca is gonna be 31 this year and wants 7 million per. The Steelers are probably doing the right thing, and are unfazed by making moves that are unpopular in the clubhouse, but what they feel are the right decisions.

And on Porter ... everything I read on him when he became available suggested that he got all his sacks in two games, and was a non factor for the other 14. Most Steeler fans I know whose opinions I respect thought he was closed to being washed up. And they went out and got Timmons and Woodley in the 1st two rounds to go along with Farrior, Foote, Harrison, and Haggans. And they still got that Hampton guy in the middle and Polamalu back deep.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby happybluebird » Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Swerb wrote:Most Steeler fans I know whose opinions I respect....

You RESPECT the opinions of a Steelers fan??Image I've never met even one that deserved an ounce of my respect, especially since all the ones I've ever met live here in Ohio and are Traitors! Image on all of them! And YOU SWERB need a good ol' kick in the rear! Turn around! Image Respect a Steelers fan...why I never...
shame on ya...

See how much the avg. squealer fan respects your team buddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excHaNwlcUQ

I thought about deleting his comment, but I enjoy the fact that steeler fans are getting an eyeful watching the dawg poop on their helmet!

happybluebird

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 14, 2007 12:54 pm

If you can believe this one, my mom married a Steelers fan. My stepdad is a very good guy, this one flaw removed.

Generally speaking though bluebird, I'm witchu.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby BruceK » Mon May 14, 2007 2:39 pm

Swerb --

The Rooneys do a good job picking coaches as long as they pick ex-Cleveland Browns.

And the Rooney family was picking the coaches in the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, too.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 14, 2007 3:16 pm

Good point Bruce.

And I hope like hell this thing blows up on them.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby happybluebird » Mon May 14, 2007 6:40 pm

My hubby is a Bungles fan, only acceptable because he grew up in Southern Ohio. :mrgreen: There is NO Way I could have ever married a Steeler fan.....it just couldn't work :eek :shock: I mean if you aren't true to your states football team, how could you be trusted? :roll :roll:

Oh, and as for this topic - I really think Faneca has a legitamate beef. They should pay the guy what he is worth....SIX pro bowls.

The inner strife is great for us, and you can bet I'm pulling for a complete and utter downfall of the Steeler organization. But as you said before Swerb we have been down this path before. I remember being overjoyed when Noll retired! That didn't turn out so well for us. :-| :neutral: :| But now....

It is time. The Browns time. Starting with that coin flip. It is time for it to all come together for US. Our turn. Go Browns!!!
happybluebird

Unread postby jb » Thu May 17, 2007 6:24 am

The difference here from days gone by when they'd lose an isolated FA or two is that this turmoil happens just as a new, very young and inexperienced 1st time HC desperately needs the support of a vet, championship team to make a transition. There's no Grimm of Caher to sit these guys down and give 'em the old us vs them talk to get them to rise above. Maybe Corporal LeBeau can help?

The shit could be hitting the fan and unless they have kids who are ready to really step up so they can can the vet malcontents, this time they really will be in trouble.

The vets are taking the team from Timlin right now as you watch over money. As a Browns' fan who saw what vet contract disputes did to Bud Carson, a weak head coach, I'm here to testify that never ends well. How can Timlin be any better positioned? He really didn't even have the credentials to deseve the job?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL