Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Return of the USFL

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Return of the USFL

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Sounds like nothing more than an NFL minor league at this point, but if they put a franchise in Akron and they allow hitting, then I'll go watch.

I’ve always felt competing pro football leagues were doomed to die with the NFL in place, but if the USFL has real kickoffs and allows real hits (even on the QB!), then this might be the time launch it.

Just make sure you get a lawyer to draw up an iron-tight hold-harmless contract for anyone who signs and print “Warning: Playing football can lead to physical injury, concussions, brain damage, and even death” on the side of the helmet.

You know, just in case the players didn’t know that already.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57432575/usfl-relaunching-biletnikoff-involved/

USFL relaunching, Biletnikoff involved
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The USFL is back in business.

Well, almost.

A reincarnation of the league, with an entirely different business model, plans to kick off in March. On Thursday, it included Hall of Fame receiver Fred Biletnikoff among its advisers.

Biletnikoff will consult on football operations for the league, which originally went out of business in 1987 after losing millions of dollars and, despite winning a lawsuit against the NFL, being awarded just $3 in indemnities. That version unwisely chose to challenge the NFL, while this one will be more of a developmental league.

"We will not try to compete with the NFL at all," said CEO Jaime Cuadra after adding Biletnikoff and James Bailey, an executive for the Cleveland Browns and then the Baltimore Ravens for 21 years, to the USFL's board of advisers. The board will be responsible for guiding USFL management on various areas of operations, eventually focusing on a search for the league's commissioner.

"We will play in markets where there are no NFL teams or major league baseball teams. It's a league for guys who are on the bubble for making NFL teams, and we will have complete open access for the NFL. We want to build a model that is sustainable."

The USFL is looking at a 14-game season from March until June in eight cities. Its players would then be free to join NFL clubs at their training camps.

All player and coach contracts will be owned by the league, with salaries not approaching anything the NFL offers.

Cities currently being considered are Portland, Ore.; Salt Lake City; San Antonio or Austin, Texas; Columbus or Akron, Ohio; Oklahoma City; Omaha, Neb.; Raleigh/Durham, N.C.; Birmingham, Ala.; and Memphis, Tenn.

"These are cities with underutilized facilities at that time of year," Cuadra said.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Return of the USFL

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I had an argument with a friend in the late 90's about the XFL. He thought the XFL would work and be a viable alternative to the NFL. He used a few of the same arguments, namely, that the NFL is pussified and the XFL will allow hits on the QB and whatnot.

The NFL is too big. Anything and everything else has a ceiling of being a pimple on the NFL's ass. A USFL league might make it a few years.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 pm

I like it. A lot of solid players don't make NFL rosters, and that's it. There's nowhere overseas to go and play like there is for hoops. This way, they can make a name for themselves during the NFL's offseason and get invited to a camp.

Also, if you think about the collection of players, they should be better than 90% (if not all) college teams. That being said, I'd be pretty eager to watch the games. March/April can be pretty dismal for sports (besides March Madness). Top 3/4 of playoff squads are set going down the stretch in the NBA, and baseballs in Spring Training ===> Perfect time for some more football.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed May 16, 2012 6:57 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I had an argument with a friend in the late 90's about the XFL. He thought the XFL would work and be a viable alternative to the NFL.

The XFL really should have stayed the brain child of something the NBC wanted to do in the first place, which was pretty much a newly created league by the heads of a TV network.

Throwing McMahon's name into the ring wasn't a good thing and didn't exactly help with credibility. You had people expecting there'd be dudes with chairs hitting QB's, with "The Rock" playing safety. It...didn't happen that way.

The talent pool as well was incredibly mediocre. I mean, Tommy Maddox, Rod "He Hate Me Smart" ended up having "okay" careers in the end when the league crumbled, but they were really lacking any big names to promote the league. Thus, they had to rely on the WWE brand, and prayed that'd help and make the thing look legitimate.

I was intrigued by some of the ideas though. Some of the Camera's and access allowed by mics and such were excellent to see. I also felt that having a footrace for the ball rather than a coin toss was pretty awesome.

I still would love to see a Spring Football league come back.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I had an argument with a friend in the late 90's about the XFL. He thought the XFL would work and be a viable alternative to the NFL. He used a few of the same arguments, namely, that the NFL is pussified and the XFL will allow hits on the QB and whatnot.

The NFL is too big. Anything and everything else has a ceiling of being a pimple on the NFL's ass. A USFL league might make it a few years.

If they did reach a deal with the NFL where teams could designate players to play in this league (like they did in WLAF/NFL Europe), would you watch it then?

For instance, if the Akron team was comprised mainly of players designated by the Browns, Steelers, and Lions?
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Be careful what you wish for Hiko. The NBADL is worse than the woman's NBA. Sure it spits out a bench player or two a year, but that is about it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed May 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I had an argument with a friend in the late 90's about the XFL. He thought the XFL would work and be a viable alternative to the NFL. He used a few of the same arguments, namely, that the NFL is pussified and the XFL will allow hits on the QB and whatnot.

If they did reach a deal with the NFL where teams could designate players to play in this league (like they did in WLAF/NFL Europe), would you watch it then?

For instance, if the Akron team was comprised mainly of players designated by the Browns, Steelers, and Lions?

Yes, I absolutely would watch that...I think.

But the idea (and I know you've talked about it before) of having players developing in some kind of minor league would be interesting.

e0y2e3 wrote:Be careful what you wish for Hiko. The NBADL is worse than the woman's NBA. Sure it spits out a bench player or two a year, but that is about it.

Of course there is that too. It is probably true that even if there was some kind of developmental league for the NFL teams sounds interesting, most players who have a chance in hell of ever making an impact in the league are probably already there.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 pm

I'll also say, I watched a few NFL Europe games when college stars I liked were playing (way back in the day before I pretty much decided I hated the NFL beyond gambling) and man... the NFL Europe was fucking bad.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I'll also say, I watched a few NFL Europe games when college stars I liked were playing (way back in the day before I pretty much decided I hated the NFL beyond gambling) and man... the NFL Europe was fucking bad.

Pffftt.... you didn't have to watch the Rhein Fire to see NFL-Europe caliber football around here. Check out the expansion roster of the '99 Browns.

I'd be fine with an exact replica of the USFL. The Browns raided that MFer in mid 80's for the core of guys that led them to those big years in the 80's.

Minnifield, Gossett, Mark Harper, Clancy, The Cube, Mike Johnson, Dan Fike and Kevin Mack. All to the Browns between 85-87. Everyone of them a starter/key contributor (Harper was a terrific nickel guy that would have started in any city other than where Dixon and Minnifield played). You can talk about Bernie and the Matthews and Ozzie draft in '78 or whatever, but no one used the USFL like the Browns did.

Maybe if the SEC collapses we can see an influx of talent like that again...
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Spin » Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Cool. More franchises merging, moving after winning the championship, moving every year, or trading franchises.

More teams sneaking into high school fields to practice. Having their uniforms repossessed. Missing payroll. Stranding players after the last game, unable to fly them back.

They should name it the World Football League, then franchises could move during the season and instead of using down markers, bring back the dickrod.

Fun times. Maybe the CFL will expand into the US again...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Bull Durham.

Couldn't possibly happen in this day and sports culture, but...

Bull Durham.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu May 17, 2012 12:36 am

Spin wrote:Cool. More franchises merging, moving after winning the championship, moving every year, or trading franchises.

More teams sneaking into high school fields to practice. Having their uniforms repossessed. Missing payroll. Stranding players after the last game, unable to fly them back.

They should name it the World Football League, then franchises could move during the season and instead of using down markers, bring back the dickrod.

You going to get season tix for when they bring back the Akron Vulcans pt.II?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:35 am

peeker643 wrote:I'd be fine with an exact replica of the USFL. The Browns raided that MFer in mid 80's for the core of guys that led them to those big years in the 80's.

Minnifield, Gossett, Mark Harper, Clancy, The Cube, Mike Johnson, Dan Fike and Kevin Mack. All to the Browns between 85-87. Everyone of them a starter/key contributor (Harper was a terrific nickel guy that would have started in any city other than where Dixon and Minnifield played). You can talk about Bernie and the Matthews and Ozzie draft in '78 or whatever, but no one used the USFL like the Browns did.

Maybe if the SEC collapses we can see an influx of talent like that again...

Wow, I was poised to make the same general comments, only without the SEC crack. Well played.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu May 17, 2012 8:49 am

Triple-S wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I had an argument with a friend in the late 90's about the XFL. He thought the XFL would work and be a viable alternative to the NFL.

The XFL really should have stayed the brain child of something the NBC wanted to do in the first place, which was pretty much a newly created league by the heads of a TV network.

Throwing McMahon's name into the ring wasn't a good thing and didn't exactly help with credibility. You had people expecting there'd be dudes with chairs hitting QB's, with "The Rock" playing safety. It...didn't happen that way.

The talent pool as well was incredibly mediocre. I mean, Tommy Maddox, Rod "He Hate Me Smart" ended up having "okay" careers in the end when the league crumbled, but they were really lacking any big names to promote the league. Thus, they had to rely on the WWE brand, and prayed that'd help and make the thing look legitimate.

I was intrigued by some of the ideas though. Some of the Camera's and access allowed by mics and such were excellent to see. I also felt that having a footrace for the ball rather than a coin toss was pretty awesome.

I still would love to see a Spring Football league come back.

A big issue with the XFL was not being in bed with ESPN.

ESPN would spend the first 10 minutes of Sportscenter busting on McMahon and the product, submarining it at every opportunity.......and then would spend the next 15 minutes literally blowing the X games. Yeah, having football with some off center rules is waaaay more ridiculous then a bunch of pot smokers doing "hot dog" ski tricks.

For a start-up, of fringe sport, you don't want to be against the sports giant.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 am

Loved ESPN when it started. Lumberjack contests like log rolling and tree climbing ruled.
And kick boxing and raquetball.

Almost never watch it now- maybe I am too old for their demographic anyway.

How anyone can tolerate Chris Berman has always puzzled me. The crap that comes out of his mouth triggers an instinct in me that begins with a face slap/open palm thrust to the nose combo.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu May 17, 2012 1:10 pm

leadpipe wrote:A big issue with the XFL was not being in bed with ESPN.

ESPN would spend the first 10 minutes of Sportscenter busting on McMahon and the product, submarining it at every opportunity.......and then would spend the next 15 minutes literally blowing the X games. Yeah, having football with some off center rules is waaaay more ridiculous then a bunch of pot smokers doing "hot dog" ski tricks.

For a start-up, of fringe sport, you don't want to be against the sports giant.

Well and a great point here.

I did recall seeing a clip on youtube, where Trey Ringo pretty much demeaned the product the whole time in kind of a quick review of the weekend, and declaring it as nothing all that special in the end.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only unimpressed with the X Games. I recall Sports Illustrated had an article in the early 2000's declaring that this was the new wave, and what all the kids were into, and that football, baseball and more traditional sports were on their way out.

They were of course..wrong. I would have actually much rather have seen a world where the XFL succeeded and the X games were stuck on a niche channel like "Surf"

Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:30 pm

ESPN is doing the same thing to the NHL, decreeing the NHL to small to spend $$$ on when they still cover the X Games. ESPN does what ESPN wants, thankfully NBCSports is going to aggressively be going after them soon. Shit, they just stole Michelle Beadle, who was ESPN's golden child.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Not being in bed with ESPN was indeed a problem, but having the league run by a joke like McMahon and stupid touches like having players put whatever they want on their jerseys ("He Hate Me") made it seem like it wasn't even trying to be a legitimate league.

I personally never watched one game since I had no interest in seeing what pro-wrestling-meets-football looked like.

This new USFL is going to act as a minor league, so it may do OK. But if any league wants to challenge the NFL, it has to appear professional and valid while embracing the violence of the sport that mainstream society (that don't watch football in the first place) abhors.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jwmann2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:18 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:I like it. A lot of solid players don't make NFL rosters, and that's it. There's nowhere overseas to go and play like there is for hoops. This way, they can make a name for themselves during the NFL's offseason and get invited to a camp.

Also, if you think about the collection of players, they should be better than 90% (if not all) college teams. That being said, I'd be pretty eager to watch the games. March/April can be pretty dismal for sports (besides March Madness). Top 3/4 of playoff squads are set going down the stretch in the NBA, and baseballs in Spring Training ===> Perfect time for some more football.

Well, you need to go to an NHL game my friend because has saved me between the end of the NFL season and the beginning of the MLB season. The league would work as long as they were in smaller towns and cities like Louisville, Akron, Toledo, San Jose. Gives people something to cheer for in their area. There is a ton of talent in the NFL that is constantly getting the boot and then resigned. It would be nice if they had somewhere to go. Google Ross Ventrone.
jwmann2

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:48 pm

It looks like Akron's team is going to buy the Rubber Bowl.
http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x18808 ... ubber-Bowl

Have the SEEN the Rubber Blow yet? The locker rooms with nails on the walls in place of lockers, no hot water in the showers, lack or restrooms for the fans, not handicapped accessible.

And I hope they realize the stadium is built on a spring and they have to rebuild the foundation every few years. And it's due again, which is one reason the Info was built.

On the other hand they can probably get that dump for a song, and save a lot of money on rent. IF they can get anybody in there to watch games. People are spoiled by the Info and Canal Park, and the new venues in Cleveland. I don't think I would take that bet.
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Spin wrote:It looks like Akron's team is going to buy the Rubber Bowl.
http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x18808 ... ubber-Bowl

Have the SEEN the Rubber Blow yet? The locker rooms with nails on the walls in place of lockers, no hot water in the showers, lack or restrooms for the fans, not handicapped accessible.

And I hope they realize the stadium is built on a spring and they have to rebuild the foundation every few years. And it's due again, which is one reason the Info was built.

On the other hand they can probably get that dump for a song, and save a lot of money on rent. IF they can get anybody in there to watch games. People are spoiled by the Info and Canal Park, and the new venues in Cleveland. I don't think I would take that bet.

Don't forget they still have troughs in the restrooms.

All I know is that it's right up the street from me and has ample room for excellent tailgating. Tix will be cheap as hell. Me and 50 others will be there.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:26 pm

If they do this league in the Spring ,and keep it low Key I think it could work. If they try to compete with the NFL, NCAA, and HSF in the fall then it will be a epic fail.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 am

Triple-S wrote:
Spin wrote:Cool. More franchises merging, moving after winning the championship, moving every year, or trading franchises.

You going to get season tix for when they bring back the Akron Vulcans pt.II?

I will when the Akron Pros get reinstated in the NFL.

The NFL's first champions.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 am

Govbarney wrote:If they do this league in the Spring ,and keep it low Key I think it could work. If they try to compete with the NFL, NCAA, and HSF in the fall then it will be a epic fail.

There's a buzz for the non-BCS and FCS conferences to switch to spring.

I don't like that idea.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:52 am

Hikohadon wrote:Don't forget they still have troughs in the restrooms.

All I know is that it's right up the street from me and has ample room for excellent tailgating. Tix will be cheap as hell. Me and 50 others will be there.

How could I forget that? Or the skanks who would hang out outside the door trying to look in... Fun times fer sure.

I'd probably go. I'd much rather go to the Info, but that's not possible for the team to play there and break even (no concessions, parking, merchandise, can you say Cleveland Barons?).

Maybe they can sell beer at the RB and turn it into a party bowl. :cheers: It's not a place to take the family, make it a place for a guy's night out. :partyers:
Spin

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 am

Spin wrote:
Govbarney wrote:If they do this league in the Spring ,and keep it low Key I think it could work. If they try to compete with the NFL, NCAA, and HSF in the fall then it will be a epic fail.

There's a buzz for the non-BCS and FCS conferences to switch to spring.

I don't like that idea.

I can't see that ever happening. What I do see happening is the growth of 7 on 7 Football which is primarily played in the spring. Its already a varsity sport in many states, and I hear Urban Meyer is pushing hard for the OHSAA to adopt a similar program. Before long I can see this becoming more then just club college sport, and morph into something the NCAA and maybe even the NFL show interest in.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL