Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Great news: Browns interested in doing what they always do

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Great news: Browns interested in doing what they always do

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Trading down!, via Grossi.

Question: Anything below 6 risks losing out on Blackmon, Richardson and Claiborne, no? Willing to take that risk?
CleSportsTruth

Re: Great news: Browns interested in doing what they always

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 pm

OH NO! BUT WHAT ABOUT TEH PLAYMAKERS!!

The worst part of a trade down will be listening to everyone scream about passing up "playmakers". Personally, I don't see anyone at 4 that is worth that pick most years and is appreciably better than other players you can get later.

I'm all for trading down.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:34 pm

I have 3 reasons to like this idea:

Little

Cribbs

Slow Mass
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 pm

motherscratcher wrote:OH NO! BUT WHAT ABOUT TEH PLAYMAKERS!!

The worst part of a trade down will be listening to everyone scream about passing up "playmakers". Personally, I don't see anyone at 4 that is worth that pick most years and is appreciably better than other players you can get later.

I'm all for trading down.

Not to pick a fight, but when, exactly (and how, since we are not active in FA as per "The Plan") do you propose we acquire "playmakers"? Do we not need any? Or will we just get them later? Maybe in the superfantabulous draft of 2014 where every pick is destined for the HOF?

I just do not see how to build a team with mid 1st round picks. By some talking head accounts there are 6 difference making studs in this draft. We desperately need one of those.

Put another way, when does the statute of limitations expire on "the cupboard was bare" excuse? I hoped it was after the 2011 draft. I guess not.

ETA - "Not trading out of the top 10" changes my take a bit. They like a guy that would be a reach at 4 and if he slides to 8 or so they'll try and get him. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is trading to get more picks simply to get more picks.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 pm

HEY Fuck You Matt! Why are you always riding people picking fits and shit!?

I assume that included in the 6 playmakers is Blackmon and Richardson. I guess I'm just not as excited about those guys, partly due to the position that they play. I don't want a RB that high, and Blackmon leaves me uninspired in relation to what you would expect a receiver drafted #4 to be.

I guess another guy is Claiborne. I like him but after drafting Haden...I don't know.

It's not that I'm opposed to playmakers. Obviously we need them. But you can't automatically make a guy something you don't think he is just because you draft him #4.

If they think a guy is worth that pick and going to be a stud then by all means take him. I just don't know if I think anyone who is available is that guy. Maybe it's just my own personal RG3 rebound.

I don't want them to not trade down for the sake of not trading down, even if trading down is the best thing...if that makes any sense.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Basically, if younthink Blackmon is a playmaking stud, pick him at 4. By all means.

But, if you don't think he is, picking him at #4 doesnt turn him into that.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Basically, if younthink Blackmon is a playmaking stud, pick him at 4. By all means.

But, if you don't think he is, picking him at #4 doesnt turn him into that.

The issue is he isn't. The gap between Blackmon and Floyd (when sober) is negligible. The gap between Blackmon and Wright is a bit bigger but Wright is still a terrific WR.

Same with Richardson. The gap between Richardson and L Miller is wider than the WR gap above, but not so great as that you wouldn't be thrilled with how good Miller is and how much better he is than what ya got.

And Wilson might be in that same neighborhood.

If you need RBs and WRs (and OL) this is your year. Excellent value and talent to be had outside that top ten. If someone wants Claiborne, TRichardson, Kalil, or whomever it is they really want, I'm praying the Browns move back a bit and get a couple more picks and/or use a few of those 4th-5th-6th to move back into 2nd and 3rd for that depth.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Justin Blackmon terrifies me. Bottom line: You only pick WR Top 5 if it is Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson levels of confidence in the player.

You can't pick a god damn cornerback. You can I guess. But you need SO MUCH on offense, it would be lunacy to use a precious #1 pick on D.

Richardson to me has a very low bust % and should be a good back. But #4? In a league with 60% passes? And 10 of last years 15 rushers being smaller backs. Not at #4. No thanks.

Kalil would be my preference of all these guys if on da board.

But EOD, I am ALL ABOUT the trade down this year. Never made more sense. Still get great players with the trade down pick, #22, #37 ... maybe pick up another 4th/5th. And add a #1 next year so we're positioned well to get outbid again to trade up to get next year's unexpected breakout QB.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Agree

But that won't stop every asshole with a Browns hoodie and the dexterity to punch a few numbers into a phone from calling Chuck Fucking Booms and screaming about how Holmgren (and they will mostly say Holmgren) doesnt want playmakers.

It's almost like this:

People don't want Blackmon at 4 because he's a playmakers. Blackmon is a playmaker BECAUSE he was taken at 4.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm

I think half of these second tier WRs Peeker and JAskew have been profiling will be better NFL players than Blackmon.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm fine (actually hopeful they do it) with trading back a few spots, maybe to 6 or 7, maybe as far as 8. But no further.

There's no playmaker they can get at 4 that they can't get the same quality a few picks later.

If someone trades up to get Blackmon, you take Richardson and draft one of the WR's that's just about as good as Blackmon (Floyd, Wright, Hill) later.

If someone trades up to get Richardson, you take Blackmon and draft one of the other RB's that are just about as good as Richardson later.

It's a chance worth taking since neither Blackmon or Richardson is a world-beater or exceptional can't-pass-up talent.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 am

motherscratcher wrote:HEY Fuck You Matt! Why are you always riding people picking fits and shit!?

I assume that included in the 6 playmakers is Blackmon and Richardson. I guess I'm just not as excited about those guys, partly due to the position that they play. I don't want a RB that high, and Blackmon leaves me uninspired in relation to what you would expect a receiver drafted #4 to be.

I guess another guy is Claiborne. I like him but after drafting Haden...I don't know.

It's not that I'm opposed to playmakers. Obviously we need them. But you can't automatically make a guy something you don't think he is just because you draft him #4.

If they think a guy is worth that pick and going to be a stud then by all means take him. I just don't know if I think anyone who is available is that guy. Maybe it's just my own personal RG3 rebound.

I don't want them to not trade down for the sake of not trading down, even if trading down is the best thing...if that makes any sense.

Everything Lee writes about you is true. Glad you love Browns Brand Football with no playmakers so much, butt munch. There's plenty of PSL's out there for sale. You can take your pick.

Nah, seriously, move down like Heckert says, but not lower than 8. And it MUST net me a 2nd rounder minimum. No day three boolcrud.

If that means I can get the WR, RB, ORT that we MUST obtain and the extra pick allows a flier on Weeden, I'm for it. If it also allows a CB and S prospect earlier than day three, or maybe a decent guard to sit Lavao down, coolio.

But slot me down to pick 20 and draft Jonathan Martin and a slew a meh "playmakers" in rounds 2 and 3 who can be The Next Generation (TM) of Northcutt's, Prentice's, JuJuan's, Andre's, Quincy's, James Johnsons', MoMass', biske's, Hardesty's ..... you get the idea?

No fucking way.

At some point you have to stop listening to the wanna be draftniks who know enough to make them dumb and keep telling you a Hundai Genesis is allllllmost as good as that BMW 5 series and accept that you can't make a Kahuna burger out of Alpo.

Long story short -- have no problem trading down a few slots in the top 10, but you better come out of this with a primo playmaker and you better get something of value YOU ACTUALLY USE in 2012 for it.

Edit - Any comments here are strictly in the sense of broadest brush intension. Not meant to resemble any actually single or duo of actual human beings. Any resemblance is purely coincidental. I've just spent so many years of reading over analysis trying to get me to believe the hype that a sow's ear is indeed a silk purse due to post-season over analysis or a highlight reel that I just am a cynical cuss. I'm talking "Keith Baldwin is just as good as Marty Lyons cause Prothro says so" cynical. Sure you can find playmakers later, and there's always gonna be your Peter Warricks, but the hit rate over the years in round one vs later rounds is beyond refute. There's reasons guys go on day one vs day two or three.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 am

FWIW - I don't think you have to worry about Blackmon, Swerb. He's on record with some very disparaging remarks about the Browns. Can't see that happening.

Dropping 2 - 3 slots suggests targeting Richardson or Tannyhill to me.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 am

jb wrote:FWIW - I don't think you have to worry about Blackmon, Swerb. He's on record with some very disparaging remarks about the Browns. Can't see that happening.

I hate rewarding this kind of behavior by giving them what they want.

What the Browns should do is announce early on in the process that if you (the draftable player) make any disparaging remarks - either publicly or privately - about the Browns, then they will immediately move you up the boards to ensure that they DO draft you, then send you on crossing routes right at James Harrison every damn play.

That'll shut 'em up.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am

jb wrote:FWIW - I don't think you have to worry about Blackmon, Swerb. He's on record with some very disparaging remarks about the Browns. Can't see that happening.

Dropping 2 - 3 slots suggests targeting Richardson or Tannyhill to me.

SD:

I think thats backlash , from when leach was there and had a run in with mangina over how they dogged Harrell and that idiot Dez Bryant...

Blackmon knows as much about the Browns as FMB does about Rap .

just a kid parrotting shit like he knows somethin.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am

swerb wrote:Justin Blackmon terrifies me. Bottom line: You only pick WR Top 5 if it is Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson levels of confidence in the player.

You can't pick a god damn cornerback. You can I guess. But you need SO MUCH on offense, it would be lunacy to use a precious #1 pick on D.

Richardson to me has a very low bust % and should be a good back. But #4? In a league with 60% passes? And 10 of last years 15 rushers being smaller backs. Not at #4. No thanks.

Kalil would be my preference of all these guys if on da board.

But EOD, I am ALL ABOUT the trade down this year. Never made more sense. Still get great players with the trade down pick, #22, #37 ... maybe pick up another 4th/5th. And add a #1 next year so we're positioned well to get outbid again to trade up to get next year's unexpected breakout QB.

SD:

Blackmon has the change of direction and ability to run routes which make him the perfect pick for this system .
( Even though we ave absolute shit to throw him the damn ball )

Heckerts comments were aimed at two teams .

They would like to do bidness with the Rams and net one of those Wasington #1's and entice them to come back up for Blackmon because Kalil will be a Vike , they would normally take a second and an ancillary pick but not after the bad blood dirty laundry issue over RG3 .

If they net the goodies they grab Fannyhill , otherwise they'll seek that #1 from the Dulphins and move down to 8 hoping Richardson dropped with them .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm actually for a fair hefty tradeback.

If we made it out of RD 1 with Miller, Wright, an extra 3rd and a #1 next year I'm all about it.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Blackmon knows as much about the Browns as FMB does about Rap .

You're right SD....the only thing I know about rap is that you can't spell crap without it...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Blackmon knows as much about the Browns as FMB does about Rap .

You're right SD....the only thing I know about rap is that you can't spell crap without it...

SD:

Thats a good one but this should set your hair on Fire .

These dummies need to reach for tanneyhill and be done with it .

Then use the number one the next three fuckin years if they have too on QB until they get one .

We have 12 other picks to make up for an early raech on the 20th best player in the draft if he's the top QB on the board after Luck and RG3 , we're forced to reach because these jackasses passed last year in a QB deep draft .

No need to wait until next year to find out we're out of position and are in the same situation just reach now you miserable fuckin Jackasses and have done with it.

So since they missed on RG3 and they claim they were gonna use three #1's if they had been allowed to rebid ( yeah right ) , then let them spend a number one the next three years until you get the one you missed.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Pay attention....it don't cost much

Tannehill will not be a Brown and McCoy will be the starter......

Let the butthurt flow brotherdawg
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Pay attention....it don't cost much

Tannehill will not be a Brown and McCoy will be the starter......

Let the butthurt flow brotherdawg

Still beats an Eyesore
SoulDawg74

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 pm

JCoz wrote:I'm actually for a fair hefty tradeback.

If we made it out of RD 1 with Miller, Wright, an extra 3rd and a #1 next year I'm all about it.

One, I don't think you'd get a 1 next yr. out of it. Two, while I might agree that the gap between the WR's is pretty small, I don't for a second buy that for RB. Richardson is the clear top dog, IMHO.

Either way, isn't it time the Browns pick the BEST guy at his position, for once, and not settling for "value?" I do. Even if it's a "reach."

Look, if you guarantee me that either Richardson or Blackmon will drop to 6 or 8, then do it. Two problems, though. One, the Bucs just might take Richardson at 5, with Blackmon going to StL at either 4 or 6. Two, someone trades up with TB or Jax. You cannot be reasonably confident that either guy will drop to you, so, IMHO, you swallow hard, and pick either at 4.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Aren't we talking about the same general level of talent from 4ish on?

I don't see much reason not to gain extra picks.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 pm

I agree with Cle.... Richardson is beyond other backs. If they go route I'll be okay.

But if they trade back a few spots, pick up a pick or two in solid spots, well, I'll be happy.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:37 am

CleSportsTruth wrote:
JCoz wrote:I'm actually for a fair hefty tradeback.

One, I don't think you'd get a 1 next yr. out of it. Two, while I might agree that the gap between the WR's is pretty small, I don't for a second buy that for RB. Richardson is the clear top dog, IMHO.

Either way, isn't it time the Browns pick the BEST guy at his position, for once, and not settling for "value?" I do. Even if it's a "reach."

Look, if you guarantee me that either Richardson or Blackmon will drop to 6 or 8, then do it. Two problems, though. One, the Bucs just might take Richardson at 5, with Blackmon going to StL at either 4 or 6. Two, someone trades up with TB or Jax. You cannot be reasonably confident that either guy will drop to you, so, IMHO, you swallow hard, and pick either at 4.

One, I never said there wasn't a large gap between richardson and Miller. I said I'd be thrilled with Miller and Wright.

Two, If the Browns traded back into Miller type range, it absolutely brings a #1 and then some to do it.

CleSportsTruth wrote:Either way, isn't it time the Browns pick the BEST guy at his position, for once, and not settling for "value?"

The Browns got the #1 QB prospect in Couch, #1 DE prospect in the Quiet Storm, #1 WR prospect in Braylon, the #1 Tackle in Thomas, #1 TE in Winslow, #1 CB in Haden, and a couple others you could also argue were the top rated prospects at their position. So lets not pretend that trading down happens more than it really does.

The clear BPA on offense is Richardson, a RB. This is important because if you are asking me whether I feel the Browns just HAVE to take the best player at THAT position just “because” I’m going to say no, absolutely no.

You know what I’d rather have? Another 1st round Bullet for next year so we can spend it moving up to take an elite talent at a position that matters more than running back. I wish that was available this year at 4, I wish we’d have been able to move up for Griffen but such is life, we lost that fight. Doesn’t mean I’m going to get punchdrunk and forget that Elite RB’s don’t get you all that much in this league, or that Blackmon isn’t close to the prospect that Green and Jones were last year.

So if someone else in the teens that already has that Qb or is Mike Ditka stupid wants to give me a #1 and then some to move on down and grab Miller instead, I’ll do it and not blink.

If I’m forced to stick I’ll begrudgingly take Richardson knowing that I got a great player. Not a horrible consolation prize and gets the short sighted off my back but doesn’t make getting the QB you need much easier.
JCoz

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am

These dummies need to reach for tanneyhill and be done with it .

SoulDawg[/quote]

You know, I think this is exactly what the Browns are angling to do. Trade down within top 8, take the WR ..er
QB from A&M.

Tanney will go in the top 12, probably top 10 due to the black hole density at the top with Luck & RG goin 1,2.

I can't project Tanney vs. Weeden. Of course I don't get paid millions to do it either, but you'd think H & H could caus Colt although brave can't throw the wide side out.

This will be interesting.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:26 am

pod2dawg wrote:These dummies need to reach for tanneyhill and be done with it .

SoulDawg

You know, I think this is exactly what the Browns are angling to do. Trade down within top 8, take the WR ..er
QB from A&M.

Tanney will go in the top 12, probably top 10 due to the black hole density at the top with Luck & RG goin 1,2.

I can't project Tanney vs. Weeden. Of course I don't get paid millions to do it either, but you'd think H & H could caus Colt although brave can't throw the wide side out.

This will be interesting.[/quote]

Word is the phins are working hard to trade up for Tannyhill and the Browns have him in play now at 4.

It could happen. Still feel in' Richardson.
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am

^^^^^^ That would actually be good. Heckert has them believin.

The fish can have Tanney, we drop down get Richardson & another pick. Everybody is happy...except the fish looking for a Qb again next year. :)
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:48 am

Except Richardson going to TB, no?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am

pup wrote:Except Richardson going to TB, no?

I've heard this too, but I haven't figured out how Blount is so bad that the worst defensive team in the NFL needs to take another RB in the Top 5.

Guess there's a reason that bad teams stay bad.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

If the Browns trade down to 8 and both Blackmon & Richardson are gone, take Coples and be done with it. Take a WR with the 22. Take a RB with the 37.

EDIT - Fisher says the Rams open to trading up to #4, presumably to get Blackmon.

What can you squeeze out of STL for that trade? They've got a surplus of 1's coming up, maybe you can get one of those? Or maybe Washington's 2 from this year (that's a pretty high 2)? That would give them 6, 22, 37, and 39 in this draft. In theory, 4 new starters.
Hikohadon

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 am

Two contradictory rumors regarding the QB spot

Tannehill
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... xid=cnnbin

McCoy
http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/27/pat-s ... =nfl_t2_a8

Smoke screening to get some interest in people (Miami) in trading up to get Tannehill at 4?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:55 am

OldDawg wrote:Two contradictory rumors regarding the QB spot

Tannehill
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... xid=cnnbin

McCoy
http://tracking.si.com/2012/03/27/pat-s ... =nfl_t2_a8

Smoke screening to get some interest in people (Miami) in trading up to get Tannehill at 4?

Why can't it be both? There's no way Tannehill is ready to start game one. If ever.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If the Browns trade down to 8 and both Blackmon & Richardson are gone, take Coples and be done with it. Take a WR with the 22. Take a RB with the 37.

EDIT - Fisher says the Rams open to trading up to #4, presumably to get Blackmon.

What can you squeeze out of STL for that trade? They've got a surplus of 1's coming up, maybe you can get one of those? Or maybe Washington's 2 from this year (that's a pretty high 2)? That would give them 6, 22, 37, and 39 in this draft. In theory, 4 new starters.

I'd do it for as little as St Lou's 2 this year and a pick next.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If the Browns trade down to 8 and both Blackmon & Richardson are gone, take Coples and be done with it. Take a WR with the 22. Take a RB with the 37.

SD:

That would make picking Fannyhill a tolerably less reach when you add in the cherry and net two fer one.

One of their #1's next year is the ticket , i like it better than DC's #2 this year , a our 22 already leaves us in good shape .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I agree build a Defense that can compete in a division with 2 A+ Defenses, and 1 B+ Defense. You add Couples and in a year or two your looking at the best front four in the Division, possibly the conference. I keep thinking back to the Giants SB run, and I believe it was there D-line which gave them a edge over the competition and made up for some other shortcomings. That D-line was able make two future "franchise" Hall of Fame QBs (Rogers & Brady) look really human, and in my eyes still showed that good Defense will still more often then not beat good offense.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Govbarney wrote:

I agree build a Defense that can compete in a division with 2 A+ Defenses, and 1 B+ Defense. You add Couples and in a year or two your looking at the best front four in the Division, possibly the conference. I keep thinking back to the Giants SB run, and I believe it was there D-line which gave them a edge over the competition and made up for some other shortcomings. That D-line was able make two future "franchise" Hall of Fame QBs (Rogers & Brady) look really human, and in my eyes still showed that good Defense will still more often then not beat good offense.

SD:

Thats banking a lot on a DE whose work ethic supposedly makes Big money look like lou the handi man.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Govbarney wrote:I agree build a Defense that can compete in a division with 2 A+ Defenses, and 1 B+ Defense. You add Couples and in a year or two your looking at the best front four in the Division, possibly the conference. I keep thinking back to the Giants SB run, and I believe it was there D-line which gave them a edge over the competition and made up for some other shortcomings. That D-line was able make two future "franchise" Hall of Fame QBs (Rogers & Brady) look really human, and in my eyes still showed that good Defense will still more often then not beat good offense.

Eli & Tuck/Uyeimora/Pierre-Paul > Brady & Jack/Squat
Rodgers & Raji/Matthews > Rottenberger & Polamalu/Harrison
Brees & Dog The Bounty Hunters > Peyton & Whatever Happened To Dwight Freeney
Rottenberger & Polamalu/Harrison > Warner & Jack/Squat

I think I'm starting to see a trend here, but I can't quite formulate into a few easy words.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:32 pm

The brilliance of the Browns is that they always have so many holes, they can afford to draft any number of positions. Its not like they are just a WR or a CB away from being a playoff team. If so, they'd have to take a WR or CB at #4. But when you can draft a WR, CB, QB, RB, or LB, then you can trade down and still plug a hole.

This team has been well designed to be built through the draft. By letting talent constantly leave, and rarely bringing talent in, they create so many holes that they never have to actually use a high draft pick. Rather they can trade down for more picks. Masterful. Brilliant.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

I've heard this too, but I haven't figured out how Blount is so bad that the worst defensive team in the NFL needs to take another RB in the Top 5.

I thought the word was he's completely uncoachable and cannot understand the simplest of pass protections.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:52 pm

JCoz wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

I thought the word was he's completely uncoachable and cannot understand the simplest of pass protections.

I find that shocking.

Next thing you'll tell me that Dennis Rodman is such a complete idiot he burned through his playing day millions.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:This team has been well designed to be built through the draft. By letting talent constantly leave, and rarely bringing talent in, they create so many holes that they never have to actually use a high draft pick. Rather they can trade down for more picks. Masterful. Brilliant.

Can I quote you to the point of shameless plagiarism?
jb

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Govbarney wrote:

One, Eli Manning? Two, sure, b/c scoring is TOTALLY overrated in the NFL. :gah:
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm

jb wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:This team has been well designed to be built through the draft. By letting talent constantly leave, and rarely bringing talent in, they create so many holes that they never have to actually use a high draft pick. Rather they can trade down for more picks. Masterful. Brilliant.

Can I quote you to the point of shameless plagiarism?

its yours
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:
Govbarney wrote:

One, Eli Manning? Two, sure, b/c scoring is TOTALLY overrated in the NFL. :gah:

I think it's safe to say that there's no way we can get an Eli Manning in this draft (now). There's no way they can deal with that hole this year.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I think it's safe to say that there's no way we can get an Eli Manning in this draft (now).

heh. Just wait until April 27th's posts when they pick Tannyhill and the fan bois get all excited in their circe jerk.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I think it's safe to say that there's no way we can get an Eli Manning in this draft (now).

heh. Just wait until April 27th's posts when they pick Tannyhill and the fan bois get all excited in their circe jerk.

SD:

Whaaat reachin for Fannyhill aint the same thang , hell its the same spot damn near as eli and he has more letters in his last name , so there .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Trading down to take Tannehill will go something like this:

Almost everyone will freak out initially. Someone will claim that he's "done" with the Browns. Someone will joke that Tannehill's agent must be LaMonte.

A few days will go by.

Most people will rebound from the disappointment and reason "Well, for better or for worse, he's the QB of the future around here. Guess we'll have to wait and see if maybe he's worth a squirt of piss."

By Training Camp, yes, Tannehill will have his camp too.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Trading down to take Tannehill will go something like this:

Almost everyone will freak out initially. Someone will claim that he's "done" with the Browns. Someone will joke that Tannehill's agent must be LaMonte.

A few days will go by.

Most people will rebound from the disappointment and reason "Well, for better or for worse, he's the QB of the future around here. Guess we'll have to wait and see if maybe he's worth a squirt of piss."

By Training Camp, yes, Tannehill will have his camp too.

Sounds eerily accurate - you aren't the male precog from Minority Report by any chance, are you?

In the meantime, more grist for the mill

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/28/cosell-talks-the-tannehill-project/
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 pm

JB called Motherscratcher a "butt munch". That's the highlight of this thread.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL