Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Walrus Has No Balls - RG3 a Redskin

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Walrus Has No Balls - RG3 a Redskin

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:So, for the tenth time, the NFL voted to have a no cap system and Goodell decided to make rules against gaming the system when he had no right to make those rules?

He's a cock and this is a load of bullshit. It goes against the very definition of "collective bargaining"

What I'm getting is that nobody seems to care about this but you.

That's good and all, but you guys might want to take notice of your favorite league's commish breaking the spirit of collective bargaining just to be a cocksucker. And you may want to consider that fucking RGIII over this could really suck for, you know, the sport.

SD:

The owners colluded during the absence of a CBA agreement to set limits, based on the projected revenue cap estimates of the projected future goals .

Jones Snyder the Saints and Raiduhs to a lesser extent violated the spirit of the back room deal , and their fellow owners sent in Marshall Wyatt earp Goodell to brand their ass and hang their hides as an example .

next .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 am

E0 it's funny that you think this is goodwill and not the other 39 owners driving this.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 am

e0y2e3 wrote:That's good and all, but you guys might want to take notice of your favorite league's commish breaking the spirit of collective bargaining just to be a cocksucker. And you may want to consider that fucking RGIII over this could really suck for, you know, the sport.

The sport will be just fine with or without RG3. He's not a Brown, so I couldn't care less if he gets fucked over or not.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:09 am

SD's point that there was illegal collusion is probably correct.

The fact that there was, in the midst of a bullshit money grab run by the league owners, does not make my point any worse.

And Goodell owns the league, due to exactly how it is set up, he's the one punishing people.

This is as bad if not worse then Stern handing Chris Paul to Donald Sterling and is actually a pretty big freaking deal. Again, it goes completely against the spirit of collective bargaining, which is a big freaking deal. Goodell should be fired for this.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:14 am

BTW: when there is no CBA and no cap what the Skins, Saints, Cowboys and Raiders did was the smart approach, what Goodell is doing is illegal. You should all be pissed the Browns didn't do it. Shitty ownership and no balls.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 am

e0y2e3 wrote:BTW: when there is no CBA and no cap what the Skins, Saints, Cowboys and Raiders did was the smart approach, what Goodell is doing is illegal. You should all be pissed the Browns didn't do it. Shitty ownership and no balls.

While there was no CBA, there are still rules.

Rules the OWNERS put in place and agreed to. They, being in the group of people that agreed to those rules broke them. And got caught. So they get fucked. Perfect ending for both those clusterfucks.

Now, if he was fining players for signing those contracts, I could see your point.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 am

pup wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:BTW: when there is no CBA and no cap what the Skins, Saints, Cowboys and Raiders did was the smart approach, what Goodell is doing is illegal. You should all be pissed the Browns didn't do it. Shitty ownership and no balls.

Rules the OWNERS put in place and agreed to. They, being in the group of people that agreed to those rules broke them. And got caught. So they get fucked. Perfect ending for both those clusterfucks.

Now, if he was fining players for signing those contracts, I could see your point.

There were no legal rules in place. There was back-room collusion. The players were not operating under a CBA, that means there was no legal set for the league.

Collusion, and illegal collusion at that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 am

And, fwiw, if players were punished due to the illegal collusion I'd be calling for disbandment of the league instead of just Goodell's head.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:25 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
pup wrote:

There were no legal rules in place. There was back-room collusion. The players were not operating under a CBA, that means there was no legal set for the league.

Collusion, and illegal collusion at that.

The owners had rules. Rules THEY established. Just because a couple thought "fuck, Roger will let this slide because we are boys" and tried to get away with it doesn't mean there were not rules.

The players did not have rules, agreed. The owners most definitely did. And if they did not, than this will get turned over in about 3.4 nanoseconds.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 am

Handshake rules are not real legal rules.

The problem is this won't get overturned, because no one has the balls to call out the mighty NFL.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 am

Also, ask yourself this Pup, whatever these "rules" the owners colluded to put together were, they ultimately were aimed at impacting how the players were paid. You cannot legally do that when you don't have a CBA. That is the core of the issue for me.

These "rules" directly impacted players paychecks. That is a load of horse-shit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Handshake rules are not real legal rules.

The problem is this won't get overturned, because no one has the balls to call out the mighty NFL.

Ah, handshake rules are not legal rules. Gotcha.

So if 32 teams all verbally agree not to exploit a loophole (albeit a "legal" one) that is not breaking any written rules, when 4 teams do break it you don't expect the other 28 team and the "boss" to take it out on the 4 teams? "Legal" or not.

If the 4 teams gave their word not to exploit the loophole and did, shame on them and they got what they had coming.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am

Handshake rules...? Is that kind of like a "gentlemen's closed bid" ? ..........never knew the owners had either in them. I was wrong.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 am

This is insane.

I don't know how you could see it any other way than e0y sees it. Unless I'm missing something, with no CBA with a cap in place there is no legal basis to penalize a team for structuring contracts and paying players any way they damn well please. The other teams may not like it, but that's tough shit.

There has to be more to this than I'm getting because to penalize a team for not adhearing to the other teams illegal collusion tactics is ridiculous.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:51 am

pod2dawg wrote:Handshake rules...? Is that kind of like a "gentlemen's closed bid" ? ..........never knew the owners had either in them. I was wrong.

It is a question of charachter.

With nothing in writing do you honor the agreement or do you not?

Having lived in DC and "experienced" Dan Snyder first hand, it is not a surprise that he did not honor it.

Maybe I am old school and my word means something but the 4 teams that didn't honor it got what they deserved.

My 10 pesos.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 am

DrPoove wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Handshake rules...? Is that kind of like a "gentlemen's closed bid" ? ..........never knew the owners had either in them. I was wrong.

Having lived in DC and "experienced" Dan Snyder first hand, it is not a surprise that he did not honor it.

Maybe I am old school and my word means something but the 4 teams that didn't honor it got what they deserved.

My 10 pesos.

OK great. We all agree. Dan Snyder is an asshole. He has no character. But that cannot be the basis for formally penalizing a franchise. HE did nothing that he wasn't legally allowed to do.

We're talking about fucking handshakes?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:03 am

motherscratcher wrote:
DrPoove wrote:

My 10 pesos.

OK great. We all agree. Dan Snyder is an asshole. He has no character. But that cannot be the basis for formally penalizing a franchise. HE did nothing that he wasn't legally allowed to do.

We're talking about fucking handshakes?

Once again, it is a question of charachter.

You would make an verbal/handshake agrement with a bunch of people and then break it. I would not.

If one did break that "agreement" and would not expect some backlash, they are naive. Payback is a bitch.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am

Again, the owners had no legal right to put rules in place that could impact how the players were paid.

It's collusion and against the entire point of having CBAs and collective bargaining.

The fact that these backroom rules were established is wrong in its own right.

Two of the major sports leagues have now pulled some bullshit move in the last six months, Stern with CP3 not being a Laker and this. This sucks.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

DrPoove wrote:Once again, it is a question of charachter.

You would make an verbal/handshake agrement with a bunch of people and then break it. I would not.

If one did break that "agreement" and would not expect some backlash, they are naive. Payback is a bitch.

All of the owners are allowed to be mad at Snyder. They are allowed to think he's the biggest poopypants in history. They can hold their breath and lay down in the isles and kick their feet like toddles throwing a tantrum.

What they cannot do* is formally fine and punish a team for not adhearing to their illegal back room wink wink deals.

Again. and I don't know how else to say it. You cannot be fined for lack of character.

*Apparently I'm wrong because they did. I just don't see how they can get away with it.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:19 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Again, the owners had no legal right to put rules in place that could impact how the players were paid.

It's collusion and against the entire point of having CBAs and collective bargaining.

The fact that these backroom rules were established is wrong in its own right.

Two of the major sports leagues have now pulled some bullshit move in the last six months, Stern with CP3 not being a Laker and this. This sucks.

I'm not saying they had a legal right to do this.

All I am saying is that if the 4 teams who did this did not expect some sort of retribution from the other 28 and especially, The Commissioner, then they were very, very naive.

Goodell has enough of a track record for throwing the hammer down, legal or not, that this is not surprising to me.

Once again, it's whether you fall on the legal side or the charachter/honor/word side of things.

I see and comprehend your side of the argument. I just fall on the other side.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am

Man, the NFL must be dumb. To blatantly flaunt a clearly illegal activity and then fine teams for not adhering to those illegal activities? Maybe we should change it to Don Goodell.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 am

pup wrote:Man, the NFL must be dumb. To blatantly flaunt a clearly illegal activity and then fine teams for not adhering to those illegal activities? Maybe we should change it to Don Goodell.

You have watched how these leagues operate for how many years now? Legal/in good faith/etc are not part of it.

Christ if watching those two lockouts last year didn't make that clear watching an commish untrade a player should....

And ESPN/etc won't say shit about it.

The next time this will come up will be behind closed doors during the next lockout.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 am

How is it illegal if it was agreed to as part of the CBA with the players?

I dont know how anyone can feel sorry for those teams after reading this:

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/3/12/2865621/washington-redskins-and-dallas-cowboys-punishment-agreed-on-by-nfl

I know the conclusions draw say this is a cartel, but the NFL is its own entity and if those penalties were agreed to as a starting point for the new CBA....

I dont really get those conclusions
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 am

Again, collusion between the owners impacted players salaries when no CBA was in place.

Force feeding it to the players as part of negotiations is cute and will protect them from law suits, but it in no way makes running a league like this excusable.

Collusion, guided and ran by Mr. Goodell, pure and simple with a line thrown into the new CBA to cover it up after the fact.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 am

"Start acting like a cartel..."??? That is funny.

Pro sports yippee!
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Again, collusion between the owners impacted players salaries when no CBA was in place.

Force feeding it to the players as part of negotiations is cute and will protect them from law suits, but it in no way makes running a league like this excusable.

Collusion, guided and ran by Mr. Goodell, pure and simple with a line thrown into the new CBA to cover it up after the fact.

Then don't sign the fucking CBA. It isn't like they snuck that line in there. Owners were told they would be punished for doing. Owners (2, maybe 4) said "he can't punish us because then they would have to admit to collusion" so they did whatever they wanted. No, it was not enforceable at the time, which is why the commissioner's office signed off on the contracts. But they were sure as shit told they would pay for it in the future.

And whatever it was the owner's gave up in negotiations to get this rule in place so they could go after the 2 (maybe 4) owners who said F U, I am sure the players are just fine with it.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 am

Yes, the players who were staring at being told they were going to start missing games didn't throw a hissy fit about this being covered up after the fact by the owners.

Still collusion and still a load of shit.

But hey, good for Goodell getting it baked into negotiations where he was threatening to cancel an entire season so he could cover his own collusion.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Yes, the players who were staring at being told they were going to start missing games didn't throw a hissy fit about this being covered up after the fact by the owners.

But hey, good for Goodell getting it baked into negotiations where he was threatening to cancel an entire season so he could cover his own collusion.

Come on dude. Cancel the season just to cover this up? Shake yourself.

The players got something for allowing this. Pure and simple. Jerry and Danny didn't believe Roger could swing that in the CBA so they told him to fuck off and game Deangelo Hall more upfront guaranteed money than any corner in the history of the world. Miles Austin got paid like a combo of Rice and Moss for 1 year.

Roger got his way. Again.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 am

pup wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Yes, the players who were staring at being told they were going to start missing games didn't throw a hissy fit about this being covered up after the fact by the owners.

Come on dude. Cancel the season just to cover this up? Shake yourself.

The players got something for allowing this. Pure and simple. Jerry and Danny didn't believe Roger could swing that in the CBA so they told him to fuck off and game Deangelo Hall more upfront guaranteed money than any corner in the history of the world. Miles Austin got paid like a combo of Rice and Moss for 1 year.

Roger got his way. Again.

I agree.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 am

No, I am talking about the actual negotiations.

Shit like this wasn't even discussed I am sure until after the fact when the small crap was ironed out.

The crux of the negotiations was "no season" and "money share." Just because this hit the line items of crap that was ironed out after the pie was split doesn't make it any less disgusting of a business practice.

And again, instead of proper exposure we'll get two more weeks of ESPN talking about one thousand dollar bounties.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 am

DrPoove wrote:I'm not saying they had a legal right to do this.

All I am saying is that if the 4 teams who did this did not expect some sort of retribution from the other 28 and especially, The Commissioner, then they were very, very naive.

Goodell has enough of a track record for throwing the hammer down, legal or not, that this is not surprising to me.

Once again, it's whether you fall on the legal side or the charachter/honor/word side of things.

I see and comprehend your side of the argument. I just fall on the other side.

This.

Of course it was collusion. All the owners got together and said that they were going to play by an unwritten set of rules. Jones & Snyder agreed to these rules. Then they said "Hee hee! I'm not going to abide by the rules I agreed to because I can get away with it because they're not written!"

Now the rest of the owners are telling them "Fuck you, you aren't getting away with it you dickless slimeballs."

Legal? Meh. Right? Sure.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Why are people arguing or even discussing this? e0y is the only one who gives a shit. Frankly I could literally not care less what Goodell does with this situation especially to the Skins and Cowboys. Seriously, nothing I care less about. Nothing.

I just find humor in the fact that the Skins have 36M less the next two years to surround RG3.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm

peeker643 wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:
JCoz wrote:I certainly feel much better knowing they lost by blind bid....and that's consistant with what I was bitching about presumptively Friday.

3 #1's in a blind bid, with the highest 2012 #1, IMO, was a good bid. That is much different than the situation I was afraid of, where they decided he was their guy but didn't have the balls to step up and win when they had the best hand.

It is what it is. Next.

But you're dealing with Snyder. Thinking 3 1's, as good as that is, would be good enough with no 2 thrown in, well, I could have called that.

Shoulda offered the #1's for the next 12 years. That probably would have done it.

No, of course not. But throughout this whole cluster, the #2 was always thought to be included. Getting picks in more than one round is like a big, shiny object to GM's.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm

If you cannot see the importance in the owners and commish of your favorite sports league practicing collusion and violating the general nature of collective bargaining you need for more help then I can provide.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If you cannot see the importance in the owners and commish of your favorite sports league practicing collusion and violating the general nature of collective bargaining you need for more help then I can provide.

If you cannot see the people that this seriously effected (players) did not care enough about it to lodge a complaint and instead signed off on it as part as their collectively bargained rights you need more help than I am willing to provide.

No different than a Dolan signing off on a new CBA without even attempting to balance the playing field and me telling him to STFU when you cry about market size and competitive balance.

If it is something they was worthy of fighting they could have fought it. Instead, they chose to fight about schedule length, practice requirements and getting their money back from the rookies. So I have no sadness for their collective bargaining rights being "violated".

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I am far more concerned about the NFL and DirecTV's agreement concerning Sunday Ticket and how they collude to keep the price higher and the potential/probable violation of anti-trust laws than I am about collusion concerning the salary cap.

I am concerned about things that affect me. The cap space of two NFC East teams doesn't at all.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:26 pm

It has no effect on the players whatsoever. None. The same amount of money that was available before is available now. It's just divided up between 28 teams instead of 32.

And it was the owners who bitched and complained about what other owners in Wash and Dal did, not anyone else.

e0y2e3 likes to play Curt Flood on these issues. Especially when it involves the NFL ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:If you cannot see the importance in the owners and commish of your favorite sports league practicing collusion and violating the general nature of collective bargaining you need for more help then I can provide.

Owners practicing collusion to maintain the league's competitive balance is indeed disturbing. It will be hard to sleep tonight.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:17 pm

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:And it was the owners who bitched and complained about what other owners in Wash and Dal did, not anyone else.

And the Comish's office approved those front loaded deals.

How can Ayatollah Goodell punish them for something he signed off on?

He either wasn't paying attention, which makes him incompetent, or he's hypocrite.

Or maybe he's both, lord knows he makes himself look like a arrogant fucktard every chance he gets.

Ziner wrote:I am far more concerned about the NFL and DirecTV's agreement concerning Sunday Ticket and how they collude to keep the price higher and the potential/probable violation of anti-trust laws than I am about collusion concerning the salary cap.

I am concerned about things that affect me. The cap space of two NFC East teams doesn't at all.

Why aren't more people talking about this?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:And it was the owners who bitched and complained about what other owners in Wash and Dal did, not anyone else.

And the Comish's office approved those front loaded deals.

How can Ayatollah Goodell punish them for something he signed off on?

He either wasn't paying attention, which makes him incompetent, or he's hypocrite.

Or maybe he's both, lord knows he makes himself look like a arrogant fucktard every chance he gets.

Ziner wrote:I am far more concerned about the NFL and DirecTV's agreement concerning Sunday Ticket and how they collude to keep the price higher and the potential/probable violation of anti-trust laws than I am about collusion concerning the salary cap.

Why aren't more people talking about this?

HE SIGNED OFF ON THEM BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT BE BLOCKED AT THE TIME. THEY WERE TOLD THOUGH THEY WOULD PAY WITH SALARY CAP ADJUSTMENTS FOR ANYONE THAT TOOK EXCESSIVE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION. THEN THE OWNERS AND PLAYERS AGREED TO THE COMMISSIONER BEING ALLOWED TO PUNISH THE ONES THAT TOOK EXCESSIVE ADVANTAGE.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 am

pup wrote:HE SIGNED OFF ON THEM BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT BE BLOCKED AT THE TIME. THEY WERE TOLD THOUGH THEY WOULD PAY WITH SALARY CAP ADJUSTMENTS FOR ANYONE THAT TOOK EXCESSIVE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION. THEN THE OWNERS AND PLAYERS AGREED TO THE COMMISSIONER BEING ALLOWED TO PUNISH THE ONES THAT TOOK EXCESSIVE ADVANTAGE.

That is succinct and to the point. And I guess Snyder and Jones shouldn't be surprised by the decision here. And I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I still don't understand how it isn't collusion by the owners to artificially decrease pay to their employees in the absence of a CBA. Why isn't that illegal?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am

motherscratcher wrote:
pup wrote:HE SIGNED OFF ON THEM BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT BE BLOCKED AT THE TIME. THEY WERE TOLD THOUGH THEY WOULD PAY WITH SALARY CAP ADJUSTMENTS FOR ANYONE THAT TOOK EXCESSIVE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION. THEN THE OWNERS AND PLAYERS AGREED TO THE COMMISSIONER BEING ALLOWED TO PUNISH THE ONES THAT TOOK EXCESSIVE ADVANTAGE.

That is succinct and to the point. And I guess Snyder and Jones shouldn't be surprised by the decision here. And I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I still don't understand how it isn't collusion by the owners to artificially decrease pay to their employees in the absence of a CBA. Why isn't that illegal?

It's not like no one got signed in 2010, the owners had just agreed to structure the contracts as if a salary cap were in place rather than try and take advantage of the situation. They just didn't want teams skirting the spirit of the cap by signing Joe Schmoe to a $50 million dollar contract with $45 million of it coming as 2010 workout bonus.

It's collusion. And I have no problem with that, illegal or not.

I'm sure Snyder & Jones signed off on the handshake rules, then purposely went around them thinking there was nothing the league could do. If this goes to court, the league might lose it. But at least they can hurt those 2 peckers for the time being.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 am

The owners established salary limits where there were none, this is a big deal.

Just because they managed to work it into the new CBA while bending the players over on other stuff doesn't make it good or acceptable.

No business should be ran in a manor where collusion is allowed, it's bad practices, bad for the country and bad for the spirit of what CBA protection is.

Our sports owners have reached a point in most every sport though where they just do whatever the fuck they feel like doesn and no one can stand up to them because they have all the power in CBA negotiations.

And you have no idea if Snyder and Jones signed off on creating a fake salary cap or not. It's irrelevant to boot, it happened if it was ten owners that set the rules or 30.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 am

And there is no spirit of the cap WHEN YOU LET THE CAP EXPIRE BECAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT TO PUSH A GIANT FUCKING LOCKOUT ON THE PLAYERS.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 am

e0y2e3 wrote:The owners established salary limits where there were none, this is a big deal.

Just because they managed to work it into the new CBA while bending the players over on other stuff doesn't make it good or acceptable.

No business should be ran in a manor where collusion is allowed, it's bad practices, bad for the country and bad for the spirit of what CBA protection is.

Our sports owners have reached a point in most every sport though where they just do whatever the fuck they feel like doesn and no one can stand up to them because they have all the power in CBA negotiations.

And you have no idea if Snyder and Jones signed off on creating a fake salary cap or not. It's irrelevant to boot, it happened if it was ten owners that set the rules or 30.

Disagree on all counts, and I'd also like to reiterate that I don't care.

Go NFL. Stick it to 'em.

:thumb up:
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am

So simple, players.

Don't sign agreements that are fucking you over.

Don't tie yourself to an organization (NFLPA) that ignores things like collusion to make sure you don't have to practice twice a day in August heat.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:46 am

And you not caring, while the players let shit like this slip to argue over getting their piece of the pie on the whole is exactly why you have shit like this, shit like Goodell punishing players like a drunken sailor and shit like the Direct TV deal.

Letting owners get away with shit that is CLEARLY ILLEGAL (seriously, if you go out and masturbate in the middle of your local bar does magically become legal if they change the law a year later....)

Owners in every sport are out of control and know no one will stop them.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 am

pup wrote:So simple, players.

Don't sign agreements that are fucking you over.

Don't tie yourself to an organization (NFLPA) that ignores things like collusion to make sure you don't have to practice twice a day in August heat.

Again, the owners have all of the power in every single one of these lockouts.

That is why the deals went down as they did.

That core issue makes this a big fucking deal, well that and it being clearly illegal and against everything and anything American re: collective bargaining.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:And you not caring, while the players let shit like this slip to argue over getting their piece of the pie on the whole is exactly why you have shit like this, shit like Goodell punishing players like a drunken sailor and shit like the Direct TV deal.

Letting owners get away with shit that is CLEARLY ILLEGAL (seriously, if you go out and masturbate in the middle of your local bar does magically become legal if they change the law a year later....)

Owners in every sport are out of control and know no one will stop them.

THE ONES THAT CAN STOP THEM ARE THE SAME ONES THAT CONTINUE TO SIGN OFF ON THEIR TACTICS.

And they sign off because they "won" the right to work less and get paid the same.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL