Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Nine Straight Years

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Nine Straight Years

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:00 am

Where the SB will be won by a Hall of Fame QB.

Last 5 SBs, all 10 QBs = HOF.

Just sayin.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Nine Straight Years

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 am

swerb wrote:Where the SB will be won by a Hall of Fame QB.

Just sayin.

It's really amazing, the history of that whole game. Winners AND losers. And there's always the jerk-off screaming Trent Dilfer or David Woodley, ignoring all the HOFamers,, MVP's or guys having MVP years.

And with the ridiculous rules it's only gonna get more quarterback-great heavy.

I'm still on the wager of Brady Brees and Rodgers - with alltheir teams faults vs. the field for the next 5 years. They've got the last two, good chance for 3, and I'd say a great chance of 3 of the next 5.

It's pretty clear that you don't build a team around a hump, you find the PLAYA at that position, then you go to work. Everything else is wastin' time.

Unless your goal is to be "solid"
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:31 am

On the NFC side, you can't argue against the fact, that not only do you need an elite QB to win the game, but if you've got an elite pass rush/d-line, that helps to put you in a position to win the game.

Manning is better than Smith, this is a fact. and it's the reason why they were in the position to win this game.

But their d-lines all but made things pretty equal.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 am

Run the ball and stop the run is dead.

Now it's pass the ball and rush the passer.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:43 am

And going a few years past the nine year mark, I think Kurt Warner is a HOF'er as well.

My bad, I forgot about XLIII for a minute with the Cardinals, glad someone agrees on Warner.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 am

swerb wrote:Where the SB will be won by a Hall of Fame QB.

Just sayin.

Don't worry. Colt McCoy will break that streak.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:38 am

Also, nine straight years that the team representing the AFC has had at least 10 letters in its place-name.

N-E-W-E-N-G-L-A-N-D (10)
P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H (10)
I-N-D-I-A-N-A-P-O-L-I-S (12)

I propose we rename Cleveland, "Clevelandz."
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 am

Hikohadon wrote:Run the ball and stop the run is dead.

Steelers getting rid of Arians to get more of a run first approach, much to the dismay of 'Big Ben.' Steelers might fall faster and harder than anyone predicted.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Also, nine straight years that the team representing the AFC has had at least 10 letters in its place-name.

N-E-W-E-N-G-L-A-N-D (10)
P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H (10)

Clevelandia sounds more elegant. Or 3rd world. Either way.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Also, nine straight years that the team representing the AFC has had at least 10 letters in its place-name.

N-E-W-E-N-G-L-A-N-D (10)
P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H (10)

Oh... it's also the 46th straight year that two teams utilizing the center snap will play in the Bowl.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:

N-E-W-E-N-G-L-A-N-D (10)
P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H (10)

Oh... it's also the 46th straight year that two teams utilizing the center snap will play in the Bowl.

As it is the 46th straight year featuring teams that have a few players that first and foremost praise Jesus Christ, through whom all things are possible.
Hikohadon

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Let's try not to overcomplicate things, guys.

Football is a simple game. 10+ letters.

Clevelandia, I like, but I fear it may mean taking a risk, seeing how it's 11 letters, and the previous nine AFC reps are at 10 & 12. If we're going to stray from those exact numbers, I'd feel safer going with another even number like 14 or 16. But what if we play it safe and go with 12-letter Clevelandiah?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm

BTW, I looked it up: not one of the QBs from the past 5 Super Bowl winning teams is in the Hall of Fame.

Not one.

If you have a Hall of Fame QB actually and literally playing in the Super Bowl, you're probably fucked.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:30 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Let's try not to overcomplicate things, guys.

Football is a simple game. 10+ letters.

Clevelandia, I like, but I fear it may mean taking a risk, seeing how it's 11 letters, and the previous nine AFC reps are at 10 & 12. If we're going to stray from those exact numbers, I'd feel safer going with another even number like 14 or 16. But what if we play it safe and go with 12-letter Clevelandiah?

New Cleveland.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:52 pm

NFL = 7 on 7.

Wish they had 75 man rosters and went back to football. Oh well.

BTW - There are no HOF QBs in the last 5 Super Bowls. Think about it. ;-) Can we type "Super Bowl" or will you get a C & D letter and have to mass change everything to "The big game"?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:

Steelers getting rid of Arians to get more of a run first approach, much to the dismay of 'Big Ben.' Steelers might fall faster and harder than anyone predicted.

At his pace being hit and crashing bikes,iIn 10 years, Pig Ben will make BK look like Dorian Gray.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

N-E-W-E-N-G-L-A-N-D (10)
P-I-T-T-S-B-U-R-G-H (10)

Just use the derisive Al Michaels pronunciation : Cleeeeeeeeeveland
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 pm

jb wrote:BTW - There are no HOF QBs in the last 5 Super Bowls. Think about it. ;-) Can we type "Super Bowl" or will you get a C & D letter and have to mass change everything to "The big game"?

How's the ear, bud?

And I didn't I say exactly what you said an hour and a half before you posted it? Do you still have me on 'Foe'?

Will you put me on there now?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 pm

I understand Hoodoo's sarcasm about a lot of us jumping on the "you can only win this way" argument. And its noted that after the Ravens in '00, teams tried to mimic that approach. And there's been many other mimicked approaches to winning a SB that have not withstood the test of time or been proven false.

Here's the thing though - the NFL is at an all time high in popularity right now. My mom and gramma are glued to the TV for games. While JB makes a great point about getting back to real football, and many of us in here agreeing, the Lead Man 90% is gobbling this shit up like JB on a plate of Quaker Steak and Lube wings after 7 microbrews.

The NFL has never been more watched and followed. And its cause of the scoring, exciting offenses, and star QBs.

This shit ain't going anywhere. As Lead Man suggests, the rules will only be subtly tweaked to keep the game going down this path.

And if you don't got someone that can zing it all over the field, you have no chance to win a title. Alex Smith being 0-12 on 3rd down conversions and losing in OT is Exhibit A. Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez led teams perpetually coming up just short is Exhibit B. Exhibit C is the actual pariticipants in the Super Bowl the last 9 years.

That San Fran team that lost yesterday is as good a team as you can have outside of the QB position. Best D and special teams in the league. A great coach that knows how to get the most out of his parts offensively.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:08 pm

<--------

Has a very hard time with the Flacco flack this post season.
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:BTW - There are no HOF QBs in the last 5 Super Bowls. Think about it. ;-) Can we type "Super Bowl" or will you get a C & D letter and have to mass change everything to "The big game"?

How's the ear, bud?

And I didn't I say exactly what you said an hour and a half before you posted it? Do you still have me on 'Foe'?

Will you put me on there now?

That would have required reading, and i wanted to post it twice to make Lee's head explode.

Ear is now clear. Whole docs's office had a good laugh. they've seen such stiff before, but never over the age of about 4.
jb

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:24 pm

swerb wrote:And if you don't got someone that can zing it all over the field, you have no chance to win a title. Alex Smith being 0-12 on 3rd down conversions and losing in OT is Exhibit A. Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez led teams perpetually coming up just short is Exhibit B. Exhibit C is the actual pariticipants in the Super Bowl the last 9 years.

That San Fran team that lost yesterday is as good a team as you can have outside of the QB position. Best D and special teams in the league. A great coach that knows how to get the most out of his parts offensively.

Maybe you just go rubber/glue on this, but I don't see how you watch those two games yesterday and come away thinking "QBs, QBs, QBs, QBs..." without seeing what you want to see.

Eli Manning probably had the best performance by a QB in these playoffs yesterday, and Alex Smith looked like crap. Yet that enormous disparity in QB play was 100% compensated for by SF's defense, SF's running game, and Vernon Davis (again). That game was played to a draw. Some dopey punt returner handing the Giants 6 points doesn't reinforce the necessity of great QB play or confirm the irrelevance of defense & running the football. It was merely one of many, many ways that game could have ended, in favor of either team.

And Joe Flacco basically outplayed Tom Brady and lost. Vince Wilfork was the closest thing to a difference-maker in that game.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 pm

To me, in the San Fran game, fumbles aside - the difference in that game was 100% Eli Manning's ability to make huge throws on 3rd down. And Alex Smith's inability to. Outside of the QB position, SF was the better team. Could argue outside of QB and WR, the Niners are a better team at every other position on the field.

AFC game - Brady played like shite yesterday. Flacco played well and prolly outplayed Brady. I don't mean to lump Flacco in with Alex Smith. To me, Flacco is right on the cusp. Not elite, but can throw well enough to win today. Has to be perfect, has to have an elite team around him. Almost was yesterday.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm with Hoodoo. I don't think you can put the fumbles aside. They were THE critical plays in the game. Eli was able to take advantage of them. Smith wasn't able to overcome them. That's the difference. Still, after watching it, i'm not all that convinced that if the fumbles don't go the other way, the outcome isn't the exact opposite.

I'm not as high on Manning as you. IMO, there was one QB playing yesterday who is capable of carrying an entire team. He played like shit and his team still won. The other 3 QB's range somewhere from Average to Good.

What will be interesting to me, going forward from a 'right way to build a team' standpoint, is how San Fran reacts to this loss. I agree, they were the better team on the field yesterday, so if you're the niners going forward, what can they do to improve their chances at a ring. Pretty obvious in my opinion, get someone to field punts who'll produce less DERP, and upgrade QB play.

The part I'm interested to see is just how they go about upgrading QB, what options are available to them, and what the cost is.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:55 pm

jb wrote:<--------

Has a very hard time with the Flacco flack this post season.

Hard as it is for me to say, he played really well yesterday. But I still think he's a mutt and the fact he was throwing at Julian Edelmann and other street free agents for much of the afternonn may have played a part.

Still, he made more throws than he missed and if Cundiff is > Dawson and makes that chippy, Flacco is rightfully a hero for that drive.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm

While I agree with Hoodoo's assessment of yesterday's games, I also agree that is hardly coincidence that this is Eli's 2nd dance and Brady's 5th.

I would think that SF had the best TEAM on the field yesterday, but they still lost, due in no small part to the fact that their QB reverted to his natural state of suck.

And in a game where Joe freakin' Flacco outplayed Tom freakin' Brady (cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria), only a drop and a shank keep the Pats from going down.

It's not ALL about QB's, but the road to a ring is so much more difficult to travel without a great one that I don't know why we even debate wanting to do it.

And, in the end, nothing that happened yesterday or since September has changed the fact that the Browns need a better QB if they ever hope to compete.

Additionally... Eli has 2 SB's, 1 SB ring, NFL record for road playoff wins (5), NFL record for 4th Q TD passes (15), passed for a smidge under 5000 yards (4933), 29 TD's, a 93 rating... not sure what the guy has to do for people to get "high" on him. I will gladly bet you whatever you want that he will be in Canton one day, and not just for the nightlife.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Yeah Flacco was great right up until that INT on the biggest pass of his life the previous drive.....puhlease.

The ONLY reason Flacco even came close to playing w/Brady is b/c Brady didn't have it.

Yeah Evans dropped the pass that could have redeemed Flacco, such is life. At what point do we acknowledge Flacco for what he is, the guy that cannot get it done. Winning-est first 5 years as a starting QB or what ever the fuck the stat is they always show....

KJ CAUGHT MORE PASSES THAN JERRY RICE DID IN HIS FIRST 4 YEARS....CHARLES NAGY WAS 1 OF ONLY 2 PITCHERS TO WIN 15 FOR 5 STRAIGHT...BLAH BLAH FUCKIN BLAH.

Flacco is a loser, period.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

FUDU wrote:Yeah Flacco was great right up until that INT on the biggest pass of his life the previous drive.....puhlease.

The ONLY reason Flacco even came close to playing w/Brady is b/c Brady didn't have it.

Yeah Evans dropped the pass that could have redeemed Flacco, such is life. At what point do we acknowledge Flacco for what he is, the guy that cannot get it done. Winning-est first 5 years as a starting QB or what ever the fuck the stat is they always show....

KJ CAUGHT MORE PASSES THAN JERRY RICE DID IN HIS FIRST 4 YEARS....CHARLES NAGY WAS 1 OF ONLY 2 PITCHERS TO WIN 15 FOR 5 STRAIGHT...BLAH BLAH FUCKIN BLAH.

Yes, the only reason Flacco outplayed Brady is b/c Brady had an awful day. It was just a comment on the fact that 99 times out 100 superior QB play wins the day.

Oh, and no matter how mediocre Flacco is (and I think we can agree on that), the Browns haven't had anyone that's even as good as him since The Return.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Look.

There's three components the Browns need to keep working on to make this team playoff good

-Defensive line/pass rushers
-Quarterback play that's at least better than Flacco.
-Coaching.

We've got the start of number 1 going, now we need to go and find the QB, and hopefully do it within the next two years.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Actually, the 2 best receiving corps' won both games yesterday..........

:pop:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:Yeah Flacco was great right up until that INT on the biggest pass of his life the previous drive.....puhlease.

Yes, the only reason Flacco outplayed Brady is b/c Brady had an awful day. It was just a comment on the fact that 99 times out 100 superior QB play wins the day.

Oh, and no matter how mediocre Flacco is (and I think we can agree on that), the Browns haven't had anyone that's even as good as him since The Return.

Wasn't bashing your take at all, I just didn't see all that great of game from Flacco, decent, Flaccoesque at times, but typical just good enough to not get it done.

Otherwise we agree both on the 99 out of 100, and the Browns QB history since 99.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Not sure where the argument is.

The list of QB's in that game, for the entire history of that game says it all.

We can look at a game in a vaccumm, like the SF game. Valid points. But SF got in that game by hangin' 32 the week before.

Better example would be the Kordell Steelers. Ran the ball, D'd...all that shit. But playoff time comes, and during the course of those games the the onus is going to fall on the QB to win you the game that gets you to your next. Once they got that guy they got back to Super Bowls.

The odds, in this day and age, of going thru 2 or 3 good playoff teams without having to score big points during that journey are next to nothing. No, you neeed'nt hang 34 every game, but you're going to have to sooner or later. Or, your gonna get the ball late - wha are you gonna do with it?

That list of names does not lie. That list of names is what it is. And that list of names is gonna get better. Clearly.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 am

FUDU wrote:Wasn't bashing your take at all, I just didn't see all that great of game from Flacco, decent, Flaccoesque at times, but typical just good enough to not get it done.

Otherwise we agree both on the 99 out of 100, and the Browns QB history since 99.

Yeah, the national love that Flacco was gettin' yesterday gives me hope that the Ravens don't decide to pull the plug for another 5 years or so.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:I'm with Hoodoo. I don't think you can put the fumbles aside. They were THE critical plays in the game.

I'm also w/ Hoo Doo.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Liar.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:22 pm

leadpipe wrote:Not sure where the argument is.

The list of QB's in that game, for the entire history of that game says it all.

We can look at a game in a vaccumm, like the SF game. Valid points. But SF got in that game by hangin' 32 the week before.

Better example would be the Kordell Steelers. Ran the ball, D'd...all that shit. But playoff time comes, and during the course of those games the the onus is going to fall on the QB to win you the game that gets you to your next. Once they got that guy they got back to Super Bowls.

The odds, in this day and age, of going thru 2 or 3 good playoff teams without having to score big points during that journey are next to nothing. No, you neeed'nt hang 34 every game, but you're going to have to sooner or later. Or, your gonna get the ball late - wha are you gonna do with it?

That list of names does not lie. That list of names is what it is. And that list of names is gonna get better. Clearly.

Faaaaaaar be it for me to defend Kordell, but it helps when the D knows what plays ur running.
jb

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL