Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL Playoffs

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: NFL Playoffs

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:57 pm

If the Giants win the SB Vegas will take a bath

When they lost to GB earlier, the line went to 100-1 and was pounded by NY Fan

Imagine throwin a $K down for schits & Giggles

....and this just in......

The team that gives up the fewest points wins :lmfao:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Niners Giants wow, who woulda thought that shit at the beginning of the season?
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

jjgmyers wrote:Is the Giants D at all responsible for this ass beating? I'm just curious what you guys think.

Was that strip of Rodgers a forced TO? Was the strip of Grant a forced TO?

The 2 best D's in the NFC playoffs are playing to go to the Super Bowl. Just sayin

I wasn't aware that Atlanta was playing in the NFC Championship.

Def Rank:
SF - 4
ATL - 12
DET - 23
NO - 24
NYG - 27
GB - 32

Just sayin'.

Yep, the Giants D was awesome today and had a lot to do with that win. They also had a helluva game from their franchise QB.

Take that same Giants team, put Colt McCoy on it, and they lose.

The point isn't that Defense isn't important. The point isn't that we don't all want a dominant D. The point is that great QB play is absolutely essential to winning a ring. You can't win championships with a good D and a good running game anymore.

And now I'm done feeding the troll.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:The point isn't that Defense isn't important. The point isn't that we don't all want a dominant D. The point is that great QB play is absolutely essential to winning a ring. You can't win championships with a good D and a good running game anymore.

<--running out of energy/interest in this ongoing QB conversation, but Alex Smith basically gave you Colt McCoy-vs.-MIA-level QB play yesterday. If that's all you're asking for, I'd say there might be 25+ QBs in the NFL who can give you that.

And I realize that you & I apparently don't differ that much on this issue, but for those others who are selling this fictionalized version (<--for Peeker) of the NFL in which QBs are all that matter, we've seen a mere 2 out of 8 playoff games won by dominant QB play up to now, and 2 of the 3 Sooooooper Elite QBs are out.

"TJ Yates" beat "Andy Dalton." "Tim Tebow" beat "Ben Roethlisberger." "Alex Smith" beat "Drew Brees." "Eli Manning" beat "Aaron Rodgers."

Yes, this is still a team game. This is still football.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 pm

I don't see how the Giants dick around every regular season with all that talent, barely get in the playoffs, or barely miss them. Tom Coughlin's obit has been written several times over, but yet more often than not they win games they arguably shouldn't have, at least in the playoffs. Quite possibly the best receiving corps in the league this year. I think they squeeze by SF to set up a re-match vs. NE, and good chance they beat them again.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:41 pm

HoodooMan wrote: but for those others who are selling this fictionalized version (<--for Peeker) of the NFL ....

Thank you. One more 'narrative' today would have sent me toward a clock tower with a garbage can full of ammo.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:54 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:The point isn't that Defense isn't important. The point isn't that we don't all want a dominant D. The point is that great QB play is absolutely essential to winning a ring. You can't win championships with a good D and a good running game anymore.

<--running out of energy/interest in this ongoing QB conversation, but Alex Smith basically gave you Colt McCoy-vs.-MIA-level QB play yesterday. If that's all you're asking for, I'd say there might be 25+ QBs in the NFL who can give you that.

And I realize that you & I apparently don't differ that much on this issue, but for those others who are selling this fictionalized version (<--for Peeker) of the NFL in which QBs are all that matter, we've seen a mere 2 out of 8 playoff games won by dominant QB play up to now, and 2 of the 3 Sooooooper Elite QBs are out.

"TJ Yates" beat "Andy Dalton." "Tim Tebow" beat "Ben Roethlisberger." "Alex Smith" beat "Drew Brees." "Eli Manning" beat "Aaron Rodgers."

Yes, this is still a team game. This is still football.

I too am bored out of my mind on this topic, especially since we are essentially in the same boat.

Again, Alex Smith played at an elite level at the end of the game. If he could maintain that kind of play, he would ergo become "elite". Likely, he will not, and SF will lose somewhere along the line.

And yes it is a team sport, which is why Tom Brady doesn't win the championship every year. You have to have a team around you. That is not in question.

My one and only assertion is this:

You can't win a SB without elite/franchise QB play. Not in today's NFL. Maybe 15-20 QB's in the NFL have the potential to accomplish that. The Browns aren't one of the teams that have one. So no matter how much they build they Defense or pick up playmakers or solidify the line, the Browns will never win (or likely play in) a SB until they address the glaring weakness at QB, until they bring in a guy that truly has the potential to win a ring. 'Til then, they're stuck in neutral.

It's good to have a dominant D. It's good to have a really solid running game. But you need need NEED the QB, first and foremost, period. I can't see how that isn't glaringly obvious to everyone in the world (even blind people in Laos). Any argument against that, I believe, is made simply to be contrarian or to purposely piss people off.

I know that you understand the importance of a QB and I hope you understand that I in no way am trying to undervalue Defense or running backs or O line or receivers. My sole beef is with anyone who tries to maintain that the Browns can win a SB with what they have currently at QB if you "surround" them with enough other stuff.

And now I'm totally done with this topic. Merry MLK Day to all, and to all a good night.
Hikohadon

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:I don't see how the Giants dick around every regular season with all that talent, barely get in the playoffs, or barely miss them. Tom Coughlin's obit has been written several times over, but yet more often than not they win games they arguably shouldn't have, at least in the playoffs. Quite possibly the best receiving corps in the league this year. I think they squeeze by SF to set up a re-match vs. NE, and good chance they beat them again.

Ever since Eli's been there, they've been quite the underachieving bunch. But their shut-down D, the receivers that you mentioned, and their QB whose last name is Manning all work together to move them forward. But damn, do I like the sound of a NE NY rematch. Round 1 was great, but with higher stakes for round 2, the possibilities are endless. Happy the Packers lost, tired of ESPN drooling over em. Happy there's 2 Harbaughs still in it, even though one of them coaches the shit birds (just a great football fam.). Pats vs. GMen in the Super Bowl, could be another classic.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:26 pm

This is very simple really, it's about balance.

Just like it is with baseball and hoops. The cliches are cliches for a reason...defense wins championships, pitching pitching pitching, etc etc etc. It doesn't mean there isn't any truth in those cliches but ultimately you need to be able to do well in all phases of the game at some point, in the game.

Another cliche, timing is everything.....the Giants right now are a perfect example of this and how they've put everything together at the right time. Their D hasn't been all that great most of the season, but these last 3-4 weeks, different story. Add Eli Manning to the mix, a legit QB who can perform at arguably the highest level needed, when needed, and you get what we see in the Giants right now.

While the Giants D definitely had a hand in this win over the Packers don't discount that their QB had a big hand in it as well.

I mean once again look at how many points were scored by the victors.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I'm at a loss for words as to how the WR's aren't getting at least 50% of the praise for the success of the QB's....

Seriously dumbfounded

I am going to LMFAO if the SB gets QB'd by Flaccid and Smith
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm

The eight-division format is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL. Now it's shit team after shit team getting in because they win their horrible divisions with 9-7 or 8-8 records, then they put it all together for a game or two and knock off the two or three actually decent teams in the league.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby jjgmyers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:47 am

I'm at a loss for words as to how the WR's aren't getting at least 50% of the praise for the success of the QB's....

Seriously dumbfounded

Thank you

This is the reason I got involved in this clusterfuck thread. Oh, and the fact Hiko, Noles and others were calling Dalton and Flacco elite franchise QB's.

When SF won it was because of Alex Smith played elite. It had nothing to do with the fact the Niners D caused 5 To's.

Nothing to do with the fact Vernon Davis was unguardable.

Nothing to do with the fact Brees was running for his life all day. All you hear, he had 462 yards passing, he must of been awesome that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind the fact that Sproles turned a 2yd dumpoff into a 60 yd TD. It's all because of Brees!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Brees had a bomb to Jimmy Graham. He's awesome. Never mind the fact that all Brees did was throw the ball up for grabs in the middle of the field. Graham doesn't get credit, it's all because of King Brees.

The Giants won because Eli had a helluva game!!!!!Rah, Rah, Rah

Never mind the fact that what I saw was he had all day to sit in the pocket and throw to wide open WR's.

Or the fact Nicks turned a simple 10yd out into a 66 yd TD with pure speed and athleticism. It all cause of Eli!!!!!!!!!

Nicks had nothing to do with the hail Mary Eli threw. It was all cause of Eli!!!!! That was a such a great throw!!!!!
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby Lubber » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:19 am

Hikohadon wrote:I said that you need a QB to be at least Flacco. I'd love a QB quite a bit better than Flacco, but you need to have a guy that at least has the potential to win a SB. I highly doubt that Flacco ever does anything, but he at least has the potential..

That is not saying much considering Flacco was the 18th ranked passer in the NFL this year.

The only reason he has potential is because of Ray Rice and their defense. Put him on the Patriots, Saints, or Packers, and their record is not going to be near what it is in Baltimore.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Eli is in beast mode again. It's 2007, and he's white hot. Bummed he beat the Pack, but it was pretty amazing to see him go into it.

BTW, it pisses me off to hear New York fan want to throw Coughlin and Manning under the bus on those radio shows pregame, and having heard rumblings of coughlin's firing prior to that. Seriously? I wish as a Browns fan, that I even had the fortunes of the Giants post 1991, pre 2007, let alone having won a Super Bowl in the manner they did. Next time I hear that in the near future, I want to simply point out coaches like Pat Shurmer or Romeo Crennel, QB's like Frye and Anderson and tell them to shut the hell up.

Eli may be Flacco (meaning he'll get you to ten-eleven wins, but not look spectacular) in the regular season, but I'll be damned if the guy doesn't kick it into high gear in the post season and look like a GOAT.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Edit: Not worth my time.
Last edited by Hikohadon on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Lubber wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I said that you need a QB to be at least Flacco. I'd love a QB quite a bit better than Flacco, but you need to have a guy that at least has the potential to win a SB. I highly doubt that Flacco ever does anything, but he at least has the potential..

That is not saying much considering Flacco was the 18th ranked passer in the NFL this year.

The only reason he has potential is because of Ray Rice and their defense. Put him on the Patriots, Saints, or Packers, and their record is not going to be near what it is in Baltimore.

Yeah, but put him in Cleveland and they're 7-9. It's not hard to find 3 more victories with a QB that doesn't suck quite so much.

Anyone that is taking my point as "I wish we had Flacco" is dumb as fuck (not hard to find around here). He's the bare minimum of what you have to have if you want a chance. My point is that you don't have to have a Sooper-elite QB to win it all if you have good enough parts surrounding your QB (that your team considers franchise). But you have to have one that COULD BE elite, if all the stars aligned. Someone who has talent, someone who has the POTENTIAL should he remove his head from his ass.

It's unlikely that Flacco or Alex Smith ever have more than a great game here or there. It's unlikely that either one of them has sustained good play long enough to win a SB. But it's not impossible. Smith proved that on Saturday. If he were able to continue that kind of high quality play, then SF has a real chance. If he sinks back down to lame ol' Alex Smith, then they don't. Flacco wasn't that good Sunday, but good enough to beat a team that got absoluelty nothing from their QB. It will take a helluva lot more than that to go into Foxboro and beat Brady.

I don't want Flacco, I'd really want the Browns franchise QB to be better than him, but if the Browns had him, I guess I could justify going another direction than QB with #4. When you have a QB that's worse than even Flacco, that has zero potential to be a SB QB, that's just not gonna fly. No amount of Defense and Running Game and Playmakers is gonna make a Cole McCoy good enough to win a ring. Impossible. Stupid to even consider it.

That's what this whole argument is about, right? We Don't Need A QB vs. We Do Need A QB? Colt Is Good Enough If We Have A Great D And A Bunch Of Playmakers vs. He's Not Good Enough Replace Him ASAP?

Because MY argument certainly isn't that 1) we don't need to bother trying to build a great Defense or 2) we don't need playmakers or 3) we don't need a better running game or 4) I want Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton.

My sole argument in this is Colt McCoy Isn't Going To Get It Done And No Amount Of Defense Or Running Game Or Playmakers Will Change Him Into A QB That Can Win A SB So Draft RG3 If He Is There At Number 4 Because We Need A QB With That Kind Of Potential If We're Ever Gonna Have A Chance At Winning A Crown.

That's all I'm saying. Reading is fundamental and shit.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Hikohadon wrote:......... No amount of Defense and Running Game and Playmakers is gonna make a Cole McCoy good enough to win a ring. Impossible. Stupid to even consider it.

That's what this whole argument is about, right? .........

Right! This. This is what the thing that is right is!!!

But somehow we got lumped into some group that doesnt' care about defense. At all. Doesn't matter. JTDC.

Somehow because the 49ers and Giants defenses "forcing" 9 turnovers is evidence that the Browns don't need to upgrade at QB and QB isn't the most important position.

9 FUCKING TURNOVERS!!! Because that's completely typical and not at all an outlier.

Halelluiah. Holy Shit. Pass the tylenol.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm

In the final four at the moment, another thing to note? Coaching

Coughlin is very underrated in this regard, and his staff is sold. Gilbride is a good o-coordinator, and Fewell is doing quite good on the defensive side.

Rats? Harbaugh is pretty damn good.

Pats? Belijerk. Flat out the best coach of the past 20 years.

49ers? Harbaugh's bro. is just as good as his brother.

The Browns don't have a guy in that league. They may, may get some coordinators to come in, and hide Shurmer's faults, but that's their shot. Praying it's Mike Sherman.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Triple-S wrote:In the final four at the moment, another thing to note? Coaching

Coughlin is very underrated in this regard, and his staff is sold. Gilbride is a good o-coordinator, and Fewell is doing quite good on the defensive side.

Rats? Harbaugh is pretty damn good.

Pats? Belijerk. Flat out the best coach of the past 20 years.

49ers? Harbaugh's bro. is just as good as his brother.

The Browns don't have a guy in that league. They may, may get some coordinators to come in, and hide Shurmer's faults, but that's their shot. Praying it's Mike Sherman.

Agree with 3/4 of that. Coughlin and Fewell were ticketed for dismissal had Eli not gone all Lazarus the last month.

And it sure is easier to coach when you've got Brady and Eli, Vernon Davis and 22 first round picks on your roster, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and Ray Rice, etc.

It requires quality decisions. Bottom line. Whether it be on who you hire to run your org/draft/offense, etc down to who's playing the positions.

When this org makes quality decisions it'll win. And that starts fom the highest point in the organization or requires a shotgun approach where at least one of those bb's hits its mark. Maybe Randy finally closed his eyes, pulled the trigger and hit with Holmgren and heckert. Or one of them anyway. Maybe not.

Get the right people making decisions and you'll be shocked at how talented players suddenly start to appear. On both sides of the ball.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 pm

We could always just say that the Browns could make the playoffs when they have as many good players on their team as the four remaining teams do.

Browns are devoid of talent all over the field. From QB on down.

Not saying that Colt McCoy isn't a problem.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Elite QB
Great Defense
Great HC
Above average Running Game
All four of the teams have about 3 out of 4 of these categories, with the 9ers and Ravens having 3 identical categories (Def., HC, Running Game). Colt is nowhere close to being elite; never will be, and the same goes for SHUR MUR. The defense this past year was just average to above average. The running game was consistently below average the entire season. Defense will be getting upgrades this offseason in the draft. Hopefully there will be a major positive change at QB. The running game will be interesting to see what develops. SHUR MUR will remain. The Browns could be above average in 3 out of those four categories by next year, which could mean 3-5 more wins?
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:04 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:Elite QB
Great Defense
Great HC
Above average Running Game
All four of the teams have about 3 out of 4 of these categories, with the 9ers and Ravens having 3 identical categories (Def., HC, Running Game). Colt is nowhere close to being elite; never will be, and the same goes for SHUR MUR. The defense this past year was just average to above average. The running game was consistently below average the entire season. Defense will be getting upgrades this offseason in the draft. Hopefully there will be a major positive change at QB. The running game will be interesting to see what develops. SHUR MUR will remain. The Browns could be above average in 3 out of those four categories by next year, which could mean 3-5 more wins?

I'd agree with that, but I don't think those things are equal. I think the elite QB is way more important than any of those other things individually.

Look at Green Bay. They have Rogers, but they don't have an above average running game or a great defense. I'm not sure they have a great HC either, but let's assume that they do. They have 2 out of 4 and they are right in it.

The fact that they didn't win the SB this year is immaterial. What I'm looking for is to have a team that has a legitimate chance to win the Super Bowl. GB does. NE does. NO does.

Cleveland and a handful of other teams don't.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:10 pm

^^^^^^ + The fact the GB will have a legitimate shot at the SB for the next 5 years as long as Rodgers is there. True though is the fact that QB is the most important of those 4 factors.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 pm

QB or defense? I'll take elite QB play over crushing defense any day. Niners defense wasn't good enough to beat Brees. They had the lead with 2:11 left. All they had to do was stop Brees and they couldn't do it. Brees had the game won.... until the Niners came back with... Outstanding QB Play.

You might be able to get to the playoffs with great defense, but your QB has to play at an elite level to win it all.
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby trsteve1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:17 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:The eight-division format is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL. Now it's shit team after shit team getting in because they win their horrible divisions with 9-7 or 8-8 records, then they put it all together for a game or two and knock off the two or three actually decent teams in the league.

Are you serious?

Ratbirds #2 seed @ Pats #1 seed
Giants #4 (won their division) @ 49ers # 2 seed

Not sure I follow your logic..

Oh, I think I get it..

You weren't using any...
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 am

trsteve1 wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:The eight-division format is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL. Now it's shit team after shit team getting in because they win their horrible divisions with 9-7 or 8-8 records, then they put it all together for a game or two and knock off the two or three actually decent teams in the league.

Are you serious?

Oh, I think I get it..

You weren't using any...

Giants are 9-7. (They were 10-6 when they won the Super Bowl, albeit a wild card.)

8-8 Denver hosted Pittsburgh and took them down. Giants and Broncos are lousy teams only in the playoffs b/c their divisions blew.

Seahawks went 7-9 and got a home game last year to knock off Saints.

Cardinals were 9-7 and won a crappy division when they almost knocked off Pittsburgh in the SB.

It's becoming a yearly event where a joke of a team gets an advantage in the playoffs it shouldn't have because it won a terrible division.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:
trsteve1 wrote:

Are you serious?

Oh, I think I get it..

You weren't using any...

Giants are 9-7. (They were 10-6 when they won the Super Bowl, albeit a wild card.)

8-8 Denver hosted Pittsburgh and took them down. Giants and Broncos are lousy teams only in the playoffs b/c their divisions blew.

Seahawks went 7-9 and got a home game last year to knock off Saints.

Cardinals were 9-7 and won a crappy division when they almost knocked off Pittsburgh in the SB.

It's becoming a yearly event where a joke of a team gets an advantage in the playoffs it shouldn't have because it won a terrible division.

That is why they play the games. Otherwise, we would just crown GB the champs because of their record. I am not sure what the advantage was for NYG playing in Green Bay last weekend. Denver's main advantage was that Pittsburgh was missing several key members due to injury.

How do you suggest the playoffs be structured since this clearly does not seem to be working. Hardly anybody ever watches the NFL playoffs or Super Bowl, right?
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am

Giants received an advantage by playing a team with a better record at home in the wild-card round.

At the very least, these teams shouldn't be rewarded with a home game simply for winning their crappy division with a crappy record. The game should be played on the field of the better team. Pittsburgh would have been without one fewer player had they not played in Denver.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Giants received an advantage by playing a team with a better record at home in the wild-card round.

At the very least, these teams shouldn't be rewarded with a home game simply for winning their crappy division with a crappy record. The game should be played on the field of the better team. Pittsburgh would have been without one fewer player had they not played in Denver.

So Atlanta should be rewarded for winning more games, with two of the worst teams in football in their division? Leading to their better record?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:18 pm

pup wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Giants received an advantage by playing a team with a better record at home in the wild-card round.

So Atlanta should be rewarded for winning more games, with two of the worst teams in football in their division? Leading to their better record?

And that's the rub, Pup. You're right.

GHCS does bring up good points and I get where he's coming from. It would be better if the teams that performed better during the regular season were rewarded in the playoffs, and that obviously isn't always the case.

But it's kind of tricky determining who performed better and has the better team. We can't just do it solely on record. The unbalanced schedule makes that impossible.

There are flaws in the system, I'm just not sure if there is an obvious solution.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Which is why I think the current way is still the best way.

The goal for everyone at the start of the year is to win your division. Regardless of what that division looks like. Do that, and get rewarded. Don't do it and get on your horse if you are one of the fortunate 4 to get in without doing it.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

The NFL needs contraction as bad the NBA.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Just found out that Stephen A. Smith is a big Steelers fan. Explains so much.

Denver at New England - I still don't believe in Tebow, certainly not against the Pats. NE by 20.

Houston at Baltimore - Flacco will probably keep this game close with a few turnovers, but the Ravens have enough to beat a 3rd string QB. BAL by 6.

New Orleans at San Francisco - The best team in the NFL right now opens up a can of reality for Alex Smith and the 9ers. NO by 13.

New York at Green Bay - You can see this one coming from a mile away, #1 seed, not playing its best right now, OC has son die this week, Giants getting hot at the right time... NYG by 3.

3 out of 4 last week... didn't anticipate the 5 TO's in SF.

New York at San Fran - New York is the hottest and most complete team in the league right now. Their Defense isn't great, but they do rush the QB very well and that's big this time of year. SF can probably run on them, but Manning & Co will score more points than the Niners can counter. NYG by 4.

Baltimore at New England - Unless Flacco morphs into POS, there's no way the Ravens can hang scoring-wise with the Pats, b/c no one is gonna shut down Brady right now. NE by 10.

Giants/Pats Part Deux, repeat of maybe the greatest SB ever played.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:04 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The NFL needs contraction as bad the NBA.

Then all we Cleveland Fans would have left would be the Indians. Just say "NO" to contraction.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Just found out that Stephen A. Smith is a big Steelers fan. Explains so much.

Denver at New England - I still don't believe in Tebow, certainly not against the Pats. NE by 20.

Houston at Baltimore - Flacco will probably keep this game close with a few turnovers, but the Ravens have enough to beat a 3rd string QB. BAL by 6.

New Orleans at San Francisco - The best team in the NFL right now opens up a can of reality for Alex Smith and the 9ers. NO by 13.

New York at Green Bay - You can see this one coming from a mile away, #1 seed, not playing its best right now, OC has son die this week, Giants getting hot at the right time... NYG by 3.

3 out of 4 last week... didn't anticipate the 5 TO's in SF.

New York at San Fran - New York is the hottest and most complete team in the league right now. Their Defense isn't great, but they do rush the QB very well and that's big this time of year. SF can probably run on them, but Manning & Co will score more points than the Niners can counter. NYG by 4.

Baltimore at New England - Unless Flacco morphs into POS, there's no way the Ravens can hang scoring-wise with the Pats, b/c no one is gonna shut down Brady right now. NE by 10.

Giants/Pats Part Deux, repeat of maybe the greatest SB ever played.

I'm pretty much right with ya.

At the end of the day, teams like Bal, SF, Jets teams of the last couple years ... without a QB that can really zing the ball around and put up 25 or more points on the quality of teams and QBs you run into this late ... these teams have just been unable to get over the hump and get to the SB.

Pats/Giants rematch would be the highest rated SB ever.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:26 pm

swerb wrote:
Pats/Giants rematch would be the highest rated SB ever.

Plus it'd be sooo great to see those two long-suffering fan bases finally catch a break. Those people in each place are salt of the earth, humble and respectful.

I'm really pulling for both of them.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 pm

I thought Boston/New York championship games were only allowed in coastally biased sports like Baseball and the NBA? The NFL is where Jacksonville plays Tennessee I thought?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:33 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I thought Boston/New York championship games were only allowed in coastally biased sports like Baseball and the NBA? The NFL is where Jacksonville plays Tennessee I thought?

Because Baltimore/San Fran wouldn't be?

Or are you just piling on the one week that Russell Westbrook re-ups with OKC and this shit happens?

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Long suffering and mediocre fan-bases like SF and Baltimore are certainly lucky to support such a parity havin league!!!

;-)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Long suffering and mediocre fan-bases like SF and Baltimore are certainly lucky to support such a parity havin league!!!

;-)

I'm taking up a TCF collection to send you on a beautiful Mediterranean cruise that doubles as a game of "Survivor: Poseidon Adventure"

I think by 4pm there will be enough donations to pay for your cruise and to fly your remains back home and bury them.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Meh....burial at sea, eh?

Like Osama...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm just the glad Steelers proved that the San Antonio Spurs don't exist for the Parity Sports League.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Meh....burial at sea, eh?

Like Osama...

We'll have to spend the donated money on something. I'm thinking I'll bring the kegs and you get the rest.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Meh....burial at sea, eh?

Like Osama...

We'll have to spend the donated money on something. I'm thinking I'll bring the kegs and you get the rest.

SD:

Hell your thinking too small , 5 will get you ten the pile is large enough , you could seriously think about kicking back and retiring .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 pm

The weather in San Fran could really swing the advantage to the Niners.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Having the e-trade baby during the pregame proves that CBS sucks at covering the NFL.

Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:14 pm

There's just something not right about watching HOFr Dan Marino asking for Jim Rome's thoughts on the championship games today. Arguably one of top 3 QBs of all time asking for the opinion of a radio entertainer, whose schtick was worn out before any of today's starting QBs sniffed their lot in life, just lacks so much credibility and relevancy.

But thank God said radio guy is joining "the team".

I'll be watching.

:thumb up:

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Interesting note mentioned in pre-game, the one ref is among the top in calling penalties for contact on a QB.

Advantage NE.

FUDU

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Joe Flacco. Not good. Not good. ::doh::
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs