Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Holmgren Speaks, Kinda

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Holmgren Speaks, Kinda

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:51 pm

(On signing a veteran quarterback in free agency)- "That's probably not the way we are going to go but you never know. It's still early and we have two months before that happens. We'll look at everybody. There are a few guys that have played in the league that have started who will be free agents. We are looking at them and we'll have to wait and see how that goes."

^Heckert's quote from the official site's transcript.

Sounds a little less like No Flynn than Grossi's version.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:53 pm

A little for sure.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 am

The whole tone to the presser was anti-FA, I think that's what Grossi is picking up on.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:59 am

swerb wrote:The whole tone to the presser was anti-FA, I think that's what Grossi is picking up on.

Baskin was saying the same thing just after the presser. FA's wouldn't be the route this regime would take to build a winner. The feeling is backed up by Holmgren stating that this wouldn't be "a quick fix and he understands it's not what people want to hear". When Holmgren started spewing out the years it took for GB and Sea to make the play offs that solidified it.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:17 pm

[quote="JCoz

If after Pick #4 RG3 and Luck are not on this team and Colt is, then Colt is your 2012 starting QB.[/quote]

^^^^^^^ That. Not cause anyone likes it either. Survive for one more year....hope Dalton, Rothlistwerger, Flacco, develop severe shin splints.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 pm

JCoz wrote:At the end of this season? Yah, no way Colt wins that.

But lets not forget that Seneca has been in the WCO his entire career, and Colt hasn't even had an offseason practicing it. And Seneca wasn't much better as it was.

We are splitting ass hairs anyways, just saying that it is likely Colt gets a bit more comfortable in this offense by next season and it is very, very unlikely Seneca does.

Seneca, is not starting next season. If anyone (Peeks) wants to bet on that, I'll gladly take the field.

I'm with you and Peeks and Swerb and basically everyone regarding Colts future with the Browns right up until Pick #4.

If after Pick #4 RG3 and Luck are not on this team and Colt is, then Colt is your 2012 starting QB.

I hope neither one of them starts.

Colt McCoy vs Seneca Wallace is the worst QB competition since... DA vs. Quinn. Backup QB's, the whole lot of 'em.

Flip a damn coin Romeo style.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 am

:clap: In order of likelihood, based on the lost love for Colt:

#1 Seneca Wallace
#2 1st round pick, who wins the job in camp/preseason over Colt
#3 Free agent (Don't rule out another retread, Hasselbeck anyone?)
#4 Colt McCoy

Kid had a fairly monstrous year. Removing Wallace's worst year (this one) he's got the career numbers that suggest if he had started the year this year, team would have been 6-10 or 7-9. (especially if they were not using practice squad rb's)

6-10 or 7-9 next year signals progress, and gives them another chance to upgrade the QB position in the draft. If the guys THEY want aren't available, they'll punt, possibly trade down, sacrifice another season, and try again next year.

I don't agree with it; I tend to be in the group with Mother and Ey and SD that says, THIS year you have multiple bullets in the gun, and you need to use them to bring in the guy that you can develop along with the offense. Next year you may not have them. (unless they trade down and get extra picks next year, which would be telling)

All that aside, I'm still giving Heckert the benefit of the doubt with the draft UNTIL he hoses it up. If he's not sold on RG3 (or at least not sold enough to give up the extra picks) then I'm going to pretend that he knows what he's doing. This team, bereft of much talent, hung in there this year and gave me some hope for the future. If they pass on the QB this year, as long as they HIT on the rest of the top picks, im content with another mediocre year next year because our QB is backup-level. The Browns are not a one year fix, especially with Murmur at the helm, and I just want to keep seeing them work in a positive direction.

My kingdom for a quality draft, FA depth, and more creative offensive playcalling.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 pm

JCoz wrote:At the end of this season? Yah, no way Colt wins that.

But lets not forget that Seneca has been in the WCO his entire career, and Colt hasn't even had an offseason practicing it. And Seneca wasn't much better as it was.

We are splitting ass hairs anyways, just saying that it is likely Colt gets a bit more comfortable in this offense by next season and it is very, very unlikely Seneca does.

Seneca, is not starting next season. If anyone (Peeks) wants to bet on that, I'll gladly take the field.

I'm with you and Peeks and Swerb and basically everyone regarding Colts future with the Browns right up until Pick #4.

If after Pick #4 RG3 and Luck are not on this team and Colt is, then Colt is your 2012 starting QB.

SD:

Holmgrens a clueless fuckin jackass , went out of his way last year to make noises about
not wanting a QB competition , then throws that model
away this year to assure us colt or anybody else will have competition .

Stupid fuck should have never gifted his pet monkey that spot .

Had he performed his job he would have graded Colt end of the Mangy days went in and puked
got over himself for backing such drek , pulled himself together and drafted the guy last year , we now have to go find this year .

I can't emphasize enough , we needs some luck or better yet divine help , because we're in the hands of an amateur over his head and dumber than shit.

I bet he needed cue cards to remind him to tell us to stay the course.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL