Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Further Evidence We Don't Have A Monopoly On Bad Owners

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Further Evidence We Don't Have A Monopoly On Bad Owners

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 pm

My brother-in-law - a Dolphins fan - is losing his mind at this, which is bad enough if not coupled with the failed attempt to get Harbaugh last year while Sparano was still under contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825b0e67/article/peterson-ireland-running-separate-coaching-searches-in-miami?module=HP11_headline_stack

Peterson was with Fisher in Miami on Tuesday, shown on television in Ross' helicopter. However, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the Dolphins' hiring process, Peterson has no role whatsoever in the interviewing process of other candidates.

Current general manager Jeff Ireland has compiled a list of less-experienced and less-powerful candidates whom he's interviewing with Ross. Interim coach Todd Bowles interviewed for the full-time job Monday, and Chicago Bears special teams coach Dave Toub arrived in Miami on Tuesday to have dinner with team officials, then continue his interview with a trip to the team facility Wednesday.

Ross and Ireland also met with Fisher while he was in Miami. But Peterson isn't even listed on Toub's interview itinerary, according to sources.

So, in essence, the Dolphins are leading two different but parallel searches. If one of Ireland's candidates is hired, then several sources said there's little chance Peterson has a role with the team. If Peterson were to grab Fisher (and sources mentioned Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett as another candidate Peterson supports), then not only could Peterson take a team president position, but Ireland's status might end up in doubt, with Peterson considering bringing several of his former personnel people with him to Miami from Kansas City.

Should the Dolphins not land Fisher, the team will try to keep Bowles on its defensive staff, sources said, but other teams are eyeing him for head-coaching and coordinator openings.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Further Evidence We Don't Have A Monopoly On Bad Owners

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I was expecting to read about Irsay firing Polian but not Campbell.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:27 pm

I was expecting to read about the Chargers retaining Norv Turner.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I have friends in Indy and trust me, that was not met with the disdain it was nationally.

The Polians had worn out their welcome thru poor drafts and a general arrogance towards personnel and football decisions. The media had long grown tired but it needed the push from the fans, after the Collins incident along with many others. Every week Bill Polian was on the radio for his weekly show did not help either.

The partnership had run its course by many accounts.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 am

I have lived in the DC area for more than half a decade now, and Washington radio has given me all kinds of perspective on that type of stuff.

IMO, Snyder is a clown, and washington has been run like a circus.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 pm

noles1 wrote:I have friends in Indy and trust me, that was not met with the disdain it was nationally.

The Polians had worn out their welcome thru poor drafts and a general arrogance towards personnel and football decisions. The media had long grown tired but it needed the push from the fans, after the Collins incident along with many others. Every week Bill Polian was on the radio for his weekly show did not help either.

The partnership had run its course by many accounts.

^This. Good friend of mine is a Colts season ticket holder. I called him immediately after I heard this report and he thought it was a good move. Educated Colts fan thought that Chris Polian was a knucklehead who got his job via nepotism. Bill Polian is still viewed as a good football mind, but he is being viewed as necessary collateral damage.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah, I think we need to throw Jim Irsay in the mix.

Inherited his money/team just like a number of other NFL buffoons.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL