Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Game Thread: Sadness

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Game Thread: Sadness

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:26 pm

3 FGs? All we managed was 3 goddamn FGs?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:29 pm

So do we officially have the 4th pick in the draft?
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:3 FGs? All we managed was 3 goddamn FGs?

Good enough to cover the spread.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:34 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Unless Cribbs takes one back, there is almost zero chance this team scores any TDs. There are zero playmakers on O. Not really any on D either.

Just Dawson.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:37 pm

The upshot is I will probably never have to watch sweet lil Colt take another snap again. With his 13 year old girl arm.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:42 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

I put a post on here about 6 weeks ago, regarding the fact there is always a team that goes most of the season avoiding Vegas and/or the sharps & public never really catching fully onto. And the fact this year it was right here in the back yard.

Well, 6 more weeks gone - and not a things changed. Most predictable play caller in the league and nobody competent to run the show.

The under has been ABSOLUTE GOLD all year long. Couldn't set em' low enough - and they started way too high before trending down. How low ya gonna put today with these weather conditions?

To the window.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Pabo wrote:Anyone wanna hear a dirty little secret?

Joe Haden sucks.

Very average. A bust of a pick so far.

Wow. Tough room. They guy is continually singled up on the opponents #1 receiver usually with no safety help. Owen Marecic is a bust. Joe Haden is the best DB we have. By a long way.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Browns battled.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Triple-S wrote:Can I rant on this?

For as much as Mike Holmgren went and chewed out reporters about how things "Were different now", and this other "ALL IS WELL" talk, boy, the eye test is failing me with that.

I see..a stadium full of Steeler fans and a team with nothing to play for except for draft selection. The QB situation is still missing the guy, the Coach is a fucking joke, and as far as I'm concerned the FO as well, because..until I see otherwise it is.

We're a 4-12, and as it stands..the worst run team in all of football.

Proove me wrong Mike. I don't care how it's done, I want to see this team compete every sunday, not play for a draft pick.

Well, the traditional end of year game against the Steelers is usually a 43-0 ass fucking. So at least that's different.
mattvan1

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:33 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Can I rant on this?

For as much as Mike Holmgren went and chewed out reporters about how things "Were different now", and this other "ALL IS WELL" talk, boy, the eye test is failing me with that.

I see..a stadium full of Steeler fans and a team with nothing to play for except for draft selection. The QB situation is still missing the guy, the Coach is a fucking joke, and as far as I'm concerned the FO as well, because..until I see otherwise it is.

We're a 4-12, and as it stands..the worst run team in all of football.

Proove me wrong Mike. I don't care how it's done, I want to see this team compete every sunday, not play for a draft pick.

Well, the traditional end of year game against the Steelers is usually a 43-0 ass fucking. So at least that's different.

Agree with most of the rant, but it's true that they do compete most every week. Just can't finish. I'm pretty optimistic about things turning around- we're just impatient.
D is in good hands with Jauron. If the O could keep the ball longer and get some points, the D would look even better. Expecting the O to get a lot of attention this offseason.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:45 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Wow. Tough room. They guy is continually singled up on the opponents #1 receiver usually with no safety help. Owen Marecic is a bust. Joe Haden is the best DB we have. By a long way.

He is the best DB the Browns have. But he's still average. And incredibly inconsistent.

As far as Browns draft picks go, he's the cat's pajamas. But that's nothing to hang your hat on.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Wow. Tough room. They guy is continually singled up on the opponents #1 receiver usually with no safety help. Owen Marecic is a bust. Joe Haden is the best DB we have. By a long way.

He is the best DB the Browns have. But he's still average. And incredibly inconsistent.

As far as Browns draft picks go, he's the cat's pajamas. But that's nothing to hang your hat on.

Not wanting to pick a fight, but outside of LT, C, and maybe DT, I cannot think of a position that needs an upgrade less than #1 CB. Look around at the garbage that passes for CBs on division winners and playoff teams - outside of Revis and Champ Bailey, Joe Haden is a Pro Bowl CB if his team doesn't eminate from the factory of sadness. Jonathan Joesph? Please.

Not some type of Haden pimp but really there are about 45 other dudes who deserve the haterade more than him.
mattvan1

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 am

This is how cynical I've become.

The Browns will try and fail to sign Matt Flynn. McCoy will be traded for a 3rd-Round pick, because somebody will do it.

Holmgren then will pass on RG3 for somebody else in the second round and we'll end up with Seneca Wallace as the starter.

Shurmur will not improve as a head coach, and the Browns finish 2012 3-13. Lerner hits the reset button again before disappearing back to England again on a killer ascot-shopping spree.

:pb:
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:31 am

Triple-S wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:The announcers are worse the game. And that's hard to do.

does kevin harlan have pissburgh roots?

Did you expect him to talk up the 4-11 (at that point) team? ::doh::

I guess the team doing the Saints/Panthers game must've been conceived and delivered in the Quarter.

Last game of the season, perrenially playoff team vs the league doormat. The network is ALWAYS going to talk up the po team. If you wanted a review of another piss poor season, shoulda tuned into the Browns radio network
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:18 am

You can't say goddamn on the air!!
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:34 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

Not wanting to pick a fight, but outside of LT, C, and maybe DT, I cannot think of a position that needs an upgrade less than #1 CB. Look around at the garbage that passes for CBs on division winners and playoff teams - outside of Revis and Champ Bailey, Joe Haden is a Pro Bowl CB if his team doesn't eminate from the factory of sadness. Jonathan Joesph? Please.

Not some type of Haden pimp but really there are about 45 other dudes who deserve the haterade more than him.

Exactly- I find it funny people minimize how good he is. Go down there and watch him. You'll appreciate just how rarely they throw at him and just how little help he gets from the Pro Bowl-level safeties like Usama Young, Erc Hagg and Mike Adams.

Complaining about Haden is ignorant. He is a Pro-Bowl quality player who tackles better than 98% of the CBs in the league and who's probably the best run supporting CB in the game.

Guy gets beat a couple times a year and I see Haden posts here. I just got done watching Buster Skrine leap for a ball that landed in front of him when I'm not watching the corpse of Sheldon Brown get beat all over the field.

On a team that ain't a joke Joe Haden is in Honololulu annually. Like I said, go watch him and only him down there during any game.

Plenty of good seats are usually available.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:You'll appreciate just how rarely they throw at him and just how little help he gets from the Pro Bowl-level safeties like Usama Young, Erc Hagg and Mike Adams.

I just got done watching Buster Skrine leap for a ball that landed in front of him when I'm not watching the corpse of Sheldon Brown get beat all over the field.

Which is to my point. Why throw at the only swinging dick on the field? Compared to those guys he's Jesus Tebow. Does that make him a a top 4 CB in the AFC?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote:You'll appreciate just how rarely they throw at him and just how little help he gets from the Pro Bowl-level safeties like Usama Young, Erc Hagg and Mike Adams.

I just got done watching Buster Skrine leap for a ball that landed in front of him when I'm not watching the corpse of Sheldon Brown get beat all over the field.

Which is to my point. Why throw at the only swinging dick on the field? Compared to those guys he's Jesus Tebow. Does that make him a a top 4 CB in the AFC?

I think it does, yes. Not just necessarily for that reason, but for his overall game. The shut down ability, run support and the fact he covers up a lot of mistakes. He made a play in the 3rd or 4th quarter yesterday where he read the throw, came off his man and broke up a play that would have gone for 20 yards on Skrine by diving and getting a couple fingertips on the ball.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:14 pm

peeker643 wrote: broke up a play that would have gone for 20 yards on Skrine

Was there an inexplicable jump involved in that "coverage" as well?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote: broke up a play that would have gone for 20 yards on Skrine

Was there an inexplicable jump involved in that "coverage" as well?

No.

But there was Skrine's much expected suck.

I saw far too much Skrine and Hagg on the field yesterday. The fact that the winds were swirling at 40mph was about the only reason those two didn't get beat for four TDs.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:18 pm

By the way, hats off to Josh Cribbs yesterday. That cat played his balls off and was simply a demon all day. Great day receiving, couple tough catches, couple of times knocking Polamalu back 5 yards and an absolute beast on special teams coverage.

Made me proud to watch him yesterday.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:47 pm

peeker643 wrote: an absolute beast on special teams coverage.

Tru dat. Absolute game changer in regards to field position. Keep the dude as a gunner. Who's idea was it to pull him off coverage?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:42 am

Triple-S wrote:
FUDU wrote:Probably go back n forth between game and Shawshank, it has to be on somewhere, it's always on.

OT

how do you decide what's the best movie of 94?

Forrest Gump
Shawshank
Pulp Fiction

all in one year?

You start by tossing Forrest Gump out cuz it's not nearly as good as the other 2.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby aclayman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:07 am

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:
FUDU wrote:Probably go back n forth between game and Shawshank, it has to be on somewhere, it's always on.

OT

how do you decide what's the best movie of 94?

Forrest Gump
Shawshank
Pulp Fiction

all in one year?

You start by tossing Forrest Gump out cuz it's not nearly as good as the other 2.

Then add Baby's Day Out, House Party 3, and North. A great year in cinema indeed.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 am

aclayman wrote:Then add Baby's Day Out, House Party 3, and North. A great year in cinema indeed.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 20302/1023

Ebert's most hated film.

I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

"North" is a bad film - one of the worst movies ever made. But it is not by a bad filmmaker, and must represent some sort of lapse from which Reiner will recover - possibly sooner than I will.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL