Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

QB lottery

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: QB lottery

Unread postby hiko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Yeah but would they?

I want them to have that option. Whether they do or they don't is up to them.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby hiko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 pm

fundamentals wrote:The Browns are going to have to draft a QB. Colt McCoy is going to be Tim Couch 2.0. Dude is getting crushed over and over and over. Not saying he's a good QB but don't think with what is there he can get much accomplished. Still can't figure out how anyone could function well with the cast of misfits who inhabit the offensive side of the ball.

I agree with you completely, while still maintaining that I'm 98% sure that he'll never be a championship level QB in today's NFL no matter what he's got around him.
hiko

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm

hiko wrote:
fundamentals wrote:The Browns are going to have to draft a QB. Colt McCoy is going to be Tim Couch 2.0. Dude is getting crushed over and over and over. Not saying he's a good QB but don't think with what is there he can get much accomplished. Still can't figure out how anyone could function well with the cast of misfits who inhabit the offensive side of the ball.

I agree with you completely, while still maintaining that I'm 98% sure that he'll never be a championship level QB in today's NFL no matter what he's got around him.

Really? With two first round picks? And McCoy about to be 0-10 vs the AFC North?

McCoy doesn't have the arm. It's that simple. And the NFL has never been more about zinging the ball all over the field. Holmgren has gotta see that.

I'd be shocked if they don't pick a QB at #5. Only way they don't IMO is if they sign a guy like Matt Flynn in FA.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:57 pm

hiko wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Yeah but would they?

I want them to have that option. Whether they do or they don't is up to them.

That'd be the ideal scenario for us. Draft 4th, have our choice of Barkley, RG3, or neither. And if neither, we'd be in position for another trade down windfall, and in that scenario it would make me very, very happy if we loaded up on defense with all four picks in the first two rounds. Maybe then, we'd finally, finally, finally be good at something.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:07 pm

swerb wrote:
hiko wrote:

Really? With two first round picks? And McCoy about to be 0-10 vs the AFC North?

McCoy doesn't have the arm. It's that simple. And the NFL has never been more about zinging the ball all over the field. Holmgren has gotta see that.

I'd be shocked if they don't pick a QB at #5. Only way they don't IMO is if they sign a guy like Matt Flynn in FA.

I don't get the often mentioned possible acquisition of Matt Flynn. Without LSU's success in college ball nobody would be able to tell the difference between Matt Flynn and a shoe salesman from Foot Locker.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:28 pm

We'll never know if McCoy could have succeeded if surrounded by a good team because by the time the words good team and the Browns are mentioned in the same sentence McCoy will have been used up anyway

He flat out looke dlike he didn't give a rats ass on two consecutive series yesterday and considering how he gets pummeld on a regular basis who could blame him?

A case could be made for Kahil if he's there as well as RG3
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Totally off topic..............to see Eric Mangini on ESPN talking about time management at the end of the Cowboys' game was a sure sign the end of times is near. :thud: Back to topic, the Browns will select a QB in this draft. :dead:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:07 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:Hey, I'm not a big fan of Jones either. Just pointing out that most scouts would say that he was much more talented than Colt.

RG3 is like a dream I don't want to bother having because it won't come true.

Splitting hairs and not important at all, but I don't think people would say that regarding Jones over McCoy. Not as college players. There aren't many QBs in the history of college football more decorated than McCoy. I know decorated doesn't necessarily equate to talent but throwing for 76+%, 3500 yards, 34TDs and 8ints, and 550 yards rushing has to involve some....

I think Landry Jones falls short, personally speaking. Not bias as I really don't care what becomes of McCoy or Jones other than their Browns-related newsworthiness.

When one is drafted in the 1st Round and the other is drafted at the end of the 3rd, it speaks to what the scouts think of each player's talent level/potential. I think Landry's height alone gets him drafted in the 1st. If Colt were 4 inches taller, he'd have been a 1st rounder too.

Again, not my argument.

Meh... height and draft position as indicators of talent? I'll take the wins, intangibles and college numbers of McCoy over those of Landry. And then once you start projecting as to what they'll do in the NFL all of it goes out the window.

Klingler, Dave Brown, Rick Mirer, Shuler, Dilfer, Druckenmiller, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Leaf, McGwire, Jamarcus, etc., etc., et al. Someone thought they were all talented with potential.

I guess my overriding point is I simply want no part of Landry Jones. None. He hasn't shown me close to what McCoy showed me in very similar programs.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hiko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:17 pm

nm
hiko

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Although we fight about the Tribe, the peeker squirrel article today was the best thing I've read on this site ever!! My sincere compliments for 100 percent excellence in that article. Robert Griffin is the only thing that could get me to watch the Browns ever again I think. Because of where I live, they are never on TV as they simply aren't good enough and I refuse to pay for premium NFL services which is likely a good thing. I saw the Seattle game and will have a chance to watch Thursday....that is all of my viewing this year. Griffin would bring a Newton/Vick/Tebow like presence to the team whether he is any good or not is immaterial. He appears to be able to throw and can run. he's all I want.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL