Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

David Garrard cut

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

David Garrard cut

Unread postby Spin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:14 pm

After the final cuts, and right before the season starts, the Jaguars cut starting quarterback David Garrard.

The timing's surprising...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: David Garrard cut

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Spin wrote:After the final cuts, and right before the season starts, the Jaguars cut starting quarterback David Garrard.

The timing's surprising...

Not to Byron Leftwich ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Defensive coaches managing QBs is always interesting.... Del Rio is turning his coaching future over to Luke McCown could Luke be the one the Browns let get away?

All in with a pair of tens.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

I fail to see the mystery. This has nothing to do with a defensive minded coach or the East Carolina Pirates or the fact that Garrard has a lot of talent but is inconsistent.

It has everything to do with the fact the Jags cannot sell out a home game to save the franchise, they drafted Gabbert, are hemorrhaging cash, and cutting Garrard just saved Wayne's World Weaver a cool $9 mil. Which will come in handy when he and Roger move the team to Cali.

fornia, not Colombia.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:07 pm

I normally wouldn't be advocating a move like this..anti-modell and all

But I mean, if you fail to sell out games with a competitive team that has been to 2 AFC Championship games, 2 division titles, 6 playoff births in it's 15 year history. That's kind of inexcusable.

LA or San Antonio are beckoning (preferably)

Can you imagine the buzz that a Browns team would be getting in town with a run like that?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:48 pm

mattvan1 wrote:I fail to see the mystery. This has nothing to do with a defensive minded coach or the East Carolina Pirates or the fact that Garrard has a lot of talent but is inconsistent.

It has everything to do with the fact the Jags cannot sell out a home game to save the franchise, they drafted Gabbert, are hemorrhaging cash, and cutting Garrard just saved Wayne's World Weaver a cool $9 mil. Which will come in handy when he and Roger move the team to Cali.

fornia, not Colombia.

I can't argue against the money angle at all. I do know that I have seen too many defensive coaches mishandle the position especially in this town.

I agree, the Jags days are numbered on the east coast.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby southernflyer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:53 am

Here was an interesting article from Mike Bianchi, who I usually can't stand with his fluff pieces in the Orlando Sentinel. Main premise is that Tampa might be the team that should move over the Jags.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-08-25/story/mike-bianchi-forget-jaguars-maybe-buccaneers-should-move-la
southernflyer

Favorite Player: Face from the A Team
Least Favorite Player: David Delucci

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:46 am

My guess is we get two teams. One downtown and one in City of Industry (an inland cesspool perfectly suited to the Raiders - and the fucking retarded idiots that follow them) The Jaguars would be welcome d'twn. I'm sure they won't be short suitors.

Ftr - I moved to LA from C-town just after the Rams and Raiders left...Browns moved too that year. There's an entire generation of kids here who have never known pro football. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens. I for one am very much looking forward to jumping on the train and going d'town to watch my Brownies play football. Gotta go to SF for that now...twice. :woot:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 am

jta1975 wrote:
I can't argue against the money angle at all. I do know that I have seen too many defensive coaches mishandle the position especially in this town.

Yes, indeed. You mean you weren't a fan of Romeo's "gut feel" for choosing a QB? I figured anybody with a gut that large should have a good idea of what needed to be done. Guess not. Naming Frye tyhe starter and then trading him after the season opener was one of my personal highlights.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 am

bookelly wrote:My guess is we get two teams. One downtown and one in City of Industry (an inland cesspool perfectly suited to the Raiders - and the fucking retarded idiots that follow them) The Jaguars would be welcome d'twn. I'm sure they won't be short suitors.

Ftr - I moved to LA from C-town just after the Rams and Raiders left...Browns moved too that year. There's an entire generation of kids here who have never known pro football. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens. I for one am very much looking forward to jumping on the train and going d'town to watch my Brownies play football. Gotta go to SF for that now...twice. :woot:

When I lived in SoCal, I found a majority of people there to be Raiders fans. It was if the Rams had never existed.

That was the urban sprawl, though (San Bernardino, Ontario, etc.). In LA, it was completely different with it being one of those towns where a lot of the people that lived there came from somewhere else. There were 2 Browns bars in the Valley alone, and those were just the ones I knew of.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Will the Colts make a move for him?
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL