Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Quantify A "Good Season for Colt"

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Quantify A "Good Season for Colt"

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:02 am

mattvan1 wrote:Does this help?

From Elias: Colt McCoy threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Mohamed Massaquoi with 43 seconds to play, and Phil Dawson's conversion gave the Browns a 17-16 win over the Dolphins. It was the first time in more than 30 years that the Browns scored a game-winning TD pass in the final minute of the fourth quarter before their home fans. Cleveland's eight previous victories of that type had been road wins. The Browns last such victory at home came against the Packers in October 1980, when Brian Sipe connected with Dave Logan for 46 yards with 16 seconds to play.

It won't. People who have their mind made up won't look at that as anything other than really shitty football for 58 minutes and one great throw (or one big fuckup from the DB who simply can't let anyone behind him there).

I've watched that throw 15 times. Effing perfect. Might be the best ball he's thrown all year from the pocket and I'm hoping dude is learning to hang in there when he can.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 am

The throw to Moore and the throw to Hardesty were well done also. Here's the highlights of that drive:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:16 am

peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Does this help?

From Elias: Colt McCoy threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Mohamed Massaquoi with 43 seconds to play, and Phil Dawson's conversion gave the Browns a 17-16 win over the Dolphins. It was the first time in more than 30 years that the Browns scored a game-winning TD pass in the final minute of the fourth quarter before their home fans. Cleveland's eight previous victories of that type had been road wins. The Browns last such victory at home came against the Packers in October 1980, when Brian Sipe connected with Dave Logan for 46 yards with 16 seconds to play.

It won't. People who have their mind made up won't look at that as anything other than really shitty football for 58 minutes and one great throw (or one big fuckup from the DB who simply can't let anyone behind him there).

I've watched that throw 15 times. Effing perfect. Might be the best ball he's thrown all year from the pocket and I'm hoping dude is learning to hang in there when he can.

He hasn't been great, but new offense, and dreadfully inconsistant pass protection are the obvious factors. It's caused Colt to be rushed on the few plays where he does have some protection. I think if the line can get some consistancy going, even if its just consistantly average, it would help more than having good protection one play and turnstiles the next. We know Colt is more accurate than he showed yesterday. Fantastic throw to Mo.

That was awesome. So was that drive in general. No it wasnt a HOF 2 min drill but it was good enough for an offense in training to get the win. Nice confidence builder for the next time we see a situation like that.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 am

JCoz wrote:He hasn't been great, but new offense, and dreadfully inconsistant pass protection are the obvious factors. It's caused Colt to be rushed on the few plays where he does have some protection. I think if the line can get some consistancy going, even if its just consistantly average, it would help more than having good protection one play and turnstiles the next. We know Colt is more accurate than he showed yesterday. Fantastic throw to Mo.

That was awesome. So was that drive in general. No it wasnt a HOF 2 min drill but it was good enough for an offense in training to get the win. Nice confidence builder for the next time we see a situation like that.

And that's the reasonable stance. But QBs here and everywhere are polarizing figures. I don't think reason enters the equation all that often once minds are made up.

Still, if the line is going to be an issue going forward Shurmur has to do more with half rolls, bubble screens and screens (I recall only one from yesterday though I could have missed another). And hell, even that may not be applicable if it's solely the opponents' fronts 3 or 4 getting all the pressure.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:12 pm

He looked like crap, but he won the game.

So I still have discomforting reservations about the kid, but Pup is now on his bandwagon. ;-) ;) :wink:
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:43 pm

I don't think you can "quantify" a good season for Colt. His #s won't tell the story. We're trying to determine whether he is a long term solution at QB.

I've been watching the games, playing close attention to his accuracy, pocket presence, arm strength, decision making, and the ability to make the throws needed to good NFL QB. Much like the supreme court's definition of pronography, "you know it when you see it"

I'll grade him at a C+ so far this season. The jury is still out.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL