Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Understanding New Cap Rules

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Understanding New Cap Rules

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:41 am

Here is a great article by Andrew Brandt the President of the National Football Post.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-in-the-new-Cap.html

Brandt used to be an Executive with the Packers where he was a cap guy and currently a NFL Business Analyst for Espn so he really understands how that stuff works.

The quick summary.....the reported 99% cash spend was misreported and no minimum cash spend per team is in effect until 2013. The 2011-12 requirements have to do with a league average and enough teams will spend cash over the cap to allow teams like the Browns to not have to.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Re: Understanding New Cap Rules

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Ultimately, I believe the Browns assessed where they are in the grand scheme and elected to save money and future cap hits in order to position themselves better for '12, '13 and '14. Throw in next year's draft and what is likely to be a repositioning of the FA market over the next couple years and you have to like where the Browns are positioned at least.

Admittedly, I wanted a bigger "splash" in FA this year but all things considered when you start to look at the youth on the roster and what we could be positioned for in 12 and then 13 (also factoring the inevitable decline of Baltimore and Pittsburgh - hopefully!), there are certain reasons for optimism.

That said, as we all well know, the decisions made upon that time will be the true test to whether we can get this ship righted and the franchise back to where it rightfully deserves to be.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I think the franchis is positioned exactly as it deserves to be.

It's blown for 12 years since coming and has been relevant for maybe 10 of the last 40 seasons.

That's pretty well earned IMO.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:31 pm

All I want is to know when the fuck this team is going play football that is actually watchable.

Working on a goddamn 12 year plan.

The Cleveland Browns; "We can't suck forever!"

I might need to find a new hobby on Sundays. I hear POGs are coming back.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL