Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Youngest Team Ever?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Youngest Team Ever?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Anyone at all even remotely interested in taking a run at Osi? If we could get them off the 1st round pick as compensation, it might worth a shot to get a solid DE in the prime of his career.

30 and ready to get the contract of his career?

For a 2nd rounder....... on this team? No thanks.

He'll be cut before this team is ready to contend.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jta1975 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 am

This forum should be bronzed....

My problem isn't necessarily with the age or money spent...My issues come from words like depth and competition...combined with the reality that the contracts these second and third tier guys are getting is nothing that is breaking the bank...

The leadership and competition at DE is no where to be found....you need at least one DE who has started in the league before for guidance and to use as a guage...you need at least one backup LB with some pedigree...Give me another option at safety other than Mike Adams (keeper by the way great versatility) and Usama Young who is truly a wait and see player they are paying 2 mil a year for.

I could care less about names, give me competition and leadership at least to use as a measuring stick.

With the talent in the division it is a hard pill to swallow when you have youth backed up by the green and inexperienced
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby mistero » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 am

Holmgren: "How about this stat? We went from one of the oldest teams in football to one of the youngest and we lost 331 years. We’re a young team and now having said that we’re going to have some growing pains, but I think looking back on my year I don’t question my decision to retain Eric (Mangini) and those guys. I thought long and hard about it. The fact that then I had to make the change I suppose if I made it right away you could say we’d be a year ahead but I had reasons for not doing it and that’s the way it is. Now we have to kinda get going again but I like the way our team is functioning. We have these young people that are going to be good. Tom Heckert does a great job in personnel. I mean he really is good. The really good thing I did was surround myself with really smart guys and they can really do the job.”
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:58 pm

jta1975 wrote:This forum should be bronzed....

My problem isn't necessarily with the age or money spent...My issues come from words like depth and competition...combined with the reality that the contracts these second and third tier guys are getting is nothing that is breaking the bank...

The leadership and competition at DE is no where to be found....you need at least one DE who has started in the league before for guidance and to use as a guage...you need at least one backup LB with some pedigree...Give me another option at safety other than Mike Adams (keeper by the way great versatility) and Usama Young who is truly a wait and see player they are paying 2 mil a year for.

I could care less about names, give me competition and leadership at least to use as a measuring stick.

With the talent in the division it is a hard pill to swallow when you have youth backed up by the green and inexperienced

SD:

Damned if you do damned if you don't , we had to get younger , we are , we have to get better , and thats a work in progress .

Had we a chance to get these coaches and players acclimated to each other this offseason , I suspect we'd of been in a better position to add a vet or two after seeing forourselves the talent and how it fit the new schemes .

As it is now we have so many young guys on both sides of the ball , and no familirarity with the personel and the coaches , if you run in even more players , the chance to overlook and miss on guys given the short leash becomes even bigger.

Its not like we had good players depart in the purge who left a legacy of perfection .

Most were in the way of developing younger faster players , we've relied on Band-Aids so long , we don't have a mindset amenable to try another way .

The Tampa bay bucks played ten rookies last year , the only difference between them and us , is they were plugged into a solid working system where they had legit personnel to mentor the utes in key ares ....that and they found a QB .

This season is defined if we find out Colt is the answer all other problems can be fixed once you solve the answer at QB.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jta1975 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:20 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
SD:

Damned if you do damned if you don't , we had to get younger , we are , we have to get better , and thats a work in progress .

Had we a chance to get these coaches and players acclimated to each other this offseason , I suspect we'd of been in a better position to add a vet or two after seeing forourselves the talent and how it fit the new schemes .

As it is now we have so many young guys on both sides of the ball , and no familirarity with the personel and the coaches , if you run in even more players , the chance to overlook and miss on guys given the short leash becomes even bigger.

Its not like we had good players depart in the purge who left a legacy of perfection .

Most were in the way of developing younger faster players , we've relied on Band-Aids so long , we don't have a mindset amenable to try another way .

The Tampa bay bucks played ten rookies last year , the only difference between them and us , is they were plugged into a solid working system where they had legit personnel to mentor the utes in key ares ....that and they found a QB .

This season is defined if we find out Colt is the answer all other problems can be fixed once you solve the answer at QB.

SoulDawg

Agreed on all points, I do understand both the mindset and the direction. It is that competitor inside of me that fights with the mindset of dropping the "A-Bomb" and waiting to see what it shakes out...

I understand the point of view but the fire inside of me won't be onboard until I see some games being played and find some players to take interest in.

I guess I really just wish a regime before now had done it so it could be over but that is just a dream not reality...Being a guy who follows the draft and young players I do understand that this is the year to find out about Colt and his ability....There are some real gunslingers coming out this year and we need to know.

They really could have signed a couple of vets for guidance...I guess that is my biggest beef.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 pm

There is no reason they couldn't have signed a few guys on D to supplement the roster.

And it's not like our defense is even all that young.

I'm fine w/ keeping the offense as is (although an RT would have been nice), but a few supplementary 1 year deals would have gone a long way on D and wouldn't have blocked anyone.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:38 pm

We needed a WR, someone to stretch the field that opposing Ds had to respect. Would've loved to take a run at Malcom Floyd.

Lofa Tatupu is out their, Holgrem had him in Seattle. We should take a look at him to bolster our LBs.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 pm

jta1975 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
SD:

SoulDawg

Agreed on all points, I do understand both the mindset and the direction. It is that competitor inside of me that fights with the mindset of dropping the "A-Bomb" and waiting to see what it shakes out...

I understand the point of view but the fire inside of me won't be onboard until I see some games being played and find some players to take interest in.

I guess I really just wish a regime before now had done it so it could be over but that is just a dream not reality...Being a guy who follows the draft and young players I do understand that this is the year to find out about Colt and his ability....There are some real gunslingers coming out this year and we need to know.

They really could have signed a couple of vets for guidance...I guess that is my biggest beef.

SD:

I share your angst , because Heckert in part is delusional recently stating we have one of the best linebacking units in the league .

http://blogs.cantonrep.com/freshbrownie ... ps-in-nfl/

"""• Heckert called the linebacking trio of Scott Fujita, D’Qwell Jackson and Chris Gocong “one of the best starting groups in the NFL.”

He said “maybe one or two” backup linebacker jobs are “up for grabs,” but he made it clear he likes young veterans Titus Brown and Kaluka Maiava, and added, “I’m actually real happy with what we have.”""""

Well sir anyhow I checked the roster to see who we traded for or if we did a back deal and got Casey Mathews instead of Cameron or better yet GreenBay felt sorry for us and sent Clay Mathews to Berea , because he really should be a Brown

I'm happy he's so happy , butt its well documented drugs will induce euphoric states for no reason at all, exhibit #1 and 1A if the players ever demand FO execs should be as rigorously drug tested as the players

Because his reason fro being happy was the same Gocong who has demonstrated he can neither play the 43 or the 34 , the same Nyquil who hasn't finished a season in two years , and 400 year old Scott Fujita who finished last year observing from the sideline due to injury .

Yeah buddy its either a smoking or a drinking problem if not both.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:02 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

I share your angst , because Heckert in part is delusional recently stating we have one of the best linebacking units in the league .

http://blogs.cantonrep.com/freshbrownie ... ps-in-nfl/

"""• Heckert called the linebacking trio of Scott Fujita, D’Qwell Jackson and Chris Gocong “one of the best starting groups in the NFL.”

He said “maybe one or two” backup linebacker jobs are “up for grabs,” but he made it clear he likes young veterans Titus Brown and Kaluka Maiava, and added, “I’m actually real happy with what we have.”""""

Well sir anyhow I checked the roster to see who we traded for or if we did a back deal and got Casey Mathews instead of Cameron or better yet GreenBay felt sorry for us and sent Clay Mathews to Berea , because he really should be a Brown

I'm happy he's so happy , butt its well documented drugs will induce euphoric states for no reason at all, exhibit #1 and 1A if the players ever demand FO execs should be as rigorously drug tested as the players

Because his reason fro being happy was the same Gocong who has demonstrated he can neither play the 43 or the 34 , the same Nyquil who hasn't finished a season in two years , and 400 year old Scott Fujita who finished last year observing from the sideline due to injury .

Yeah buddy its either a smoking or a drinking problem if not both.

SoulDawg

Come now, what do you expect him to say? Just b/c he says he's "happy" and that the LB corps is "one of the best" doesn't mean he believes it.

I do share the mystification that many have shown about the lack of procuring quality depth through FA. It almost feels it's part of the Luck Plan.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL