Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Guess the Player

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Guess the Player

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Let's play a guessing game, match the names and stats to player descriptions....I know it is a layup but with no football what the hell!

Match the stats and names to player description.....

70 catches 572 yards 3td
171 carries 635yards 12td

Stats
25 catches 258yards 1td
36 rushes 67yards 9td

Names
Owen Marecic ("classic WCO FB")
Lawrence Vickers ("classic power FB")

Player A

Receiving Skills- "Limited in this area. Lack of athleticism hinders and limits overall routes. Hands do not appear natural and can fight the ball. Often allows ball into body. Can bounce off of initial contact but not much of a threat after the catch."

Running skills- "Limited experience carrying the ball but has shown the vision and lateral mobility to locate seams between the tackles in limited looks. While doesn't show great power, runs downhill, lowers shoulder into defenders and drives legs after contact. Ball carriage is solid in traffic."

Blocking- "Makes up for lack of ideal athletic ability with sound angles. Keeps feet moving upon contact and can cover up linebackers in phone booth situations. However, doesn't show elite initial power at the point of attack and may have issues rooting bigger linebackers out of the hole. When under control does a sound job of covering up targets at the second level or downfield. Can leave feet in the open field and whiff on occasion."

Player B

"If the term "team-oriented" ever became part of Webster's Dictionary, a picture of ******* should be placed right next to that description. ****** is one of the most versatile players in all of college football. He has good speed, solid blocking ability and natural hands; thus, he's a threat at tailback, fullback and receiver (and so was born his position moniker:V-Back)."

"Hard worker and well-conditioned player who has the room to add more bulk and strength to his developing frame … Builds to top speed efficiently and runs at a low pad level, keeping his shoulders square and legs churning while showing good urgency protecting the ball to move the piles and rush up the seams … Has vision to locate cutback lanes and the strength to prevent defenders from walking him back when forced to bounce to the outside rush lanes … Has good route-running skills, coming out his breaks with no wasted motion … Shows the loose hips to elude some level two defenders after the catch and good hand extension to reach and pluck for the high passes … Determined cut blocker who takes good angles to engage and neutralize the defender … Has the power to run over defenders on cutback runs through the zone … Adds to his assets by his quickness getting downfield to cover on punt and kickoff returns (one of the best gunners in college)."
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Re: Guess the Player

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 pm

My assumption is Marecik is Player A.

I still scratch my head over that pick guessing money/uncertain FA status was the biggest reason for selecting the kid. And it sure sounds like Vickers was built for the WCO offense, no?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Ok, I can't take it anymore I admit this was a set up post. I read a few comments on a newspaper site that got me fired up so I had to post this.

The good stats and the Player B snippets are from a Vickers scouting report in 2006 when he was the #1 rated FB in the draft.

It really bothers me when people can't remember five years ago when the knock on Vickers was his blocking and physicality. Personally I didn't think he was going to last in the NFL because I didn't think he was physical enough.

Mo Carthon and his expectations of the position combined with having Terrelle Smith as a mentor his rookie year started his transformation into the jacked up beast he is today. The guys totally transformed his game to do what was asked of a FB in the power running game that came with Jamal Lewis. He put in the work to change his body and attitude in order to try and be the best FB he could be for the type of offense that called for a glorified O-lineman.

Look, I get the fact that everybody remembers the drops he had last year in crucial situations but that is the product of his environment in my opinion.

The lack of use has rusted his skills a bit but the reality of how they have used him is one in which he had more receptions his first year starting than he has had combined in the last two seasons.

Look, I get the Browns drafting a rookie and moving on so to speak but it doesn't have to do with Vicker's ability in my world it is about money. Why pay a FB what Vickers will get for a position that is virtually invisible in a Pat Shurmur offense.

I will support the end result which will probably be Vickers on another team but the notion he doesn't fit the offense is way off base in my opinion.

Mike Karney had 5 catches and 6 carries with no TDs for the Rams last year. The position doesn't warrant millions to be spent and to me it is as simple as that.
jta1975

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:My assumption is Marecik is Player A.

I still scratch my head over that pick guessing money/uncertain FA status was the biggest reason for selecting the kid. And it sure sounds like Vickers was built for the WCO offense, no?

No doubt in my mind that if Vickers was available to Shurmur this year in the draft that he would have taken him...I get the money aspect of the decision but that is all it is about in my opinion if they don't resign him.
jta1975

Unread postby hiko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

If I recall, Vickers was well-suited for a WCO coming out of college. But I think he re-shaped himself into a power FB during his NFL years, and his receiving skills (and a little speed) suffered accordingly. Saw him drop too many easy passes that could've been big plays in the last 2 years... not trying to say that I wouldn't want him back (I do), just that he's not the same player at all now that he was coming out of college.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 pm

hiko wrote:If I recall, Vickers was well-suited for a WCO coming out of college. But I think he re-shaped himself into a power FB during his NFL years, and his receiving skills (and a little speed) suffered accordingly. Saw him drop too many easy passes that could've been big plays in the last 2 years... not trying to say that I wouldn't want him back (I do), just that he's not the same player at all now that he was coming out of college.

A lot of that ability is instinctive/God-given though. You can't teach hands though you can do enough to make bad hands mediocre.

If Vickers was given the opportunity to cut a bit of size/weight and knocked the rust off the hands I think he'd be fine if not better. Now, what that costs I believe is the issue.

I know everyone loves Hillis but in truth I see Hillis as that WCO fullback, albeit a deadlier version and a guy who can give you quality carries at RB as well. Interesting to see how Hardesty's knees are. Because Hardesty can catch the ball and if you line up Hardesty and Hillis in the backfield with Moore/Cameron, Watson and Curly & Moe at WR you're still in pretty good shape.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL