Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Kiper is an idiot

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Kiper is an idiot

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:31 am

Just read his draft grades. It is an ESPN insider article, so sorry no link, but here is the breakdown:

No "A"'s
A lot of "B"'s
A lot of "C"'s
Nothing worse.

What is the point?

The Browns did receive one of the few B+, the highest grade awarded.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 am

I love the draft, don't get me wrong. But trading next year's #1 pick is a damn big risk.
That probably factored in.
Jaws said yesterday the Browns had the best draft, and he was right.

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:43 am

Nothing worse than a "C"? So every team drafted above average. I guess that means no teams will have losing records in a few years.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:48 am

jfiling wrote:Nothing worse than a "C"? So every team drafted above average. I guess that means no teams will have losing records in a few years.

I doubt thats what he meant, he is prolly grading on how teams filled their needs with prospects where and when. Everyone including Mel realizes this doesnt always pan out.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:56 am

I still don't understand why anyone is fretting over losing next year's #1. Sure, it sucks to now have a #1 pick next year. But, the 2008 #1 was used THIS year to get Brady Quinn. Brady is our 2008 #1 pick, just we got him a year early.

The net result after the Quinn/Wright trades is all the Browns lost is a 3rd and 4th round pick in 2007 when trading up to geet Quinn.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:58 am

Consigliere wrote:I still don't understand why anyone is fretting over losing next year's #1. Sure, it sucks to now have a #1 pick next year. But, the 2008 #1 was used THIS year to get Brady Quinn. Brady is our 2008 #1 pick, just we got him a year early.

The net result after the Quinn/Wright trades is all the Browns lost is a 3rd and 4th round pick in 2007 when trading up to geet Quinn.

Exactly T, thats hitting the nail on the head. Pulling off that deal after what Denver gave up to move 4 spots was an absolute STEAL! Thats how this trade should be viewed. Well said.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:37 am

There is a downside to every move and that's the way I look at it.
If Quinn doesn't start week 1 then I will question the trade a lot more as we will be looking at 4-12.
Again, it was a great draft and in the long run it will benefit us.

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:43 am

Shouldn't every draft be labelled a "C" for 2 - 3 years?

Just sayin'.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:49 am

I was a little upset at first, but savage's interview on espn made me feel alot better, plus factor in what peter king said, my selling points:

Quinn with a year under his belt is better than any option next year.

Paying the 22nd pick in the draft is better than paying for a top pick qb

also savage said that he doesnt see us picking high in the draft like everyone expects...Bold statement by our GM on national TV.

Also come on love him or hate him Quinn in the Kosar Jersey, my brothers and I had the same outfit. Things are looking good for a change, I think we picked three starters this weekend, How many teams can say that?
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:54 am

Just sayin'.

I agree. That is why I made the what's the point comment. If you are going to grade it today, grade it based on how you think things will turn out. If you are going to pretty much say everyone did OK, then you really just wasted time.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:10 am

Pup wrote:

Just sayin'.

I agree. That is why I made the what's the point comment. If you are going to grade it today, grade it based on how you think things will turn out. If you are going to pretty much say everyone did OK, then you really just wasted time.

Valid points, but IF you are grading a draft TODAY......It has to be how teams filled needs with prospects in which rounds.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Kiper is a punk bitch. Ever since the Manning/Leaf thing he has hedged every bet. Giving an A or an E could make him look dumb in 2 years and I think he is such a punk that he is afraid of that.

I will do it for him.

Browns A
Dolphins E.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Feel better?

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:52 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2854030

The long wait may have been tough for Quinn, but it helped the Cleveland Browns emerge as this year's draft valedictorian. Thanks to a couple of 'A+' marks offsetting Mel Kiper's turn as the Russian judge, the Browns registered a perfect 4.0.
jb

Unread postby BruceK » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:21 pm

Everybody gets an I

We haven't played any games yet.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:41 pm

I've gotta agree with Furls. Kiper's increased visibility and the dreaded tapes of comments like when Leaf was drafted has turned this guy into a fence sitter over the last half decade.

He's afraid he will lose street cred with a couple more high profile misses, and not get any credit or replayed tapes in future years on the guys he was right on.

Which is exactly how that works.

Still, grow a set and tell us what you really think. I'd have alot more respect for him, even with some big misses. Hes totally been pussified the last couple years.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue May 01, 2007 9:32 am

Here is a thing to think about next years pick. If the Browns did have a high pick next year, would it be fair to guess they would have gone with a QB? Well, lets say they did go with a QB. That QB wouldn't be able to start until 2009. Instead, we have a guy that can start in 2008. And by 2009, he will already have a year of experience.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Wolfy » Tue May 01, 2007 1:26 pm

Swerb wrote:I've gotta agree with Furls. Kiper's increased visibility and the dreaded tapes of comments like when Leaf was drafted has turned this guy into a fence sitter over the last half decade.

He's afraid he will lose street cred with a couple more high profile misses, and not get any credit or replayed tapes in future years on the guys he was right on.

Which is exactly how that works.

Still, grow a set and tell us what you really think. I'd have alot more respect for him, even with some big misses. Hes totally been pussified the last couple years.

I couldn’t agree more, he never makes a concrete statement as to how these teams are doing in the draft and I think Keyshauwn was going to pimp slap him a couple of times. The only thing he is good for is a barometer on when (within 25 picks) the players should go off the board…which is still pretty good IMO. But I have lost a lot of respect for that dude. I watched almost the entire draft thanks to the help of one of the greatest inventions next to the light bulb…Tivo…This thing has changed my life in the most positive way and I would recommend EVERYONE get one. If not, you’re LOSS. Is it just me, or is it hard to imagine Jaws ever suited up for and NFL franchise? He looks like Mr. Potato Head. Great film breakdown though...Reminds me of the other night, anybody see Sir Charles get blindfolded on TNT and pick the correct Crispy Cream Donut? HILARIOUS!
Wolfy

Unread postby happybluebird » Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 pm

Wolfy wrote:Is it just me, or is it hard to imagine Jaws ever suited up for and NFL franchise? He looks like Mr. Potato Head.

Image OMG! Too Funny!
happybluebird

Unread postby jb » Tue May 01, 2007 4:22 pm

happybluebird wrote:
Wolfy wrote:Is it just me, or is it hard to imagine Jaws ever suited up for and NFL franchise? He looks like Mr. Potato Head.

Image OMG! Too Funny!

Agree it's funny, but Jaws could ball.

Those Vermiel Jaws/Montgomery/Carmichael teams were very tough.
jb

Unread postby Wolfy » Tue May 01, 2007 4:27 pm

I agree, he could ball...which makes my point even stronger...Mr. Potato Head. It is amazing what can happen with age and a couple (thousand) Crispy Cream's. Anyone see Barkley?
Wolfy

Unread postby jb » Tue May 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Wolfy wrote:I agree, he could ball...which makes my point even stronger...Mr. Potato Head. It is amazing what can happen with age and a couple (thousand) Crispy Cream's. Anyone see Barkley?

Shit holmes, I look in the mirror every damn day!
jb

Unread postby yogi » Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 am

Agree it's funny, but Jaws could ball.

For you younger guys, yes he could.

Except when Lawrence Taylor (the original LT) was on the field.

Then Jaws would pull a "little Vito" and shit his pants!
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL