Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Impressed with the draft, but...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Impressed with the draft, but...

Unread postby No Mistake » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:23 pm

I am overall ecstatic about the draft for the Browns. Thomas was a great pick and I will have to learn to like Brady Quinn, but I think that picking up Bush or especially Pittman in the 4th round today would have been almost more beneficial than having Wright. I know how good this guy can be, but us not having a good two back system hurts. Pittman could have been a great back, I think maybe a bit more valuable than Wright will be. Any thoughts???
Hunting Trip, Gainesville, Summer 2007: Anyone know of any good Gator bait?
No Mistake

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Well, last year we were picking people off the street, possibly at random (that's the only way to explain Ralph Brown), and they were seeing playing time that Sunday.

So there was at least some need at cornerback.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby Kuiper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 pm

It may be that they feel Jason Wright and Jerome Harrison can mix it up with Lewis and be effective. Wright had some flashes of success last year and Harrison looked pretty good in the preseason. It may be that the FO feels Carthon didn't know how to use Harrison and he can be an effective change of pace back for Lewis.

Frankly, we've picked up a lot of backs in the last few years in middle rounds, especially backs like Suggs, Prentice, and the kid from Miami, who have been ineffective. I doubt we lost out on much.
Kuiper

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Well, we knew we would still emerge with this draft with some holes. Clearly, running back is the one spot that the Browns failed to address, and does still concern me greatly.

Jamal Lewis is a one and done here in CTown. Almost assuredly. And you have absolutely nothing behind him here this season, a scary proposition given Lewis's struggles the last two years. 8 Ball has averaged 3.4 and 3.6 YPC the last two seasons, and had just 3 carries of 20+ yards each season.

And right now ... he's all we got. I have little to no confidence in Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright, and questions whether either even warrants a spot on a NFL roster.

I've liked this off-season. Loved the draft. The one move I hated was sending Droughns to NYG for this eras Renaldo Nehiamiah.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:38 pm

I think part of the reason for Jamal's poor performance the last couple years was the fact that the Rat's offensive line was as bad as ours. Especially last year. Our line should be greatly improved this year, so Jamal should find some more holes to run through, which will hopefully improve his performance in turn.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Is there any RB's in danger of being a June 1st cap cut? Or maybe they see how 8ball does and extend his deal around week 8?
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:32 pm

RB's are easier to find then quality QB's.

Especially when you put in place a quality offensive line.

Took a look around the league the past few years and you can see how many good to great teams have had changes at the RB position b/c they have good lines, without any or much drop off in RB production or overall team success.

Indy is a good example. They lose EJ, who just had a very good season for them (was quite an impact that year) and his replacement picks up where he left off and they stay as good on offense. I don't think Addai/Rhodes types are that hard to come by.

The Steelers are another prime example of plug n play type RB's when a solid oline is in place, Denver too.

I am confident JLewis can do well for us but if he doesn't (and it isn't the Oline's fault) I am also confident we can find a RB in the next draft or in the off season through FA or trade.

Contrary to what many of our memories will tell us, back in the Kosar days we didn't have that great of production from any one back in any one season when you look at the numbers (with exception of 1985 of course).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:15 pm

I still like Harrison and look forward to seeing more of him this year. He neve got much of a chance to show us anything during the regular season - not so bad since the OL sucked again.

I'd like to see one more RB in camp to fight for time, though I think Harrison can make a nice change of pace back with Lewis. I think Jamal will be looking to prove he's still got it and that could mean a big season if he is healthy. He's playing for a big signing bonus next year, a good motivator for him.

We'll figure out next year's RB issue when we get to it. There will be players available in trade, there'll be free agents (Turner might be there if he only signs a one year deal). If the line works out well then it'll be easier to find a guy. It's a lot easier to get yardage when you've got good blockers.

I think Chris Brown is still out there now and might be a good signing for depth and for the future. He's had some injury questions in the past, but he can also do well behind good blockers when healthy.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:45 pm

Maybe they'll make that Larry Johnson trade. :twisted:

Seriously though, what is out there in FA?

I am sure that between now and the end pf camp/preseason, there will be a handful of backs worth picking up as a 2nd option to Jamal. I'm not worried provided he stays healthy.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby BadBecks » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:12 am

I wasn't as worried about RB as I was in making sure we addressed QB and/or CB.

The reason is partially due to the fact that Jamal Lewis is the type back who can carry it 25 or 30 times a game and seems to get better as the game moves on. With our improved line, I can see him being a huge asset in the 4th qtr this season.

However next offseason RB will likely be our #1 priority.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Kuiper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:22 am

According to a post by T-Dog on OBR, we did quickly sign a couple of creditable undrafted RBs - Moss from Miami and the top runner at BYU. Sounds at the very least like the Browns agree that we need some competition at RB for training camp.
Kuiper

Unread postby No Mistake » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:45 am

According to a post by T-Dog on OBR, we did quickly sign a couple of creditable undrafted RBs - Moss from Miami and the top runner at BYU.

Is there a place you can go to see which undrafted players got signed??
Hunting Trip, Gainesville, Summer 2007: Anyone know of any good Gator bait?
No Mistake

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:00 am

You know, our corners were bad when baxter & bodden got hurt. I mean hellibad. We got beart short, we got beat deep. We gave Pbgh the game here; and I mean handed it to them. Between out inability to run when needed, BE & Charlie's mistakes, and our passing D that folded the very second we strated to stiffin vs the run, we had no real chance to win games last season. We just didn't.

So we go balls to the wall and we end up with Eazy and Bodden as starters, and Eazy is gonna have to play throug his rookie mistakes. We have Kenny and Holly where they should be, as depth, and Minter and MacDonald into compete. IOW, I think we have the corner situation "fixed" (knock on wood). Pair them w/ our safeties & with reasonable health we should have a very good cover 2 group on paper. Not saying we have the lock down cover corner, but I think that is nearly an extinct species in this era.

And I wouldn't write off JaLew as a one year deal. Why would you? Why assume the grass will be greener eslewhere? We have cap spoace, the OL situation went from patheric to possibly amazing if LcB ever returns and we can avoid major injury, and we landed the probably long-term solution at QB. BE and KW2 will be the major question marks.

So we solidified our croners, we have the OL almost done, and the future is an open book for JaLew. I can live with nottaking any specific day 2 player.

In fact, we're gonna need major D Line work asap. We may not see "that guy" as RB for 2 - 3 seasons. If JaLew is healthy and motivated and can give us 250 carries a season, he can be the guy. Wright may be OK as the guy who spells him.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:06 am

I hate to say this, but what if we send Miami a low round pick for Ricky Williams then they in turn use it to aquire Trent Green? If its a low-risk I may be able to handle that.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Kuiper » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:25 am

No Mistake wrote:
According to a post by T-Dog on OBR, we did quickly sign a couple of creditable undrafted RBs - Moss from Miami and the top runner at BYU.

Is there a place you can go to see which undrafted players got signed??

All of the signings are unofficial. There is a thread on the Browns Scout site (OBR) with unconfirmed signings, mostly accumulated from local papers reporting on where some of their soon-to-be alums are going.
Kuiper

Unread postby dragonmeister » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:25 am

Ricky Williams

I wanted him on the team from the beginning . . . now I want him so he can autograph bags of free marijuana for the fans! :lol:
dragonmeister

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 am

dragonmeister wrote:
Ricky Williams

I wanted him on the team from the beginning . . . now I want him so he can autograph bags of free marijuana for the fans! :lol:

:lol:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:27 pm

dragonmeister wrote:
Ricky Williams

Wow - the Browns have certainly improved their promotions.

As far as Eric Wright is concerned, he's a first round talent that could be a good starter. Bush might be good down the line if he recovers fully, and Pittman will be a good backup. Neither really has the potential at their position that Wright has at his.

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 pm

I'd trade a mid-rounder for tie stick Ricky in a heartbeat. You pair up 8 ball and Method Man and you have one bad asssed backfield if they can stay a lick a clean.
jb

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:48 pm

JB wrote:I'd trade a mid-rounder for tie stick Ricky in a heartbeat. You pair up 8 ball and Method Man and you have one bad asssed backfield if they can stay a lick a clean.

I like it.

We can get Snoop Dogg to be the RB coach. Keith Richards as film coordinator. Get Kate Moss to head up the PR department.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Tue May 01, 2007 9:23 am

Swerb wrote:
JB wrote:I'd trade a mid-rounder for tie stick Ricky in a heartbeat. You pair up 8 ball and Method Man and you have one bad asssed backfield if they can stay a lick a clean.

I like it.

We can get Snoop Dogg to be the RB coach. Keith Richards as film coordinator. Get Kate Moss to head up the PR department.

I'm thinkin' K8 should be Strength & Conditioning coach. Courtney Love is more adept at PR.

But seriously, having those 2 as a 1 - 2 punch for a young QB behind a real OL?

Carumba.
jb

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 01, 2007 9:29 am

Id take a chance on it for a low-round pick. If he gets reinstated maybe he gets cut.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Wolfy » Wed May 02, 2007 2:04 pm

I would love Sticky Ricky in a Browns uniform...are you kidding me? I would love to see this!
Wolfy

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL