Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Great Stuff by Benz

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Great Stuff by Benz

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:46 pm

It seemed a little odd, initially, that Savage would use yesterday’s press conference as a bit of a bully pulpit in order to defend Russell and criticize the draft process that dwells more on negatives than positives as draft day approaches, but in the end it really said more about Savage. There was absolutely no economic incentive or advantage for Savage to talk up Russell yesterday. Certainly the Oakland Raiders general partner Al Davis wasn’t looking for and didn’t need validation from Savage or anyone else. But by coming to defense of Russell, Savage demonstrated a kind of character and courage that enabled him to make the decisions he made yesterday, even at the risk of his own professional life.

In a business filled with slick talkers and snake-oil salesman (see Davis, Butch), Phil is open, honest, and real. He's almost a nun in a whorehouse. I've always had respect for him as a talent evaluator. My respect for him as a human being went through the roof yesterday evening. Great job by Benz in highlighting this insight into the character of our GM.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:17 pm

from an ESPN report this morning, via an interview with Quinn:

from quinn's own mouth, Savage told him that he was NOT going to be the Browns pick. He was unsure if this was a ruse or not, but he was warned by Phil not to be expecting the Browns to pick him. That also says a lot about Savage, he thought enough of the local boy to try to "let him down easy," but to anyone watching Quinn did not go down so easy. He was obviously disappointed.

When I saw the disappointment on his face it was truly the first time that I wanted to see him as a Cleveland Brown. I always felt he was a bit to "Hollywood" until then.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:51 am

Perhaps the honesty and integrity shown by Phil is something that is being infused into all levels of the organization. If so it may well become a selling point for Free agents to select Cleveland as a place to go to play and hopefully win games.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL