Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Quinn: what is the game plan, when "should" he see

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Quinn: what is the game plan, when "should" he see

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:56 am

We are some finicky fans in CTown and perpetually impatient as well.

So do you want Quinn behind center in game 1, do you want him playing as soon as Frye/Anderson fuck up or get injured, do you want him sitting a few games, do you want him sitting a year?

Or are you like me and want him sitting a as close to a year as possible but ONLY to be mentored by a real veteran QB, NOT what we have on our roster right now?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:05 am

I think of Quinn differently than I would other young QBs. He's been in a pro-style offense for two years. I agree with Weis, who said that he's the most NFL-ready QB we've seen in a while. Even in the NFL, I think he'll be able to read the defense quite well to start out. He played behind a shaky OL at ND and this one looks to be much better.

I believe we must have an open competition between Frye, Anderson, and Quinn in the preseason with the winner starting. My gut says that Quinn is perfectly capable of starting now. I would have been far more leery about it had we not taken Thomas at 3, but that pick made our line look pretty good on paper. Reality is another thing, but I think we'll see the best Browns OL since the early 90s. There are weapons on offense. If Lewis is recovered from his prior injuries then he should provide plenty of help to the running attack.

I think Quinn will win the starting job, the offense will be much more productive, and the defense will also be much improved just because the offense will hold onto the ball more.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby diminishingskills » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:06 am

So do you want Quinn behind center in game 1, do you want him playing as soon as Frye/Anderson fuck up or get injured

Quick writing point, Donny: you should avoid repetition whenever possible.

Or are you like me and want him sitting a as close to a year as possible but ONLY to be mentored by a real veteran QB, NOT what we have on our roster right now?

The key as you say is that he would need to be mentored by a real veteran QB. I'm not sure what he is going to learn carrying a clipboard and watching Charlie Frye for a season (other than "Brady, see what Charlie just did ... DON'T do that").

The next bit of interesting fallout from drafting Quinn is: what do the Browns do with their other QBs? Frye and Anderson are still both developmental type guys, although obviously they both just lost almost all chance to be The Man for the Browns in the future. I can't imagine God ... er, Phil wants to enter the season with three rookies or near-rookies at the most critical position. So maybe we end up seeing one of Frye/Anderson being dealt (probably for a low/conditional pick), and a veteran fluffer brought in to wet nurse the position until Brady is ready.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby yogi » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:07 am

Let him compete and let's see where it all shakes out.

Whoever can run the O the best should get the keys.

If Brady does NOT win the job, he sits and learns. If the season is lost around Game 12 or so , then give him a couple of starts so he has film of his play for the off-season.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:09 am

"All I know is Brady. I don't know the Browns' other quarterbacks, so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on them. But with all that having been said, I don't think this is a guy who's going to have to sit a year and be groomed. If you're looking for somebody who's ready to go walking in the door of an NFL team, he's the guy. He got hammered the last two years by me, so he can handle anything."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=6747
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby yogi » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:22 am

nice story on BQ and Weiss.

I'm pumped!
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:29 am

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever in my mind not to make Quinn the starter from day one.

Sure ... you go into camp and annoint it "an open competition".

But Quinn is light years ahead of Frye from a pedigree, arm strength, and football IQ perspective. We've seen all we need to see from Charlie, to the tune of 10 TD and 17 INT last season. The weak arm, the poor decision making, the happy feet and tuck the ball panic every time hes under siege.

Theres nothing more to see.

You hope Charlie stays focused and hungry and develops into a solid backup. Thats the role hes best suited for in this league.

But his starting days should be over. Why delay the inevitable?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:34 am

No matter how "ready" Brady is advertised to be I am apprehensive about throwing him out there from day 1 for a few reasons.

One being the mental roller coaster that he will be facing with all the pressure of being the new face of a franchise, if he has early failures that could translate to early confidence problems, I would like to avoid that.

Another reason is b/c of how inviting it would be for opposing DC's to just go after him, and with our line not being at their best early in the year (b/c it won't be) that could spell trouble as well.

I say have an open competition between all QB's on the roster and make it clear to Brady that he is in fact fighting to be the true 2nd string back up to start the season.

Let the season gain some steam and if our OL looks good and the running game is at least solid then and only then toy with the idea of putting Brady in at some point if the other guys are playing poorly.

Why delay the inevitable?

With the hopes of protecting your new franchise QB and getting him as ready as he possibly can be for the challenge ahead of him.

Let me ask this, with the draft we had yesterday and Charlie/Derek starting all 16 games how many wins would you expect?

Now put Brady as the starter for all 16 games and how many wins would you expect?

IMO if your total for either scenario is 8 or less then what is the point of throwing Brady out there too soon?

Now if you happen to think we can win 9+ and via for a playoff spot with Brady at the helm then I get what you're saying, but I would also think you're a bit drunk still. At least considering it is still April and we don't know what we have as a team yet.
Last edited by FUDU on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

FUDU

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:36 am

Honestly Swerb, I think Anderson might serve as a better backup than Frye. He's better at going through his progressions and getting rid of the ball. I could see us dealing Frye at some point, especially if a veteran backup becomes available.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:05 pm

I say make Anderson the backup, trade Frye, cut Dorsey, and sign Gary Danielson to be the starting QB.

Of course, I don't live in the real world.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:20 pm

FUDU wrote:Let me ask this, with the draft we had yesterday and Charlie/Derek starting all 16 games how many wins would you expect?

5-6, maybe up to 7.

Now put Brady as the starter for all 16 games and how many wins would you expect?

9 or more. I think he's so much better than anything we have right now. He's been under pressure. He's been behind bad offensive lines.

Now if you happen to think we can win 9+ and via for a playoff spot with Brady at the helm then I get what you're saying, but I would also think you're a bit drunk still. At least considering it is still April and we don't know what we have as a team yet.

Not really. It all depends on how things work out. If the OL is as good as I think it can be and Lewis is healthy then this offense is vastly improved. Frye or Anderson likely wouldn't be able to put it together as well as Quinn.

I understand the trepidation at throwing him in, but he's different from Tim Couch and others. There's an OL in front of him. There's some talent at the skill positions. He's been running a pro offense for two years already. He's already farther along than any QB on the roster. If he sits then Crennel and Savage might as well hand in their resignations because they're done. Their future hinges on Quinn this season.

I see no reason to wait. Quinn is the most NFL-ready QB we've seen since Peyton Manning.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:13 pm

The Browns need to release Charlie Frye as soon as possible so he can land on his feet. He should be done here in Cleveland and keeping him here will just cause him to be mistreated by the fans. So for his sake, I hope the Browns let him go.

I am not saying that the Browns should give Quinn the job, but I think he should compete with DA. Even if Frye wins the job legitametly he will be a victim of the fans immediately, unless of course he plays like Steve Young (I almost typed that without laughing).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby yogi » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Prisco is really high on BQ

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10155503

Not surprisingly, he gave us some nice draft grades.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10155211
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:40 pm

I agree 100% with the notion that Charlie will never succeed in the fans eyes so moving while we can might be best for us and him. Saying that then let DA and Quinn fight it out, but I would still like to see Brady learn from somebody respectable if possible.

If my choices are these:

A) Browns have no intentions of bringing in a legit vet to mentor Brady and he will have to possibly sit and learn from Frye or Anderson.

B) Brady plays from day one.

Then I would agree (B) let Brady play from day one. No sense in letting him learn from guys who cannot teach or have nothing to teach.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:23 pm

DU - awsome meeting you dude. Myt voice is gone today from arguing with you all day.

Like we said to each other on Saturday, anything the 2 of us actually agree on has to be true. They can NOT ruin this kid. BQ shouldn't even be activated or the 1st 8 or so games. I don't want to see him near the field. I don't care what he or others think he is ready to do. The NFL game is night and day from college ball, and he needs thge time to absorb it all.

But then I alo have this thought. If he wins th position, if he outplays Frye and DA in X season and is showing in practice he is as far ahead of them as Swerb states, how do you not play him? Best guys gotta start.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm calling for Quinn to be the starter after the bye week. That means game 7.

Also, I think you have to dump Charlie. Not sure I want any QB soap operas on this team with players or the fans.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:18 pm

DU - awsome meeting you dude. Myt voice is gone today from arguing with you all day.

Right back at ya.

Always good to put a face with a user name and POV, no matter how much it differs from your mental image of somebody. ;-)

Like we said to each other on Saturday, anything the 2 of us actually agree on has to be true.

Odds are.

Although we really didn't disagree on a whole lot, believe me I was racking my brain trying to come up with something just to throw out there for the sake of disagreeing with you.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Yah know, the other thing is the schedule. It starts off as a bitch and we have a roookie OLT. Let Frye & DA take the beat down.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL