Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns Trade Up For CB Eric Wright, UNLV

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns Trade Up For CB Eric Wright, UNLV

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:41 pm

Not a bad move, character issues aside he could have been a top 15 guy. I love how agressive Phil's being!
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 pm

It is almost like he is drafting like his job depended on it.... wonder if he is a bit concerned about his future if the team sucks ass again next year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:50 pm

I like the pick too. At this point we can't afford to be scared off by character issues, we just need guys that can play. On paper we have gone 3 for 3 in finding immediate (or at least close to it) starters.

I am a little scared that we gave up our 3rd AND 4th to get Wright though.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Thomas, Quinn, Wright, ...........it's as if the lightbulb was turned on.

OH-IO !
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:56 pm

It's E-Z-Mother-######-E.

Three top 15 talents in the first day - gotta love it. Its a beautiful day here in Cleveland.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:17 pm

Absolutely love this pick.

Three top 15 talents. Three new starters. At three positions some may consider key: QB, LT, CB.

I love you Phil.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Swerb wrote:Absolutely love this pick.

Three top 15 talents. Three new starters. At three positions some may consider key: QB, LT, CB.

I love you Phil.

I agree, trade the rest of the picks for Turner and call it a weekend!!!!
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:28 pm

I like the Wright pick too. Several accounts that I have read elsewhere say that he has been clean for two years, and has made a real effort to turn things in the right direction. I'm sure Phil checked his background very closely. There's no question Wright is a top 15 talent, and was thought by some to be the best CB in the draft, period.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:53 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:51 pm

Phil has several men today who want to bear his children. An absolutely unreal draft. We said it at Panini's when Quinn got by Miami, trade up and take the gamble and get him! And, not only does Phil gamble once in getting Quinn....but gambles again on Wright.

The only thing I would love now, is to somehow get back into the top of the 4th round and take Pittman/Bush.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:53 pm

When we traded up to get Quinn, my only regret was that it meant we wouldn't be getting Wright.

And we got him anyway.

This is like the Twilight Zone.

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:05 pm

I am a little scared that we gave up our 3rd AND 4th to get Wright though.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about our 3rd pick holding out like Wilson last year. Can anyone name a 4th rd pick that has done anything for this team since it came back ? Hell, Lee Suggs couldn't even pass a physical so we could get a 5th string DB.

I'm all for the trades. Just surprised that JJ and the Cowboys traded twice with us. Phil have some naked pictures of JJ and a young lady ?
Isn't it time something good happens in this town ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Hiko wrote:When we traded up to get Quinn, my only regret was that it meant we wouldn't be getting Wright.

And we got him anyway.

This is like the Twilight Zone.

I thought the EXACT same thing. I'm ecstatic about this draft. I think far and away we've had the best draft. 3 top 15 talents on the first day? And we started the day with only one first round draft pick. I don't think it could have gone any better for us, unless of course we didn't have to give up a first round pick next year. Get that DT that can do flips, and I'll drive up to Berea and let Phil impregnate me now.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby BadBecks » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 am

I have no problem with giving up picks for these guys today b/c all three are potential/likely starters this season. Nobody can argue with that logic. I give day 1 an A. I can't ever remember giving the Browns that kind of grade ever.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:45 am

Consigliere wrote:Phil has several men today who want to bear his children. An absolutely unreal draft. We said it at Panini's when Quinn got by Miami, trade up and take the gamble and get him! And, not only does Phil gamble once in getting Quinn....but gambles again on Wright.

The only thing I would love now, is to somehow get back into the top of the 4th round and take Pittman/Bush.

Gutsy and great draft. I've been out until now and thought that we'd miss out on Wright. Seeing that we got him instantly made me crack a smile.

The Browns drafted three guys who could conceivably start this year on day one. They addresses three needs. They had the best draft of anyone - and it doesn't even look close to me.

If they could get into the fourth and get Bush, I'd probably jump high enough to dunk on a regulation hoop.

All of a sudden it appears that we have a complete O-Line. We suddenly have a guy who looks to be an NFL ready QB who can handle the pro offense out of the box. Wright could end up as the best CB of this draft.

I cannot remember ever being this pumped over a Browns draft before.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:52 am

Before someone insightful accuses me of being a Buckeye homer....

I would like to see the Browns find their way into the 4th to get Pittman over Bush. Pittman would be a better "change of pace" with Lewis. Bush is more of a Lewis clone, although it is likely that the two would never share the field.

Lewis only has a one year deal and it is not likely that Bush will play (at least to any great extent) next year because he just had a second surgery to insert a longer rod into that broken leg.

That is not going to be a short rehab, and when coupled with the fact that he has not played over a year means a much longer rehab. It will take him some very serious (and a long time) to get back into playing shape. I am sure he is not sitting on the coach eating bon-bons, but I am equally sure that he has not squatted 600lbs on that leg any time recently.

Pittman has been underestimated at every point in his career and has exceeded expectations. He is a hard worker who does all aspects of his job well.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:14 am

Man, being able to move up to get one of those backs would really finish this draft off right. It's going to be hard to do though. We have no 4th. Our 6th is now 22nd instead of 3rd. And we already gave up next years #1, so the team will be leery to deal any more '08 picks.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:31 am

Not to get too greedy, but the defensive line could sure use a couple picks today.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 am

If the Browns come away today with a good change of pace back today, and two defensive lineman I'll be very happy. Could we trade a player and a pick this year to move up some?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Crash Davis » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:42 am

Pittman would be nice but he might not be around at 140. If not look them to take Garrett Wolfe out of Northern Illinois either in rd 5 or 6.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 am

Furls, I agree on Pittman but he's gone to New Orleans.

Crash, Wolfe went in the third round.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Eric Wright

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:52 am

"I'm the Dope Man yeah-boy wear corduroy
Money up to here but unemployed.."

Sweet.

But I guess that means Baxter is really done. There have been some murmurings that he was on the way back. Maybe '08?
rawdawgexpress

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL