Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm going to need a longer list than that dude.

I can't think of a single cucumber refernce in the entirety of Arrested Development, Fletch, Super Troopers, or any of the Coen Brother's movies.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:Colt had a training camp? Oh, you mean the one last year, when they wouldn't get him a playbook and he didn't get meaningful snaps till the 4th game?

Yeah, bet that helped.

P.S. This debate isn't going to quit this year as long as Colt puts up the numbers he is. Just enough competence in a rookie season to a) merit the whole season as looks, b) put up respectable end of the year numbers (20-13 td/int,a shitwack of yards, and at least 2 come from behind victories) and c) spark 6 months of SD shrieking about which QB we're taking in the first round.

I can't wait.

(to suck start a shotgun)


SD:

Shurmur says and I quote

"""Colt has to play better """"

No collective We have to play better , or the team has to play better , ..

Simply put , Shurmur has both drawn a line in the sand and pointed a bulls eye square on a guy he didn't pick , and in essence clearly is showing you , he really doesn't give a shit about little Colt .

What Coach does that who doesn't want his own guy in there while simultaneously distancing himself from the failure of Holmgrens Pet project while telling Heckert to get off his ass and start scouting QB's.


Since your the expert , you tell me , was that an accident , was that protocol , or can we just laugh it off as a Freudian slip.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:18 pm

twithersAP Tom Withers
Holmgren not opposed to changing QBs every year "until you find the man. You have to find that person."
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22633
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:05 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'm going to need a longer list than that dude.



SD:

Sounds like a personal problem .

Not my department , not my problem .

Suggest you put out a dear Abby request or whatever you girls do about such thangs.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:10 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I'm going to need a longer list than that dude.



SD:

Sounds like a personal problem .

Not my department , not my problem .

Suggest you put out a dear Abby request or whatever you girls do about such thangs.


SoulDawg



http://instantrimshot.com/
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:10 pm

jta1975 wrote:It doesn't hurt to keep track of the talent at such a critical position. Here is Kiper's list going into the season. If Colt lays an egg we will have to learn these names, plus keep an eye on Barkley from USC.


Andrew Luck Stanford
6-4
236 lbs
245 completions
349 attempts
3,051 yards
28 tds
7 ints

Nick Foles Arizona
6-5
245 lbs
286 completions
426 attempts
3,191 yards
20 tds
10 ints

Kirk Cousins Mich St.
6-3
202 lbs
226 completions
338 attempts
2,825 yards
20 tds
10 ints

Brandon Weeden Oklahoma St.
6-4
224 lbs
342 completions
511 attempts
4,277 yards
34 tds
13 ints

Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
6-4
219 lbs
152 completions
234 attempts
1,638 yards
13 tds
6 ints


SD:

When you get the chance , give us a revised list with your ratings .

It might even be Column worthy , provided you an get Brians approval... :)


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jta1975 wrote:It doesn't hurt to keep track of the talent at such a critical position. Here is Kiper's list going into the season. If Colt lays an egg we will have to learn these names, plus keep an eye on Barkley from USC.


Andrew Luck Stanford
6-4
236 lbs
245 completions
349 attempts
3,051 yards
28 tds
7 ints

Nick Foles Arizona
6-5
245 lbs
286 completions
426 attempts
3,191 yards
20 tds
10 ints

Kirk Cousins Mich St.
6-3
202 lbs
226 completions
338 attempts
2,825 yards
20 tds
10 ints

Brandon Weeden Oklahoma St.
6-4
224 lbs
342 completions
511 attempts
4,277 yards
34 tds
13 ints

Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
6-4
219 lbs
152 completions
234 attempts
1,638 yards
13 tds
6 ints


SD:

When you get the chance , give us a revised list with your ratings .

It might even be Column worthy , provided you an get Brians approval... :)


SoulDawg


Ha! What he writes I run.

Jason doesn't have much time right now to peruse the boards so I'll mention it to him. He had thoughts of doing exactly what you mentioned for the bye week but life gets in the way sometimes. Maybe he can add it to the weekly columns he writes.

When I saw him a month ago J was already on the RGIII bus. Behind Luck but up there. Can't remember completely how he had four or five of them lined up but I think he was real high on Luck, Landry Jones and RGIII in that order at that time.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22633
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:
Shurmur says and I quote
"""Colt has to play better """"
No collective We have to play better , or the team has to play better , ..
Simply put , Shurmur has both drawn a line in the sand and pointed a bulls eye square on a guy he didn't pick , and in essence clearly is showing you , he really doesn't give a shit about little Colt .


That's reading a lot into that, imo.

Could be just a challenge he thinks the kid can respond to.

How invested can Holmgren be with McCoy? He's never said he's the guy.

While McCoy was MH's pick, it wasn't with a career-defining, cap-busting contract.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:35 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:
Shurmur says and I quote
"""Colt has to play better """"
No collective We have to play better , or the team has to play better , ..
Simply put , Shurmur has both drawn a line in the sand and pointed a bulls eye square on a guy he didn't pick , and in essence clearly is showing you , he really doesn't give a shit about little Colt .


That's reading a lot into that, imo.

Could be just a challenge he thinks the kid can respond to.

How invested can Holmgren be with McCoy? He's never said he's the guy.

While McCoy was MH's pick, it wasn't with a career-defining, cap-busting contract.


I agree with this.

It was late 3rd round. Why not take a shot at the kid? If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Heckgren has deemed the 3rd and 4th round boom-or-bust Round. Not a bad place to take shots. And if you miss, you still won't be as infamous as your personnel predecessors.

I don't buy that Holmgren's as enamored with Colt as General Public does.

But, publicly, he's gotta pretend he is... regardless.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 am

hiko wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:
Shurmur says and I quote
"""Colt has to play better """"
No collective We have to play better , or the team has to play better , ..
Simply put , Shurmur has both drawn a line in the sand and pointed a bulls eye square on a guy he didn't pick , and in essence clearly is showing you , he really doesn't give a shit about little Colt .


That's reading a lot into that, imo.

Could be just a challenge he thinks the kid can respond to.

How invested can Holmgren be with McCoy? He's never said he's the guy.

While McCoy was MH's pick, it wasn't with a career-defining, cap-busting contract.


I agree with this.

It was late 3rd round. Why not take a shot at the kid? If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Heckgren has deemed the 3rd and 4th round boom-or-bust Round. Not a bad place to take shots. And if you miss, you still won't be as infamous as your personnel predecessors.

I don't buy that Holmgren's as enamored with Colt as General Public does.

But, publicly, he's gotta pretend he is... regardless.


SD:

Yeah so did he give Pat the ok to zing the kid with a cattle prod and see if he could pull his head outta his ass , or does Shurmur have the stones to pull that one on his own and do what no coach around here has had the guts to do .

Put bad QB play on the "duh "dumb ass QB whose screwing up .

Long over due and necessary in my book .

As you make no progress without conflict, and confrontation.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 am

peeker643 wrote:
twithersAP Tom Withers
Holmgren not opposed to changing QBs every year "until you find the man. You have to find that person."
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply


SD:

Kudos Brian , that couldn't have been a more timely packet of info


Thanks
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:36 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
hiko wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:
Shurmur says and I quote
"""Colt has to play better """"
No collective We have to play better , or the team has to play better , ..
Simply put , Shurmur has both drawn a line in the sand and pointed a bulls eye square on a guy he didn't pick , and in essence clearly is showing you , he really doesn't give a shit about little Colt .


That's reading a lot into that, imo.

Could be just a challenge he thinks the kid can respond to.

How invested can Holmgren be with McCoy? He's never said he's the guy.

While McCoy was MH's pick, it wasn't with a career-defining, cap-busting contract.


I agree with this.

It was late 3rd round. Why not take a shot at the kid? If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Heckgren has deemed the 3rd and 4th round boom-or-bust Round. Not a bad place to take shots. And if you miss, you still won't be as infamous as your personnel predecessors.

I don't buy that Holmgren's as enamored with Colt as General Public does.

But, publicly, he's gotta pretend he is... regardless.

SD:
Yeah so did he give Pat the ok to zing the kid with a cattle prod and see if he could pull his head outta his ass , or does Shurmur have the stones to pull that one on his own and do what no coach around here has had the guts to do .

Put bad QB play on the "duh "dumb ass QB whose screwing up .

Long over due and necessary in my book .

As you make no progress without conflict, and confrontation.
SoulDawg



http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/ma ... s-1.241287

"Holmgren said he has not seen enough from McCoy to be convinced he’s “the man” and said he would not be opposed to changing quarterbacks every year until he found him."
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Hiko & Pup,
Short version, we are the "6th" worst team in the league. Too early to tell much with Colt or this offensive philosophy. I did see on the screen last week we had like 24 drops already vs. 22 all last year.
Seems we dig a big hole in the first half and pray for a second half miracle.
Defense....gets the "O" the ball in good field position.
Pup, we need more talent. The Hole was/ is deep.
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Hiko & Pup,
Short version, we are the "6th" worst team in the league. Too early to tell much with Colt or this offensive philosophy. I did see on the screen last week we had like 24 drops already vs. 22 all last year.
Seems we dig a big hole in the first half and pray for a second half miracle.
Defense....gets the "O" the ball in good field position.
Pup, we need more talent. The Hole was/ is deep.


6th? Where'd you get that? Arbitrary, don't you think?

The only "ranking" that means anything is draft order. There are 9 teams with worse records, so the best we can hope for is that the Browns are the "10th" worst team (there are 3 other teams at 3-4).

And when people walk into those American Idol tryouts, it becomes obvious pretty quickly if they can sing or not. You don't need to have them sing 30 songs over a 3 year span to make sure.

Colt's got until the end of the season - that's long enough.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:20 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Hiko & Pup,
Short version, we are the "6th" worst team in the league. Too early to tell much with Colt or this offensive philosophy. I did see on the screen last week we had like 24 drops already vs. 22 all last year.
Seems we dig a big hole in the first half and pray for a second half miracle.
Defense....gets the "O" the ball in good field position.
Pup, we need more talent. The Hole was/ is deep.


What difference does it make if we have more drops, if those drops are all dump offs to Montario Hardesty on 3rd and 9 when they were only going to net you 3 yards anyway?

My philosophy is pretty simple. If you need mega-talent surrounding your QB to properly evaluate him, you need a QB.

Seriously, what has Colt done to make anyone think he is the guy? Don't give me excuses about what is around him, name me the times and ways he has done something that made you say...this guy is Rogers/Brady/Brees/Manning/Ben/Vick. Because I am also of the opinion that if you do not currently have one of those guys, your path to a title is dependent on a whole lot of good fortune and a loaded roster around whoever your guy is.

And before someone tries to give the final drive versus Miami as evidence I present you: 7 for 12, 125 yards, 2TD.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:33 pm

pup wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Hiko & Pup,
Short version, we are the "6th" worst team in the league. Too early to tell much with Colt or this offensive philosophy. I did see on the screen last week we had like 24 drops already vs. 22 all last year.
Seems we dig a big hole in the first half and pray for a second half miracle.
Defense....gets the "O" the ball in good field position.
Pup, we need more talent. The Hole was/ is deep.


What difference does it make if we have more drops, if those drops are all dump offs to Montario Hardesty on 3rd and 9 when they were only going to net you 3 yards anyway?

My philosophy is pretty simple. If you need mega-talent surrounding your QB to properly evaluate him, you need a QB.

Seriously, what has Colt done to make anyone think he is the guy? Don't give me excuses about what is around him, name me the times and ways he has done something that made you say...this guy is Rogers/Brady/Brees/Manning/Ben/Vick. Because I am also of the opinion that if you do not currently have one of those guys, your path to a title is dependent on a whole lot of good fortune and a loaded roster around whoever your guy is.

And before someone tries to give the final drive versus Miami as evidence I present you: 7 for 12, 125 yards, 2TD.


Objectively, the Miami drive was legit. Hadn't been down at home since Brian Sipe. Not even Bernie. 'Course, one could argue that the 'Phins are not a real NFL team, and so that wouldn't count either.

Other than that, the kid does pretty well against a soft cover 2 with no pressure. So Colt and about 500 other guys could certainly be the next QB of the Browns, as long as opposing D's agreed to count "5 Mississippi" before rushing.

I like Colt. I really do. He has moxie and toughness and by all accounts is a great, hard-working kid.

Who's just not good enough.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Going forward with Colt as the guy or Not

Unread postby pup » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:57 am

mattvan1 wrote:
pup wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Hiko & Pup,
Short version, we are the "6th" worst team in the league. Too early to tell much with Colt or this offensive philosophy. I did see on the screen last week we had like 24 drops already vs. 22 all last year.
Seems we dig a big hole in the first half and pray for a second half miracle.
Defense....gets the "O" the ball in good field position.
Pup, we need more talent. The Hole was/ is deep.


What difference does it make if we have more drops, if those drops are all dump offs to Montario Hardesty on 3rd and 9 when they were only going to net you 3 yards anyway?

My philosophy is pretty simple. If you need mega-talent surrounding your QB to properly evaluate him, you need a QB.

Seriously, what has Colt done to make anyone think he is the guy? Don't give me excuses about what is around him, name me the times and ways he has done something that made you say...this guy is Rogers/Brady/Brees/Manning/Ben/Vick. Because I am also of the opinion that if you do not currently have one of those guys, your path to a title is dependent on a whole lot of good fortune and a loaded roster around whoever your guy is.

And before someone tries to give the final drive versus Miami as evidence I present you: 7 for 12, 125 yards, 2TD.


Objectively, the Miami drive was legit. Hadn't been down at home since Brian Sipe. Not even Bernie. 'Course, one could argue that the 'Phins are not a real NFL team, and so that wouldn't count either.

Other than that, the kid does pretty well against a soft cover 2 with no pressure. So Colt and about 500 other guys could certainly be the next QB of the Browns, as long as opposing D's agreed to count "5 Mississippi" before rushing.

I like Colt. I really do. He has moxie and toughness and by all accounts is a great, hard-working kid.

Who's just not good enough.


FYI

The stats posted with the Miami comeback were Tim Tebow's final 2 drives versus Miami leading the Broncos back to a non-defeat.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests