Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Buckeyes in Orange Hats?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Buckeyes in Orange Hats?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 am

Wondering how Browns fans feel about this year's crop of Buckeyes, and where they might want to pull the draft day trigger on Buckeye players, if at all.

So, a series of questions...

1. First...assuming Heyward is the first Buckeye taken...he's projected by most everyone to go somewhere between #25 and #40....are you interested in him at #37 in Round 2?....Why or why not?

2. Then predict the next Buckeye off the board, and the round he will/should be taken in (regardless of what team takes him)

3. Which Buckeyes do you think might be able to make the Browns roster if selected, and in what round(s) do you think it would be appropriate to take them?

4. Forget the Browns...which Buckeyes do you think make an NFL roster this fall?

To refresh your memory....available OSU players after Heyward...Homan, Chekwa, Hines, Sanzenbacher, Torrence, Saine, Larimore, Rolle.

My own thought is that all except Heyward are Day Three picks, if drafted at all. My pick for #2 is Lil' Dane, and I think someone will grab him in the 4th round after he ran a 4.48 at Pro Day.

If the Browns haven't drafted a safety by the 6th round, I'd sure love to see Jermale Hines in an orange hat right about there. I think Dane, Rolle, Homan and Chekwa will make someone's roster in addition to Cam. Tell me if I'm smokin' something.

---

Edit: I guess I should back down my statement about Heyward's projection. Not too many mocks have him in the 1st round anymore...and I've seen him dropping to mid-to late-second in several of them...say #30-#55?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Buckeyes in Orange Hats?

Unread postby davidregimbal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:07 am

If the Browns snag a WR in the first round (keeping my fingers crossed for Green), I would be stoked to get Heyward in the second round.

Personally, I think the second most draftable Buckeye behind Heyward is close between Zanzo and Homan. I feel like Homan is underrated, and he answered questions about his strength at the combine.

I wouldn't hate it if the Browns had a chance to get Chekwa in the 6th or 7th round.
davidregimbal

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 am

I still think Heyward is going to be an outstanding pro.

I think Jermale Hines ends up being a starting NFL safety. I thought the same thing about Kurt Coleman who went really late and was starting for Philly by the end of last season.

Sanznebacher and Homan have long if unspectacular NFL careers IMO. Chekwa is talented enough to play at the next level as well.

I know I'm a total homer, but I think some of these day two Buckeyes have a ton of value/upside for where they're being projected to go.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Have always been partial to Hines. Not really sure what it is exactly, but I wouldn't hate to see him in an orange lid.

The opposite is true about Chekwa.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 pm

pup wrote:The opposite is true about Chekwa.

I'm with you all the way on this. I don't think he's an NFL corner at all. He might stick if someone tries to make a safety out of him. Maybe.

I actually think Torrence has a better shot at NFL success.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm

About Cam...

I would like to see him as a Brown, but I think there is a chance they will have to choose between him and Austin at 37. I would take Austin in that scenario.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Wouldnt mind picking Rolle in the 7th as a special teams demon.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:05 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Wouldnt mind picking Rolle in the 7th as a special teams demon.

SD:

How app pro bowl , the seventh we got now is a compensatory pick we got as a gift.

Usually a throwaway , but if Rolle made it the capacity you named that's true value.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:31 pm

swerb wrote:I still think Heyward is going to be an outstanding pro.

I think Jermale Hines ends up being a starting NFL safety. I thought the same thing about Kurt Coleman who went really late and was starting for Philly by the end of last season.

Sanznebacher and Homan have long if unspectacular NFL careers IMO. Chekwa is talented enough to play at the next level as well.

I know I'm a total homer, but I think some of these day two Buckeyes have a ton of value/upside for where they're being projected to go.

IMO the fact we ar talking about these guys in this vein is a HUGE statement about the current talent level in C-bus. Pgm used to be stacked with first & second round picks like cordwood.

This year there will be one second rounder.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:29 pm

jb wrote:
IMO the fact we ar talking about these guys in this vein is a HUGE statement about the current talent level in C-bus. Pgm used to be stacked with first & second round picks like cordwood.

Yeah, I really miss this guy too, Jim.

Image ;-) ;) :wink:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:38 pm

...and here I thought when the talent level decreases the character level increases.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:

Yeah, I really miss this guy too, Jim.

Image ;-) ;) :wink:

Meh, tSV's first few classes put out all the Lbers and there were others.

But at least Cooper ran a clean program. ;-):

I saw these at a mall last weekend and had to laugh

http://www.smackapparel.com/product.aspx?GUID=bfb9c98a-61ad-454b-a37b-af2e786e3319
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:30 am

Well...10 first rounders and 31 total draft picks from his last five teams ain't chopped liver. It didn't all happen in the first half of the decade. That's an average of two 1st rounders a year for the last five years.

How many other schools can say that? Maybe 3 or 4?

I'll buy the basic premise implied above...that the best H.S. players in the country are no longer selecting ANY Big Ten schools. There might be 2 or at the most 3 BT players selected in Rd.1 (Watt for sure...Clayborn, Carimi and Liuget maybe)

In the last 2-4 yrs...when a top 10 (or even top 20)recruit nationally at his position picks a BT school, it's probably to be a Buckeye (Braxton Miller, both Grants this year...an occasional Thomas at MSU or Campbell at UM....point is, it's rare)

With lesser talent across the conference, OSU still dominates it. No argument though, that the Orlando Paces are going elsewhere...unless they're homegrown and loyal.

danwismar

Unread postby gnati » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:02 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:

Meh, tSV's first few classes put out all the Lbers and there were others.

But at least Cooper ran a clean program. ;-):

It's not often I say this - but JB dead nuts nailed it.

Which doesn't mean I miss Coop, but the facts are the facts and the talent level - as measured by NFL draft picks which I think is as solid as any - shows a significant drop off in talent at tOSU. That hasn't manifested itself in worse records in Columbus, the contrary, but that might have as much to do with Michigan sucking, Penn State not being the Penn State of the 90's, changes in recruiting and recruiting service rankings that are independent of Tressel running a dirty fucking program, Tressel running a dirty fucking program, the need for pieces parts and role players in the college game versus assembling an all-star team, etc. as it does with anything.

In the Cooper era this time you were counting how many #1's were going to happen in a given year, lining up next years guys who would turn pro early and go in the 1st and already see an incoming freshman you know had to start or see the field early and be targeted for early leaving...

Which just isn't happening at the same levels.

That being said, I don't particularly care if tOSU is or isn't churning out NFL talent as long as it keeps winning - but I would prefer if the next coach, who can't get here fast enough, didn't run a dirty fucking program.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 pm

http://bit.ly/eRqqJ5

The above link is to a piece out of Ann Arbor about the decline in elite talent in the Big Ten. This will be the third year in a row that no Big Ten player is taken in the top 10 of the NFL Draft, (since Jake Long and Vernon Gholston were taken in 2008) and the numbers for 1st rounders overall are down for the BT.

The other indicator I see of the ongoing decline of the conference's talent base is looking at the rankings of H.S. players by position, and then looking at where they are committing.

Take Phil Steele as one credible source of rankings and information:
http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/02/24/2 ... ing-frosh/

Look at his lists of this year's top talent, and see how few Big Ten commitments you see among elite players...especially non-OSU commitments. Not suprising that, three of four years later, the conference's players still aren't considered elite by NFL people.

danwismar

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:52 pm

I dont know about orange hats, but you wont see many Buckeyes with gold pants. heyoooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!

/shows self out
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL