Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Don't shoot the messenger but I swear I just heard..........

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Don't shoot the messenger but I swear I just heard..........

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:14 pm

.........on the local sports news ESPN reported the Browns have offered the #3 and Braylon Edwards to Oakland for the #1 (JMR).

I'm in.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:18 pm

Me too, this stuff has been building all day. Could just be bs, I'd like to hear where this came from.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby happybluebird » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm watching the Indians game and didn't hear about that yet! (Wedgie got tossed in the FIRST inning!!)

I can't wait for tomorrow!
happybluebird

Re: Don't shoot the messenger but I swear I just heard......

Unread postby sandlot33 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:08 pm

pod2dawg wrote:.........on the local sports news ESPN reported the Browns have offered the #3 and Braylon Edwards to Oakland for the #1 (JMR).

I'm in.

so if we trade up and give them Edwards, I find it hard to believe that we take a QB, who would that leave as WR's...JJ and who??? If we do trade up are they going after johnson or russell??? who knows
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby furls » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:33 pm

If they take BE, the Browns get better immediately.

Addition by subtraction!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm not the biggest BE fan but getting rid of him right now in the year that many quality WR and WR prospects turn the proverbial corner doesn't make much sense. Unless he is a true cancer, which just might be the case, I thought he should get one more year with us to put up or shut up.

Seriously dumping BE to get Russell, who for no rhyme or reason should NOT start from day 1, which means he would sit and get groomed behind Charlie or Peterson (another risky proposition), gets us where exactly?

IMO trading up from 3 to 1 sucks for us, especially from a fan's perspective. Trading up from a 9-16 spot always makes more sense than moving up from 3 to 1.

It's like ordering the fillet instead of the porter house when you are really hungry.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby buddycowley » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:22 pm

Furls wrote:If they take BE, the Browns get better immediately.

Addition by subtraction!

Ah, homerific responses are just so refreshing. Of course, I should have expected it from the resident "Buckeye Insider."

1. What would be the logic of dealing the 3 pick, and the team's best WR by a longshot, for a quarterback? How incredibly foolish would that deal be?

2. With the cap hit that the Browns would take, heaped upon the signing bonus that would have to go with a #1 QB pick, what would Phil Savage possibly be thinking in making this deal either?

3. If Savage did this, he wouldn't be able to then select your boy Troy Smith, which I am sure OSU homers will hold against Savage for the rest of his tenure.

Braylon isn't going anywhere. Get over yourself homer.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby BadBecks » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:45 pm

Another branch of this rumor tree (courtesy of PFT.com) is Braylon and a 3rd rounder to Minnesota for the 7th pick.

Part of me wonders if Braylon really has that kind of value right now. Either way, if any of this b/s is true, I'm interested.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:02 am

Another branch of this rumor tree (courtesy of PFT.com) is Braylon and a 3rd rounder to Minnesota for the 7th pick.

Now that would make more sense, to me. Maybe Calvin Johnson falls to you at #3 and you would have the 7 to pick one of Quinn, Peterson, Okoye.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:07 am

I agree that makes oodles & oodles of more sense to me.

No matter what happens in regards to how true these BE rumors are if in fact we are shopping him that alone speaks volumes IMO.

Just curious when was the last time an NFL team had two picks in the top 10 let alone top 20?

FUDU

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:44 am

Just curious when was the last time an NFL team had two picks in the top 10 let alone top 20?

I'm pretty sure it was the Colts. Twice in the 90s (1992 and 1994) they picked twice in the top 5. In 1992 they had the first and second pick and took Steve Emtmann and Quentin Coryatt; in '94 they had the second and fifth picks and took Marshall Faulk and every Buckeye's favorite guy, Trev Alberts. Four busts and a stud (to be fair, Emtmann would have been a good player had he not had so many injuries).
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:54 am

I'm gonna try to kill 2 birds with one stone right now...

a) I wish I could get a real feed of that dog shitting on that Steeler helmet above on Youtube

b) To Herman...Washington in 2000 took Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels with the 2 & 3 picks. Clearly the draft from hell conisidering I wanted Peter Warrick and we too Courtney Brown #1
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:57 am

BadBecks wrote:I'm gonna try to kill 2 birds with one stone right now...

a) I wish I could get a real feed of that dog shitting on that Steeler helmet above on Youtube

b) To Herman...Washington in 2000 took Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels with the 2 & 3 picks. Clearly the draft from hell conisidering I wanted Peter Warrick and we too Courtney Brown #1

Good catch, Becks. I wanted Lavar myself.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:14 am

Herman:

The worst memory I have about that draft is the fact that I was still in the USMC in SoCal...I only say this b/c Browns fans were scarce...let alone fans of the draft! Anyway, I found a (so called) Redskin fan and I tried asking him about how excited he was about the 2 & 3 picks, he didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I was so offended by this behavior I ceased being his friend on the spot.

That was the day I decided to start driving 25 miles out into town every sunday to watch the games. You'd be amazed at how many transplant fans are out there...including members of the SCBBA. Fuck them, they want 30 bucks a year to tell you where to watch the games...fags. I think I'm drunk.

My whole point of this is that's what the Samuels/Arrington point made me think of...that ungrateful fucking alleged "fan". I hope he married a chick who beats him daily.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:24 am

Unfortunately this says a lot about our recent draft woes.

Check out the poll in the lower right. :oops

http://espn.go.com/

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:28 am

Ah, homerific responses are just so refreshing. Of course, I should have expected it from the resident "Buckeye Insider."

My college football allegiances have nothing to do with my NFL rooting intersts. Wanna get personal take it to PMs, otherwise, crawl back under your rock, these are civilized boards.

1. What would be the logic of dealing the 3 pick, and the team's best WR by a longshot, for a quarterback? How incredibly foolish would that deal be?

Browns, logic, and NFL draft are three terms that have no business being put together in the same sentence. PERIOD.

2. With the cap hit that the Browns would take, heaped upon the signing bonus that would have to go with a #1 QB pick, what would Phil Savage possibly be thinking in making this deal either?

I have no idea. It is a bullshit rumor with no basis.

3. If Savage did this, he wouldn't be able to then select your boy Troy Smith, which I am sure OSU homers will hold against Savage for the rest of his tenure.

OH, since I like the Buckeyes I must want Troy Smith on the Browns. Make no mistake about it, Troy Smith COULD be a good pro in the right system. As a Buckeyes fan, I hope like hell he does not end up in Cleveland. It is the worst thing that could happen to the guy. Getting pounded in the ass every sunday by every team in the league and playing long before he will be "ready" because of fan homer pressure? Recipe for disaster for both the Browns and Smith.

Braylon isn't going anywhere. Get over yourself homer.

I COULD CARE LESS WHERE BE went to school. Once they are off the field, I really don't care. Hell if Chad Henne were in the draft, I would say he would make a lot of sense in the second or Jake Long in the first. So get over yourself.

I will say that BE has looked like a wasted pick. Go ahead, tell me he is going to "turn the corner." Since other receivers have gotten better after a couple of years doesn't me Edwards will. In another year, we will hear the same bullshit, "well, he needs another year because he was injured for a year," and then a year after that he will be injured again. So, take of your homer glasses and look at him objectively, what has he done in Cleveland? What has he proved nothing? Nothing yet and I am guessing he will prove nothing in the near future.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:32 am

Braylon hasn't been impressive, but there's not much else on the roster. If the Raiders are stupid enough to bite then I'd guess we'd be after Calvin Johnson - at least I hope that's the case. That scenario would allow the Raiders to get another WR and get a QB, possibly Russell, at 3.

I'd much rather be looking at trading down.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby happybluebird » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 pm

BadBecks wrote:a) I wish I could get a real feed of that dog shitting on that Steeler helmet above on Youtube

I redid the animation in a format that youtube excepts and am uploading it now. I have dial up though, so it is taking forever! :roll :roll:
happybluebird

Unread postby The Math God » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:08 pm

Being in Toledo, we saw a lot of Braylon highlights when he was at UofM.
Wait til he is at 100%.
He is better than everybody thinks and should eventually get his ego in check.
The Math God

Unread postby happybluebird » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:30 pm

happybluebird wrote:
BadBecks wrote:a) I wish I could get a real feed of that dog shitting on that Steeler helmet above on Youtube

I redid the animation in a format that youtube excepts and am uploading it now. I have dial up though, so it is taking forever! :roll :roll:

Finished! Here is the url:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excHaNwlcUQ
happybluebird

Unread postby buddycowley » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Wanna get personal take it to PMs, otherwise, crawl back under your rock, these are civilized boards.

Don't get all butt-hurt because I called you a homer. You and I both know that it is true. Is it REALLY that bad of a thing? Crawl back under my rock is real civilized too bucko.
I will say that BE has looked like a wasted pick.

Why? Because he hasn't caught every single pass that was thrown his way?

1. We all know that Cleveland has had a less than legit OL for years, and that the QB has had to run for his life CONSISTENTLY for many seasons. So, our #1 WR should still be putting up stats that rival those of the best WRs in the league? You and I both know this is near to impossible.

2. Our tight end caught 89 passes this year. How many teams lean that heavily on their tight end? That is 16 more passes that any other NFL TE. Hell, the TENTH guy on the list only has 50 catches. So, how is Braylon supposed to put up all these stellar statistics that you so crave if he doesn't get as many looks in the offense?

3. Braylon ranked 26th in yards gained this season. FIVE teams had more than one WR with more yards than Braylon as well. Toss in the 80 yard touchdown he had called back at the open of the season, and Braylon is only 36 yards away from 1,000.

4. Edwards wasn't even supposed to have played until Week Eight. Yet, he worked his tail off to get back before the start of the season, and still people hold it against him.

5. WR traditionally need THREE years in the NFL before truly being able to handle the speed of the game and all the other llittle nuances that go along with it. Personally, I think Braylon is only going to improve on the numbers he's already put up.

I don't understand what else you want from the guy. Braylon can't magically pull perfect passes out of his ass for himself. Our QBs SUCKED last year, but we hold it against the WRs for not being up to par? Please.
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL