Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Trade down

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Trade down

Unread postby ramllov » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:51 pm

WE all say QB, RB, LT, but they are going to trade down.

Savage has said he would be willing to make a selection in the top 15. The top five or six players are the key to the draft. These are the true blue chip players of the draft. It can be argued that the next 10 or so players are blue chip, but not of the finest quality.

Savage also says the team has between 7-10 needs and only 5 selections in the draft to fill the needs.

The Browns don't have to win in 2007, but for Savage and Crennel, especially Crenne., they have to win.

I would say Brady Quinn, if available, should be the third pick in the draft.
The second half of the 2007 draft is not equal to the quality of the second half of the 2006 draft. Even the beginning of the second round of the 2006 draft looks superior to this years draft when you start with 20-25.

It is getting interesting when a few new player are climbing the ranks to enter the first round and a few of your better draft teams, Baltimore and New England are now rumored to be willing to trade out of the first round.

New England and Baltimore are your premier teams who make their money on trading back and getting extra picks. The picks are a big benefit and also they pay less amount of money.

If Savage could work two deals to go back into the lower teens, he will aquire two additional second round picks as well as a third, if not more.

The draft has very good players, especially specific to the Browns needs.

The defensive line, secondary, and offensive line appear to be pretty strong. The running backs through the middle of the third round have some nice candidates.

Again, the general view of the Browns with three picks will go, QB/RB/LT, with their first pick, QB highest%. The second two picks will be CB or OL, preferably OG, unless a quality LT is available.

But, (big But) - If Savage trades back to say 14, he aquires two additional second round picks as well as another 3rd rond pick.

He has seven picks including their fourth round pick at 103rd.

With seven picks, he can pick, QB, RB, LT, RG, CB, NT and DE. Now they will not be picked in that order, but all of these players could either start in 2007 or 2008. This fills seven of the seven to ten needs that Savage had mentioned in his press conference.

The other options is that with one or more of these additional picks, he could package picks to trade up to target specific players.

Now Savage will not get his primary guy at 3, 4, 5 or 6, but, he could sit of 5, 6 or 7 guys instead of 4, when he completes his fourth pick at 103.

Will Savage be this agressive in trading down. I don't know. I read how he is going to take one of the five offensive blue chip players and see only one need filled. Each blue chip guy has a weak spot, except Calvin Johnson, WR. Who is a player that would be key if the Browns did trade down.

I had fun filling the draft positions and players and that is for another message or thread. I heard today that six other teams were in line for the second pick in the draft. If Detroit does not make that trade, I would bet if Calvin Johnson was still available, Savage would be on the phone for 15 minutes and 10 or more teams instead of six would be talking to him.

400 less points on the draft trading value chat, could make the Browns trading position much easier for a number of teams to move up.

It is just another view. However, do not be surprised at the progress of Saturday's draft.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Me personally, I think the Browns are trading down this year. Its easier said than done, and its speculated about every year ... but I think this is the year it happens.

I think you're going to see ATL move up to get CJ, and MIA move up to get Quinn. JaMarkie to da Raiduhs #1.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 pm

As long as the Raiders don't screw everything up and take CJ, a trade down is realistic.

If the Raiders take Calvin Johnson, then nobody is trading up.

And we take, OK, I won't type it again.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:11 pm

My gut tells me CJ is going to be there and we grab him for trade. There are two picks in front of us and we are at their mercy, just so happens it’s two of the most eccentric owner/GM combo in the front of us that are in the league, controlling our future as Brownies. Makes very exciting to sit and anticipate...SOOOO MANY Scenario's it’s hard to keep track...SHEESH…I hope they don’t screw it up, I hope they don’t screw it up, I hope they don’t screw it up!

Wow does AP look good on film…yowser’s…he looks like a Gazelle running around on a football field.
Wolfy

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Id love to see the Browns trade down a couple of times to be honest with you. Trading down once is hard enough, so I won't get greedy though.

All these guys at the very top of the draft scare me, and I absolutely love the late 1st day depth this draft has in our biggest areas of need.

You comin' Saturday Wolfy?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:25 pm

Trading down might be my favorite option, since AP or even Quinn might still be there if we were to trade down to - say - #8. And picking up 2 extra 2nd round picks... y'all might see my Oh Face.

But I have a feeling that Detroit is willing to get less than fair compensation to move out of #2, and - say - Atlanta will trade with the Lions and snag CJ there. And then no one will be excited to move up to #3 for anyone that's left.

Unread postby BadBecks » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:00 am

Hey I wanna bang Scarlett Johannson too, but its probably not gonna happen. :? :-? :???:

I think most of us want to trade down, but I would be stunned if we did in the first round. I agree with one of the prior posts...no CJ on the board = lack of bargaining chips.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Swerb wrote:Id love to see the Browns trade down a couple of times to be honest with you. Trading down once is hard enough, so I won't get greedy though.

All these guys at the very top of the draft scare me, and I absolutely love the late 1st day depth this draft has in our biggest areas of need.

You comin' Saturday Wolfy?

I would love to, but don’t know if I can make it. I would love to meet some of these dudes who write at this site so I could put a personality and face to their opinions and writings. I am about as up in the air as the Browns draft pick's. Still a possibility though. :lol:
Wolfy

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:20 pm

BadBecks wrote:Hey I wanna bang Scarlett Johannson too, but its probably not gonna happen. :? :-? :???:

I think most of us want to trade down, but I would be stunned if we did in the first round. I agree with one of the prior posts...no CJ on the board = lack of bargaining chips.

Yeah, but your not a GM in the NFL either...anything and everything is still possible with the two teams above us. You can have a pessimist view or a optimistic view because anyone who tells you what is going to happen in the first three picks is liar...the three teams up there don’t have it figured out yet so why do you?

I am sure that Scarlett is going to like a goat headed Browns fan though...you should give her a call. Or go to Hollywood and stalk her with your mask on...you never know! You have a better shot than guessing what Al and Matt are gonna do.
Wolfy

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:46 pm

If CJ goes to Oakland.....I think the best trade down option the Browns have is with Arizona at #5. They desparately want Thomas and I am sure they are afraid either Cleveland or Tampa takes him. I could see us swapping #3 and #5 with them, we get a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and we then take Quinn or AP at #5 (whoever is left, if both take Quinn then).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 pm

If CJ goes to Oakland, Phil will go get Russell.........even if it costs them a 2nd round pick to move up a spot.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby dpdad » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:32 pm

If CJ goes to Oakland, Phil will go get Russell.........even if it costs them a 2nd round pick to move up a spot.

My worst nightmare. I don't want JR even if he falls to the Browns at #3. If Opie gives up a second rounder to move up to get Russell then I just give up on this team altogether.
dpdad

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:36 pm

dpdad wrote:

My worst nightmare. I don't want JR even if he falls to the Browns at #3. If Opie gives up a second rounder to move up to get Russell then I just give up on this team altogether.

I disagree, I wont even do that if they take Quinn. Even though the thought of that makes me want to vomit. I have come full circle on JR, and think he's gonna be something special.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:18 pm

I just don’t see the Raiders taking anything but QB. With the year they had last year at the QB position even Al has to pass on CJ or trade the pick and hope one falls to him wherever that spot is. They already have Moss who quit halfway through the season on them because they didn’t have anyone who could throw the ball, and no buyer's in a trade. One more scenario comes to mind...Draft CJ and trade for Culpepper, which would still leave the Browns in the mix. Maybe a three-way... Raiders give Miami #1 Browns give Raiders #3 and Brownies get #9 and a shiload of extra picks, that way Miami starts over with Quin/Russell, Raiders get Culpepper and maybe CJ, Browns get their trade down and picks...What do you guys think?
Wolfy

Unread postby yogi » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:34 pm

Maybe a three-way... Raiders give Miami #1 Browns give Raiders #3 and Brownies get #9 and a shiload of extra picks, that way Miami starts over with Quin/Russell, Raiders get Culpepper and maybe CJ, Browns get their trade down and picks...What do you guys think?

For Miami to move up to #1 from 9 will cost them more than their entire draft. Heck, I doubt Miami has enough firepower to take #3 away from us.

Miami is not that good of a team and needs help at multiple positions.

I think Miami sits tight and hopes that BQ falls to #6 before they will think about making a move.

If Phil wants a QB, he'll get one, because unless Detroit changes its mind (or has been bluffing all along) JR or BQ is gonna be sitting there at #3.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Yeah, but the Raiders wouldnt mind getting Culpepper to go with Moss. I dont know how all the value pans out but it definetly seems like it is something to look at, no?
Last edited by Wolfy on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfy

Unread postby yogi » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Yeah, but the Raiders wouldnt mind getting Culpepper to go with Moss. I dont know how all the value pans out but it definetly seems like it is something to look at, no?

An Injury-free Culpepper yes, but he's pretty banged up.

Hey, but's it Al.

You don't dismiss ANY scenario.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:43 pm

You hit the nail on the head with that one...It all seems like to much but I thought I would put it out there.
Wolfy

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:02 pm

Raiders | Deal with Cleveland a possibility?
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:05:48 -0700

ESPN's Ed Werder reports there is a chance the Oakland Raiders work out a trade with the Cleveland Browns during the first round of the NFL Draft. There is speculation the Browns could send WR Braylon Edwards to the Raiders in addition to the No. 3 pick overall for the first-overall selection.

Could Calvin Johnson be coming to Cleveland ??

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:52 pm

We have too many holes to trade a pick and a player for a pick.

That trade will piss off a lot of people!
Isn't it time something good happens in this town ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:54 pm

If Phil thinks this is our future QB for the next decade, I'm down.........and Im a AP pimp

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:57 pm

It says they are taking Calvin Johnson? So our big upgrade with the #3 pick would be a slightly better receiver?

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:45 am

Yeah, but your not a GM in the NFL either...anything and everything is still possible with the two teams above us. You can have a pessimist view or a optimistic view because anyone who tells you what is going to happen in the first three picks is liar...the three teams up there don’t have it figured out yet so why do you?

That's a pretty sweet avatar. Did you get that after you banged the great Michell Kwan? (Blades of Glory...if you haven't seen it yet...don't ask)

BTW, if I move back to SoCal, you can be certain Miss Johannson will rank at the top of my hit...err, stalk list.

I think that's an admirable goal if you ask me?
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL