Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Speed

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Speed

Unread postby RedDawg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 am

I've noticed JB talk about the lack of speed on this team, and I think we are all very well aware of this badly needed aspect of our team.

Mangini had us well on the way to be a perennial 8-8 team that would frequently be engaged in dull, close games decided on a FG. The thing he didn't seem to value was the ability of a guy to take over a game with the ability to make a play.

How we gonna do it? Some thoughts.

SHORT TERM:
1. Showcase Josh Cribbs as a returner.

Give up on the Cribbs is a WR experiment. Get rid of him in the Wildcat. He's not going to be a gamebreaking WR fast enough to justify him using up his energy getting reps there and/or getting hurt.

He's one of the best returners in NFL history, so quit trying to make him into something he's not. Personally I think he could have been a poor man's Chris Johnson, but it's too late for that now too.

Get whatever pieces you need on the KR and PR units to spring this guy.

2. Draft a WR at #6.

I'm not pimping this necessarily, but it's an option. If Green or Jones is a guy you think is tearing it up in this WCO for the next ten years, then I got no problem with it.

3. Use Colt's speed at QB.

Implement designed sprintouts and pass/run options. Maybe even some QB draws as long as he slides wisely. I think the WCO lends itself well to this.

4. Use 2 of the 3 first picks on the DL.

This unit needs an infusion of youth, talent and most importantly speed in the worst way. We need to come away with a DT and a DE with two of these picks. Don't see us taking an OT that high if we take a WR at #6.

LONG TERM
1. Draft Peterson if he drops to #6.

Obviously this conflicts with #1-#2, but I think you have to put his returner abilities on hold while he focuses on CB. Down the road, he could even be converted into a Rod Woodson type safety.

2. Draft a speed RB in the middle rounds and develop him.

Need a playmaker at this position. Hillis has little home run ability and it will start to become less soon.

3. Play Carlton Mitchell

I bet we see this happen. He has the tools to be a stud WR and needs to learn on the field.

4. Acquire speed at the LB positions.

Draft or free agency, make it so. Multiple picks. I'd love to see us draft LBs to develop that actually have starter potential.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Re: Speed

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm more concerned with the lack of speed on defense. We need impact players that can rush the passer and go sideline to sideline. The good news is that we should be in a great position to get an impact player at 6 that fills this need (Peterson, Dareus, Fairley, Bowers, and Miller all fit the bill).

Despite my earlier talk of a reciever at 6...I leaning D now. Just see a ton of potential on that side of the ball for us at that pick.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby RedDawg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Agree, for the most part. But is the dropoff from #6 to #38 more at the WR position or the DL? Our history of taking 6 different receivers in the second round that haven't been more than mediocre suggests we go with Green or Jones.

I kinda thought we'd see some vet 4-3 LBs brought in via FA by now, and I think we would have if the CBA wasn't up this year.

This potential lockout hurts us as much as anyone in the NFL, but it could essentially make this entire season amount to a dress rehearsal for 2012 for the Browns.
RedDawg

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Red,

I don't want this thread to move to one that debates and compares the positional needs of the Browns and which of those positions should be targeted. I dont think that was your intent here, since you opened with a post was about addressing our lack of team speed. So Ill tread lightly.

The reason I focus on D for our team speed is simple...on O most skill position players in general are fast. The difference between a "fast" NFL receiver and a "slow" NFL receiver is not that great. I dont view adding AJ green as really addressing the team speed issue. (not saying he would be a bad pick at 6 and really don't want that discussion here...focusing on the thread at hand) Having Green as your #1 WR vs Mo Mass (or to use a draftee, Hankerson) doesn't make you necessarily a faster team.

Now, the difference between a "fast" NFL linebacker and a "slow" NFL linebacker...thats a different story. Von Miller vs Scott Fugita is a helluva difference. That's improving your team speed. (again, not advocating Miller at 6...just using him for illustrative purposes).

My read on Heckert's comments: they are going to target fast, impact players on the defensive side of the ball. Thats improving team speed.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby RedDawg » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Red,

I don't want this thread to move to one that debates and compares the positional needs of the Browns and which of those positions should be targeted. I dont think that was your intent here, since you opened with a post was about addressing our lack of team speed. So Ill tread lightly.

The reason I focus on D for our team speed is simple...on O most skill position players in general are fast. The difference between a "fast" NFL receiver and a "slow" NFL receiver is not that great. I dont view adding AJ green as really addressing the team speed issue. (not saying he would be a bad pick at 6 and really don't want that discussion here...focusing on the thread at hand) Having Green as your #1 WR vs Mo Mass (or to use a draftee, Hankerson) doesn't make you necessarily a faster team.

Now, the difference between a "fast" NFL linebacker and a "slow" NFL linebacker...thats a different story. Von Miller vs Scott Fugita is a helluva difference. That's improving your team speed. (again, not advocating Miller at 6...just using him for illustrative purposes).

My read on Heckert's comments: they are going to target fast, impact players on the defensive side of the ball. Thats improving team speed.

Couldn't agree with you more.

The lack of talent (including speed) on the defensive side of the ball since the return has been appalling. Aside from Jamir Miller and Shuan Rogers briefly exposing us to good play on that side of the ball, we don't even know good defense when we see it anymore.

Wish we had a normal off-season to watch the plan unfold, but instead we'll get a year of practice and our chances to see a good team in CBS will be pushed back yet another year.

Like maybe 2014 if we are lucky.
RedDawg

Unread postby RedDawg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

I'm not saying visiting equates to preference, but the "safest" pick in the NFL draft is coming to Cleveland for a workout.

Who won the Bednarik award for the best defensive player in the Nation? Who dominated the best conference in the country? Not Dareus, not Bowers, not even Fairly. Patrick Peterson is the best defensive football player in the draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pat ... Bills.html

Adding a talent like Peterson could be huge. As a bigger corner, The Browns can minimize the advantage opposing offenses might have in forcing us to put Haden on some of the elite tall WRs in the NFL. In fact, if the Bengals select AJ Green it makes a ton of sense to take Peterson to neutralize that threat over the long term.

Another enticing reason for taking Peterson is that it would allow us to move Sheldon Brown into Elam's safety position thereby upgrading two positions with one pick. Remember - the Eagles have been a base 4-3 Cover 4 defense. This puts a premium on CBs that can cover the outside Quarter and safeties that can come up and hit you.

Add Peterson's ability as a returner to the equation to spot Cribbs and possibly to be his future successor, and there are a lot of reasons to like this pick.

I guess the question is, can you get good quality DL in rounds 2-3 to pair with a likely elite cover corner? I'd hope that Heckert could.

Like Peterson more than the stud DL prospects. IMO adding him helps this team to improve more in both the short and long term than any other pick, with the possible exception of Cam Newton coming in and becoming a legend.

Unlike Newton, Peterson will be likely Day 1 starter, yet retains the upside of being a perennial pro bowler and possible HOF'er when he hangs up his cleats. He can easily transition to safety once later in his career ala Rod Woodson.

And did I mention he's really fast? 4.34 forty at 220 lbs. A ridiculous combination, combined with proven performance at the highest level at a position that transitions well to the NFL right away.
RedDawg

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 am

As one of the people that was 100% against Haden (and pretty wrong on that account) it might seem odd that I could not agree more on this freak.

Would be interesting to see if they would move Brown to safety, or just not resign Easy E and use Sheldon as the third corner? Thought I saw something from Holmgren or Heckert saying they did not envision moving Brown to safety under any circumstance.

Also find it interesting, that I have not seen a single mock listing Peterson as the Browns selection. Maybe I haven't looked at enough of them, are they out there? If not, why? People just don't think a team would take CB in the top 7 in back to back years? No matter how much sense it makes?

There is also some talk out there about moving Peterson to safety? An option, with leaving Brown at corner?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby RedDawg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Was reading some more on Jauron, and it sounds like he runs a lot of Cover 2. I've also seen that he is pretty good at adjusting his schemes to the personnel. Remember, he cut his teeth in PIT with Dom Capers and LeBeau IIRC.

Sheldon Brown is a more than adequate Cover 2 corner. Puts a lot of pressure on the safeties, so if we are going to be a Cover 2 base a lot, Elam scares me. Cover 2 LBs are generally very quick and fast in general, so I'd have to think we're more of a Cover 4 team.

Elam is good rolled up in Cover 3, but would also be servicable in Cover 4. Peterson would make this a very good Cover 4 base coverage unit, and has all the advantages I've mentioned earlier.
RedDawg

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL