Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns intersted in Larry Johnson?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns intersted in Larry Johnson?

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:33 am

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10147306

April 24, 2007) -- Of all the running backs available on draft day, none is any better than Larry Johnson, who is on the trade block, multiple NFL sources confirmed Tuesday.

The Kansas City Chiefs are dangling Johnson out there, seeing if they can entice teams to trade for the 27-year-old running back that has run for 3,539 yards and 37 touchdowns the past two seasons.

The Chiefs have spoken with the Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills and possibly others, but have not found anything close to a taker.

The Chiefs have tough decisions to make about RB Larry Johnson.
A Chiefs official insisted Tuesday that his team has not engaged in "specific" trade talks with any team. But it's a matter of semantics. They clearly have spoken in trade generalities with a number of teams, trying to gauge Johnson's value around the league and to their organization.

The reason the Chiefs are shopping Johnson is the exact reason that other teams are leery about trading for him.

Johnson is heading into the last year of his contract and is seeking a new deal that would eclipse the eight-year, $60 million contract given to San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson two years ago, before the NFL's salary-cap increased 36 percent. With the salary-cap skyrocketing, so is Johnson's asking price, and rightfully so.

But any team that trades for Johnson would have to satisfy the running back's asking price as well as the Chiefs', a difficult double play to pull off. One NFL general manager went as far as to say that Johnson was "untradeable -- who will pay that contract demand?"

Ultimately, maybe it will be the Chiefs, who continue to talk contract extension with Johnson in the hopes that the two sides can reach a peaceful resolution before training camp.

But to hedge their bets that they won't, the Chiefs are actively seeking to pick a running back on the first day of the draft. In the past week, they've hosted visits with California's Marshawn Lynch, Ohio State's Antonio Pittman, Florida State's Lorenzo Booker and Louisville's Kolby Smith. They've even told some of the players' agents that they plan to pick a running back high.

It is just one more sign that Johnson's future with the team is, for the time being, uncertain. Most NFL personnel people believe it is a long shot that the Chiefs will wind up trading Johnson within the next week, but it can no longer be overlooked.

The issue has garnered more attention privately within the organization than it has publicly outside it.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:54 am

Pup, what would it take IYO? Hefty contract to pick up and risk of losing him also to FA.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:14 am

Pup, what would it take IYO? Hefty contract to pick up and risk of losing him also to FA.

Well, I will take the second part first. I am sure the new contract would be agree upon before any type of trade was to go down.

Secondly, I have no idea. It wouldn't be a small price. I am sure a first rounder would be involved. Best guess will be he stays in KC, they put one of the tags on him next year, and then try to work out a deal where he could go get a big contract. Almost like an NBA sign and trade.

I find it very unlikely anyone meets their asking price though. Once the OK his agent go out and talk to other teams he will know who is willing to pay him the best and will only allow a trade to that team. Therefore, that team could just wait on him as a free agent.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:00 pm

No thanks on him
Too much to pay and he's had 5,000 carries in the last 2 years.

Unread postby furls » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:46 pm

He is 27? That means he only has 3 years until he falls apart.

No thanks
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:54 pm

He is 27? That means he only has 3 years until he falls apart.

But he only has 1.5 years of being a starter in his mileage. I know the 30 year old rule, but that is more for guys who have carried the weight since they were 23 and have 2000 carries.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:28 pm

We would have to give up a 1st rounder and probably other picks plus pay him stupid money.
If he was the last piece to the puzzle sure.
But we stink, so HELL NO.

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm

One year of Herman Edwards will put some mileage on you, hell, Edwards probably has the guy laboring on his house in the off season. Fight is right. If you needed him as a final piece to the puzzle..... The Browns don't even have the borders finished.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby yogi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:48 pm

Johnson has 892 rushing attempts and will be 28 in Nov.

J. Lewis has 1822 rushing attempts and will be 28 in August

Rudi Johnson has 1271 rushing attempts and will be 28 in October

LT has 2050 rushing attempts and will be 28 in June

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerindex/POS_RB

Wouldn't mind asking around.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm

Thank you Yogi.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:19 pm

LJ will be 28 soon, but he doesn't have the mileage on him that a lot of premiere backs his age do. He probably has 4 or 5 more good years left in him.

The reported asking price is a 2nd rounder.

I must admit that I'm intrigued. If we were to get a Larry Johnson for the price of our 2nd round pick, then I would be much happier with a Joe Thomas or even a Brady Quinn.

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:21 pm

2nd rounder for the 2nd best RB(stat wise) in the game?
I find that hard to believe.
He is also looking to make more than LT.
I'd still pass.

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:23 pm

The reported asking price is a 2nd rounder.

Shit, see if they will bite on an 8-ball, third rounder and let's get the best running back in the game in Cleveland.

Then draft Joe Thomas.

If Charlie Frye cannot get the job done with that o-line and LJ in the backfield, then he will be back in Willard next year, you can draft a QB, and use LJ as his training wheels.

BTW, there is no way any of this is happening.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:24 pm

The best running back in the game?
LT is on the market?

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:26 pm

1 and 1A. Sorry.

He is better than anyone else. As good as LT. Way better than Peterson, Lynch or the combination of Adriawn Lynterson.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:33 pm

I would rather have LT than any other player in the league and it's not even close.

I also would rather have AP at 21 with no wear and tear from the NFL than LJ and his wanting a 80 mill contract.

Plus, we could have LT and LJ together and they would blow because of our O-Line.

I also think this is just a fantasy anyway.

Unread postby furls » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 pm

Peterson is going to want Reggie Bush money, so would you rather spend 50-60 million on an unknown commodity or get a known commodity for 80 million?

Personally I could care less, good RBs are not impossible to come by, but I think trading for LJ would make more sense than drafting AP (at reggie bush dollars).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:52 pm

FightDr wrote:2nd rounder for the 2nd best RB(stat wise) in the game?
I find that hard to believe.

So do I, but that's what the evil rumor-mongerers are throwing out there.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:01 pm

Why would KC even want to trade him anyway?
Who's their backup? Dee Brown?
It's all pre-draft BS.
And yes, I'd rather have AP. He splits carries with Jamal this year learns the pro game, stays healthy, and then blows up.
We get LJ this year, he gets injured behind our star studded line and he's out of the league in 2009.

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 pm

If we were to get Johnson, it would only be for one year, I'd pass on that as well. I say we trade our pick to get MORE out of the draft this year. Last I heard the Brownies were taking Calvin Johnson, just what we need, another receiver with no one to get him the ball.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby mistero » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Yeah, and St Louis should never pony up for that head case Marshall Faulk! A mean a second rounder for a HOF RB? How rich.

LJ for a 5th and 2nd? I would do that, or preferably swap 1st rounders.

LJ has low milage and is a beast. LJ with 10-12 carries from 8 ball. That a hammer and an ax right there brothers.

DA should be able to prosper in that. Plus we get to add a player we really need lower in the first round like Levi Jones or Jammal Anderson.

Do it before they sober up.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:34 am

FightDr,

You are telling me you would rather Adrian Peterson+Tony Ugoh over Larry Johnson+Joe Thomas. Really?

This is all hypothetical, because things like trading a 2nd round pick for one of the top 2 RB's in the game just does not happen in Cleveland, but:

You are talking about a line of:

Thomas, Steinbech, Fraley, Andruzzi/McKinney/Tucker, Shafer

With Larry Johnson. A couple of 6'4 receivers. A TE that catches 90 balls.

That is the best offensive team the Browns have had, possibly in my lifetime.

Use the rest of the draft on defensive help, and you are looking at an 8 win team, minimum. No matter how bad you think the QB play is.

Or take Brady Quinn, win 3 games and hope going into the following year Quinn is the man.

Or the Peterson/Ugoh draft (which won't happen because you know Phil will take BPA #2). Our O-line is still a wreck. We have 2 good RB's, who have no place to go. A ton of pressure on an already skidish QB.

And the cycle continues.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:28 am

You know what, I don't want Larry Johnson.
I don't want to have to give up picks(no way all KC wants is a 2nd rounder) and back the Brinks truck up for him.
He is a great player but we have too many holes.
If it was for a 2nd rounder and nothing else then(and only then) would I do it.

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:40 am

Pup wrote:FightDr,

You are telling me you would rather Adrian Peterson+Tony Ugoh over Larry Johnson+Joe Thomas. Really?

This is all hypothetical, because things like trading a 2nd round pick for one of the top 2 RB's in the game just does not happen in Cleveland, but:

You are talking about a line of:

Thomas, Steinbech, Fraley, Andruzzi/McKinney/Tucker, Shafer

With Larry Johnson. A couple of 6'4 receivers. A TE that catches 90 balls.

That is the best offensive team the Browns have had, possibly in my lifetime.

Use the rest of the draft on defensive help, and you are looking at an 8 win team, minimum. No matter how bad you think the QB play is.

Or take Brady Quinn, win 3 games and hope going into the following year Quinn is the man.

Or the Peterson/Ugoh draft (which won't happen because you know Phil will take BPA #2). Our O-line is still a wreck. We have 2 good RB's, who have no place to go. A ton of pressure on an already skidish QB.

And the cycle continues.

I can't argue with your logic, Pup.

I think this has got to be smoke and fog, though. I am more willing to believe KC lets him go for a 2nd (same price as Faulk from Indy to St L) than him being moved at all.

I'm Nancy Kerrigan with a shattered shin on that one.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't think we are doing it either. Or that KC would move him for a 2nd round pick.

All I am saying is if they will move him for a second round pick, we are making a mistake in not being involved.

Pipe Dreams are allowed in message board land.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:40 pm

I understand everyones thoughts on this.
If I thought it was a true possibility I might have more interest.
Only a 2nd round pick and nothing else, of course Phil should make a call.

Unread postby mistero » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Only a second? Or only a 2nd and a 5th? Or a second and Frye? What the difference? It's still chump change for a top 3 back.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:03 pm

This is a no brainer. Take the 2nd best back in the NFL? Back the Brinks truck up...hell, give him the Brinks truck and put dubbs on it...then select your lineman with 3 of 4 first picks. This is all just a dream though...wont happen. Take Calvin when he is still there and trade him for the picks...end of story.
Wolfy

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL