Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

It is what it is.

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

It is what it is.

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:30 pm

We need a couple play makers and we need some depth, until then we are going to get what we saw today, at least on occasion. We're right there though, we can dominate large portions of a game, can hang with anyone and play with anyone. But until we make a few more key plays a game and take advantage of gifts like today we're going to lose games like this still.

We simply cannot over come losing a dangerous guy like Cribbs and no have anyone behind Hillis.

No sense is getting upset by it as frustrating as it is b/c we're going to remain a few players away until the off season.

Some monster efforts by some individuals on D though, got to be pumped about that going forward.

Mangini is going to take some heat for his game management near the end but it should have never come to that, no excuse not to score at least 9 more pts in that second half today.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: It is what it is.

Unread postby papacass » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Heckert and his golf-shirt posse are going to need to own draft weekend for the next few years. For all of the analysis Mangini and the coordinators are subjected to, Heckert and his scouts are the hinge that the future will swing on.

Otherwise, what you see is what you get. A team that is a Peyton Hillis muscle tear away from ruination.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:49 pm

papacass wrote:Heckert and his golf-shirt posse are going to need to own draft weekend for the next few years. For all of the analysis Mangini and the coordinators are subjected to, Heckert and his scouts are the hinge that the future will swing on.

Otherwise, what you see is what you get. A team that is a Peyton Hillis muscle tear away from ruination.

Funny you mention that, b/c IF the Browns were 6-3 or 7-3 as they so easily could be Hillis would be in all the MVP talk, he simply could not be ignored. But reality is we are 3-7 and frankly MVP voting is inherently tied to a good WL record (and it is understandable).

From a fan's perspective it is just so hard to understand how they couldn't get one more TD or two more FG's out of those half dozen turn overs today.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:49 pm

papacass wrote:Heckert and his golf-shirt posse are going to need to own draft weekend for the next few years. For all of the analysis Mangini and the coordinators are subjected to, Heckert and his scouts are the hinge that the future will swing on.

Well, I guess that's true. I also guess it's true for every single franchise in the league.

Give any of them 10 years of shitty drafts and gawdawful personnel decisons and let me know if their futures depend on the next few to get back on track.

We hold these truths to be self evident....

And as far as faith? I like the start they're off to personally. Really tough to see it actually getting off to a better start if you're not dreaming.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm

FUDU wrote:From a fan's perspective it is just so hard to understand how they couldn't get one more TD or two more FG's out of those half dozen turn overs today.

It's right there in front of us: a paper thin team got even thinner w/o the right side of their line and their all-everything WR/QB/KR/RB guy, the QB was dinged and the horrific receivers are bad enough that the box can be jammed with 9-10 guys to stop #40.

Personally I'm stunned the offense scores 10 per game.

Seriously, give you, me and nine of our friends the ball at the Jags 40 6 times and let's see how many points we score against them. With Robiskie, St. Clairand the like running around out there it's not as ridiculous an analogy as it might seem. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby daddywags » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:59 pm

I've thought from day one that the two things they focused on to fix from last season were: the QB situation and the DB situation. They completely changed the QB's and changed out 3 of top 5 DB's. So far that stuff seems to be working. They managed to completely change the RBs, too, but Hardesty getting injured has put a damper on that plan. This winter focus on WRs and defensive front 7 and we might have something about this time next season (assuming there is a next season). The only disappointment today, IMhO, is watching our offensive line get manhandled all game long. That's happened a bit too much this year and it has to stop.
daddywags

Unread postby papacass » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:02 pm

In all honesty, year one of the Holmgren/Heckert regime has been a smashing success. Two secondary studs, maybe the future QB, a rock-solid pass catching TE, the best MLB we've seen around here since Billy Ball, and a RB who would indeed be an MVP candidate if the Browns were 7-3...acquired for a QB who is gathering dust for his new team.

You can critize Heckgren for signing an obviously used-up Delhomme and force-feeding him as a starter. You can make the case that they didn't try hard enough to upgrade the WR position. But sum total, I don't see how you grade Year One of Heckgren below a solid "B." I'd put it more in the B-plus or A-minus range.

It's just that the Browns were so messed up, it's going to take several years before this crapfest can be totally cleaned up and sanitized.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby daddywags » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:22 pm

papacass wrote:It's just that the Browns were so messed up, it's going to take several years before this crapfest can be totally cleaned up and sanitized.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
daddywags

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL