Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Had a chance to talk to Crennel today ...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Had a chance to talk to Crennel today ...

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Had a chance to go to a Boys and Girls Club of America lunch/golf outing fundraiser at Prestwick Country Club in Akron today. Romeo was the guest speaker. I was expecting a 10-15 min quick speech.

Romeo ended up talking for almost an hour, was engaging, and took about 20 minutes of football related questions from those of us in attendance.

Given the hosts, Romeo talked alot about parenting, how its tougher to be kids today, character, how they're trying to build the team with character guys, etc. Then he got into football.

My first question to him once he started taking them was ...

"You've talked alot about character today. There's a very talented cornerback out of UNLV that should be available at the top of the second round that had some character issues in the past. Is the team considering taking him?"

Romeo basically said that their research on Eric Wright was that he was an "exemplary citizen" (his words) in the two years he spent at Vegas after transferring away from USC after his sophomore year. Said Wright was a very talented kid, and that you have to be to get regular playing time at USC as a frosh.

He never answered the question, but it was clear Romeo was intimately familiar with Wright, and also felt he had turned the corner from being a malcontent.

I then asked ....

"What's the status of Joe Andruzzi? Is Ryan Tucker working out at Berea, and is the team considering moving him to right guard?"

Right out of the gates, he said, yes ... the team is considering moving Mother Tucker to guard. They said they hadn't made their minds up yet, as they weren't yet sure how he would transition. And that they were sure about his ability to play RT if healthy physically and mentally. Tucker is in Berea working out, and "appears to be OK for the coming season".

He said Andruzzi has also been in Berea working out, and is still with the team. He said "one of the reasons I brought Joe over with me is because I know that he is going to give me everything he has in him at all times". Then, he ended by making a comment about how the years of wear and tear have affected Joe, and that it's too early to determine how much of a role he could have with the team this year.

Crennel obviously wouldn't say anything about who the team may pick at #3 despite multiple attempts by questioners to weasel a piece of info out of him.

Other bits ...

~As it stands, Frye has the "heads up" over Anderson, but that it was an open competition because of what Derek showed late last year.

~Made an interesting comment about the situation at inside linebacker being three guys for two spots, and that all would see a lot of field time. Andra, D'Qwell, Leon. Left out Thompson.

~When asked who the highest character guy he ever crossed paths with in the NFL, he said former Giants DE George Martin.

~Was asked who the better coach was between Belichick and Parcells. He punted. But he specifically made a comment about how Parcells was almost fired after a couple shaky seaons to start his Giant tenure, but then turned the thing around.

~Talked about how he personally schools rookies on how to talk to the media, and that it's one of the first things he does after the draft. He basically said he supplies the rooks with watered down talking points.

Then he stayed after for a while. Signed balls, hats, and shirts. Took some more questions. Came across as a genuinely good guy, if not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:36 pm

Man, I almost feel bad for Romeo. Things he's got a cream puff speech at the Boys and Girls Club of America, and then you come out shooting questions about Easy E and a few pills of X. It would be nice to get a mid 1st round talent like Eric Wright as one of our two 2nd round picks.

Very interesting comment about the inside backers. I thought Jackson was solid last year and Williams showed a lot of potential in limited action.
Davis could find himself on the bench.
Isn't it time something good happens in this town ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 pm

Davis will be on the Browns as a STARTER for a long time hopefully
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 pm

Davis will be on the Browns as a STARTER for a long time hopefully

I think Williams could be the 1st of Opie's diamonds in the rough they used to find in Crackmore.
Isn't it time something good happens in this town ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:41 am

I find this telling because of his mentioning moving Tucker to Guard.

I hope to God he's not hoping that Butler or Dorsey will be our starting Right Tackle. I'd have to assume he's not that stupid.

So that means - should Tucker move to G - our starting RT is not yet on the roster. Which means, expect a Tackle to be our 2nd round pick.

Or perhaps it gives credence to Swerb's info that the Browns are looking to trade down and pick up Levi Brown. The beef against Levi is that he might not be quick enough to play LT in the NFL. Fine. We have Shaffer at LT anyway, and I'm not convinced that he would be an effective RT. So Levi comes in and becomes our RT. Problem solved, and an extra 2nd round pick to boot (which sounds a lot like Eric Wright, should he still be available).

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:03 am

Now that's what i'm talken about! Good info Swerb! Murph hit it on the nose. Coach comes in with sleep still in his eyes thinking this is gonna be easy, couple boy scouts couple soccer moms and whatnot...Swerb comes in and throws that could water in his face and woke em up reall quick like. Talking about character and Wright in Rd 2...That's some good shit!
Wolfy

Unread postby furls » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:04 am

I was thinking the same thing. They still seem to be short a tackle. Not sure if that means JT in the first or a trade down. Personally, I am hoping for a trade down and an extra second.

I would love to see:

1st Levi Brown
2nd Eric Wright
2nd (acquired) RB (should be a couple available and they are all about the same).
3rd could be any number of things.

I would be just fine with that.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:24 am

But we do realize, that just because we WANT to trade down, it doesn't mean someone wants to trade up.

They are taking a tackle. If they think Sears will fall to 37, then it may be him. If not, get ready for Joe Thomas with the 3.

Sorry.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:50 am

Pup wrote:But we do realize, that just because we WANT to trade down, it doesn't mean someone wants to trade up.

Of course not. It's unlikely that they will be able to trade down. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

I think it's much more likely that they take their RT in the 2nd, with Quinn or Peterson coming to us at #3.

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:56 am

Wolfy wrote:Now that's what i'm talken about! Good info Swerb! Murph hit it on the nose. Coach comes in with sleep still in his eyes thinking this is gonna be easy, couple boy scouts couple soccer moms and whatnot...Swerb comes in and throws that could water in his face and woke em up reall quick like. Talking about character and Wright in Rd 2...That's some good shit!

He actually got a lot of tough questions. It was pretty cool to see the HC of the Browns take 20-25 minutes of questions, all football related, from a room full of fans.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59 am

Question: Why does Frye have a "heads up" on Anderson? Just because he was a higher draft pick?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Hiko wrote:Question: Why does Frye have a "heads up" on Anderson? Just because he was a higher draft pick?

I think because he grew up a Browns fan. Or has pictures of Romeo romancing a goat.

There's really no other explanation for that stance.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Maybe because, as bad a Frye is, Anderson is worse. I don't know, it seems reasonable.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby General » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Bummer for DA if he is that bad. I felt that when I watched those two idiots run the offense last year that we....oh hell, who am I kidding the prospect of either of thme running the offense makes me want to vomit up organ pieces.
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:44 pm

makes me want to vomit up organ pieces.

Why do you eat organ pieces?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby General » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Edit.... :lol:
General

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:03 pm

General wrote:Bummer for DA if he is that bad. I felt that when I watched those two idiots run the offense last year that we....oh hell, who am I kidding the prospect of either of thme running the offense makes me want to vomit up organ pieces.

I agree... they were both equally impressive. And, by impressive, I mean unimpressive.

But I saw nothing from Charlie that told me that he should have "heads up" on anybody, including the guys that line the field.

He should have to earn it.

Unread postby Kuiper » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:26 pm

Why does everyone assume that Crennel's comments about a possible move of Tucker to RG implies we are going to take a OT in the draft (and start them right away)? Isn't it also plausible that it depends upon whether they think Eric Steinbach should play OT instead of Guard? We may disagree with the decision to make such a move, but it certainly was mentioned as a possibility when he was signed. That might involve double switches (Shaffer to RT, Tucker to RG, Steinbach to LT, and draftee to LG), but it's doable. It also might make sense even if we draft a tackle. Teams frequently start tackles out at guard.
Kuiper

Unread postby Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Kuiper wrote:Why does everyone assume that Crennel's comments about a possible move of Tucker to RG implies we are going to take a OT in the draft (and start them right away)? Isn't it also plausible that it depends upon whether they think Eric Steinbach should play OT instead of Guard? We may disagree with the decision to make such a move, but it certainly was mentioned as a possibility when he was signed. That might involve double switches (Shaffer to RT, Tucker to RG, Steinbach to LT, and draftee to LG), but it's doable. It also might make sense even if we draft a tackle. Teams frequently start tackles out at guard.

It might. I hope not, because Steinbach is a proven guard, not a proven LT, and I don't know how good a RT Shaffer would be, but these are the Browns, so anything's possible.

Unread postby yogi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:09 pm

It might. I hope not, because Steinbach is a proven guard, not a proven LT, and I don't know how good a RT Shaffer would be, but these are the Browns, so anything's possible.

Yes, but they could try Steinbach at LT and if it didn't work out, nothing lost. Its not like he can never go back to playing Guard.

But it is the Browns so anything is possible.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Tucker to RG.
Schaffer to RT.
Fraley entrenched at C.
Steinbach at LG.

Levi Brown at LT? I really think a trade down is a very real possibility. I still think the Browns could trade down more than once in this draft. Like the Browns FO is rumored to be, I also like Brown more than Thomas. I like Staley a lot too and he's now jumped into the first round, but we'd have to drop way back to pick him up at a good spot.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson..................................................??????

You know Sundays just haven't been the same..........since the 60's.

Is it any wonder the Steeler fans I'm forced to communicate with ( at work only!) ....just laugh.........and laugh.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby General » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:10 pm

The goddam shitsburg fans in Pensacola don't even laugh at the Browns and us fans anymore. The attitude is more like the sad look you would give a terminally ill patient. It sickens me to have to point out all of our successes prior to the merger and that 30 second period in the eighties when we pissed off the Broncos three times. I can't wait for the first game.
General

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:38 pm

General wrote:The goddam shitsburg fans in Pensacola don't even laugh at the Browns and us fans anymore. The attitude is more like the sad look you would give a terminally ill patient. It sickens me to have to point out all of our successes prior to the merger and that 30 second period in the eighties when we pissed off the Broncos three times. I can't wait for the first game.

Rack the living hell out of that post General.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:08 am

Looks like the Canton Repository had a guy there.

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=3 ... tegoryID=0

UNIONTOWN Romeo Crennel is sworn to secrecy regarding the draft.

The Browns head coach did shed a little light Thursday on how certain things will look depending on who isn't the No. 3 overall pick April 28.

Speaking at the Northeast Ohio Celebrity Luncheon Club benefiting Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Crennel said JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn both have "outstanding ability" and are among five college stars his Browns might grab. What if they don't pluck one of those passers?

"Right now, Charlie (Frye) has a leg up for the starting job," Crennel said. "And Derek Anderson showed us enough that we have to give him a chance. So there will be a competition in training camp, and the best man will win."

Crennel ack`nowledged Wisconsin left tackle Joe Thomas is one of the draftable Big Five. If it's no go for Joe? Crennel is inclined to keep $49.5 million free agency pick-up Eric Steinbach at left guard.

"Normally that's what we'd like to do, because he's been a left guard," Crennel said. "As we get out there and see what the guys can do, you have to make that determination. Is it best to leave him there or to move him to left tackle?"

Kevin Shaffer, a $36 million free agency pick-up last year, came away from an up-and-down 2006 season saying his goal is to be a Pro Bowl left tackle.

"You want the kid to believe in himself," Crennel said. "If he doesn't, he won't be able to play at all, particularly against some of the people he has to face on that side.

"The fact he has the confidence and want-to is a plus. Time will tell how good a left tackle he'll be, because even though he was a left tackle in Atlanta, he was blocking for a left-handed quarterback (Michael Vick)."

Most left tackles make the big bucks because they protect righty QBs' blind sides.

Crennel seems encouraged by right tackle Ryan Tucker's recovery from mental issues that marred his 2006 season.

"Ryan is more healthy. He feels better," Crennel said. "Right now, things are going good, and we feel he's going to be able to play."

Penciled in as starters on the offensive line are Shaffer at left tackle, Steinbach at left guard, Hank Fraley at center and Tucker at right tackle. Injury-plagued center LeCharles Bentley is rehabbing in Arizona and will decide on another surgery "this spring."

"Another surgery basically eliminates him for this year," Crennel said. "If he doesn't have the surgery, I don't know if he'll be far enough along for us to count on."

Right guard is open.

"We have talked about the possibility of moving (Tucker) inside," Crennel said. "Do you basically weaken two spots by moving him inside? Or do you let him remain where he is - and he's a very good right tackle - and see if you can come up with someone else for that guard spot?"

The right guard candidates?

"We can move Joe Andruzzi over, and (2006 Round 4 pick) Isaac Sowells is a possibility, and so is (free agency pick-up) Seth McKinney," Crennel said.

Andruzzi, an 11th-year pro, started at left guard in 2005 and '06.

"Joe had some surgery to clean out particles in his knees," Crennel said. "He's beginning to run. He's lifting.

"The reason I got Joe here was he gives me everything he's got. ... Sometimes wear and tear takes its toll."

Crennel confirmed Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson is one of the Big Five. If Peterson isn't the pick, free agent Jamal Lewis would be the undisputed workhorse.

"He's a proven runner who has some straight-line speed," Crennel said. "He's a tough guy to tackle. We feel he will be a slight upgrade for us."

Calvin Johnson completes the Big Five. But if the Georgia Tech wideout isn't the one, Travis Wilson, a Round 3 pick last year, comes into focus. Wilson sat out 12 of the first 13 games and had two 16-yard catches in December. Why wasn't he used more?

"There were several guys in front of him," Crennel said. "Joe Jurevicius, Dennis Northcutt, Braylon Edwards, even (Joshua) Cribbs. They were a little bit further along than he was.

"I expect that this offseason he'll work much harder. He'll be better prepared to play than he was last season. For one thing, he held out."

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:55 am

The right guard candidates?

"We can move Joe Andruzzi over, and (2006 Round 4 pick) Isaac Sowells is a possibility, and so is (free agency pick-up) Seth McKinney," Crennel said.

Andruzzi, an 11th-year pro, started at left guard in 2005 and '06.

"Joe had some surgery to clean out particles in his knees," Crennel said. "He's beginning to run. He's lifting.

"The reason I got Joe here was he gives me everything he's got. ... Sometimes wear and tear takes its toll."

Is RAC irrationally in love w/ vets, or what?

Last year Andruzzi was, by far, the worst OLman starting not due to injury that I've seen here since Chenoine and Rehberg.

If we draft an OG, he should be cut nstead of keeping him over kids who can develop.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:16 am

I must admit, when Romeo was talking about Andruzzi, there was a inflection in his voice that seemed to admit he knew Joe was done.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 am

If they don't take a OL in the 1st (which I doubt they will), I would nigh shocked if they don't take one in the 2nd. There will be some very good guards still available at the top of the 2nd.

Unread postby yogi » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:04 pm

If they don't take a OL in the 1st (which I doubt they will), I would nigh shocked if they don't take one in the 2nd. There will be some very good guards still available at the top of the 2nd.

Yes, but there'll be a good chance also that a CB of 1st round talent will be there as well.

Another area of need.

The question at that point will be which position will still have quality talent at the beginning of the 3rd round?

Again, we trade down and we could answer both CB and OL needs.

What about DL? Shit!
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:48 pm

It's the old Savage 7 holes 5 fingers theory. Which is why it is so critical to trade down to get those picks....and still we're another FA/ draft away from achieving "some" sense of stability' /depth as ( Jesse Jackson voice), " We must realize those acquired will not necessarily transform into Pro-Bowlers, taking into consideration whiffs and succumbing to freakish, unnatural, paranormal, bizarre, and rare maladies. Lest we forget all the other teams are simultaneously attempting to improve also, and we only have so long before Al Davis and Matt Millen are gone."
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Kuiper » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:45 pm

pod2dawg wrote:It's the old Savage 7 holes 5 fingers theory. Which is why it is so critical to trade down to get those picks....and still we're another FA/ draft away from achieving "some" sense of stability' /depth as ( Jesse Jackson voice), " We must realize those acquired will not necessarily transform into Pro-Bowlers, taking into consideration whiffs and succumbing to freakish, unnatural, paranormal, bizarre, and rare maladies. Lest we forget all the other teams are simultaneously attempting to improve also, and we only have so long before Al Davis and Matt Millen are gone."

The problem with trading down is not just finding a trading partner who wants to pay you some draft picks, but someone who wants to pay an unproven rookie the kind of jack they'll expect to receive under the de facto salary scale for draft picks based on the previous year's salaries. Check out Peter King's Monday Mornnig QB today on SI.
Kuiper

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:17 pm

pod2dawg wrote:It's the old Savage 7 holes 5 fingers theory. Which is why it is so critical to trade down to get those picks....and still we're another FA/ draft away from achieving "some" sense of stability' /depth as ( Jesse Jackson voice), " We must realize those acquired will not necessarily transform into Pro-Bowlers, taking into consideration whiffs and succumbing to freakish, unnatural, paranormal, bizarre, and rare maladies. Lest we forget all the other teams are simultaneously attempting to improve also, and we only have so long before Al Davis and Matt Millen are gone."

When you say it in brother Jesse's voice silently to yourself, it really does take on more profound meaning....

"We must realize".....

Nice.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL