Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Yet another Dan Snyder special

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Yet another Dan Snyder special

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 pm

I want to preface this by saying that this is all my opinion, no matter how spirited. But this shit is insane to me....

This could really be a massive implosion waiting to happen. I've got my popcorn ready. :pop:

Two weeks after they caused an uproar by benching him in the final 1:50 of a loss to the Detroit Lions, the Redskins on Monday signed McNabb to a five-year contract extension worth $78 million -- giving top-grade money to a quarterback who is about to turn 34 and is having his worst season since he was a rookie.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5809694

Jesus H, are you flippin kidding me? Is there anyone (seriously asking here) that thinks this was a Shanahan decision? I can't see it personally. My money would be on the infamous Snyder audible and if so that is not going to sit well with Shanny if McNabb bombs.

And they are talking about these guys drafting a QB early this year? Really? You gonna lock up a cool 60-70 million GUARANTEED for the next 5 seasons at QB? 12-15 million per year on a rook and aging McNabb?

To truly appreciate the circus that is the Dan Snyder Franchise, you only need look at thier latest move. Its a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the franchise and will continue to be wrong with the franchise until Snyder steps the fuck off the gas.

Did he one-up bringing in a bingo hall manger to call plays in the middle of the season last year with this move?

You tell me....maybe they make me look stupid next season, I dont know.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Yet another Dan Snyder special

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 pm

There is nothing about that contract that makes any sense. Not a damn thing. I was stunned when I heard that.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 pm

In response, the Redskins have just spotted the Eagles 28 points in the first quarter.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:38 pm

They want to prove how good McNabb is. Comeback time, baby!!
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Dan Snyder. Amazing. Eagles sprint to a 35-0 lead to celebrate the signing.

Even the Cuban Messiah Pete Garcia thinks thats a bad signing.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 am

McNabb - three picks and a fumble halfway through the 3rd quarter. Eagles up 59-21.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 am

Someone needs to give number 7 40 mil guaranteed. Geezus
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby daddywags » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 am

Don't know the details, but in fairness to the Deadskins the TV announcers said the contract had something like $10 million guaranteed. Now, that might still be too much, but it's nothing but funny money (as usual in NFL dollars) being reported if true.
daddywags

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:39 am

daddywags wrote:Don't know the details, but in fairness to the Deadskins the TV announcers said the contract had something like $10 million guaranteed. Now, that might still be too much, but it's nothing but funny money (as usual in NFL dollars) being reported if true.

Well they said there MAY be a way for the skins to get out of it, but the deal is supposed to be for 40 million guaranteed.

I think what they meant was that it was for 5 years 40/78, but there was some clause or provision that may change the guaranteed dollars

We will see when the deal details get out.

Here is the best article on it I could find, still pretty vague but gives an idea of the factors at hand:

Collective bargaining agreement complicates McNabb deal
By Jason Reid

The agent for Donovan McNabb disputed an ESPN report that the contract extension the quarterback agreed to Monday has been available to him for some time.

"Nah, that's not" accurate, Fletcher N. Smith III said while addressing reporters Monday night in the FedEx Field press box before the Redskins played the Philadelphia Eagles.

"In October, we were quite a ways away on average per year, as well as guarantees, as well as some of the language as well. We were working at it at that time. But, no, we weren't close to a deal in October."

ESPN's Adam Schefter, reported that sources familiar with the situation said the deal had been on the table for weeks. Initial reports indicated McNabb's five-year extension was worth $78 million, including $40 million guaranteed.

But a league source said the contract is structured in a way that McNabb is not guaranteed $40 million at the time of signing. And in an interview before the group session in the press box, Fletcher seemed to acknowledge that the reports of the $40 million guarantee were not accurate.

"Because of the uncertainty with the CBA [collective bargaining agreement] and the potential for a lockout, most of these deals are structured in the same way," Smith said. "It's no different from almost any other deal that's been negotiated since, I guess, the beginning of the season, really. So we kind of mirrored some of the language that's already been in place."

While meeting with the group, Fletcher seemed to indicate the deal has vesting options that would ultimately determine the final guarantee.

"Not many of these deals are guaranteed for skill at the time of signing, just because of the CBA and the uncertainty of the CBA," Smith said. "So most of them are locked in at a future date. That's just the nature of the beast given the CBA and the potential for a lockout next year."

Smith repeated that he remained confident McNabb would sign an extension despite the controversy stemming from Coach Mike Shanahan's decision to bench McNabb in the final 1 minute 50 seconds of the 37-25 loss to the Detroit Lions in Week 8.

"Donovan is a professional. This is not the first bit of adversity that he's had to deal with," Smith said. "And as you all saw, he handled it with much dignity and class, as he's done all of his career. So it was a small blip on the radar.

"We put it behind us. He put it behind him. I asked him if he wanted to be here, and he said that he loved it here, loves his teammates, loves the city and the fans have embraced him and the organization as well. As long as he was happy here, it made it easy for us to get it done."

Fletcher revealed that this was the "target week" to reach a deal. Eric Schaffer, Washington's vice president of football administration, primarily handled negotiations on behalf of the team, Smith said. Bruce Allen, executive vice president and general manager, "would drop in from time to time and add a few words."
JCoz

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Maybe this deal was brokered by Ashton Kutcher and will be on Punk'd as a season ending episode starring Dan Snyder and D. McNabb. :bunny: Ted Stepien even thought this deal was bad. :pigs:

Should McNabb be cut at end of this season, he would only be paid $3.75 million:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5812371
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby scott » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 pm

fundamentals wrote:Should McNabb be cut at end of this season, he would only be paid $3.75 million:

Shanny's got the rest of this season to convince Snyder that McNabb is not the answer and he should throw a ton of cash at Vick. I expect to see Redskin gameplans that work against McNabb for the next few weeks.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Speaking of Vick, looks like his teammates were excited by his play last night

realfreemancbs DeSean Jackson said the Eagles were like "Pit Bulls ready to get out of the cage." Um...DeSean...
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Retweeted by daldridgetnt and 8 others
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Nice to know that other cities have it worse than us.

Gods, I love being able to write that.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm

fundamentals wrote:Maybe this deal was brokered by Ashton Kutcher and will be on Punk'd as a season ending episode starring Dan Snyder and D. McNabb. :bunny: Ted Stepien even thought this deal was bad. :pigs:

Should McNabb be cut at end of this season, he would only be paid $3.75 million:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5812371

But that's all the choices they have, right?

If they don't cut him or trade him in the offseason, this deal is every bit as bad as initially thought.

This offseason part of this is weird.
JCoz

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:21 pm

scott wrote:
fundamentals wrote:Should McNabb be cut at end of this season, he would only be paid $3.75 million:

Shanny's got the rest of this season to convince Snyder that McNabb is not the answer and he should throw a ton of cash at Vick. I expect to see Redskin gameplans that work against McNabb for the next few weeks.

He needs the blame for the teams offensive woes to be directed at McNabb, and not his precious little son - the offensive coordinator. Who apparently can't adjust his methods according to the players he has. No way Shanny lets his boy take the fall.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:12 pm

scott wrote:

Why would you be inclined to think Vick is going anywhere?

Certainly Kolbs contract will not force thier hand in the slightest...

Kolb - 4/29/2010: Signed a two-year, $12.25 million contract. The deal, fully guaranteed, included a $10.7 million signing bonus. 2010: $715,000, 2011: $1.392 million, 2012: Free Agent
JCoz

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL