Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Cut Eric Wight

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Cut Eric Wight

Unread postby statmasta » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:41 pm

he's responsible for..what...3 losses now?

he serves no purpose
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Re: Cut Eric Wight

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:51 pm

jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Might be my irrational hate, but seems like every back breaking play(on defense), is because of this guy. Nothing you can do today with Brown out, lack of depth, but gawd...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby statmasta » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Orenthal wrote:Might be my irrational hate, but seems like every back breaking play(on defense), is because of this guy. Nothing you can do today with Brown out, lack of depth, but gawd...

At least we have a winner in Joe Haden. He held Braylon to 1 catch when he was on him today.

If Eric Wright continues to start over Joe Haden, ...well, I don't know...but it shouldn't happen.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby yogi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Stupid take.

He gave up 1 catch and a PI all day?

The last play he shoulda had the tackle, so should have Barton. And so shoulda TJ Ward, everyone's hero.

Wright should not be your scapegoat.

There is no need for one. The Browns played a very very good Jets team when they came to play and gave them everything they could take.

Bravo Mangini and the Browns!
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Lucky that Folk missed that chip shot. Wright had the back on that play, 3rd and 3, allowed the back 2 yards past the sticks, and was five yards beyond that...

I don't want to be an ass, but to me it seems he is always picked on, always gives up the play in front of him, and while it may not always result in a huge play seems its always him on a 3rd down conversion.

Was it the reason we lost? It is never one guys problem when 22 people compose the two sides of the ball, but its also far from a bad take.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Wrong

It should never have come down to that.

The goat is a 98 lb weakling who goes by the name of Chansi Stuckey
Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Of course... This isn't a one game thing for me, and I had refrained from getting on any kind of crusade during the early season, but I am just about tipping point'd out with Wright.
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:31 pm

No it is Eric Wright.

Regardless of whether it should have came to that or not, it did, he didn't, again.

He's cost us 3 games by himself. He serves one purpose, line him up as a blitzing DB, otherwise shoot him. I'll do it, give me the gun, give me immunity. Hell just put me in the same windowless, exit less room, I'll beat him to a pulp and then eat him. No charge, no mess.

He's is not a football player, and for all intents and purposes he is gay, so there is no use for him on the Browns anymore.

[/story]
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:50 pm

FUDU wrote: Hell just put me in the same windowless, exit less room, I'll beat him to a pulp and then eat him. He's is not a football player, and for all intents and purposes he is gay, so there is no use for him on the Browns anymore.

Not sure what to say to this....

Are you what you eat?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:08 am

Cut him where? the throat or across the belly?
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 am

Terrible take.

Coverage was great today, and we should have had 3-4 coverage sacks if the D linemen could wrap up Sanchez. Holmes and Edwards were pretty much non-factors throughout the game.

Wright has played poorly in a number of games this season, but this wasn't one of them. If you going to rip him for the final play, you better rip everyone's all american in TJ Ward...he's the one who really whiffed on the tackle.
Last edited by JacksonDysonJackson on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:19 am

Santonio Holmes must have been watching a different game then all the bad take guys...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... rowns.html

"He did it the whole game and I kind of went to my O.C. Brian Schottenheimer and told him, 'coach I need a slant route on 21 [Wright] at some point in this game because he's giving me too much leverage.' We hadn't run a slant all game and we caught it at the perfect time."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 am

Just to clarify. I can't get in the mind of the OP, but my take is that this isn't a one play situation. I also wouldn't cut Wright, what are you going to replace him with? More or less this seemed like the thread to vent my season long frustration with a soft player. Whether its allowing too much cushion, never looking back for the ball, or just tackling like a girl, the guy needs upgraded.

He did play poorly this this, just not bad enough to be singled out as the reason we lost. Woohoo! That is quite an endorsement.
Orenthal

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:02 am

Not sure how that Holmes comment adds to the argument that he should be cut or that he cost us the game...or even that he played poorly. Look, I understand Cleveland fans always need a whipping boy, and Wright has played poorly this season, but I just can't see the hate after yesterday's game. As a matter of fact, he saved the game with an open field tackle earlier in OT IIRC.

Does anyone really think their WRs killed us yesterday? Sanchez had all day to throw and Holmes and Edwards still didnt have big games.

You want whipping boys? Here's the list:

- Stuckey
- Daboll; for the terrible play-calling after the Cribbs catch and run to the 3.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:20 am

Watching that play again this morning and it's tough to totally blame Wright. Give credit to the Jets for calling a slant at that time. Both Browns corners were backpedaling at the snap and the throw was made before Wright could adjust to the route. Barton was frozen for a second as he had to account for Tomlinson coming out of the back field. Ward took a bad path to the ball, but it looks like he was lined up towards the outside to prevent a sideline pattern, which is where I expected the Jets to go considering the earlier Pass Interference call earlier on a Wright/Holmes play. It was the right call at the right time and the Browns were caught dropping their corners instead of crowding the LOS.

I am surprised that the OP only called out Wright. Based on his comments in the game thread, the entire D should be shipped outta here.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:28 am

If Stuckey steps out of bounds the Jets never touch the ball again and no, I'm not going to give him props for trying to force his way thru 3 defensive players after he gets a first down with the outcome of the game on the line

He's stupid.... its not about Hillis or Mangini setting a tone...Its about "I Want to be the Star, too" overtaking situational awareness

...but yeah, I'm happy as heck with thee way they're playing
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby trsteve1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am

I don't think we have the depth to outright cut Wright.. should we bench him? YES. Throw Haden in there and see what he can do on a weekly basis... (though, that may be necessary depending on the severity of Brown's injury)... at this point, we gotta hang on to Wright for the simple fact that we don't have enough in the defensive secondary..

As far as blaming it on Stuckey.. it is his fault, and he knows it.. wouldn't want to be him right now.. that's tough. He made the first guy miss, great move. Shoulda ducked out of bounds after that when the 2nd guy hit him, yea.. But he was making a football play, and took a risk and paid for it.. Hopefully this is one of those mistakes that will make us better as this team learns how to win consistently. We need to learn to minimize our mistakes, especially during crucial moments. We will get there, just don't throw anyone under the bus (yet).
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 pm

I think most of you misunderstand the get rid of Easy E crowd.

The guy cannot tackle, he lacks any semblance of a physical game, if you are a defensive player and cannot tackle you simply do not belong in the NFL, period. The are very few and rare exceptions, first one that comes to mind is Dion. Dion was one of the best cover corners in history and was an elite punt returner and play maker. Until Wright can do boaf or one of those things there is no justification for him to be in uniform.

I don't care how thin we are, grab a DB off the wire, anybody who can lower his shoulder and tackle at a clip of 25% is better than Eric Wright.

If the Browns insist on using him then use him as a blitzing corner, b/c that is the only thing he contributes to this D. What's he given up 6 TD catches, a few game winners too boot, and he only scratches and claws at the pile as it goes down.

Fuck him.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm

How can you justify keeping a man who got burnt for a 1st down by a reciever who pulled up lame before Sanchez even looked his way?
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be defending Eric Fucking Wright this season, but the hate on him about yesterday's game is so irrational it boggles the mind. He didn't play bad yesterday. At all. As a matter of fact, I posit that he actually played pretty damn good considering the caliber of receiver he was up against and the fact that Sanchez had time to eat a ham sammich every time he dropped back.

On the last play, I'll give you that he had poor technique...you can't let Holmes get inside of you there. But tackling? Ward blew that one, guys.

Tackling in general? I can't recall poor tackling by him at all yesterday. (Set aside the fact that he saved the game yesterday earlier in OT on his open field tackle of Greene.)

On the Cotchery play? He had good coverage (set aside the fact Sanchez had all day to thow again) and the receiver made an unbelieveable catch. That's not on him.

Wright has played bad in many games this year...but yesterday wasn't one of those games.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:32 pm

That_Guy™ wrote:How can you justify keeping a man who got burnt for a 1st down by a reciever who pulled up lame before Sanchez even looked his way?

That was an amazing throw and an even more amazing catch. No one could have covered that. And while he isn't good, he still starts over the #1 draft pick and anyone else on the team. That should tell you what's behind him. Can't cut him until you can replace him. See Peralta, Jhonny.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Can't cut him, probably can't even bench him (Brown out, he would still be slot DB), not blaming the loss on him, but he did not have a good day yesterday. I pointed to the 3rd and 3, posted the snippet, and have a pretty good sample size of early season crap.

He is horrible, but there is nothing you can do. I won't watch that game again, but maybe it would help others. Guy doesn't have to have a Roddy White game put on him to have a horrible game giving up 3rd down conversions.
Orenthal

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 pm

OJ --

not blaming the loss on him, but he did not have a good day yesterday. I pointed to the 3rd and 3, posted the snippet, and have a pretty good sample size of early season crap.

Of course the "pretty good sample size of early season crap" has nothing to do with an assessment of his play yesterday...since that was the discussion. And I'm going to take the Holmes comment with a huge grain of salt...since its from the diva receiver he was defending. Again, not many are bringing concrete examples of his bad play from yesterday, but I'm done talking about Easy.

Agree to disagree?
JacksonDysonJackson

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL