Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Reeplacement for Ryan?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 am

I agree with Benz, had the same conversation earlier this week with a friend, this team probably won't do well enough to make the playoffs, but it seems likely that we will do well enough to lose our D coordinator.

And I think Mangini is fresh out of Patriots coaches to poach.

I mean certainly its still not guaranteed everything ends the way it looks now, but for purposes of discussion lets say we finish around 8-8 and feel pretty good about it.

I would think its customary for Ryan to take his guys with him as well, so does anyone have a beat on which directions Mangini might look to fill that position?
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 am

The list outside of the organization is infinite, but if they decide to promote from within with a guy that has been learning the Rob Ryan/Eric Mangini way from the inside, here are the possibilities:

Bryan Cox
Defensive Line Coach

Matt Eberflus
Linebackers Coach

Jerome Henderson
Defensive Backs Coach

None of which jumps out at you (although Cox would be interesting, but I doubt he's qualified at this point).

I hear Wade Phillips is available.

Marvin Lewis might be too. He ran a 3-4 in Baltimore.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:46 am

We might need to consider some of the nams Hiko put down as internal options are likely to end up in larger roles wherever Ryan lands too.

Don't even wanna consider all this til the year plays out.

I'm looking up watching the fireworks and JCoz is lining me up for a ball punch. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:51 am

Are we even sure he WANTS to be a HC? He strikes me as the prototypical coordinator for life. I dont see Rob wanting to deal with the details of being a HC...seems to enjoy scheming on a weekly basis instead. I also don't see the "big time" personality that his twin has. JMO.
User avatar
JacksonDysonJackson
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Are we even sure he WANTS to be a HC? He strikes me as the prototypical coordinator for life. I dont see Rob wanting to deal with the details of being a HC...seems to enjoy scheming on a weekly basis instead. I also don't see the "big time" personality that his twin has. JMO.


He wants a top job. He's said it before and recently as well:

http://ztnewstoday.com/2010/11/10/rob-r ... ching-job/

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... interest/1

Could be smoke because you're supposed to want a top job I guess, but I don't think so. Not in that family.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Hikohadon wrote:The list outside of the organization is infinite, but if they decide to promote from within with a guy that has been learning the Rob Ryan/Eric Mangini way from the inside, here are the possibilities:

Bryan Cox
Defensive Line Coach

Matt Eberflus
Linebackers Coach

Jerome Henderson
Defensive Backs Coach

None of which jumps out at you (although Cox would be interesting, but I doubt he's qualified at this point).

I hear Wade Phillips is available.

Marvin Lewis might be too. He ran a 3-4 in Baltimore.


Unless we have one that Mangini likes for D-Coordinator and Ryan DOESN'T (which doesn't sound great to me), I would assume most of the talented ones there Ryan will take with him.

Anyone know how many of those guys came with Ryan off the Raiders staff?
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 pm

OK...

Who would want him as a HC and why?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Hikohadon wrote:The list outside of the organization is infinite, but if they decide to promote from within with a guy that has been learning the Rob Ryan/Eric Mangini way from the inside, here are the possibilities:

Bryan Cox
Defensive Line Coach

Matt Eberflus
Linebackers Coach

Jerome Henderson
Defensive Backs Coach

None of which jumps out at you (although Cox would be interesting, but I doubt he's qualified at this point).

I hear Wade Phillips is available.

Marvin Lewis might be too. He ran a 3-4 in Baltimore.


I don't know that it is infinite, Hiko.

I doubt Mangini would go outside the coaching tree he is most affiliated with for a D Coordinator....can't be just any 3-4 guy, right?

I wonder if Rex has any promising position coaches that might be qualified...

What a ridiculous advantage having a guy like lebaugh must be....IMO the Appalachian Hilljacks are fucked when he retires. Welcome back to reality.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:We might need to consider some of the nams Hiko put down as internal options are likely to end up in larger roles wherever Ryan lands too.

Don't even wanna consider all this til the year plays out.

I'm looking up watching the fireworks and JCoz is lining me up for a ball punch. ;-) ;) :wink:


It had to have struck you...vastly overachieving defense headed up by the twin brother of current media darling Rex Ryan, son of the legendary Buddy Ryan?

I just wanted to hold onto him for one more season, hopefully some of these teams go the retread route. There is certainly a chance he gets passed on for a year.....
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:OK...

Who would want him as a HC and why?


Have you looked as his resume? Its probably a bit more extensive than you think...
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:39 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:We might need to consider some of the nams Hiko put down as internal options are likely to end up in larger roles wherever Ryan lands too.

Don't even wanna consider all this til the year plays out.

I'm looking up watching the fireworks and JCoz is lining me up for a ball punch. ;-) ;) :wink:


It had to have struck you...vastly overachieving defense headed up by the twin brother of current media darling Rex Ryan, son of the legendary Buddy Ryan?

I just wanted to hold onto him for one more season, hopefully some of these teams go the retread route. There is certainly a chance he gets passed on for a year.....


Of course it 'struck' me. It strikes me that eating and drinking like a viking will have a cost the next day or week or decade too. I just don't wanna think about it while I'm enjoying the eating and drinking.

I have a pretty solid idea that given Mangini's pimped Ryan for a HC job and this way of life has been the way for 40 years in the NFL that they have a contingency plan. ;-) ;) :wink:

Just bustin' your stones JCoz. Let's eat, drink and be merry brother. For tomorrow we die.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 pm

color me a bit concerned

but I'm just wondering, if he did leave, this would instantly mean us reverting back to the bullshit RAC defenses of the '05-'08 seasons (IE zero pass rush?)

would we expect to see the same schemes, under say, a Bryan Cox (my personal favorite for the job, players seemed to love him like Ryan) led defense?

It really boils down to, who is more responsible for the play calling we've been seeing, Rob/Daboll/Seely or Mangini?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:We might need to consider some of the nams Hiko put down as internal options are likely to end up in larger roles wherever Ryan lands too.

Don't even wanna consider all this til the year plays out.

I'm looking up watching the fireworks and JCoz is lining me up for a ball punch. ;-) ;) :wink:


It had to have struck you...vastly overachieving defense headed up by the twin brother of current media darling Rex Ryan, son of the legendary Buddy Ryan?

I just wanted to hold onto him for one more season, hopefully some of these teams go the retread route. There is certainly a chance he gets passed on for a year.....


Of course it 'struck' me. It strikes me that eating and drinking like a viking will have a cost the next day or week or decade too. I just don't wanna think about it while I'm enjoying the eating and drinking.

I have a pretty solid idea that given Mangini's pimped Ryan for a HC job and this way of life has been the way for 40 years in the NFL that they have a contingency plan.
;-) ;) :wink:

Just bustin' your stones JCoz. Let's eat, drink and be merry brother. For tomorrow we die.


Oh I'm a happy camper Peek, and losing coordinators is usually a good sign. And you are probably right, was what you are saying about Mangini in those links you posted? That does make me feel like you are right on point...
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 pm

double post
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:13 pm

JCoz wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:OK...

Who would want him as a HC and why?


Have you looked as his resume? Its probably a bit more extensive than you think...


He was DC? of a losing Oakland team that has improved tremendously since he left and the best he could to to date was DC of the perennially losing Browns?

Other than TCF speculation and the man's own desires to be a HC, has his named been mentioned for any future vacancies by anyone with a smidgeon of a rep?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
JCoz wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:OK...

Who would want him as a HC and why?


Have you looked as his resume? Its probably a bit more extensive than you think...


He was DC? of a losing Oakland team that has improved tremendously since he left and the best he could to to date was DC of the perennially losing Browns?

Other than TCF speculation and the man's own desires to be a HC, has his named been mentioned for any future vacancies by anyone with a smidgeon of a rep?


Did you bother to read the bio on wiki or anything?

Oakland's D has improved so far this season, which probably has a good deal to do with the offense actually producing something, as for when he left it was 27th in total D, the year after it was 26th. Wow. Amazing improvement after getting rid of their stiff of a LBer coach. ::doh::

Jesus I'm not his agent dude, read the damn bio. Its solid. The Browns Defense is clearly overachieving, and Ryan is a hot name right now, you do the math.

That's pretty much the way it goes. You want to build a case as to why he isn't a real candidate for a HCing job? Be my guest, I'd love to hear something substantial.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:38 pm

He wants a top job. He's said it before and recently as well:

http://ztnewstoday.com/2010/11/10/rob-r ... ching-job/

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... interest/1


Egg on my face, thanks
User avatar
JacksonDysonJackson
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:06 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:He wants a top job. He's said it before and recently as well:

http://ztnewstoday.com/2010/11/10/rob-r ... ching-job/

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... interest/1


Egg on my face, thanks


Nah. I just remember the Oakland thing because Cable still held the position and it was considered somewhat 'bad form' by Rob Ryan to stump for a job that had an owner.

:thumb up:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22758
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm not trying to build a case for why he isn't. I'm looking for evidence based on, at a minimum, interest or conversation of him actually being considered right now and so far no one has produced anythat would lead one to believe your speculation has any value

Esp at this point in the season

If the Jets flounder in an epic fashion, which I speculate as more highly possible than Our Ryan's departure, then I also speculate The Twin Factor will work against Rob's chances...

As for the family coaching tree, it states quite dramatically the Ryan's are best left to defense only. Buddy never won shit as a HC and for comparison's sake just look no further than Bum and his bum of a son

IMSpeculation, he's at the least 2 successful seasons away, including the balance of this one and I'm not sure why you're so defensive about someone challenging your OPINION when you haven't provided any links to any interest

I get all the reasons you started this nonsense but, "Where's the beef?"

In the meantime, I speculate Rob's worst nitemare would be the Browns winning a shoot-out and McCoy being game MVP
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I'm not trying to build a case for why he isn't. I'm looking for evidence based on, at a minimum, interest or conversation of him actually being considered right now and so far no one has produced anythat would lead one to believe your speculation has any value

Esp at this point in the season

If the Jets flounder in an epic fashion, which I speculate as more highly possible than Our Ryan's departure, then I also speculate The Twin Factor will work against Rob's chances...

As for the family coaching tree, it states quite dramatically the Ryan's are best left to defense only. Buddy never won shit as a HC and for comparison's sake just look no further than Bum and his bum of a son

IMSpeculation, he's at the least 2 successful seasons away, including the balance of this one and I'm not sure why you're so defensive about someone challenging your OPINION when you haven't provided any links to any interest

I get all the reasons you started this nonsense but, "Where's the beef?"

In the meantime, I speculate Rob's worst nitemare would be the Browns winning a shoot-out and McCoy being game MVP


At this point in the season, its just speculation, try reading my original post, I state assumptions for the rest of the season. It's just conversation, dick.

Look let me make this simple. I don't need to sell you on Rob. I'm not hiring NFL coaches. There are some reasons to suggest he gets a long look this offseason. I've given them. If YOU want to give some substantial reasons why Rob Ryan is less qualified than the majority of recent NFL hires, I'm all for that. Understand?

I would prefer to keep him, so its not my job to sell him to you as a HC. This nonsense I started was about his possible replacement, not his merits as a HCing candidate.

Its a copy cat league. I agree that his brother could work against him if the Jets implode. Again, my question was assuming that he got a job, not arguing for him to get a promotion.
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm not worried about the defense as long as Mangini is here. If anything, I think Ryan's become a better DC due to his association with Mangini rather than the other way around.
daddywags
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby papacass » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:13 pm

You realize the '10 Browns could be responsible for staffing three NFL teams with head coaches in '11? If Mangini stays here, Holmgren leaves to scratch his itch on a veteran contender and Ryan gets his shot, that's two of a possible seven or eight coaching hires that could be made across the league after the season, in additon to Mangini's job.

All from a team that still might top out at just 8-8. The Pats had to start winning Super Bowls before they got poached like that.
Last edited by papacass on Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby papacass » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:14 pm

daddywags wrote:I'm not worried about the defense as long as Mangini is here. If anything, I think Ryan's become a better DC due to his association with Mangini rather than the other way around.


That is an interesting, and possibly excellent, take.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Reeplacement for Ryan?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 am

JCoz wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:The list outside of the organization is infinite, but if they decide to promote from within with a guy that has been learning the Rob Ryan/Eric Mangini way from the inside, here are the possibilities:

Bryan Cox
Defensive Line Coach

Matt Eberflus
Linebackers Coach

Jerome Henderson
Defensive Backs Coach

None of which jumps out at you (although Cox would be interesting, but I doubt he's qualified at this point).

I hear Wade Phillips is available.

Marvin Lewis might be too. He ran a 3-4 in Baltimore.


Unless we have one that Mangini likes for D-Coordinator and Ryan DOESN'T (which doesn't sound great to me), I would assume most of the talented ones there Ryan will take with him.

Anyone know how many of those guys came with Ryan off the Raiders staff?


Not sure about that. Remember, Cox was brought here by Mangini, not Ryan.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests