Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Playoffs?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Playoffs?

Unread postby Caveman93 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Just wondering what people think the browns need to do to get back in it. It isnt over until the fat lady sings, and after the jets, the schedule eases up. Teams like the Pats routinely win over 5 in a row each year, so whose to say the browns won't win out? Its just too bad they couldnt pull out of a couple games earlier in the season with wins... :gah: ::doh::
Coach, in meetings he had, he had all the new guys stand up. It was almost the whole team ... We’re not the old Browns, we’re a new team, refreshed - new quarterback, new president, new everything and we’re ready to play some football.
– Josh Cribbs
Caveman93

Favorite Player: Payed the Man
Least Favorite Player: LePrick

Re: Playoffs?

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:35 pm

IMO you cant discuss it until you get to .500 at worse 6-6. There is no playoff shot at 9-7, must be 6-6 or better to have a prayer. The odds are long, but not impossible. The three toughest games are all at home. So we have that going for us.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Talk to me Sunday at 5pm.

Check that. No then.

maybe Monday evening.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:43 pm

They need to go into the last two games at 9-5 IMO.
This team is full of castaways with chips on their shoulders. Colt, Peyton, Watson, Mangini....among several others.

Point being they hold less of a risk to get full of themselves and lazy should they keep this train rolling next weekend.

The Defense seems to be getting better. The Offensive line has found its stride again, and Colt seems to be getting better. There is allot on the line next weekend.

Win and the Browns will be playoff contenders in the NFL in 2010. Lose and be relegated to spoiler and solid improvement status.

Either way, I just want to see the same effort by the team and coaches on Sunday.

I actually think we matchup ok with these Jets. If Brady and Brees couldn't figure us out and get a rhythm, I wouldn't expect Sanchez to either. Strength vs Strength with their rushing D against our rushing O.

This seems like an extremely low scoring affair with a couple key plays deciding the game. The only big advantage I see for the Jets is the receivers vs our DB's. But we know bray, and Sanchez is not Manning. One key matchup may be Rubin vs Mangold.

Should be a great game.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby yogi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

As said earlier, need to win 3 outta next 4 minimum and be 6-6 and staring at last 4 games.

With that said, I'd also start rooting for the NFC to win practically every matchup aginst AFC Contenders.

At least we are all geeked watching our guys improve and a young QB grow up!
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Gotta win this week. Got to. Then it becomes worth talking about.

AFC is so much better of a conference ... has won more of the AFC vs NFC matchups. Chances are ... 10 wins will be needed. After the Steelers win tonight (Browns fans should be cheering for the Bengals) ... playoff teams will be:

Patriots 6-2
Ravens 6-2
Titans 5-3
Chiefs 5-3

With the Jets and Steelers the wild cards at 6-2. Colts at 5-3 (will likely win 10 games). And thats not even mentioning the slew of teams at 5-4, 4-4, and 4-5 ahead of the Browns.

Makes those losses to the Bucs and Chiefs hurt bad. Also turns out those teams were better than we thought they would be.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Interesting to note that every team we've played this season was a playoff team last year or in advantagous position to be one this season. Plus after 8 games there has still only been 1 game in which we didn't have a 4th quarter lead.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 pm

The 2010 Cavs and the 2010 Browns are so much alike in this one respect....

There will be days when they are just simply out-talented, and they will lose some of those games. But it is increasingly obvious with both teams that they are going to show up and play with smarts and heart and emotion and max-effort in every game.

That alone is reason enough to rally behind them until the talent catches up with the spirit...and the coaching.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:11 pm

jb wrote:Talk to me Sunday at 5pm.

Check that. No then.

maybe Monday evening.

We beat the Jets... I hear ya. Got to go Tuesday here. Being at the game and all, I can liken it to only the ATL game if we pull it off. Last year after PIT was great but too damn cold. This Sunday evening could be worth the past decade...

Still I am going to be so drunk and hungover into Monday (mandatory call off will take place at 5 pm) that I don't want to have to think until Tuesday am.

Unless the thinking on Sunday involves Taco Bell vs. Wendys for evening drunken meal.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Not a chance unfortunately

looking at the AFC at the moment we'd have to go 11-5 that's 8-1 the rest of the way to claim a wild card spot realistically
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Not a chance unfortunately

looking at the AFC at the moment we'd have to go 11-5 that's 8-1 the rest of the way to claim a wild card spot realistically

8-0, and honestly I don't think the chances of winning a WC are very good, better odds of winning the division and those are bad odds as well.

We'd need some help, starting with Cinci tonight.

Impossible? No. Still, if the teams keeps playing like this it will be the best browns season I've ever witnessed.

I'd love to fight all year and end it by serving some notice to the Ratbirds and Steelers that the Browns are back. That is very possible.

Serve notice, get another injection of talent in April, and enter the 2011 season knowing if they stay the course we can beat anyone.

Game on.
JCoz

Unread postby Magic Brownies » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Playoffs?

Possible..... Yes

Probable..... I don't know......... I think the 0-3 start nipped that in the bud.

At worst we would have to go 7-1 in our final 8. And even then its not guaranteed. AFC is very tough. Wild card might be tougher than winning the division. Lets take a look at remaing schedules:

BROWNS(3-5 OVERALL, 1-2 DIV):
NYJ, @JAC, CAR, @MIA, @BUF, @CIN, BAL, PIT

STEELERS(5-2,1-1)
@CIN, NE, OAK, @BUF, @BAL, CIN, NYJ, CAR, @CLE

RAVENS(6-2, 2-1)
@ATL, @CAR, TB, PIT, @HOU, NO, @CLE, CIN

OK, lets assume that Pittsburgh wins tonight. Ravens and Steelers would both be 6-2, 2-1 in DIvision. And lets say we do in fact go 7-1 in our final 8, while winning the final 3 divisional games to finish 10-6, 4-2 in Division. Thats our best shot.

-If Baltimore loses their final 3 divisional games, We would only "need" them to lose one of the other 5 they have left. Then they would finish 10-6, 2-4 in division

-If Pittsburgh wins tonight, and then beats the ravens, loses to CIncy next time, and loses to us at the end of the year, they would finish 3-3 in division. And we would only "need" them to lose 2 of the other 5 remaining. They would finish 10-6, 3-3 in division

And with both situations, the head to head would be tied, so our divisional record would trump theirs and we would win the North. :cheers:

Playoffs?............. Playoffs?
Magic Brownies

Favorite Player: Run for the Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Rapistberger

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:03 pm

JCoz wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Not a chance unfortunately

8-0, and honestly I don't think the chances of winning a WC are very good, better odds of winning the division and those are bad odds as well.

We'd need some help, starting with Cinci tonight.

Impossible? No. Still, if the teams keeps playing like this it will be the best browns season I've ever witnessed.

I'd love to fight all year and end it by serving some notice to the Ratbirds and Steelers that the Browns are back. That is very possible.

Serve notice, get another injection of talent in April, and enter the 2011 season knowing if they stay the course we can beat anyone.

Game on.

Yes 8-0 sorry
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:05 pm

You bitches is crazy.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:50 pm

The best teams in the NFL have gone 6-2 in the first half of the season. Let's say the Browns are suddenly the best team in the NFL now. They go 6-2 in the second half and finish 9-7. No chance for the playoffs with that record in the AFC.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Please stop this thread.

Be happy if the browns win 7 games this year and have a season to build on. Don't ratchet up your expecations. Just be cool.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:Please stop this thread.

Be happy if the browns win 7 games this year and have a season to build on. Don't ratchet up your expecations. Just be cool.

Like I said upthread, all I want to this team to keep playing as hard as they can, and give the Ratbirds and Steelers hell the last two weeks of the season.
JCoz

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Hard to blame people for being excited with the way the Browns have played the last two weeks.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:14 am

Playoffs!?! Playoffs!?! PLAYOFFS!!!

No way. I'd be happy if the beat Shittsburg and the Ratbirds and finish with 6 or 7 wins. We got many holes to fill.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:50 am

I thought this team would go 6-10 or 7-9. I'm more in the 7-9 to 8-8 camp now after we'd won 2 games I thought we'd lose (then again, I thought we'd win one of the first two games).

If we can take care of business against Jax, Carolina, Buffalo, and the Bengals again, I'd be happy. If we steal one of the games with the Jets, Miami, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, I'd be ecstatic. Steal two... catatonic. This team has already stolen two games I didn't expect it to win.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

Somebody had to. It was necesarry.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 am

Why not, man?

maybe not "expectations" as i don't expect playoffs, but I am now done putting a ceiling on this team after what I've seen. Never thought they were all that "bad" across the board when they were down. Thought they were mising some key pieces, but I could see we were beting ourselves or losing no more than 3 - 6 key plays a game resulting in L's.

Turns out the new D players have now come together, Rogers got a little healthy, Hillis is who Peeker thought he was, and we are finally getting mediocre mistake free QB play if not better.

I am not expecting playoffs. But I am done expecting losses and the easiest part of the schedule awaits after one more key test to this 4 game gauntlet of many of the best in the league.

Not bloody likely, but possible with a win Sunday. Shit can happen to other teams, too.

Manning could finally go down if a big fatty rolls his knee. Then the Colts go winless.

Randy Moss could hurt Vince Young's feelings and he quits on the team.

Big Ben decides he needs to howl at the moon and porks a chubby underaged girl and she goes to the hospital to get the twelve 4 Lokos pumped out of her stomach and he's busted, so he rides his crotch rocket off the Ft Dusquane bridge in a final rock bottom act.

Shit can happen. We could benefit.

Not like karma don't owe us like as if it's Art Schiester circa 1990.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 am

I agree, it isn't about expecting success, but the tide has turned and now we can expect to have our say in every ball game. W-L are all that matters but you can take away little bits of info from other stats like the schedule you've played and the point differential. No team sees us on their schedule and looks forward to a visit to Cleveland anymore, and they'll all admit it now, except for Hines.

We're building up to our own get him a body bag moment.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL