Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Brownies V. Pats game thread

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Brownies V. Pats game thread

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 am

With the NFL cracking down on overly-physical play, I thought there were going to be a couple calls today.

I was looking for a couple of helmet-to-helmet calls that were delivered to Colt McCoy today. But then I realized those were head-butts being delivered by his own teammates after he scored on his diving touchdown run. 'Hey guys, don't hurt him!!'

And then I thought we were going to get an unnecessary roughness call, but then I realized it was Thomas chest bumping Daball.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:44 am

peeker643 wrote:Clearly not your day when EZ E out hustles and out mans you.

:fu:

Fixed.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 am

wiz1001 wrote:Enough with the Gatorade showers for coaches though, OK?

Act like you've been there, and all that.

+ 1

And I thought it was stupid in 86 , too .

( see, we can agree on something )
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 am

Commodore Perry wrote:
jb wrote:whisperwhisperplayoffspossiblewhisperwhisper

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

its not at all crazy to see them going 4-4 to close out at 7-9.

CP - I;'m gonna kick myself and punt on the heart of a piece with a spoiler post, but look at the schedule and ask yourself the following questions:

- Do you automatically cross off a W every Sunday anymore?

- Can we run the ball?

- can Clt manage games well now, and make a play here and there to get over?

- Can Colt get better?

- Has the D come together in a manner befitting of witchcraft?

OK, let's go to the film for the previews:

Jets, Jags, Panthers, Dolphins, Bills over the next 5 games.

Given that playing in FLA in Dec freaks me out a little bit ( scarred by 85?) from a conditioning stand point, the game vs the Jets is now the biggest in club memory since the epic DA failure vs Cincy in 07. We win this game, and I see 4 wins in the next 5 games.

That's 7 - 6 heading into Cincy, B-more, and Pittsburgh. Crack/STD more is at home as is Pittsburgh.

I don't know that 9 - 7 gets it done this year, but maybe the AFC West can cannibalize itself and either the Colts or Bullheads can hit the skids.

Give me 7 - 6 in mid December at home with the physiclity of this bunch and I'll take my chances.

Thing is; it all strats Sunday.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 am

jb wrote:

+ 1

That act "killed" in the late 80's as they say in the comedy world.

A fact, unforunately, not lost on the family of the legendary George Allen.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 am

Browns would have to find a way to either win out or not lose a game in order to make the playoffs. Also, they'd need the Inbred and/or Rats to make some slip ups and I don't see that happening.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:41 am

pup wrote:<---------------

Finally running out of room.

And to think they've done it without Jerome Harrison ;-) ;) :wink:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 am

mattvan1 wrote:
pup wrote:<---------------

Finally running out of room.

And to think they've done it without Jerome Harrison ;-) ;) :wink:

At least Walrus let them stop throwing the ball 35 times a game. ;-) ;) :wink:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 am

jb wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:
jb wrote:whisperwhisperplayoffspossiblewhisperwhisper

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

its not at all crazy to see them going 4-4 to close out at 7-9.

CP - I;'m gonna kick myself and punt on the heart of a piece with a spoiler post, but look at the schedule and ask yourself the following questions:

- Do you automatically cross off a W every Sunday anymore?

- Can we run the ball?

- can Clt manage games well now, and make a play here and there to get over?

- Can Colt get better?

- Has the D come together in a manner befitting of witchcraft?

OK, let's go to the film for the previews:

Jets, Jags, Panthers, Dolphins, Bills over the next 5 games.

Given that playing in FLA in Dec freaks me out a little bit ( scarred by 85?) from a conditioning stand point, the game vs the Jets is now the biggest in club memory since the epic DA failure vs Cincy in 07. We win this game, and I see 4 wins in the next 5 games.

That's 7 - 6 heading into Cincy, B-more, and Pittsburgh. Crack/STD more is at home as is Pittsburgh.

I don't know that 9 - 7 gets it done this year, but maybe the AFC West can cannibalize itself and either the Colts or Bullheads can hit the skids.

Give me 7 - 6 in mid December at home with the physiclity of this bunch and I'll take my chances.

Thing is; it all strats Sunday.
I know you're probably gonna spasm in reply JB but hear me out.

I know it sounds weird/wrong but I am not so sure I want to see us win that many more games (this season). Yeah it feels good, real good when they do in the likes of the teams we've recently beat, and yeah I know the philosophy of you take success whenever you can get it. Despite all that I feel we are better served with one of the higher picks in this draft to try to obtain a real special player for the long run. This isn't 2002 to me, where it felt like I was so thirsty I had to drink the first drop of water I saw. I've learned to ration now. Nobody here is saying we'd be tough out in the post season but for me I'd rather have the pick than a Rd 1 exit that would be most likely. I think Mangini has created an atmosphere strong enough to handle a disappointing season in terms of W-L that would not be ruined if we only won 2-3 more games.

IMO this team knows they can play, they believe in themselves and each other and it was all evident yesterday when they busted out the hugging and chest bumping.

6-10, good draft, make a historic double up in the win column next year, and be waiting a week to find out who your first playoff opponent will be.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 am

You really see this team wiing only 3 more games?

With Car-Jax and the Bills on the schedule?

FU DU.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 am

jb wrote:You really see this team wiing only 3 more games?

With Car-Jax and the Bills on the schedule?

FU DU.

Hoping.

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:15 am

FUDU wrote: I know you're probably gonna spasm in reply JB but hear me out.

I know it sounds weird/wrong but I am not so sure I want to see us win that many more games (this season). Yeah it feels good, real good when they do in the likes of the teams we've recently beat, and yeah I know the philosophy of you take success whenever you can get it. Despite all that I feel we are better served with one of the higher picks in this draft to try to obtain a real special player for the long run. This isn't 2002 to me, where it felt like I was so thirsty I had to drink the first drop of water I saw. I've learned to ration now. Nobody here is saying we'd be tough out in the post season but for me I'd rather have the pick than a Rd 1 exit that would be most likely. I think Mangini has created an atmosphere strong enough to handle a disappointing season in terms of W-L that would not be ruined if we only won 2-3 more games.

IMO this team knows they can play, they believe in themselves and each other and it was all evident yesterday when they busted out the hugging and chest bumping.

6-10, good draft, make a historic double up in the win column next year, and be waiting a week to find out who your first playoff opponent will be.

The only problem is at 6-10 Mangini gets whacked, Ryan bolts, and Walrus waddles the sidelines. Giant step backwards IMO. This isn't the NBA where you must be in the Top 3 or 4. Just win baby.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby statmasta » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 am

mattvan1 wrote:

The only problem is at 6-10 Mangini gets whacked, Ryan bolts, and Walrus waddles the sidelines. Giant step backwards IMO. This isn't the NBA where you must be in the Top 3 or 4. Just win baby.

+1000
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby AK-ROWDY » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 am

Teams don't want top picks in the NFL because of the Cap hit. Especially in the last year without the projected rookie wage scale. Their is talent in all levels of the draft and I WANT WINS.
AK-ROWDY

Favorite Player: Peyton Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Steelers

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 am

mattvan1 wrote:

I don't disagree with you one bit, which is why I am not so sure about how I feel about it @EOD. I do not want to see Mangini get fired and lose this staff, so if those were my two options then yeah like Adrian said win!

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 am

Here is the best part about the Browns now.

I don't "hope".

I can now finally just live in what "is".

I'm Cyrus: Can You dig it ?
jb

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 am

I don't see the enomoration with getting a high draft pick at the expense of a bad season. This regime is already light years ahead of Savage, Kokinas, etc, etc in terms of drafting talent so, IMO, they will do more with less than the hacks that have been running the show the past 12 years. Given the parity in this league, simply getting a #1 pick doesn't vault you to another level. Maybe a top flight QB does, but if Colt is our man (and I wholeheartedly think he is), then all of a sudden this team is NOT that bad.

QBs win/put teams in position to win, and if we've got one in Colt, then the gaps we need to fill get exponentially smaller. Having a top 10 pick to get a S/CB/DL simply does not have as much value intrinsically vs a team winning and finding itself. Don't forget, if Mangini continues to get these guys to play and they win, Cleveland becomes a culture where winning is first and players want to play. Ergo, we can get talent here through the FA pool more successfully than any time since the return.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 pm

When's the last time a white running back led each team in rushing? Belichick and Mangini are tapping into the unused market just like Billy Beane did in Moneyball.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Its time to give Daboll some love.

Mangini, Hillis, Ryan, and McCoy are, deservedly so, getting all the pub this am, but our OC put a hell of a gameplan together IMO. He's been getting killed with Browns fans the past two years, but take a look at what he's dealt with this season:

- 3 new QBs into the system
- 2 injured QBs
- starting a rookie QB against PIT, NO, and NE
- the worst receiving corps in the NFL
- being publically dissed by the Walrus this week

Credit where credit is due.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm

jb wrote:

+ 1

Mangini's body language was "are you kidding me?"

Still like 2:30 left in the game too.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:When's the last time a white running back led each team in rushing? Belichick and Mangini are tapping into the unused market just like Billy Beane did in Moneyball.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... y_year.htm

If you count the AFL, Dickie Post. Otherwise, Jim Taylor.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Without doing any research, my guess would have been John Riggins, a guy who has been for me the best past-NFL comparison for Hillis that I can think of....though he never had the speed Hillis has, he was pretty decent as a receiver out of the backfield, IIRC.

Edit: I guess I was thinking of a guy who may have led his team in rushing...not led the league in rushing. That might generate a few names more recent than the 60's....Riggins...Rob Carpenter?...Alstott?...Craig James?...there must be some obvious ones I'm missing...help me out.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:29 pm

FUDU wrote:
I know it sounds weird/wrong but I am not so sure I want to see us win that many more games (this season).

Winning needs to be the only priority week to week. They're changing a culture of losing, and the only way to do that is to win. The only player in this draft that might be worth throwing the season for is Luck, and the Browns don't have a shot (or a need hopefully) at him anyway. And I don't think 6-10 costs Mangini his job. If they play well, and lose some close ones, he should stay. If they lay down and take it and end up 6-10, maybe. And would Holmgren be any better anyway? Six wins looks reasonable, of course it's different in practice than on paper.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Triple-S wrote:Browns would have to find a way to either win out or not lose a game in order to make the playoffs. Also, they'd need the Inbred and/or Rats to make some slip ups and I don't see that happening.

Which do you think would be more likely?

Do you think the Browns have a better chance to win out? Or do they have a better chance to not lose a game?

Personally, I think either one would do it.

:dingle:
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:30 pm

jb wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:When's the last time a white running back led each team in rushing? Belichick and Mangini are tapping into the unused market just like Billy Beane did in Moneyball.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... y_year.htm

If you count the AFL, Dickie Post. Otherwise, Jim Taylor.

Marv Hubbard?

Mark VanEaghan?

Zonk?

Diesel?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Last white 1,000 yard rusher was Craig James in 1985. 25 years ago. That is crazy.

Hillis could be doing for white RB's the reverse of what Jason Sehorn did for the white cornerback (now extinct) in the 2001 Super Bowl.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Not to piss on the fire, but the browns desperately need a back that can effectively give Hillis a breather. White or Black, any good feature back needs someone to keep his legs fresh, especially as the weather gets colder and the body gets brittle.(r)
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:Not to piss on the fire, but the browns desperately need a back that can effectively give Hillis a breather. White or Black, any good feature back needs someone to keep his legs fresh, especially as the weather gets colder and the body gets brittle.(r)

Bell really ain't bad in that role. Not great, but not bad.

Damn shame they never figured out Josh is a RB and not a WR tho.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 pm

jb wrote:
Gradysmanldy wrote:Not to piss on the fire, but the browns desperately need a back that can effectively give Hillis a breather. White or Black, any good feature back needs someone to keep his legs fresh, especially as the weather gets colder and the body gets brittle.(r)

SD:

Bell went out never came back , looked like a hip pointer although you can't find a report, looks like its gonna be the next guy up, the one we swiped off the pats practice squad this week , unless Bell has a miracle recovery .

maybe we find that shake and bake by accident reminiscent to last year when that other kid who is now selling pencils gave Jerome a breather.

That catch Josh layed out for and netted the first down at the ten was nails ,
can't agree he's a running back , butt he does need more touches.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Maybe they give Vickers 5-6 touches a game. (Only half kidding) We need a change of pace.....doesn't mean the pace has to be faster. Lets work a changeup.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

Bell went out never came back , looked like a hip pointer although you can't find a report, looks like its gonna be the next guy up, the one we swiped off the pats practice squad this week , unless Bell has a miracle recovery .

maybe we find that shake and bake by accident reminiscent to last year when that other kid who is now selling pencils gave Jerome a breather.

That catch Josh layed out for and netted the first down at the ten was nails ,
can't agree he's a running back , butt he does need more touches.

SoulDawg

Where the hell is Jennings, anyway?
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:30 am

So is Bell gone, becasue 'd have expected another RB pick up then. Injury reports come out Wednesday or Thursday? Bears wathcing. Hillis can't take that pounding vs the Jets run D .

Ah well, he caught bottled lightening in Hillis. maybe this kid from kansas state comes out and pulls a Ben gay with his back up role.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 am

Cribbs in no RB but we DO need another back, regardless of style and HR hitting ability. Just need somebody to allow us to keep Hillis up right for the rest of the season.

FUDU

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL