Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Walrus Finally Speaks

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Walrus Finally Speaks

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 am

Interesting.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... mik_5.html

Initially, Holmgren answered "no," when asked directly if he wants to coach again. He retired from sideline after the 2008 season in Seattle, took a one-year sabbatical away from the NFL in 2009 and was hired as Browns president on Jan. 5, 2010. Holmgren is 62.

"No, I'm doing OK," Holmgren said. "Does it sound like I want to coach? The challenge of this is really something for me and I'm enjoying the challenge, but I'd be less than honest if I didn't say I get fired up watching the games. But I also recognize what I was hired to do. And that's what I'm trying to do."

Later in the 30-minute meeting with media, Holmgren was asked if he is totally committed to turning around the Browns in his role as club president.

"Absolutely," he said. "I made a promise and I'm going to stick with it. Now, if I keep wearing a suit or not? We'll see."

Those remarks prompted another follow-up. Does he have the urge to coach again?

Gus Chan / The Plain Dealer"Wins and losses is not the only criteria," said Browns president Mike Holmgren about his assessment of the coaching staff when the season ends. "The crummy part of our business is most of the time it's the main one. The most encouraging thing is we've been in most of the games. And we had chances to win the game. It's also the most discouraging thing because we lost the games."
"You're catching me in a weak moment," he joked. "I just came off vacation. No, I love coaching. I'm doing what I'm doing now. That's what I plan to be doing. My commitment is to get the Browns going in the right direction in my role as the president. When I talked to Randy [Lerner, owner] honestly about those things, I am being honest. Right now, that's what I'm going to do."

Holmgren said Mangini's future as coach will be determined after the emotions of the 2010 season settle.

"And it'll take thoughtful thinking," he said. "Wins and losses is not the only criteria. The crummy part of our business is most of the time it's the main one. The most encouraging thing is we've been in most of the games. And we had chances to win the game. It's also the most discouraging thing because we lost the games."

On other matters:

• Holmgren indicated the team was not interested in pursuing released Minnesota wide receiver Randy Moss. "Our focus, I believe, has to be on developing our young receivers," he said.

• Holmgren expressed dissatisfaction with the way the receivers are used in the system of offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, but said interfering would "throw a monkey wrench into it."

Still, he defended the wideouts. "Let's not jump on the receivers too much here," he said. "I think they're better than OK. I think they're pretty good. It's just that their numbers haven't been very good."

• Holmgren said running back Jerome Harrison was traded because he was unhappy with his diminished role following the acquisition of Peyton Hillis and the drafting of Montario Hardesty, who has since been injured.

"I always felt if a player is really unhappy and it makes some sense for the organization, then you try to do something to make everything right. That's kind of how it came down," he said, adding that Harrison did not ask to be traded.

• Holmgren defended the drafting of Hardesty in the second round, which cost the Browns three draft picks to move up.

"Hardesty is a big disappointment to all of us, not the young man, just that it happened," Holmgren said. "The doctors are telling me [his surgically repaired left knee] will come back and be stronger. I'm hopeful about that. The injury thing I don't know if you can predict that. He had such a good senior year [at Tennessee]."

• Holmgren said he reached out again to try to repair relations with Jim Brown, who felt disrespected by Holmgren's decision to reduce his role and boycotted the team's inaugural Ring of Honor ceremony.

"I'm so sorry all that happened," Holmgren said. "That was not my intention. I still want him to be part of the organization in a certain way. The door is always open."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Walrus Finally Speaks

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:12 am

Well, it looks like McCoy will start the rest of the season. Unless Mangenius is stubborn enough to write his own pink slip.

Also, at least to me, if you take away late other way INT's by the two QBs The Walrus brought in, I would say the offense has overachieved. And we're 4-3 instead of 2-5. I would also disagree wholeheartedly with Walrus that there is talent at WR. There is none.

Bottom line. Walrus has got the itch bad ... and we're not even halfway into his first season in the front office. He's 62. Not good for Mangini.

If you would have told me last year when we were 1-9 that at some point in the future ... Mike Holmgren would replace Mangini as our head coach, and that I'd be unhappy about it, I woulda laughed in your face.

Now, it looks like it may be reality.

Maybe Walrus sticks it out one more year though. I think he's not gonna wanna jump back in till he knows he has his QB. Either a second year of seasoning for Colt, or one year of seasoning for a potential top ten pick at QB in the '11 Draft.

Or ... if he waits one more year, and the franchise is headed on the right track with Mangenius ... he can leave here to coach elsewhere with a clear concious.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 pm

It will all depend on how they finish. If they play hard, and win a few more, Mangini stays. If they tank, he's obviously out the door. Is Walrus better than Mangini anyway? How many steps back do they take when another system is installed? How many more drafts to get the right kind of players?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm

The question with Holmgren becomes if he does in fact replace Mangini (with either himself or someone else) will it set us back at all, if so how much? This team is playing for Mangini right now, whether you like Mangini as a coach or not. We are short on some talent in keys areas so it is hard to say just how good a Mangini coached Browns team could be with a roster full of playoff contending talent.

Also if MH (or say a Gruden) took over would it significantly change the identity of the team, if so is that good or bad?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Not sure if Holmgren would actually put himself back on the sidelines unless he saw this team as a stone-cold playoff lock. Why tarnish his legacy by coaching yet another 5-11 edition of the Browns next season?

Of course, it's hard to account for these guys' egos. He might actually believe he's the missing link between potential and achievement. And as stated, in his 60s, waiting for tomorrow's perfect opportunity might not be an option.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:32 am

Firing Mangini, to me, is pretty stupid at this point, these players HAVE NOT QUIT ON HIM and have bought into his program. You're seeing Mangini overall playing with nobodies and rookies and thus far have been in EVERY GAME this season. There's teams with super bowl contending rosters that cannot say that much. See Minnesota and Dallas for prime examples.

Now does that mean he's this great coach and the 2nd coming of Bill Belichick, Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh? That really remains to be seen. I believe at this point he's probably in the middle of the league in terms of being a good game day coach in the NFL. Could the Browns do better? Sure, but, you're not going to see that opportunity pop at this very moment, because, lets face it, the Browns at this moment are not an elite job compared to say..the Dallas Cowboys, sad but true.

Do I think he's a super bowl winning coach? No, I don't believe that, however, I think if you give him the chance at the very least you'll have team thats competitive in the AFC North, one that maybe able to challenge Pittsburgh or Baltimore for the division title. Which to me, is good enough at this point. You have to keep building this thing up, one step at a time, there's no short cuts to being successful, it comes from hard work and a desire to win, something that this organization is beginning to realize.

I think perhaps, the smartest thing to do is continue on with "the process", get a new offensive coordinator and work on bringing in more talent in this upcoming draft and free agency.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:59 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Not sure if Holmgren would actually put himself back on the sidelines unless he saw this team as a stone-cold playoff lock. Why tarnish his legacy by coaching yet another 5-11 edition of the Browns next season?

Of course, it's hard to account for these guys' egos. He might actually believe he's the missing link between potential and achievement. And as stated, in his 60s, waiting for tomorrow's perfect opportunity might not be an option.

SD:

You won't see Holmgren anywhere near a sideline until he has a QB who casts a shadow as big as his .

McCoy is a nice tinker toy to assuage his interest , but a Luck now thats a different situation altogether , a rare one of a kind talent Homie could stamp his brand on and ride into the sunset.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Not sure if Holmgren would actually put himself back on the sidelines unless he saw this team as a stone-cold playoff lock. Why tarnish his legacy by coaching yet another 5-11 edition of the Browns next season?

SD:

You won't see Holmgren anywhere near a sideline until he has a QB who casts a shadow as big as his .

Matt Hassellback is a HOFer?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

jb wrote:

Elizabeth is a HOF c#@t.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
jb wrote:

Elizabeth is a HOF c#@t.

You're not giving her enough credit.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:
jb wrote:

Elizabeth is a HOF c#@t.

You're not giving her enough credit.

I think she's kinda hot in a mommish way.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:25 pm

She's too young.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL