Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

2011 NFL Draft

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

2011 NFL Draft

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:57 pm

From Peter KIng's MMQB today:

There were between 15 and 20 NFL scouts at the First Draft Choice Bowl Saturday night in Seattle -- Andrew Luck of Stanford versus Jake Locker of Washington. As I mentioned earlier, Luck outplayed Locker badly and the Cardinal won in a rout, 41-0.

One team took the unusual step of having two scouts in attendance: Cleveland.

Play well while the floor is yours, Colt McCoy. Play very well.

At least they ain't asleep at the switch.

Kiper's Big Board as it stands today:

1. Andrew Luck QB Stanford
2. AJ Green WR Georgia
3. Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
4. Patrick Petersen CB LSU
5. Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
6. Marcell Dareus DE Alabama
7. Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
8. Nick Fairley DT Auburn
9. Mark Ingram RB Alabama
10. Ryan Mallet QB Arkansas

Only Amukamura is a senior. Everyone else in the top ten is a junior or draft-eligible sophomore.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:20 pm

More the reason why Holmgren and Heckert have to lean on Mangini to play McCoy the rest of the way. Either he has it, or else we do what we can to get Luck. I don't think anymore it's jumping the gun to say that Luck is the next stud NFL QB. If McCoy just sucks and we lose out, well that's just fine. If he pulls us to 4-5 wins the rest of the way, that's just fine too (as long as it's not based on special team gimmick plays and running the ball 80% of the time).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Oliver Luck, Peek?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:19 pm

JCoz wrote:Oliver Luck, Peek?

Oops.

I'm old dude.

I shall change it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I think we can all agree that the Bills will finish with a worse record than the Browns? And also that they'll take a QB? So whichever QB ends up as the highest rated will almost assuredly be off the board for the Browns.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:I think we can all agree that the Bills will finish with a worse record than the Browns? And also that they'll take a QB? So whichever QB ends up as the highest rated will almost assuredly be off the board for the Browns.

No doubt. But there's not a position or a guy on that board (other than maybe a 4-3 lineman) that wouldn't immediately help the Browns.

Check it. I don't want Mallet. If I'm not getting Luck I'm going DL/WR/CB

But I think AJ Green would be my choice today if they decide Mcoy is the QB of the present and future.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 pm

It's gotta be WR or CB, I think.

With a hit on a big talent CB, we'll have one of the best defenses in the NFL in a year or two at this pace.

And if Colt pans out, a true #1 WR would go a long way towards having an actual NFL offense.

DE and LB are big needs too, but I think WR and CB have to come first. And, for whatever reason, the Browns seem to be the one Cleveland team that actually has some hope of competing in the Free Agency market, so hopefully we can address one or two of those needs that way.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:51 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:I think we can all agree that the Bills will finish with a worse record than the Browns? And also that they'll take a QB? So whichever QB ends up as the highest rated will almost assuredly be off the board for the Browns.

Have you seen the way Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing?

I mean, I know it's Ryan Fitzpatrick. But it's also the Bills. The franchise that endured a near half decade controversy between Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie. That stood by JP Losman for year, and then when that didn't work out thought Trent Edwards was the answer to something. The first scenario is directly comparable to Couch/Holcombe. The second is like a mutated, half retarded version of Anderson/Quinn, except it went even longer.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Loo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm

If I'm in the War Room I'm looking at QB (Luck, maybe Mallett), then at a WR.

It's all circling around QB development. The McCoy situation makes this tricky, but unless he really surprises people I'd imagine the Browns take a QB either this draft or next. Either way, bring in a WR to develop along with whoever we select/stick with.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm

I no longer think green will be there when we chose, and maybe not Peterson or the NEB CB Prince either.

I mean the Saints win alone may have dropped us 3 spots from where we might have projected to.

Where are you guys thinking we will pick?
JCoz

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Julio Jones from Alabama is my receiver of choice. He's got great size (6'4 215), speed (4.49 40), can make plays over the middle but is also a big play threat. Doesnt really get as much attention past coupla years with so much focus on the running game at Bama, but he's the real deal. (13th on Kiper's board)
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:25 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Julio Jones from Alabama is my receiver of choice. He's got great size (6'4 215), speed (4.49 40), can make plays over the middle but is also a big play threat. Doesnt really get as much attention past coupla years with so much focus on the running game at Bama, but he's the real deal. (13th on Kiper's board)

I don't know, I've soured a bit on Julio, I am dubious of his lack of production. The focus on the running game should only increase opportunity for him, if only marginally due to lack of other play making WR's....

If not Green, I wonder where USCe's Jefferies(sp) will be slotted, I actually think I might like him a bit better than Jones at this point....
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm

JCoz wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Julio Jones from Alabama is my receiver of choice. He's got great size (6'4 215), speed (4.49 40), can make plays over the middle but is also a big play threat. Doesnt really get as much attention past coupla years with so much focus on the running game at Bama, but he's the real deal. (13th on Kiper's board)

I don't know, I've soured a bit on Julio, I am dubious of his lack of production. The focus on the running game should only increase opportunity for him, if only marginally due to lack of other play making WR's....

If not Green, I wonder where USCe's Jefferies(sp) will be slotted, I actually think I might like him a bit better than Jones at this point....

I agree, with the running attck the Tide have, it should be easy for Jones to get open downfield. AJ Green is more explosive and Jeffery more physical.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
JCoz wrote:

I agree, with the running attck the Tide have, it should be easy for Jones to get open downfield. AJ Green is more explosive and Jeffery more physical.

SD:

Just can't envision blowing such a high pick on a wideout ever again considering what you get for your money , especially with our QB problem unsolved and so many possible blue chippers available.

None of those guys remind me of Megatron.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Loo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 pm

What WR has ever had the athletic abilities coming out of the draft as Calvin Johnson? Have fun waiting for that one to come along again.

What are everyone's opinions on Baldwin from Pitt and Floyd from ND? I haven't seen either play to compare to Green/Jones.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm

YouTube clips and highlights of Green and a couple games of watching Jones probably doesn't qualify me as an expert. But I'd take Green over anyone QB not named Luck and I love the fact that Jones is a very big and willing blocker in the Alabama running game.

Unfortunately for Jones, with his lack of separation so far this season, you'd be better off playing another blocking TE in the running game and looking elsewhere for your WR. Think he needs to step it up and show he can make plays downfield like he did a couple years back or he's gonna slide.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
JCoz wrote:

SD:

Just can't envision blowing such a high pick on a wideout ever again considering what you get for your money , especially with our QB problem unsolved and so many possible blue chippers available.

None of those guys remind me of Megatron.

SoulDawg

Well that's why I was questioning where Jeffrey would be slotted (BTW, kid is a true Soph, I just checked, so that's a surprise and a no go)....I mean I said up thread, I don't think we are necessarily going to be where we'd need to be to get Green, which IMO will be top 5. He might not remind you of Megatron, but he reminds me of a more athletic Larry Fitzgerald, although that might not be the best description.

I think Luck, Peterson, Green, Darius and Prince A, may all easily be off the board by Pick 8, and I'm seeing us at somewhere between pick 7-10...
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 am

Darius.

Edit - If Mangini is still here.

Stud WR is he's capped.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Or Claiborne. It'll be interesting to see how far the UNC suspendees fall, because they can ball.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Apparently Jim Rome's Jungle Karma has nothing on the TCF Karma- Julio Jones is playing a manly game today.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 am

Time to start scouting the 15th - 20th pick range.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:41 am

jb wrote:Time to start scouting the 15th - 20th pick range.

Who's the leading candidate for the draddy award?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 am

jb wrote:Time to start scouting the 15th - 20th pick range.

J. Jenkins, Baldwin, Ingram.....maybe a long term solution at RT.
JCoz

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Jeffery with a couple nice catches already tonight against Florida. I think he needs to be considered the second best WR behind Jones, if not the top WR. Broyles at Oklahoma is very good too, if he comes out.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Jeffery with a couple nice catches already tonight against Florida. I think he needs to be considered the second best WR behind Jones, if not the top WR. Broyles at Oklahoma is very good too, if he comes out.

2nd best behind Green I think you meant, no?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby daddywags » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:21 pm

I've been told Jeffery is a true sophomore and not eligible to come out in '11. I think he's the best WR I've seen so far this year. But I haven't seen much of Green. Blackmon from Oky State is pretty darn good, too.
daddywags

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Jeffery with a couple nice catches already tonight against Florida. I think he needs to be considered the second best WR behind Jones, if not the top WR. Broyles at Oklahoma is very good too, if he comes out.

2nd best behind Green I think you meant, no?

Yes. wags is also right that Jeffery's a true soph.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Somethin' tells me Julio Jones is high on Mangini's board.

Nobody's more physical, and the cat's about the best blocking WR I've seen at that level.

Hines Ward with better tools.

By the way, AJ Green will be the first one out, but in a future draft, the guy throwing the ball to him might be at the top. Fantastic pocket presence and feel. Gets out quickly, yet the game stays slow, can throw the ball a ton. You could see this coming even when UGA was struggling early in the season. The defense continually let them down and he'd fight his way back in as a frosh. Damn near pulled off the Arkansas game with really, little help.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 pm

just got done watching cal-oregon, and this guy caught my eye.

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl ... ike00.html

was constantly around the football and had something like 12+ tackles. Also, with the amount of "All-Academic PAC-10" awards on his belt, just seems like the epitome of a mangini guy.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL