Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Holmgren's words

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Holmgren's words

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 am

So there it is. I might have missed it, but I do not recall Walrus being so direct in his expectations. Now if we only knew his philosophy on benchmarks and progress....

So Holmgren has a 3 year expectation level on creating a team that does what? Wins, is "good", contending? What's this mean?

I don't think you can blow up an entire system and scheme and change out a roster and win in 2 seasons.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Holmgren's words

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 am

However, I agree that it would be easier if they didn't have to make a coaching change. Or maybe just the OC.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:59 am

Hiko, this is a completely irrational and indefensible take, I fully admit. But to me the Cheifs are the Bears on one of their runs without the decent division competition.

Worst division in sports. Ain't happenin' in this division.

Now if you can replace Mangini with a style of coach that plays a multiple 3 - 4 and a power running offense who is better than him, sure, no hiccup. Try to install a more pure WCO or any passing-based offense and any form of a 4 - 3 ?

jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:07 am

jb wrote:Hiko, this is a completely irrational and indefensible take, I fully admit. But to me the Cheifs are the Bears on one of their runs without the decent division competition.

Worst division in sports. Ain't happenin' in this division.

Now if you can replace Mangini with a style of coach that plays a multiple 3 - 4 and a power running offense who is better than him, sure, no hiccup. Try to install a more pure WCO or any passing-based offense and any form of a 4 - 3 ?

I'm agreeing with you - it would be much easier if they didn't have a complete overhaul. I'm sure it's been done in 2 years before, but it's not like it's the best/easiest path.

I disagree that the AFC West is the worst division in sports - that would be the NFC West. But if the Chiefs played in the AFC North, yeah, they'd probably be 8-8 at best.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 am

PS - Did the 3 years start this year, or last year?
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:14 am

Hikohadon wrote:PS - Did the 3 years start this year, or last year?

I read it as a January 2010 clock start.
jb

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:37 am

Dirty Birdy....squawk....Dirty Birdy
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby mistero » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 am

We're the Patriots right before their run. We found our Belicheck and Brady. We just need to fill in some holes at CB and WR. :santa:
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 am

IMO 2 years isn't crazy, you only need a few key positions to be filled with some sort of talent to do it. Fill in your holes, then plug and play the rest of the way, hopefully.

Also IMO the Chiefs are a poor example to use as how it can be done, if we played them ten times I think we beat em 6 or 7 for sure. They've won 4 games, and I'm not convinced they beat a complete/solid team yet, at least a solid team that is also coached well.

Stay the course, win 4 games this year, get a top 3-5 pick (and hit it), hit your second round, grab a nice FA and you should have 3 starters who make an impact next season. Coupled with an easy(ier) schedule and you can double up on wins and make some noise.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 pm

TALENT

Focus on that next off-season.

You have a good thing in place right now, Mangini and Ryan's schemes are amazing. One can only imagine how they'd look with younger faster players in at LB. When David Bowens, who was a rookie when Limp Bizkit and N*Sync were tearing up the charts is making plays, one has to wonder how a younger LB with some actual talent would look

Also, for what it's worth, thus far this years Draft Class seems very good thus far. If, at the bare-minimum you've picked up three starters in it, you've done a damn good job at scouting.

The only thing on the personnel side that's even worth tampering with would be DaBoll.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:07 pm

jb wrote:

So there it is. I might have missed it, but I do not recall Walrus being so direct in his expectations. Now if we only knew his philosophy on benchmarks and progress....

So Holmgren has a 3 year expectation level on creating a team that does what? Wins, is "good", contending? What's this mean?

I don't think you can blow up an entire system and scheme and change out a roster and win in 2 seasons.

SD:

Homie should quit lurking and post more often.

He went from a position that Colt was the untouchable little pet Monkey too play em until he drops or we can find someone better.

Well alrighty then .

Nothing like feeding the peeps just what they want to hear.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 pm

jb wrote:So Holmgren has a 3 year expectation level on creating a team that does what? Wins, is "good", contending? What's this mean?

hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:14 pm

It means in 2012 after 7 games the Brownies will be 5-2 like the Falcons

See: Birdy, Dirty, squawk,
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby papacass » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:23 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
jb wrote:So Holmgren has a 3 year expectation level on creating a team that does what? Wins, is "good", contending? What's this mean?

I hope that trophy has a Purell dispenser inside it. If the Browns ever win that smeared-up thing, they'd better wear latex gloves or the whole team is liable to get staph. Gross.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:PS - Did the 3 years start this year, or last year?

I read it as a January 2010 clock start.

I read it as draft day 2010. If Hardesty and Lauvao pan out I would like more of those, please and thank you.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

He went from a position that Colt was the untouchable little pet Monkey too play em until he drops or we can find someone better.

Well alrighty then .

SoulDawg

jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am

jb wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

Well alrighty then .

SoulDawg

SD:

hardly my fault and its really no surprise your one dimensional checkerboard view of the world is limited to whats in front of you , while the concept of an end game seems like Euclidean geometry as explained to a cave man.

Homie said a hell of a lot more than your limited initial question focussed on part of which as follows .

"""Holmgren said the silver lining in the high ankle sprains suffered by Delhomme and Wallace is the opportunity to evaluate McCoy. The Browns figure to draft high again and have a shot at one of the many blue-chip quarterbacks coming out, including Washington's Jake Locker, Arkansas' Ryan Mallett and potentially Stanford's Andrew Luck.
"That's how I'm looking at it," he said. "I didn't want him to play, but then we wouldn't know. I mean, really know. He started off fine and I trust that we can continue."
Perhaps the most remarkable thing about McCoy's performance in Pittsburgh, Holmgren said, was that he barely got any reps in training camp or preseason -- and almost none with the starters.

Chuck Crow / The Plain Dealer
Colt McCoy against the Steelers "didn't do anything in the game that made me [shake my head and say] 'oh boy,'" said Mike Holmgren (watching McCoy during training camp). "On the contrary, I said, 'that's good. that's good.'"
"It's not like he had all this wealth of practice experience to rely on," he said. He kind of got thrown into the frying pan."
What's more, McCoy wasn't exactly throwing to an All-Pro cast of receivers. The unit has struggled, and both Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi were knocked out in the first half with concussions. McCoy will have Cribbs back against the Saints, but probably not Massaquoi.
"It's part of the three-year plan," said Holmgren. "If we can answer the quarterback question -- and I haven't said we answered it -- that's a huge deal. The other guys aren't as difficult."""""

The bolded big stuff just ignore it , ya know forest and trees and little unimportant stuff to close notice, and can't possibly be key to executing the three year plan. :spanky:

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:01 am

Triple-S wrote:TALENT

Focus on that next off-season.

You have a good thing in place right now, Mangini and Ryan's schemes are amazing. One can only imagine how they'd look with younger faster players in at LB. When David Bowens, who was a rookie when Limp Bizkit and N*Sync were tearing up the charts is making plays, one has to wonder how a younger LB with some actual talent would look

Also, for what it's worth, thus far this years Draft Class seems very good thus far. If, at the bare-minimum you've picked up three starters in it, you've done a damn good job at scouting.

The only thing on the personnel side that's even worth tampering with would be DaBoll.

Just keep in mind when you don't have talent you need to scheme your ass off. When the talent arrives, you're not going to see too many RB to QB completions. Agree that Ryan is pushing all the right buttons on D, but day in day out you would rather be able to beat people with a solid base D and a few nice wrinkles as opposed to going UFO every snap.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL