Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Mel Kiper

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Mel Kiper

Unread postby BadBecks » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:57 am

Ok, I admit it...I got Kiper's draft guide in the mail the other day. Oh, and yes, I dug right into it like I was a 14 year old finding a Playboy or something.

ANYWAY...here's Kiper's Browns projections for rounds 1 through 3. Discuss.

1. Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
2. Ben Grubbs OG Auburn
3. Chris Henry RB Arizona
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby yogi » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:59 am

fills 3 of our top 5 holes.

We need a CB real bad, I may have went there instead if RB. They say there will be many RBs in next years draft.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:53 am

I'd be fine with that.

Grubbs ... I just don't think he'll be there. Even given the fact that the top guards ALWAYS seem to slip farther than most mocks have them going.

There's just alot of teams at the end of the 1st round that really need help inside on the line, and don't have glaring holes elsewhere.

Henry at the top of the third appears likely if the Browns don't take AP.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby MSisco93 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:10 pm

yogi wrote:fills 3 of our top 5 holes.

We need a CB real bad, I may have went there instead if RB. They say there will be many RBs in next years draft.

I think we'd only need a CB if Gary Baxter doesn't return from injury because in my eyes i think he's our best corner.
MSisco93

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Me personally, I see RB as a big hole.

Jamal Lewis is here for one season. Almost for sure. And hes been a battered shell of his former self the last two seasons and had his knee cut on multiple times. He's 28, but has a 30-31 year old body. And 85% of RB's fall apart at 30/31.

And there is nothing behind him. Absolutely nothing. As I mentioned a number of times in here, I would have hung on to Reueben.

It's for these reasons that a Peterson at #3 pick wouldn't make me upset. Peterson scares me. He wouldn't be my pick. Hes had one injury after another and has a running style that has historically led to injuries in this league.

End of the day, I feel the Browns have to get one of those next tier guys if they pass on AP. Rebuilding the OLine won't mean shit if 8 Ball goes down and Jerome Harrison is getting the pill 20 times a game.

I like Darius Walker, Pittman, Hunt. We know Savage likes Chris Henry. Id be surprised if one of em isn't a Brown in 10 days.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:33 am

I think we'd only need a CB if Gary Baxter doesn't return from injury because in my eyes i think he's our best corner.

But even if Bax comes back, what are the chances of him and Bodden staying healthy all season. CB would be a wise choice.

And there is nothing behind him. Absolutely nothing. As I mentioned a number of times in here, I would have hung on to Reueben.

I agree with you on Droughns but maybe his home problems became tiring for Phil.
I like AD too, but remember there are a lot of talented RBs scheuled to come out next year. Let's start chanting...Ray Rice.

{I'd still love us to somehow wind up with Brian Leonard. I'm telling you Cleveland would fall in love with this kid}
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 am

IF(and that's a big if) Baxter comes back, how good would be be? He was average here before he blew out both knees.

I think AP is going to be a stud and the injuries don't bother me.

If we draft a QB, and 8 ball gets injured(good chance of that) early in the season, we go 3-13.

If we pass on AP, we need to land Pittman or Bush, not the combine wonder from Arizona.

Is tomorrow the 28th?????

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:07 am

IF(and that's a big if) Baxter comes back, how good would be be? He was average here before he blew out both knees.

Word is he's bulked up to play some safety, I think his CB days are over.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby BadBecks » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Swerb wrote: He's 28, but has a 30-31 year old body.

This easily can be confused with a description of Carlos Baerga a decade ago.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Unread postby mistero » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Baxter has played pretty damn good when he's been in there. Just check the numbers. Hell, I should but I'm too worn down right now. I know he was having a nice year as far as INT's and passes defended before he went down with the double knee bender.

(edit, I checked the numbers, He was ok, but man has he played very little for us!)

I'm pretty sure folks wanted him to play safety right out of college and he resisted. This was before he was drafted. He's pretty defensive about the topic. I really,really think he doesn't want to play safety for whatever reason.

If we can get 5 starts out of him and another 5 games at the nickle I'll be thrilled.

scouting report, pre-draft, He was pegged as a S/CB tweener.

Summary: A big cornerback who will be coming into a league where everyone is looking for big corners but has limitations and must be used correctly and play in the right scheme. Is a much better player in a bump-and-run scheme than when he is backed off. On a team that backs its corners off all the time, he might be better-suited for strong safety.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:00 am

I've repeadedly heard Kiper say in radio interviews that he rates both Quinn and Russell with the same draft grades as Roethlisberger, Rivers, E. Manning, Leinhart, Young, and Cutler.

My point is does this help anyone in their confidence in a Quinn selection? IMO, the sooner we get to the 28th, the more likely he may be a Browns QB.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:29 am

I will be very shocked if Quinn is not the pick, or Russell.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:00 am

BadBecks wrote:I've repeadedly heard Kiper say in radio interviews that he rates both Quinn and Russell with the same draft grades as Roethlisberger, Rivers, E. Manning, Leinhart, Young, and Cutler.

My point is does this help anyone in their confidence in a Quinn selection? IMO, the sooner we get to the 28th, the more likely he may be a Browns QB.

Becx, I think we fans like to show off our arm chair scouting powess this time of year, and Quinn seems to inspire a lot of negativity. It may be anti-ND spill over, it may be cause he's a prettty boy, I dunno.

Forgetting even Mel, there is no question that there is strong agreement among NFL scouts is Quinn is a legit franchise QB prospect. He'd be a very good pick for this team at 3 IF THEY CAN COMMIT TO DEVELOPING HIM CORRECTLY. That'll be the next controversy.

I'll keep saying it: assuming JMR and CJ are gone, then Thomas, Peterson, and Quinn are all excellent choices for us who improve the team.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL