Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

So, in regards to McCoy

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

So, in regards to McCoy

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:16 pm

When and how do we know when he could possibly be the guy and we could worry about possibly drafting a Wide Reciever, Defensive linemen/Pass rusher?

I mean, to know that we would say, at the very least have a Neil O'Donnell clone on the roster allows us to focus on other areas of the roster.

What statistics and style of play do you believe he has to show to prove that he's worth giving the job to for the next couple of years?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: So, in regards to McCoy

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 pm

If we are to believe that The Pitts D is amoung the best if not the best in the NFL the all things considered,like the unagruable fact the Browns possess the worst WRs in the NFL, his performance was indeed Montanish...

No, I am not saying he will become Joe, aka God, just that his less than a cannon arm, hissize, his just good enuff running mobility and his improved pocket awareness as the game wore on and willingness to take a hit while finding the open man reminded me of Joe

His sideline throw late in the game to the TE [name?] was perfection Joe & Clarkish :hide:

Even after only one game he's the best QB to wear a Browns uni since Bernie, imo, and the first to give hope

No doubt, he gained the respect of the locker room in the process

.....and yes, we shall see vs The Taints
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Thing is, we don't have to know. We have Mike effing Holmgren to make that judgement at the end of the year. And he was probably capable of doing it based on practice, let alone at least a few starts.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:52 pm

I have to agree with Bill on this one. I know, I know, just one game yada yada. But I haven't seen a Browns QB play with that much poise in ages, and in a situation he knew he had a snowball's chance in hell of winning at that. Arm, accuracy, mobility, brains, leadership... hell, Holmgren has to have been grinning like Chief Wahoo since the back end of the third round.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I'll know after the bye week, if the "skill" players we have on this team are healthy. I want to see McCoy come out of the bye week as this team's QB, poised and with the team behind him, and I want to see him score on that young Pats defense. If McCoy can lead us to victory in that game, then he's the guy.

If he keeps us in it, and has that "it" quality, then he's the guy. If he falls apart and looks Lady Quinnish or DAish, well, I'm sure we'll all know that too...
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
Even after only one game he's the best QB to wear a Browns uni since Bernie, imo, and the first to give hope

I'm not sure if this is an exaggeration or not. He didn't look awful, and more importantly he looked better as the game went on. Like he was improving. And I'm pretty sure we haven't seen that from a Browns QB in quite a while. They've all had good games, so I'll reserve judgement until he can string together a few in a row.

I agree they should start him few consecutive games, he's better than Delhomme. When Wallace gets better, there may be an issue.

The Brown's look to have another top 10 pick locked. There are some interesting QB options available. I would think they need to see what they have in Ole' Doe Eyes before they waste another 1st round pick.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby yogi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Well, we have one more game then a bye week, so its a no brainer that he gets the Saint game next week.

Evaluate the performance, see how the Saints game plan for Colt since they now have some real gametime tape of him and his tendencies.

The drawback of course is he's under the tutelage of Curly Joe Howard (aka Dumball) and the Saints can easily figure out the gameplan from that dipshit.

I liked what I saw, now we have to be real careful and put his talent in the hands of someone that can actually teach him the QB position and learn from. Pray to God that MH takes on that role.

After the bye, when Wallace is healthy, you have a decision to make if and a plan to sell to Seneca ifyou go with Colt. As far a Jake is concerned, he should now be the highest paid QB mentor in the NFL.

More to come on this and a good topic to discuss.

Early Xmas present to all of us long suffereing fans if it begins to pan out. :santa:
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Brady Quinn's first start:

23-of-35, 239 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, lost 34-30 to Denver

He even led a fourth-quarter TD drive which gave the Browns the lead back after they blew a 10-point advantage.

Check out the comments about Quinn after that game. We loved him!

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=183177
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:20 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Brady Quinn's first start:

23-of-35, 239 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, lost 34-30 to Denver

He even led a fourth-quarter TD drive which gave the Browns the lead back after they blew a 10-point advantage.

Check out the comments about Quinn after that game. We loved him!

http://theclevelandfan.com/boards/posti ... 1&p=183177

SD:

Apples to Diamonds a totally invalid comparison.

Quinn played against arguably a worse defense than we had at the time and had Winslow and Edwards and the play action threat of 8 Ball and he was at home , late in the season.

McCoy played with a hobbled Hillis a back signed off another team Wed. in Bell, and lost both starting wideouts to cheap shots and played against the #1 defense in the NFL in their place in the fifth week of the season.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:26 pm

You left out that the Steelers were coming off a bye.
aoxo1

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Since the Return, only Kelly Holcomb in the playoff game and Tim Couch in his 2000 win put up more passing yards than McCoy did vs the Steelers.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:00 pm

aoxo1 wrote:You left out that the Steelers were coming off a bye.

Thanks that a good additional point however I didn't want to use it lest it be construed as an excuse , the inequities of the comparisons were clear enough as it was.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:02 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:23-of-35, 239 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, lost 34-30 to Butch Davis's defensive castaways

Fixed that.

Are we forgetting we played the Steelers yesterday?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Not to nit pick the numbers Colt put up, but it was mentioned yesterday in here, the Steelers laid back big time and left a lot of underneath stuff open. He may have had a high percentage and a decent amount of yards but lets recognize the game circumstances a little. Things he showed was easing into his comfort zone, consistently putting ball right where it could be caught and some sip and athleticism.

Hope he gets a start against a weaker D before the weather changes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm

bwah
Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:24 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote: McCoy played with a hobbled Hillis a back signed off another team Wed. in Bell, and lost both starting wideouts to cheap shots and played against the #1 defense in the NFL in their place in the fifth week of the season.
SoulDawg

But McCoy is still "Holmgren's little pet monkey who should have been PUP'ed."

Right?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:27 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Then major point being he saw the whole field and hit the open man...whens the last time we saw that with regularity?

Its not like he didn't play well till the end when the outcome was no longer in doubt...he played 'well' from the git
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm

FUDU wrote:Not to nit pick the numbers Colt put up, but it was mentioned yesterday in here, the Steelers laid back big time and left a lot of underneath stuff open. He may have had a high percentage and a decent amount of yards but lets recognize the game circumstances a little. Things he showed was easing into his comfort zone, consistently putting ball right where it could be caught and some sip and athleticism.

Hope he gets a start against a weaker D before the weather changes.

Let's not pretend that the Steelers were on top from early on and were just trying to run out the clock for 3 quarters. It was 14-3 going into the 4th quarter, and then 21-10 in the 4th quarter. Yeah, solid lead, but not game over by any stretch.

IMO they backed off on the blitz because they realized Colt wasn't completely overwhelmed by it and he might just hit a big play or two.
aoxo1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote: McCoy played with a hobbled Hillis a back signed off another team Wed. in Bell, and lost both starting wideouts to cheap shots and played against the #1 defense in the NFL in their place in the fifth week of the season.
SoulDawg

Right?

C'mon, give SoulDawg some credit. He came in here and told it like he saw it despite the former "PUP'ed" nonsense. Not trying to hide.

(that is kind of funny though. I'd forgotten about that.)
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
SoulDawg

Right?

C'mon, give SoulDawg some credit. He came in here and told it like he saw it despite the former "PUP'ed" nonsense. Not trying to hide.

I will never fault SoulDawg for his between the lines observations, which I find, through the haze of hyperbole, accurate and entertaining.

But (and it's a big butt) his ability to discern talent, especially pre-draft, and especially QBs....well, let's just say that skill leaves a bit, um, to be desired.

Bill Walsh he is not. :cheers:
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:55 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Motherscratcher wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
SoulDawg

Right?

I will never fault SoulDawg for his between the lines observations, which I find, through the haze of hyperbole, accurate and entertaining.

But (and it's a big butt) his ability to discern talent, especially pre-draft, and especially QBs....well, let's just say that skill leaves a bit, um, to be desired.

Bill Walsh he is not. :cheers:

SD:

So long as they took the position McCoy wasn't going to play this year , he was indeed gifted a roster spot which made him equivalent to Homies little pet monkey .

To his credit McCoy never bought into that nonsense wanted to share in his portion of the work as a contributing teammate and showed his worth by stepping up in the direst of consequences when the team needed him.

He worked his ass off with a chip on his shoulder for being so ill regarded as to fall so far in the draft and when his time came he comported himself in a stellar fashion vs the idol worshipping inbred horde.

He got better as the game went on ,took advantage when the inbred went into soft coverage and produced his first TD and earned the respect of his team the opponent and this fanbase.

He's progressed by light years beyond what he showed early as a pro , doesn't look like a rookie nor carry himself in that way , he looks like he belongs and is showing noises that he's a keeper.

The first pick was the result of a deflection off Watsons hands as two receivers were in the same spot drawing additional inbred secondary giving the impression he threw into triple coverage .

Still the pass was thrown where Watson could get it , butt human nature being what it is all those urine covered helmets flying in your face with that type pattern where your laid out unprotected , would definitely engage the alligator in your arms.

We need to see what he can do , butt short of morphing into Montana reincarnate , come the 2011 draft we'll still be hunting QB if the Blue chip nameplates of Luck Locker Mallet Pryor Moore and or others fill the marque.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

So long as they took the position McCoy wasn't going to play this year , he was indeed gifted a roster spot which made him equivalent to Homies little pet monkey .

To his credit McCoy never bought into that nonsense wanted to share in his portion of the work as a contributing teammate and showed his worth by stepping up in the direst of consequences when the team needed him.

He worked his ass off with a chip on his shoulder for being so ill regarded as to fall so far in the draft and when his time came he comported himself in a stellar fashion vs the idol worshipping inbred horde.

He got better as the game went on ,took advantage when the inbred went into soft coverage and produced his first TD and earned the respect of his team the opponent and this fanbase.

He's progressed by light years beyond what he showed early as a pro , doesn't look like a rookie nor carry himself in that way , he looks like he belongs and is showing noises that he's a keeper.

The first pick was the result of a deflection off Watsons hands as two receivers were in the same spot drawing additional inbred secondary giving the impression he threw into triple coverage .

Still the pass was thrown where Watson could get it , butt human nature being what it is all those urine covered helmets flying in your face with that type pattern where your laid out unprotected , would definitely engage the alligator in your arms.

We need to see what he can do , butt short of morphing into Montana reincarnate , come the 2011 draft we'll still be hunting QB if the Blue chip nameplates of Luck Locker Mallet Pryor Moore and or others fill the marque.

SoulDawg

As I wrote above. Accurate and entertaining.
mattvan1

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Well entertaining, anyhow.
municipalmutt

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34 pm

municipalmutt wrote:Well entertaining, anyhow.

Apparently you also saw the 'Pryor' mention up above and that put another stake through the heart of 'accurate', didn't it?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Nobody can turn a phrase with Soul's style but he knows about as much as what it takes to be a successful QB at the NFL level as Richard Simmons knows about pussy.
municipalmutt

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 pm

municipalmutt wrote:Nobody can turn a phrase with Soul's style but he knows about as much as what it takes to be a successful QB at the NFL level as Richard Simmons knows about pussy.

Ahh the little babbee is still pouting I see .

Daddy didn't mean to put them size twelves so far up your ass the last time you made the mistake and tangled with me .

My Bad.
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 am

Neither Pryor or Cam Newton will become a NFL QB but, Cam Newton is a better athlete
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Neither Pryor or Cam Newton will become a NFL QB but, Cam Newton is a better athlete

Not sure if Cam Newton is a better athlete, he just isn't playing the game with his focus on the next level.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 am

leadpipe wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Neither Pryor or Cam Newton will become a NFL QB but, Cam Newton is a better athlete

Not sure if Cam Newton is a better athlete, he just isn't playing the game with his focus on the next level.

Supposing you're correct...

For Auburn = Good

For OSU = Bad

Eh?

In any event, I'm calling dibs on Tyler Wilson before SD...just in case
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 am

leadpipe wrote:

For Auburn = Good

For OSU = Bad

Eh?

SD:

OSU neither has a receiver or RB worthy of wearing the uniform with the exception of Dane , so is it cricket to condemn a QB with a receiving corp worse than what good high school football teams can trot out whose on pace to lead the team in rushing for the second year because the talent is so poor at both t critical skill positions.

just askin..
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:40 pm

This is quickly getting off topic, but do you seriously think that Posey is sub high school level talent? (Discounting Stoneburner, who seems pretty legit, and the receiving ability of Saine)
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:This is quickly getting off topic, but do you seriously think that Posey is sub high school level talent? (Discounting Stoneburner, who seems pretty legit, and the receiving ability of Saine)

Hyberpole my friend , butt do you see any of them being picked up on fantasy rosters anytime soon let alone legit #1 threats people are going to be clamoring for in the NFL.

Can't have a top notch program with Division 1A skill positions , the dearth of quality at wideout and RB for a program of tOSU magnitude is appalling .

Shit they don't even have legit depth at QB to even give Pryor pause let alone push him in any way shape or fashion.

Souldawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby NoWearMan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:18 pm

NWM

am i completely out of line to expect this thread to be about colt mccoy and not OSU?

NWM
NoWearMan

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm

NoWearMan wrote:NWM

am i completely out of line to expect this thread to be about colt mccoy and not OSU?

NWM

Nope ............

Anytime you want to step in on sumthin about his performance that hasn't been discussed the stage is yours
SoulDawg74

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:42 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

For Auburn = Good

For OSU = Bad

Eh?

SD:

OSU neither has a receiver or RB worthy of wearing the uniform with the exception of Dane , so is it cricket to condemn a QB with a receiving corp worse than what good high school football teams can trot out whose on pace to lead the team in rushing for the second year because the talent is so poor at both t critical skill positions.

just askin..

You are proving my point. If what you say is true, and I can't say it's far from it, Pryor should be playin' the game more like Cam Newton and less like Andrew Luck.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:16 pm

NoWearMan wrote:NWM

NWM

SD:

Not at all the tOSU coaching staff should have learned their lesson after Pryor nursed a bad knee all least year which required year end surgery .

He's wearing a brace now so its the suggestion of Bucknuts that he should run even more to supplement the tOSU coaching and recruiting errors that didn't provide a superstar QB any Fuckin Help in two off seasons since beanie Wells departure PUUUUHHHLEASE.

Cam is closer to 300 lbs as he is 250 and he has a john Mackey type running skill set .

Pryor is a lithe electronically timed legit 4.3 Ferrari speedster who can throw that is asked to plow fields like a truck .....

Its just so stoopid on so many levels it deserves its own thread , not to hijack this one.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 am

I watched the game again yesterday, and I must say it was more impressive the second time watching.

Just very accurate and for the most part made excellent decisions. Only a few moments of panic.

Due to that showing I've completely flipped my script on Colt playing. We need to see how far this rabbit hole goes down before the Draft.

I don't think we'll be in position to get Luck anyways, but let's see what we've got if the kid can handle it.

This isn't Couch's Oline we are asking him to stand behind.

Team needs too much in other spots to draft a QB in the top 5 if we've already got one worth backing. Not to mention the last thing we need is a QB controversy with two young QB's one of which is getting paid WAYYYYYYYYYYY more than the other. not exactly a fair competition IYAM.

That Draft pick could be spent on an ELITE CB/S, WR, 3-4 DE, or RB, all of which are coming out this season and 3 of 4 will likely be available when the browns pick and are all huge needs.

None is more important than QB, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be smart about drafting them. It is comforting to have a guy like Mike Holmgren here to rest the decision with.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11 am

I think in this instance that the stats are largely meaningless, since a lot of them did come later after PIT backed off.

The way he handled himself, the way he led the offense, the way he threw the ball (and where) were the things that impressed me. Especially given the circumstances.

Could be that he'll be good. Could be he'll just be the next QB with some potential destroyed by Cleveland. Guess we'll see.

But, at this point, there is clearly no reason to see Jake Delhomme on the field the rest of the season.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 am

Hikohadon wrote:I think in this instance that the stats are largely meaningless, since a lot of them did come later after PIT backed off.

The way he handled himself, the way he led the offense, the way he threw the ball (and where) were the things that impressed me. Especially given the circumstances.

Could be that he'll be good. Could be he'll just be the next QB with some potential destroyed by Cleveland. Guess we'll see.

But, at this point, there is clearly no reason to see Jake Delhomme on the field the rest of the season.

The previous debuts noted in your aticle was the proverbial kick in the junk. ;-) ;) :wink:

But I agree that he looked like a guy who was ready for the moment and not swallowed by it. Jesus, he looked less skurred than Jay Cutler out there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm

Cam is closer to 300 lbs as he is 250 and he has a john Mackey type running skill set .

Mackey didn't run a 4.5, he ran like a freight train and stomped pleyers into the dirt and Newton is a gazzelle in comparison.

He can fake DB'as out of their jocks or carry them for 5 yards but he doesn't punsih players for having the gall to takle him like Mackey or Ditka did
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Cam is Tebow with speed.
aoxo1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Mackey didn't run a 4.5, he ran like a freight train and stomped pleyers into the dirt and Newton is a gazzelle in comparison.

He can fake DB'as out of their jocks or carry them for 5 yards but he doesn't punsih players for having the gall to takle him like Mackey or Ditka did

SD:

For the record there will NEVER EVER EVER BE another John Mackey

Earl Campbell Jim Brown or Marion Motley or Riggo aka the Diesel.

Cam's style was only compared to Mackey by me as he was the largest and tallest of these power bruisers in comparison to the DB's who bounced off of them in desperation to make tackles.

Cam is a load , has bigger thicker heavier legs than Pryor and makes hay in the heavy traffic like a power running back, seeing DB's bounce off him as they attempt to make tackles is Mackeyish , butt he ain't anybodies John Mackey , nor was my comparison construed as such.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 am

Triple-S wrote:When and how do we know when he could possibly be the guy and we could worry about possibly drafting a Wide Reciever, Defensive linemen/Pass rusher?

I mean, to know that we would say, at the very least have a Neil O'Donnell clone on the roster allows us to focus on other areas of the roster.

What statistics and style of play do you believe he has to show to prove that he's worth giving the job to for the next couple of years?

SD:

Direct response to your original query .

Back when Montana was struggling for the starter spot in San Fran and he wasn't yet the legend , there was a pivotal game in which he brought the team back from a 4 TD (IIRC) deficit and went on to win the game because of his stellar play.

and while I'm not by any means comparing Colt to Joe let alone accounting for the variance in roster talent , the point I'm making is without that pivotal moment of jaw droppin excellence in some way shape or fashion ,there is almost no way you can by pass picking one of the top dogs in a blue chip QB laden draft , when your play at that position has been so abysmal since the return.

Butt be consoled with TCE its inevitable that when we pick another QB Colt will blow up LARGE and then we'll be lamenting the wasting of a pick .

Butt I ask ya , before the weeping starts ...Is that a bad thang.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 am

I can't believe I am doing this, but put me in SD's camp. If you get a shot a blue chipper and you have to take them even if Colt finishes the year decently. If Colt doesnt want us to take an available blue chipper he has to show something pretty spectacular, and I am still not sure that is enough. If we take one and Colt blossoms then so be it, it doesnt hurt to have trade assets.
Last edited by Ziner on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:04 am

Yep, unless the team is certain (or damn near) that Colt is a stud and not just an average starter with a chance to be a little better, they HAVE to take a guy they think is IF that guy is available. The position is just too damn important and hard to fill to not fire multiple bullets.
aoxo1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:26 am

If Drew Breese reads those last few posts he'll die laughing...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:31 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:If Drew Breese reads those last few posts he'll die laughing...

Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens and Troy Smith don't find it as humorous.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 am

Ziner wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:If Drew Breese reads those last few posts he'll die laughing...

Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens and Troy Smith don't find it as humorous.

Its because they realized too late they weren't worth a rats ass as QB's and shoulda played baseball

Breese has won a Super Bowl and Rivers is a punk loser...end of discussion
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:51 am

Well, at least we've calmed ourselves down to comparisons to a SB winner instead of a 4 time SB winner, and it took less than a week from his first start.

FWIW Brees' 2nd and 3rd years (only 1 game his rookie year) were quite awful. You really wouldn't be looking to bring in another QB if Colt is putting up a sub 70 rating?
aoxo1

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Brees also had a pretty decent defense out there in SD, and a HOF Runningback to hand off while he got adjusted to playing QB in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSya53fM ... re=related

Brees was also bad enough to be taken out in favor of Doug Flutie.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL