Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Moss to Vikes, Bills go Florida Marlins?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Moss to Vikes, Bills go Florida Marlins?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:53 am

Since when did the NFL start to resemble MLB?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5651832

Mr. Bill says "We can win with with a bunch of slap dicks on O, 'cause I'm so much smarter than everyone else" while the Buffalo FO takes lessons from the Marlins and begins the fire sale early.

Meanwhile, SoulDawg weeps at the thought of Vick, Moss, and Lynch all running out of the tunnel at CBS.

So do I, now that I think about it. If only............
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Re: Moss to Vikes, Bills go Florida Marlins?

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 am

Mr. Bill says "We can win with with a bunch of slap dicks on O, 'cause I'm so much smarter than everyone else" while the Buffalo FO takes lessons from the Marlins and begins the fire sale early.

Or maybe he doesn't think he can make it all the way this year, as currently constructed, so he's preparing for next year, just like with the Seymour trade. Patriots currently have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds next year. Scary.

Regardless, I'm sure Tom Brady wasn't too keen on both the idea of the trade and not being asked his thoughts on the trade. Has he signed that extension yet? Maybe SoulDawg can start pimping the "Brady to the Browns" bandwagon.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 am

Yeah rebel, it seems like he's been doing that for a few years now. Thing is, if he hadn't started doing that... maybe they would have had the players to win. He's not going to find another Tom Brady again, it's a huge waste.

And excuse me if I don't find the thought of the Pats having an extra 3rd and 4th rounder scary. Pats are scary because of their vets, not who they've drafted lately. Big whoop. Maybe they can turn it into another Brandon Merriweather (benched) or keep on rolling them forward for extra 2nd rounders in the future, which they can roll forward for more future picks.

New England Patriots: 32 1st rounders in 2020.
Last edited by aoxo1 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:09 am

Fire sale in Buffalo?

Please, Mr. Heckert, give them a call and see what they want for Lee Evans.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:18 am

And excuse me if I don't find the thought of the Pats having an extra 3rd and 4th rounder scary. Pats are scary because of their vets, not who they've drafted lately. Big whoop.

I almost put the disclaimer of crappy recent drafts in there but thought against it, so I see where you're coming from. Though they seem to have gotten better in the last couple drafts as Chung (huge game last night but first I'd heard of him since he was drafted) Tate (same as Chung) and Edelman from 2009 are contributors and from this year's draft, both drafted TE's, Gronkowski and Hernandez, have been tearing it up.

2006-2008 was positively Browns-esque in the level of late round awfulness.

Let's just say this; a Patriots 3rd or 4th round pick has the chance to be scarier than a Browns 3rd or 4th round pick.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:21 am

I don't know, the prospect of the Browns picking in any round scares the crap out of me.
aoxo1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 am

You guys slay me.

I'd give one of each of your nuts to have the record and the titles that Belichick will have from 2000 to 2020.

He's rebuilt that team while winning the last three seasons and already has three rings jingling in his pocket.

Guy wins 10 games in rebuilding years.

He's quite a moron. :thud:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:40 am

mattvan1 wrote:Since when did the NFL start to resemble MLB?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5651832

Meanwhile, SoulDawg weeps at the thought of Vick, Moss, and Lynch all running out of the tunnel at CBS.

So do I, now that I think about it. If only............

SD:

I dunno Matt , butt I doubt the Browns or any AFC team for that matter had any chance of dealing for Moss.

Mumbles is a vindictive penny pinching paranoid twin faced Bastard , butt he ain't that stoopid , the only threat of Randy being traded to come back and bite him in the ass will now have to be in the Soupie Bowl.

and

The Vickship has passed , before its all done , he'll be getting the long term deal while Philly will trade sloppy seconds on Kolb especially with Kafta showing what for.

and

As much as I sorely wish we had some help for Hillis , I'm not sure
the Buffalo Bumpkin was it, sucker is about one doobie away from a one year suspension IIRC.

Other than that Yeah , I'm down with improving the roster anytime you can every chance you get if your truely strengthening your roster and not adding cancer.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:You guys slay me.

I'd give one of each of your nuts to have the record and the titles that Belichick will have from 2000 to 2020.

He's rebuilt that team while winning the last three seasons and already has three rings jingling in his pocket.

just to clarify - I don't think he is a moron in any way, shape, or form. But sometimes I simply grow weary of the "I'm so smart I can win with Ben Jarvis and Green Elvis as my feature back" attitude and root with all my ability for the BB to fail. It is quite possible I have a whole ball of hate for the guy and his 'tude and smarts and arrogance and success.

Yes, I am immature and shallow. That's how I roll.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Fire sale in Buffalo?

+OO

bring him home.

Though the one interesting angle is that, by the time draft time rolls along, one QB will be eliminated from us being able to draft him next year.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:You guys slay me.

I'm glad you took the time. I was too dumbfounded to bother. Now all I have to do is Rack you...

Rack!

Kevin Faulk alone beats any #2 Browns pick since the return and all past hate aside, Mumbles can flat out fucking coach 'em up
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:38 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Or maybe he doesn't think he can make it all the way this year, as currently constructed, so he's preparing for next year, just like with the Seymour trade. Patriots currently have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds next year. Scary.

Scary is that they have Oakland's first-round pick.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Moss has nine catches for the Patriots. The Patriots have scored the most points in the league. Perhaps he's lost something.

Belichick learned from cutting Kosar. Don't way til the guy's got diminished skills before unloading him. Sell high. The guy replacing Moss has more catches than Moss this season. Maybe Belichick knows what he's got.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Moss has nine catches for the Patriots. The Patriots have scored the most points in the league. Perhaps he's lost something.

Belichick learned from cutting Kosar. Don't way til the guy's got diminished skills before unloading him. Sell high. The guy replacing Moss has more catches than Moss this season. Maybe Belichick knows what he's got.

Yep.

As Lead Pipe mentioned to me this afternoon, Belichik and the Pats are the masters of cutting ties a year too early as opposed to a year too late.

I think they'll be fine over the next 5 or 6 years that Brady is a viable Super Bowl-caliber QB.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Brady is going to be a SB caliber QB for the next 5 or 6 years? He's 33. Sure, John Elway won at 38 when he had Terrelle Davis. Here's the list of QBs that have won after hitting 32:

1) Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - Super Bowl I (33) and Super Bowl II (34).
2) Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - Super Bowl IV (34).
3) John Unitas, Baltimore Colts - Super Bowl V (37). Earl Morrall finished the game, coming in after Unitas' injury. He was 36.
4) Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - Super Bowl XII (35).
5) Jim Plunkett, Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders - Super Bowl XV (33) and Super Bowl XVIII (36).
6) Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - Super Bowl XVII (33).
7) Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - Super Bowl XXIV (33).
8) Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - Super Bowl XXIX (33).
9) John Elway, Denver Broncos - Super Bowl XXXII (37) and Super Bowl XXXIII (38).

That's 3 titles from 2 QBs in the last 20 years. Only 6 SBs won by guys over 33. Tom Brady is 33.

Brady is going to be a winning QB, the Pats will win games, but that is different from a SB caliber QB.

Obviously I would make the same trade, Peek. But at some point they need to be playing to win those SBs now, not trading away key players for the future. Tom Brady comes along once every 50 years, if that, for a franchise.

Think the Pats are happy winning 11 and getting bounced in the 2nd round?
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm

re: Moss is done.

Are they more likely to win the SB this year with or without him?

How much attention does he draw from the defense? Who is their home run threat now?

FTR, it's not just this trade that I would take issue with as a Pats fan, maybe this one is good and makes sense... it's the accumulated trades of veterans and rolling over of draft picks. Maybe that 3rd rounder really will be the key to winning a SB... in 5 years. Somehow I doubt it.
aoxo1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:52 pm

aoxo1 wrote:re: Moss is done.

Are they more likely to win the SB this year with or without him?

How much attention does he draw from the defense? Who is their home run threat now?

FTR, it's not just this trade that I would take issue with as a Pats fan, maybe this one is good and makes sense... it's the accumulated trades of veterans and rolling over of draft picks. Maybe that 3rd rounder really will be the key to winning a SB... in 5 years. Somehow I doubt it.

First post first: Yes, I think Brady has a 5-6 year window whereby he has the skills to win a Super Bowl.

Second post- Which guys that they've lost have not only been MORE productive where they ended up but also were worthy of the next contract they received? Someone is going to pay a stiff price for Randy Moss's past performances when he signs his next deal.

And Randy Moss, while more talented than an a-hole like Jay Cutler, can and will kill a clubhouse. Neither of us has any idea how divisive he was in the locker room or how motivated he was on the field. But he can, has and may quit again on any given play, game or season.

Come on AOXO1- Who were the deep threats in the years the Pats won their rings? Was it Troy Brown, Deion Branch or David Givens that scared the snot out of defenses? ;-) ;) :wink:

They have an equal or better shot without a divisive, older Moss IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Moss is not done, Moss is just pouting. That is how he works.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:26 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Brady is going to be a SB caliber QB for the next 5 or 6 years? He's 33. Sure, John Elway won at 38 when he had Terrelle Davis. Here's the list of QBs that have won after hitting 32:

1) Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - Super Bowl I (33) and Super Bowl II (34).
2) Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - Super Bowl IV (34).
3) John Unitas, Baltimore Colts - Super Bowl V (37). Earl Morrall finished the game, coming in after Unitas' injury. He was 36.
4) Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - Super Bowl XII (35).
5) Jim Plunkett, Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders - Super Bowl XV (33) and Super Bowl XVIII (36).
6) Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - Super Bowl XVII (33).
7) Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - Super Bowl XXIV (33).
8) Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - Super Bowl XXIX (33).
9) John Elway, Denver Broncos - Super Bowl XXXII (37) and Super Bowl XXXIII (38).

That's 3 titles from 2 QBs in the last 20 years. Only 6 SBs won by guys over 33. Tom Brady is 33.

Brady is going to be a winning QB, the Pats will win games, but that is different from a SB caliber QB.

Obviously I would make the same trade, Peek. But at some point they need to be playing to win those SBs now, not trading away key players for the future. Tom Brady comes along once every 50 years, if that, for a franchise.

Think the Pats are happy winning 11 and getting bounced in the 2nd round?

Did Brett Favre not make the Super Bowl last year because he's over 33? Did Kurt Warner lose the Super Bowl the year before because he's over 33? Did Peyton Manning not win the Super Bowl last year because he was a month from turning 33?

I don't know how many QBs over 33 were even playing in all the years that a QB over 33 didn't win the Super Bowl, so it's disingenious to say Brady is not a Super Bowl-quality QB because of his age.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Yes, Brett Favre did not make the Super Bowl in part because he is old. Why do you think the Saints were so focused on hitting the crap out of him and turning him into a duck and chuck guy by the 4th quarter? Just go look at what Sean Payton told his team before and during that game. I'm sure you can come up with other reasons for guys not winning a SB, but this is certainly one of them.

Great QBs, also SB caliber QBs, tend to have long careers. And for the ones that don't, it's generally because they are physically incapable of continuing to play, so they count for not being capable of winning SBs into their mid-late 30s as well. You cannot consider what the overall percentage of QBs over 33 is, because a lot of them are retired because they got old. You really think getting old doesn't have an effect on a quarterback? Well then why the hell would they ever retire? Moronic.

PEEKER643 (?): We'll have to revisit this in 2016 and count up the titles Brady has won. I'm not sure why the bar is MORE productive, or even AS productive as in their prime. Surely a lot of the guys they've said goodbye to would have been valuable to have, and may have made the difference between a 2nd round exit and a berth in the title game or SB. And how about all those picks they keep rolling into the future? They're better off with a rookie in 2012 than they are in 2010, when they're trying to win titles right now?
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Privately, though, Payton's message was different.

On the Saturday before the game, he met with the players and focused his message on the Vikings' three-time MVP quarterback.

"When you get older in life, you tend to get very careful, and a little more fearful," Payton said, according to players and staffers who were there. "You start thinking about your own mortality. If it rains outside you might not go to the store, especially at night. You figure you'll just wait it out. You might have somewhere to go and you tell yourself I don't want to go there. You don't want to get in a wreck.

"If you keep hitting him (on Sunday) he'll make a mistake. If we keep putting pressure on him (Sunday night) he'll start being careful, he'll start doing anything he can to avoid getting hit and he'll make a mistake. I promise you, if we hit him for four quarters, he'll turn into that old man who's scared of the rain."
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:44 pm

After the Saints scored to take a 21-14 lead in the third quarter, Payton sought out Oliver amid the crowd on the sideline. "This guy's gonna make a mistake now," Payton said to a clearly confused Oliver in video footage from NFL Films. "He's too old."
aoxo1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:49 pm

FTR perhaps Moss has been causing a ton of trouble in the locker room, there are certainly reports now and littering his past of it, but the larger point about trading the present for the future over and over again when the key to the team is past his prime remains.
aoxo1

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Yes, Brett Favre did not make the Super Bowl in part because he is old.

What a reach. The guy throws an incomplete pass on that last play, his team has a shot at making the Super Bowl on a FG. But because he's old, that didn't happen.

I am sure Sean Payton would not try to hit a younger QB. That's how they go after all of them.

Of course, he was making that same type of throw 15 years earlier, but so what? He wasn't over 33 then!
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Yes, Brett Favre did not make the Super Bowl in part because he is old. Why do you think the Saints were so focused on hitting the crap out of him and turning him into a duck and chuck guy by the 4th quarter? Just go look at what Sean Payton told his team before and during that game. I'm sure you can come up with other reasons for guys not winning a SB, but this is certainly one of them.

Great QBs, also SB caliber QBs, tend to have long careers. And for the ones that don't, it's generally because they are physically incapable of continuing to play, so they count for not being capable of winning SBs into their mid-late 30s as well. You cannot consider what the overall percentage of QBs over 33 is, because a lot of them are retired because they got old. You really think getting old doesn't have an effect on a quarterback? Well then why the hell would they ever retire? Moronic.

PEEKER643 (?): We'll have to revisit this in 2016 and count up the titles Brady has won. I'm not sure why the bar is MORE productive, or even AS productive as in their prime. Surely a lot of the guys they've said goodbye to would have been valuable to have, and may have made the difference between a 2nd round exit and a berth in the title game or SB. And how about all those picks they keep rolling into the future? They're better off with a rookie in 2012 than they are in 2010, when they're trying to win titles right now?

An angle on this; because I think this argument of how much Brady has left is key to this whole deal.

I think Belichik and that organization has done a HUGE service to their team by beginning the process last year, instead of hanging on. In other words, a common thing that would've been done would be "hang on to Seymour, we need to get his last few years before Brady is out." And Vrable. And Moss. Like the Vikings are doing this year, and that we've seen a million times in virtually every sport.

But, if Brady does indeed have five of six years, than the route they are taking is going to be fantastic for thier future, and even if he has less the team is still being set up for years of future success ILO. They've got many pieces on that defense already, they're just very young - and especially in the modern NFL, young secondary guys take some time whether they end up being great or not. Next thing in will be a flood of pass rushers. So, you give up a couple of Brady's prime years (and by give up, you may still be talkin' 10 wins and playoffs) but you bounce back on the other side with perhaps a very strong team - not a 5 year re-build. A good comparison here would actually be the Vikings. Old at every key position on the field. QB, O-Line, D'line.....what do you think their record is going to be from 2011-2014?

For the Patriots it could play out several ways, but virtually none of them will kill you. They aren't going to the Bowl last year or this year. But there's a real good chance that in 2011-2016 they are going to be in good shape, and there's a chance they could be in such good shape that Brady can simply be Elway running out the string, he need not still be in his prime.

The Patriots and coach Bill have been proactive in a numbers of ways. They have been masters at getting rid of guys early than late, they pounced on the value of early second round picks, (so as to not have to pay a late first rounder 4 times as much money) which is now copied league wide, and, as mentioned above, I think they are handling this rebuild about as well as you can handle one. It's somewhat a refreshing approach - not hanging on with guys at the end of their careers.

A few other things on this particular move. There is a HUGE chance that Randy Moss isn't going to be worth his next contract. And I'm putting aside his past as a malcontent. He's just at the age where things start to decline, and at an age where star players are paid for their past. Neither desirable.

And, I would think that his attitude might not be the greatest to have around a young locker room.

Lastly, I've seen enough to trust what they do over there. From drafting Seymour when they said they took him to high, than flipping him and robbing the corpse. To telling Deion Branch to go pound salt, to Vrabel and Bruschi.....of course you could look at players that were brought in as busts - as you could do with every team in the league. But they make an awful lot of prudent decisions, both on the field and in the finance department. And the best part of all, they make them without giving a shit what others think. They don't play the game afraid, and man, there are many teams that do.

As I always say, and aoxo mentions above, this will all play out. I'd feel pretty safe in saying that the Patriots are going to be pretty darn good for the next decade.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:08 pm

I agree with Lead in that the Pats are doing something that could/most likely will pay off nice dividends down the road. Just imagine if and when they draft a Qb and if they hit on him, all those pieces already in place potentially?

BTW Tom Brady owes his defense and some NFL officials a lot of money for even getting a chance in a Superbowl, dude should have never sniffed the first one due to the biggest crap call ever (v the Raiders). Who knows how things play out after that.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby gameface » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:49 pm

You guys are all wrong, and you don't know Belichick at all.

Moss was traded because he quit blocking.
gameface

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:03 pm

I think it was because he gave Bill a dead fish handshake when Bellichick was giving the whole team high fives at the end of the Dolphins game. Randy didn't even look at him.

So BB showed him who's boss.

Either that, or maybe Bellichick is a racist. :bunny:
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:08 pm

It's too bad the Browns couldn't have landed Moss. We need a receiver. It's week 5 now. If we traded for him he could have contributed the last 7-8 weeks this season...you know, after he distinguished himself on special teams.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Yes, Brett Favre did not make the Super Bowl in part because he is old.

What a reach. The guy throws an incomplete pass on that last play, his team has a shot at making the Super Bowl on a FG. But because he's old, that didn't happen.

I am sure Sean Payton would not try to hit a younger QB. That's how they go after all of them.

Of course, he was making that same type of throw 15 years earlier, but so what? He wasn't over 33 then!

You're right, Sean Payton doesn't know what the hell he was talking about.

But go ahead and believe that quarterbacks don't decline as they age. Shit, bring back Bernie.
aoxo1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 pm

No one said guys don't decline as they get older.

I said I think he has many years left. I stand by it. If he actually wants to stay there and o it.

You know who else might decline as they age? Receivers 6 months older than Tom Brady with 9 catches in four games.

Again, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, etc. They've won without a deep threat.
Perhaps with all the titles Moss helped them win they owed him more.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:27 pm

gameface wrote:You guys are all wrong, and you don't know Belichick at all.

Add your name to the wrong list, because to quit blocking is to assume he blocked this year at all.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:

You're right, Sean Payton doesn't know what the hell he was talking about.

But go ahead and believe that quarterbacks don't decline as they age. Shit, bring back Bernie.

Christ. Taking what a football coach drives into his team's collective head before a big game as gospel is pretty idiotic. Those guys get to where they are by knowing the angle to work their team and driving it home.

Go listen in to what Tress is telling the Buckeyes about the vaunted Hoosier Defense this week. He is busy convincing them those guys are the Monsters of the Midway.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Loo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Fire sale in Buffalo?

+OO

bring him home.

Though the one interesting angle is that, by the time draft time rolls along, one QB will be eliminated from us being able to draft him next year.

Been thinking this for a while. If Vincent Jackson wasn't a cancer I'd say give SD a call (Ok now I know someone will say "no we shouldn't bring him in you're an idiot"...I'm not saying the Browns should).

I'd really, really advocate the trading of a 2-4 round pick for a #1 WR. Couple 4ths for Evans? I don't know what would be too much or too little, but I'd jump on that bandwagon very quickly. Bring in someone to handle the #1 WR duties, draft a QB with what should be a top 5-7 pick. Even if they wait a year to draft a QB, the table would be better suit for someone to come in and carry the reigns.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby daddywags » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:18 pm

I'd like to get a guy like Evans although I'd prefer a bigger veteran receiver. I don't know that I'd give up a 2nd round pick for him, though. He's only had two 1,000 yard seasons but it is Buffalo so who knows what to make of that.

I like the way New England is rolling, though. Pick up Moss for a 4th round pick and trade him 3+ years later for a 3rd round pick. Trade Seymour to Oakland for a 1st round pick and a year later pick up Gerard Warren as a free agent from Oakland to play Seymour's position. And Warren has 2 sacks to Seymour's 1. Everybody thinks Buffalo is a lock to take Luck? Don't count out New England; they'll be picking top 5, too.
daddywags

Unread postby gameface » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 am

leadpipe wrote:
gameface wrote:You guys are all wrong, and you don't know Belichick at all.

Add your name to the wrong list, because to quit blocking is to assume he blocked this year at all.

I think he did throw a few blocks when he first got to NE. What a love fest that was, but the honeymoon is long over and now the divorce is final.

Will say this, a lot of NFL coaches will tolerate uber talents like Moss while letting them slide on the fundamentals. Mumbles ain't one of 'em.

You probably know, but my original post was tongue in cheek. Sort of.
gameface

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:It's too bad the Browns couldn't have landed Moss. We need a receiver. It's week 5 now. If we traded for him he could have contributed the last 7-8 weeks this season...you know, after he distinguished himself on special teams.

Browns could have done it, but the right pieces were not in place to get a good ROI.

Mangini doesn't command the respect that BB does, and furthermore even if he did, BB also had that powerful team leader on the FIELD in Tom Brady to echo the coaches sentiments.

That's a team that can actually benefit from taking in a guy like moss, and get a very good ROI, if only for a few seasons.

This compares to say, The Bengals, who overload their roster with such players and have neither the coach or team leaders to capitalize on those talents, or hell even prevent implosions.

My .02
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 pm

pup wrote:Christ. Taking what a football coach drives into his team's collective head before a big game as gospel is pretty idiotic. Those guys get to where they are by knowing the angle to work their team and driving it home.

Go listen in to what Tress is telling the Buckeyes about the vaunted Hoosier Defense this week. He is busy convincing them those guys are the Monsters of the Midway.

Also idiotic to take into account what a football coach says the a sideline reporter in the heat of the moment? Sure thing.
peeker643 wrote:No one said guys don't decline as they get older.

I said I think he has many years left. I stand by it. If he actually wants to stay there and o it.

You know who else might decline as they age? Receivers 6 months older than Tom Brady with 9 catches in four games.

Again, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, etc. They've won without a deep threat.
Perhaps with all the titles Moss helped them win they owed him more.

Shorter GHCS: Age has nothing to do with whether a QB can win a SB or not.

Fair point on the winning without a deep threat.

You think Brady is going to be contending for SBs when he is 39? We'll see.
aoxo1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Sorry aoxo1- GHCS?? Not all that with it today.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Garfield Heights Cunilingus Society?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:Garfield Heights Cunilingus Society?

It was on the tip of my tongue but I wasn't quite sure.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Pun intended I hope.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Ziner wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Pun intended I hope.

What are ya talking about? ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Ziner wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Pun intended I hope.

So THAT's what that means. I always thought it was a medical term for lock jaw.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm not real sure what this thread is about but I don't think the "Garfield Heights Cunilingus Society" exists. Adn we had "slap dicks" used in the OP. That made me laugh.

News and Weather @ CDTdoesthenewsandweather,bitches,andzombiemoviesareawesome. twitterthing.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Trading Marshawn Lynch is considered a fire sale? Least the Marlins gave away talent.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm not real sure what this thread is about but I don't think the "Garfield Heights Cunnilingus Society" exists.

Sure it does, at least in my imagination. Its membership consists of Trinity cheerleaders after liberating alcohol from their parent's liquor cabinets. Or at least that what I've heard happens when you get a bunch of Trinity girls together, versus the classy girls you may find at Holy Name, St. Joe's, Magnifcat, and Beaumont.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Hilarious. Moss supposedly waived by the Vikes. Watch him go back to NE. This was all devised by Belichick to give the Vikes a chance to beat the Jets. Evil genius I tell ya.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Is there a reason we shouldn't put a claim in for him?

A Moss who doesn't give a shit is still miles better than Robo.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 pm

bac5665 wrote:Is there a reason we shouldn't put a claim in for him?

A Moss who doesn't give a shit is still miles better than Robo.

Here is a reason. He would go absolutely apeshit if he got trapped in to playing for this team. No one will put a claim on him that he doesnt want to go to.

If I had to lay money on it right now I say he goes back to Indy

SD, Pittsburgh, and Indy should consider it, but they won't.

also should say it is rumor at this point from PFT, but why not speculate, its fun right ;-) ;) :wink:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL