Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Jim Brown's Letter

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:29 am

Everyone knows that Jim Brown is now unemployed by the Browns. I just read this article and his accompanying letter.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ttend.html

Am I being overly critical or did #32 drop the RACE CARD like a turd in the punchbowl?

AND......did anyone see Holmgren's comments and did he ever really say "one monkey dont make the show"?

Discuss.......
dem425
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Now in Strongsville
Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

Why was Jim Brown's letter signed by Monique Brown.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 am

Jim Brown is a mess and needs to spend his last days away from all of this.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby Cease » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 am

Jim Brown disses the WESTSIDE!!! How dare he?

I love what Jim Brown did for the Browns and for many young troubled youth across America. But, when it comes to getting between Holmgren and Lerner concering the football team, he can take a walk. If a "lesser role" ruffles Brown's feathers- so be it.

It was Lerner's choice in handing the car keys to Holmgren.

Brown will get his own ceremony some time down the line. Which may be the attention he wants.
User avatar
Cease
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am
Location: The View
Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby papacass » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:12 am

FUDU wrote:Jim Brown is a mess and needs to spend his last days away from all of this.


Yes. Lerner felt the need to massage Brown's ego because of who he is. Holmgren came in here, dismissed Brown and hasn't looked back with an ounce of regret.

A competent leader making a common-sense move. It almost gives me goose bumps, after so many years of Policy, Clark, Butch, Opie and Jammies.
User avatar
papacass
 
Posts: 2259
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Fairview Park, OH
Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am

A competent leader making a common-sense move. It almost gives me goose bumps, after so many years of Policy, Clark, Butch, Opie and Jammies.


No argument here..........BUT, wasn't Mangina vilified by the "fan base" when he took down the pictures of Browns' Legends at Berea, right after he was hired?

It's almost like this "get rid of the Dawg Pound controversy". Do we really honor and remember the past by continuing to pimp it?

On a side note, I saw Jim Brown in person last year and at that time he looked like death warmed over.
dem425
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Now in Strongsville
Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:41 am

Utterly confused.

Did Holmgrin say that line or was that put into his mouth?

If so, I can see why he's pissed. If not he's a Sharpton.

As for the football ops, he had to go. All other voices had to go. You just can't have that sort of court cabal going on. Right decision by Holmgren regardless of what is next.

Personally, I'd rather hear Sipe speak anyway.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:44 am

IMO the Mangini thing is completely different. Nothing wrong with homages to the old guard (when warranted) despite how few players of the current guard actually know who he is. Right and wrong ways to do things, Mangini's was wrong.

Putting words in people's mouths is hip today.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am

dem425 wrote:
A competent leader making a common-sense move. It almost gives me goose bumps, after so many years of Policy, Clark, Butch, Opie and Jammies.


No argument here..........BUT, wasn't Mangina vilified by the "fan base" when he took down the pictures of Browns' Legends at Berea, right after he was hired?



No, Pay Mcmanaman started a jihad bordering on yellow journalism because he hated the guy for some reason. maybe he was trying to create a portfolio to land an east cost job. :lmfao:

To paraphrase The Boss, "he's all gone, Mangini's still here."
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:07 pm

dem425 wrote:
A competent leader making a common-sense move. It almost gives me goose bumps, after so many years of Policy, Clark, Butch, Opie and Jammies.


No argument here..........BUT, wasn't Mangina vilified by the "fan base" when he took down the pictures of Browns' Legends at Berea, right after he was hired?

It's almost like this "get rid of the Dawg Pound controversy". Do we really honor and remember the past by continuing to pimp it?

On a side note, I saw Jim Brown in person last year and at that time he looked like death warmed over.


People were pissed at Mangini because we hold the past very dear (I know how gay that sounds) to us. It's important. All Holmgren is trying to do is to honor it.

That doesn't mean that the fans wanted Mangini to start hiring old players in advisory roles on how to run the football team because they used to play really good.

The problem here is Jim Brown taking it so damn personally. If he's smart enough to be in any type of advisory position in the first place, then he damn well should be smart enough to know that what Holmgren did is NOT personal and something that happens in EVERY organization when there is a new man in charge. If he doesn't "get" that, then I don't want him anywhere near running anything.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm

The problem here is Jim Brown taking it so damn personally.


I think you misspelled "financially".
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 pm

jb wrote:
The problem here is Jim Brown taking it so damn personally.


I think you misspelled "financially".

Well if #32 is so good at what he does then he should have no problems making a comeback......say for the Raiders.

LMAO
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Per the Columbus Dispatch, Holmgren's letter said " I trust Jim will be there, and I hope he's there because he is a part of this. He's part of the history of this place, a big part of it. Any way it comes down, its going to be a wonderful day. Its going to be a celebration...Its going to be a great celebration for all of us and the 16 families on that day, and I trust he will be a part of it." Apparently JB was paraphrasing.
User avatar
Love child of shawn kemp
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am
Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:Per the Columbus Dispatch, Holmgren's letter said " I trust Jim will be there, and I hope he's there because he is a part of this. He's part of the history of this place, a big part of it. Any way it comes down, its going to be a wonderful day. Its going to be a celebration...Its going to be a great celebration for all of us and the 16 families on that day, and I trust he will be a part of it." Apparently JB was paraphrasing.



So Homgrin never said "one monkey don't stop no show" about Brown?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJT4GwWzKU&feature=related[/youtube]
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:54 pm

Holmgren came in and established himself as the sheriff. He took one look at the books, realized the millions of dollars paid to this clown over the years and said, "FOR WHAT?"

This is not the least bit suprising. Now that he is off the payroll, the "Pay me, and I'll say nice things about you" policy is no longer valid.

He's been a humongous piece of shit his whole life. But, as stated many times before, he could do somethin' wonderful with a ball, so he collected passes.

F' him. Who cares if the guys there or not. Hell 75% of the fans in attendance would trade his sole for half a beer if he was there.

Chick tossin' bad actin' money grubbin' jerk-off.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6626
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby Loo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Jim, if you say that people in Cleveland shouldn't be mad at LeBron for leaving because it's a business, then don't be mad at the Browns for doing the same thing.

In this economy, you turned down a job (especially in Cleveland) paying $100,000 to basically be a mascot and show up while other people are trying to keep their heads above water? Way to be, Jim, way to be.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:23 pm
Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:28 pm

I think Terry Pluto's take on this is spot on.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... jim_b.html
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby p.b. fan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Race has always been J.B.'s obsesive thought. Sad. browns fans don't see black/white. we got a white FB and a black QB and who xcares. I name Motley as my favorite cause he [and bill willis] handled a harder situation with class and dignity. Paul Brown demanded black players or F888 the NFL. Jim Brown should have a statue at BROWNS STADIUM as the greatest player in football history. but i'm sorry he doesn't feel my love.
p.b. fan
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm
Favorite Player: marion motley
Least Favorite Player: yankees

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby pup » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:56 am

Not out to defend Jim Brown. It is a disgrace that he chooses to take his petty indifferences out on the fans of Cleveland. Not s surprise, but a disgrace.

The reason I am calling is this. How different is the fan reaction, which has been mostly against JB from what I have heard, if it was Eric Mangini who "fired" him instead of Holmgren?

I mean, if painting over a mural was a fire-able offense around these parts, what is an argument that causes one of the GOAT to say "My legacy will not be defined by Mike Holmgren (or in my question Eric Mangini)." Public stoning? Drawn and quartered?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:20 am

pup wrote:Not out to defend Jim Brown. It is a disgrace that he chooses to take his petty indifferences out on the fans of Cleveland. Not s surprise, but a disgrace.

The reason I am calling is this. How different is the fan reaction, which has been mostly against JB from what I have heard, if it was Eric Mangini who "fired" him instead of Holmgren?

I mean, if painting over a mural was a fire-able offense around these parts, what is an argument that causes one of the GOAT to say "My legacy will not be defined by Mike Holmgren (or in my question Eric Mangini)." Public stoning? Drawn and quartered?


Worse. Far worse probably. But only if it was last year. Because four game streak bought Mangini some time and credit with the fans.


And don't minimize the fact that there were already tons of fans who knew nothing of Jim Brown's accomplishments but only of seeing him with his hand constantly out in these, his Bitter Old Man days.

YMMV
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:27 pm

pup wrote:Not out to defend Jim Brown. It is a disgrace that he chooses to take his petty indifferences out on the fans of Cleveland. Not s surprise, but a disgrace.

The reason I am calling is this. How different is the fan reaction, which has been mostly against JB from what I have heard, if it was Eric Mangini who "fired" him instead of Holmgren?

I mean, if painting over a mural was a fire-able offense around these parts, what is an argument that causes one of the GOAT to say "My legacy will not be defined by Mike Holmgren (or in my question Eric Mangini)." Public stoning? Drawn and quartered?


He didn't fire him. He offered him less money to do the same nothing.

The problem is Jim Brown's. He's pissy. Who cares who it's at?

When people over-reacted about the mural-moving last year, that was equally annoying. It seems some people have personal vendettas against certain front-office/coaching types for who knows what reason and can't wait to bitch about anything and everything they do.

I know you think it's unfair (and you're right), but haven't you a similar axe to grind with Holmgren?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Jim Brown's Letter

Unread postby p.b. fan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:20 pm

one time after jim brown fumbled p.b. ran onto the field and screamed at jimmy "you're killing the team brown...go sit down" next series jim crushed 3 LB's for a big gain. it's a team sport. the greatest player ever let himself be used as a decoy in the '64 Title gameplan. why be an asshole in the real world when you were part of the greatest team ever. TEAM. p.b. was always getting jim out of trouble in Hiram for messing with young white girls. his women have always been white and he has abused them criminaly. he hates whites, and this episode is another chance to get whitey. why jimmy? browns fans are not racist. we forced the NFL to integrate at the cost of death threats to p.b.,motley,willis., shit thrown at them from other cities' fans, paul bussed the team into segragated Washington for games rather than stay in negro hotels. i'm proud of our city's leadership in human rights. Indians, browns, jesse owens, carl stokes,etc. always in the lead. and #32 insults these fans? i worshiped the browns as a kid[including jimmy]. met a lot of them over the years. Greg Pruitt [my all-tiome favorite brown] hugged me hard when i asked "are you greg pruitt?" games at the old stadium saw blacks/whites hugging each other,or crying with each other. a racist cannot be a browns or rock 'n roll fan. jim brown cannot be a cherished brown hating whites. whites put a black into the white house, enough of this different than you shit. America's Hall of Fame doesn't include jim brown.
p.b. fan
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm
Favorite Player: marion motley
Least Favorite Player: yankees


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest