Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Joe Thomas on ESPN Radio at 2:20

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Joe Thomas on ESPN Radio at 2:20

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:43 pm

Mel Kuiper breaking down the draft and many relevant questions today which would concern the number three pick. Good show on Sirius radio so far.

Incidentally, Kuiper thinks the Browns might trade down to number five so Arizona can move up to get.....Joe Thomas.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Kiper is nothing more than a rumor mongerer. All he does is sniff at the crotches of NFL FOs to find out the latest rumors and then creates his big board based on it.

How did J-Mark jump Brady Quinn? Well execs told Kiper that they were looking at Russell over Quinn, now all of a sudden Russell has the hype, independent of whether or not he is actually better than Quinn.

Remember, Kiper is the guy who told us Ryan Leaf would be better than Manning!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Kiper is solid and I like him
They always dog him on ESPN for the Leaf pick
They then always show the sleepers and he seems to be right on 90% of the time.
What a great job though.

Unread postby dpdad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:13 pm

If Kiper had been running the Browns drafts the first several years the team would probably be in a lot better shape. At the time, I wanted the Browns to take the deal Ditka offered for all of the Saints picks so he could take Ricky Williams, then draft Champ Bailey in the first round. Maybe I should have run the draft.
dpdad

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:41 pm

I think all of us fans have a "Ryan Leaf" type player we all wanted to Browns to take who ended up being a piece of crap in hindsight. I'll admit, my example was in 2001...I'll be honest I didn't want Gerard Warren, but I was ACTUALLY TORN between David Terrell and LaDainain. Ha!

A better one though is Peter Warrick in 2000 to give Tim Couch at the time "the pro-bowl reciever he needs".
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:43 pm

I thought Peter Warrick was the can't miss guy myself
I think he's in the arena league now

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Funny how the whole dynamic between Peter Warrick and his discounting (and dismissed from FSU) teammate Laveranues Coles worked out. I hope Warrick didn't spend everything from his rookie contract all at once.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:40 pm

Furls wrote:Kiper is nothing more than a rumor mongerer. All he does is sniff at the crotches of NFL FOs to find out the latest rumors and then creates his big board based on it.

How did J-Mark jump Brady Quinn? Well execs told Kiper that they were looking at Russell over Quinn, now all of a sudden Russell has the hype, independent of whether or not he is actually better than Quinn.

Remember, Kiper is the guy who told us Ryan Leaf would be better than Manning!

He's correct far more than he is wrong.

As far as the rumor mongering goes, isn't that a big part of the pre-draft? As a matter of fact isn't rumor mongering involved in virtually every draft thread on this site?

Like him or not, his gameday show on Saturdays, draft content or otherwise, is light years ahead of the humps that Cleveland Sports radio has on the air. Today was good radio on that show, that's all.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:48 am

BadBecks wrote:I think all of us fans have a "Ryan Leaf" type player we all wanted to Browns to take who ended up being a piece of crap in hindsight. I'll admit, my example was in 2001...I'll be honest I didn't want Gerard Warren, but I was ACTUALLY TORN between David Terrell and LaDainain. Ha!

A better one though is Peter Warrick in 2000 to give Tim Couch at the time "the pro-bowl reciever he needs".

Dude, you and I think ALOT a like. I remember having to defend LDT and his small school veer career when folks were dogging him. But I still thought Terrell as the shit.

What he was, is Braylan the First.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:35 am

As a matter of fact isn't rumor mongering involved in virtually every draft thread on this site?

Yes, the difference is that when we are posting our thoughts we are not doing it with an air of "credibility."
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:30 am

Mel ask Thomas if the rumor that he heard was correct, about him not being at the Draft on Draft day.

Joe Thomas: "That's correct."

Kiper: "Wow! That's incredible! I don't think I can remember a Top 5 pick not being there on draft day. Are you sure your not going to be there? It is a very important time in your life."

Joe Thomas: "No, I'm sure. I will be fishing in Lake Michigan during the draft. I'd rather be fishing than be there at the draft."

Kiper: "Well how are you going to know who drafts you?"

Joe Thomas: "I'll have a phone. I promised my agent that I would at least do that."

http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:44 am

Furls wrote:
As a matter of fact isn't rumor mongering involved in virtually every draft thread on this site?

Yes, the difference is that when we are posting our thoughts we are not doing it with an air of "credibility."

So he has no credibility?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:18 pm

I guess it depends on what you are looking for:

His mock drafts are decent, but I hate how he changes his "scouting" based on what he is projecting teams to do in the draft, thereby, playing both sides of the fence without anyone calling him on it. How did Russell pass Quinn while neither played a game? Because he thinks the NFL values Russell over Quinn and therefore, he should. He doesn't stick with his "scouting" and instead his rankings flow with the whims and rumors of NFL executives.

If you are a scout, stand by your scouting if you are just a draft guesser than say so.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL