Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Pluto says CJ going tops

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Pluto says CJ going tops

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:15 am

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/football/nfl/cleveland_browns/17046907.htm

TALKIN' BROWNS

Latest rumor has Johnson going No. 1

• The latest draft rumor has the Oakland Raiders skipping a quarterback and drafting Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson with the first pick. That means the Detroit Lions (2) and the Browns (3) might have the choice of quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. The Raiders' quarterback situation is terrible, and it's hard to imagine them not taking a quarterback -- but supposedly, owner Al Davis is convinced Johnson is the one certain superstar in the draft.

• If that happens and the Lions take Russell, the Browns are looking at Quinn, running back Adrian Peterson and left tackle Joe Thomas. I think they'll take Peterson. But if Russell is available at No. 3, General Manager Phil Savage has watched the LSU quarterback since he was 14. He believes Russell can be a star. It would be a shock if he passed on Russell.

Also of note - over the past 21 years - a damn large sample size when yer talking about crap like this, but I defer to Furls - 14 of the 28 starting QB's were 1st round picks.

Man, I jsut don't know about us passing on a QB when we are there to do it.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby yogi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 am

I've really no idea what Detroit will do at #2. I can see them passing on Quinn but haven't even looked at the possibility what they would do if Jamarcus is available when they pick.
The only scenario I've played out in my mind is if the Rayduhs take CJ, Phil will then make a move with Detroit to get Russell.

Phil will think the price tag is too expensive to move to #1, but may move on #2. I'm not saying I like it or want it to happen, but I just think it.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby mistero » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't think Russell is a good fit in the Martz offense in Detroit. Quinn is a much better fit. Besides I think Detroit is really zeroed in on Gaines Adams.

Oakland takes Johnson. Detroit takes Adams (tries desperately to trade down).

That leaves us Quinn,Russell,Peterson and Thomas.

Nice pickle to be in.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:42 pm

I cant see Det taking Adams at 2. I can see them taking him, but Id be surprised to see it happen in that slot. Just too many prolific skill positin guys will still be on the board.

Worst case, they do what we did to Ozzie last year.

"Uhhh ... yeah, we're going to take Russell. But just for the sake of avoiding a long drawn out process, just give us your 5th and we'll swap 1st rd picks and let you take him."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby BadBecks » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Personally, I think based on Mike Martz's stubborn yet proven belief that he doesn't need first-round picks to play QB's in his system (justified considering one-time no name guys Green, Warner, Bulger, and even 4,000 yds out of Kitna), I would be shocked if Detroit took either QB. I bet they take Thomas or Adams if CJ goes #1.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:55 am

Tampa appears set to get their hands on CJ come hell or high water ...

http://www.gbnreport.com/

(10:00 AM): Bucs want Tech WR; willing to deal??

There has been something of a buzz around the NFL the past day or so with rumors that Tampa Bay desperately wants to move up in this next weekend’s draft in order to acquire star Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson. Indeed, the Bucs are so enamored with the 6-4, 240-pound Johnson, who also runs a 4.35 40, that reportedly willing to part with all four of their first day picks at the 2007 draft. The Buccaneers currently have the 4th pick overall, along with a second rounder – the 35th pick – and two third rounders, the 64th and 68th picks.

There is no question that Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden likes Johnson. There is also no question that Bucs’ G.M. Bruce Allen was in contact with Oakland owner Al Davis a week or so ago, although little has been revealed about what was said between the two. Tampa Bay also sent a full contingent, including QB Chris Simms to a private meeting with Johnson in Atlanta last week in Atlanta. At the same time, the cynical observer has to ask if all of this makes a whole lot of sense. While Johnson is a tremendous prospect, in fact, there are NFL scouts who describe him as the best pure physical talent to come out in the past decade, there are still no guarantees come draft day, especially at a position like WR. As well, given that it is widely assumed that Oakland likely is more likely to take LSU Jamarcus Russell with the #1 pick overall, then it would be a lot cheaper for the Buccaneers to trade up with Detroit which has the second pick overall, but is known to want to deal out of that spot. At the same time, while Gruden and the Bucs want to win right away and Johnson might help in that regard, Tampa Bay is a team with a ton of holes; indeed, the Buccaneers may have more immediate roster problems than any team in the league. It also should be noted that while the package of picks the Buccaneers have reportedly offered the Raiders sounds like a lot, according to the commonly accepted NFL trade value chart, the 4 Buccaneers picks still don’t equal the value of the #1 pick overall; in fact, in order to make a move up to the #1 spot, the Buccaneers would ultimately likely have to give up their 2008 first rounder.

There is also some irony in the fact that the Buccaneers are in their current predicament, at least in part because they gave up so many draft picks as compensation for the signing of Gruden away from the Raiders, not that all this picks have done much for Oakland. It is also possible, if there is any truth to the above scenario, that before the Raiders move out of the #1 spot, in effect passing on the chance to grab LSU’s Russell, they would need to have acquired a veteran QB. And that has folks speculating that Oakland may be poised to pounce on Miami QB Daunte Culpepper if, as expected, he is released by the Dolphins. Stay tuned.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:12 pm

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
POSTED 11:44 a.m. EDT, April 18, 2007

BUCS-LIONS WORKING ON A DEAL

Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

A league source tells us that, while there is not a done deal, the talks are occurring regarding a flip-flop of No. 2 and No. 4. It's not presently clear whether Rice is part of the deal.

The Bucs presumably want to get in position to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 selection, if the Raiders don't take Johnson with the No. 1.

The real intrigue on this one arises if the Raiders take Johnson. Would the Bucs then pick quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Or would they take left tackle Joe Thomas?

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

We're keeping a close eye on this one. Check back for more details.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:27 pm

If CJ were to go #1 (big if), I really don't see Detroit taking Russell or Quinn at #2.

In fact, I (unfortunately) think that the Browns will try to swap places with the Lions and take JMR for themselves.

I say unfortunately because they'll probably have to give up a prohibitive amount to move up to #2, not because the Browns are drafting Russell. I'm fine with him being the pick. If you're gonna take a QB that high, he should have the potential to be great.

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:32 pm

Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

U gotta be shittin' me.

Move up two slots for a 10 year vet defensive end speed rusher whose speed is gone?

Thank you sir, may I have another?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL