Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Interesting NFL.com article for your perusal...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Interesting NFL.com article for your perusal...

Unread postby Birdieman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 am

Interesting stuff here on the Browns cooling on AP yet being SOL in their quest for a Franchise QB. Things are heating up!

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10060470

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(March 14, 2007) -- These days -- and in all the days leading up to the draft April 28-29, really -- intrigue is a one … and a two … and a three.

As in Oakland at No. 1, Detroit at No. 2 and Cleveland at No. 3.

Other teams aside from the Oakland Raiders already are calling to schedule private interviews in their cities with LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Teams that have expressed an interest in meeting and speaking with Russell include the Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins. Others interested in interviewing him include the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions.

If any of those teams or any other is enamored enough with Russell -- and Browns general manager Phil Savage could be, as he has known the LSU quarterback for years now -- it could put together a blockbuster package of picks to trade to Oakland for the right to draft No. 1 and Russell.

The Raiders also are enamored with Russell -- they met with him Tuesday night and came away impresed -- but are trapped at No. 1. They cannot risk trading out of No. 1 and still expect to land a franchise quarterback in this draft. It no longer looks as if it will happen.

JaMarcus Russell likely will have to ponder what team he will end up with right up to draft day.
Closely monitoring all the behind-the-scenes talks are the Detroit Lions, holder of the No. 2 pick. Fact: The Lions already have had extensive trade discussions with multiple teams about trading out of their draft slot. Those are only going to continue, all the way up to the draft or until a trade is consummated.

One Lions official confirmed Wednesday that the team is willing to listen to offers, and that is receiving many more calls than it is making. At least two of those calls have been from teams in the top 10, trying to trade up and position itself for either Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn or Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Many speculated that Detroit was sold on Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas with the No. 2 pick, but the Lions' actions tell an entirely different story. They are hardly wedded to Thomas; they only are committed to getting the best possible value for the No. 2 selection, even if it comes via trade.

This all leaves the Cleveland Browns in a precarious position. Multiple NFL sources said Browns upper management is urging the team to draft a quarterback, with Russell being the top choice, and Quinn being a logical second.

Some within the Browns organization do not want the teams to hold the No. 3 pick and not come away with a potential franchise quarterback.

The Lions know this and it is one reason they are engaged in as many discussions as they are. To ensure themselves a quarterback, the Browns will have to trade up to No. 1 or No. 2 to get him.

As one general manager with a top-10 pick emailed Wednesday: "Cleveland's owner told (the Browns) to draft a QB. … The Lions want it known that they have the pick for Quinn. Minnesota and Houston will have to react. All this Quinn dropping talk is from people who have no clue about the draft."

Until recently, the consensus had been that Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson would be the surefire No. 3 pick. But the Browns are concerned about some of his running habits, his durability and the value of picking a running back at No. 3 when a quarterback is within their grasp.

So the question then becomes, if Quinn goes in the top three, where does Peterson go? And as great as some NFL personnel people think Peterson has the potential to be, it's possible that he could slide to Atlanta at No. 10 or Buffalo at 12.

Nobody would be any happier about that scenario than the Bills, who traded Willis McGahee to Baltimore and left a huge void at running back. Buffalo now has a big question mark at the position, just like all the talk surrounding the teams with the top three picks in this draft.

Bottom line is this: As free agency cools down, draft talk is heating up. And it is going to stay hot for another six weeks.
Birdieman

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:08 am

Then the Lions are doing us a favor.

If we're dealing up to get a QB, you better believe it's going to be JMR.

And if the Raiduhs & Lions make it too expensive, we'll just have to settle for a safer pick like Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, or Joe Thomas. Aw, shucks.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Birdieman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:20 am

If we're dealing up to get a QB, you better believe it's going to be JMR.

Boy when you get locked onto something. What if the Raders take JR which leaves only BQ for Phil. Then he has to trade with them and it would take less to move up just one spot. Again, he may have them ranked in any order or dead even. Either may satisfy his lust.

And if the Raiduhs & Lions make it too expensive, we'll just have to settle for a safer pick like Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, or Joe Thomas. Aw, shucks.

Not that I believe everything Shefter says, but it sure makes it sound like Randy wants him to get a QB or trade down if possible. AP seems nearly outta the picture though, as does CJ. So if they can't work a trade or get one of the QB's it could be JT.
Birdieman

Unread postby BadBecks » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:27 pm

For some reason I have the sudden urge to by a western omlette sandwich today.

If the Browns can't land either QB, then I would like to see them take Thomas. I was on the AP bandwagon for a lil while, but its starting to make more sense from a value standpoint to take either QB or a LT at this spot...if we stay here.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Boy when you get locked onto something. What if the Raders take JR which leaves only BQ for Phil. Then he has to trade with them and it would take less to move up just one spot. Again, he may have them ranked in any order or dead even. Either may satisfy his lust.

There are things you can prove, and there are things you can't so you just have to believe. I believe Phil wants JMR. Do you disagree, or are you just arguing to argue?

And yeah, if I thought it made more sense to trade up for JMR than to settle for BQ at 3 before, then I'm certainly going to think it makes more sense to trade up for JMR than to trade up one spot lower for BQ for a bit less.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Couple a takes.

I fidn it VERY disturbing that Randy is inserting himself into FB matters. That's bad on so many levels.

And if the Browns really did like A Pete based on football season observation, it is assinine to coll off in March. Assinine.

That shit's how you talk yourself out of dudes like DeMeco Ryans and into Mike Mamula and Tommy Vardell.

That said, I believe almost nada of what I read and hera now. All the mumbo jumbo is going on now.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:57 pm

I fidn it VERY disturbing that Randy is inserting himself into FB matters. That's bad on so many levels.

Yes...this can only lead to bad things.

On the other hand, Jamarcus Russell would look good in an Orange helmet. Hell, I would be elated to seem them deal Edwards; he can't catch the slant, he's a clubhouse cancer, and he's a Wolverine.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:10 am

and he's a Wolverine

Oh no you didn't!

Now we're gonna have to deal with a line of posts that you have a hate on for mini-Plexico with worse hands solely because he's from UM, and all UM athletes get a raw deal from Clevaland fans. :? :-? :???:

Like how we hate on Hubs, Campy, Everett, Hoard, Darden.......
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby Birdieman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:34 pm

There are things you can prove, and there are things you can't so you just have to believe. I believe Phil wants JMR. Do you disagree, or are you just arguing to argue?

Yes I believe Phil's first choice is Russell. But I believe he may think BQ is close enough behind that it's not worth moving up for. He may just want to be in a position for either. It's not necessarily an either/or situation.
Birdieman

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL