Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Sean Jones/Brodney Pool Era Begins

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Sean Jones/Brodney Pool Era Begins

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 am

Tough to see Russell go, really liked this guy, thought he had a couple real nice seasons here for us.

In the same breath, the org is clearly committed to Pool and Jones, and for good reason. The pair has a chance to be the best duo back there for us since Gash & Washington.

This also tells us that the days of Pool playing CB appear to be numbered. I thought he played well there when pressed into action last seaso at that spot, and if able to pull it off ... has good size for a corner.

In the end, committing to these two kids as your safeties for the next three years is prolly the right move. Still sucks to see Russell go. Unless Im forgetting someone, this really leaves just Justin Hamilton behind them at safety.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2793525

On Friday, a day after making Deon Grant the third-highest-paid safety in football, the Seahawks reached an agreement on a five-year deal with Browns safety Brian Russell. Financial terms weren't available, but Russell becomes the second new safety added to the Seattle roster in 24 hours.

The addition of Grant and Russell means the Seahawks won't re-sign starter Ken Hamlin, a Pro Bowl alternate who is a free agent and recently visited the New Orleans Saints.

Russell, 28, has played with the Vikings and Browns during his six-year NFL career. He was an undrafted acquisition of the Vikings in 2001 and had a nine-interception season in 2002 for Minnesota.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Don't let the door let hit you on the way out.
He could hit, but couldn't cover me a la Robert Griffith.
A great move for us.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Unless Im forgetting someone, this really leaves just Justin Hamilton behind them at safety

The one chance I had to see Hamilton in person at safety (the Bears preseason game), he looked like David Fulcher back there. I'm excited to see what a guy with his physical attributes can do with increased playing time.

And Brodney is going to be a player IMO.

Brian did a nice job for us as a stop-gap, but our future is bright at safety.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:38 pm

I agree the future "should" be bright at that position.

This should also be the start of a revived attempt at putting serious pressure on opposing QB's. Most of these coaches don't like to gamble and send the house if they feel they are at risk of getting burned in the secondary, now that we appear to have some very capable safeties hopefully we will see a change in philosophy in regards to a pass rush.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:03 am

FightDr wrote:Don't let the door let hit you on the way out.
He could hit, but couldn't cover me a la Robert Griffith.
A great move for us.

I couldn't disagree more.

The play of the middle third decrased noticably when Russell was hurt. It was Jones who went from a stellar SS to looking late and lost at FS , and Poole wasn't ready. Now grant you, those two are works in progress and should get better, but I saw what I saw. It could have been from a poor DL even more banged up. It could have been late in the season when they mialed it in with impugnity on RAC, and hings can change, but this is a worse team with those two paired up as starters without a true FS player.

I hope that the Cas-nah-horn (not even gonna try) visit was more than windowdressing. We need a QB on D back there.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:43 am

I am not sold on any of the DBs
I think that is their biggest weakness
It is also hard to tell just how bad they are when the pass rush isn't there.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:49 am

Russell was one of those guys I was leery about when we signed him. He had that one year with Minnesota where he had all those INTs, which I thought may have been luck, may have inflated his worth in the market.

Dude just grew on me during his time here, and he had a helluva season last year.

Browns arguably had one of the best safety duos in all of football. Playing at a high level with no pass rush.

I like Brodney though ... I had advocated him as a CB in the past. But the thought of he and Jones back there for the next half decade makes me feel warm & fuzzy.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:27 am

FightDr wrote:It is also hard to tell just how bad they are when the pass rush isn't there.

Word.

But I am sold on Bodden & Jones; provided JOnes is more of an SS.

PS - Yes, I know and understand the theories and priviples of he Cover 2 and safety interchangability.....
jb

Unread postby docstank » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm

I personally thought Russell sucked. I know this will get some backlash, but a former inside linebacker I tend to key in on the over the top help offerred by our beloved safety. Russell very often made linebacker coverage look bad when over the top help was necessary. He is also the king of bad pursuit angles. All in all not sad to see him go.
stank
docstank

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:11 pm

I agree with you Stank.

I liked Russells toughness

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:17 pm

There was never a doubt the kid would stick Ya .

I'm still rankled over That idiot Meelawn Edwards comments calilng out his own teamate for pimp slapping the shit outta Gold teeth Johnson .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Good to see yah join the party Dawg

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Looking fwd to much more
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:40 pm

I also, like Fight, agree with Stank. He, along with Robert Griffith the previous years were very late with their help, especially on deep balls. Russell's somewhat wreckless aggression allowed him to make a few more plays than Griffith, but let's face it that is an impact position. Can you really remember a player at this position since the Browns have been back make a big/memorable play. (Outside of a big lick on CJ at the end of a blowout loss
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:52 am

Lead Pipe wrote:I also, like Fight, agree with Stank. He, along with Robert Griffith the previous years were very late with their help, especially on deep balls. Russell's somewhat wreckless aggression allowed him to make a few more plays than Griffith, but let's face it that is an impact position. Can you really remember a player at this position since the Browns have been back make a big/memorable play. (Outside of a big lick on CJ at the end of a blowout loss

Dudes, I'm not sayin' yer wrong. I'm not sayin' Russ = Kenny Easley. I'm not sayin' Jones and Poole can't get better as they are still young. But I don't know that, and neither do you.

Butt here is all I know, and I know this for certain, because it happened and I saw it. So did you.

Sean John looked like a pro bowl safety, literally, when he played with Russ. Paired with Poole? Not so much.

In two years, in two full seasons, Brotney Poole, our number 2 pick, a pick slotted so high he was nearly a # 1 pick , a guy we passed on Khlaif Barnes to take, couldn't beat out Brian Russell. In order for him to start, Russ has to not be here. Phil is moving a guy who played well to make room for his guy in a non-competition scenario.

This is Cris Crocker all over again. I hope that it works out as well.

Hope.

PS - If by "late to help" you mean that he couldn't cover for bustas like Devin "where's the ball?" Holley and Ralph "where's my man" Brown getting repeatedly toasted like a quiznos sub, then, uh, yeah. He couldn't come over and help them in time. Neither could The Flash.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:50 pm

JB wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:I also, like Fight, agree with Stank. He, along with Robert Griffith the previous years were very late with their help, especially on deep balls. Russell's somewhat wreckless aggression allowed him to make a few more plays than Griffith, but let's face it that is an impact position. Can you really remember a player at this position since the Browns have been back make a big/memorable play. (Outside of a big lick on CJ at the end of a blowout loss

Dudes, I'm not sayin' yer wrong. I'm not sayin' Russ = Kenny Easley. I'm not sayin' Jones and Poole can't get better as they are still young. But I don't know that, and neither do you.

Butt here is all I know, and I know this for certain, because it happened and I saw it. So did you.

Sean John looked like a pro bowl safety, literally, when he played with Russ. Paired with Poole? Not so much.

In two years, in two full seasons, Brotney Poole, our number 2 pick, a pick slotted so high he was nearly a # 1 pick , a guy we passed on Khlaif Barnes to take, couldn't beat out Brian Russell. In order for him to start, Russ has to not be here. Phil is moving a guy who played well to make room for his guy in a non-competition scenario.

This is Cris Crocker all over again. I hope that it works out as well.

Hope.

PS - If by "late to help" you mean that he couldn't cover for bustas like Devin "where's the ball?" Holley and Ralph "where's my man" Brown getting repeatedly toasted like a quiznos sub, then, uh, yeah. He couldn't come over and help them in time. Neither could The Flash.

Well, actually I meant for about 8 straight years no matter who was playing corner. Robert Griffith was the King here of arriving late on deep balls. It would hane been his worst quality if he weren't the least ineffective safety blitzer I ever saw on a regular basis.

I know you weren't nominating Russell for the pro bowl, all I'm saying is that safety has been arguably as bad as any position on this team since they've been back. O-line is king, but not by much.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mistero » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:19 pm

I like our youngsters. Since we have about 20 million in cap with absolutely nothing left in FA we should try to extend as many of our own guys as possible. Philly does it all the time. Identify your young up and comers, burn cap on them while you got extra.

Pool,Jones,Bodden and Holly all fit that description in my book.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby YSU Fan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 am

Wanna know why Russell was "late" in arriving with his help at times? Probably because he was worn out from running all over the field orchestrating the pre-snap reads for all the other DB's out there!!!

I'm not saying Jones and Poole aren't athletic and don't have bright futures here, but I am worried that Russell definetely seemed to be the "QB" of that secondary. I sure HOPE that someone will be able to take over that role...but I'm not sold until I see it.
YSU Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:02 pm

I'm of the opinion that in today's NFL you need to be able to defend the pass well from that position. Too much speed, especially from the Tight Ends, H-Backs etc. Guys like Dennis Smith would have much less value now then they did then. By being th quarterback, that indicates he was a smart player. That's not enough. The Browns need smart players that can PLAY.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:05 pm

By being th quarterback, that indicates he was a smart player. That's not enough. The Browns need smart players that can PLAY.

That would be quite a concept. Shit, I'll take dumb that guys that can play at this point.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL