Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns Shopping Reuben ... What's His Trade Value?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns Shopping Reuben ... What's His Trade Value?

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:12 pm

No shock here. Personally, I think even if they can't deal him in the next week, that theyll pay him and deal him leading into or on draft day. Especially in the wake of the news that they have 6 mill in extra cap room.

What does he yield us? I think there will be interested parties. Hes just 28, has a couple good years left in him, and has ran effectively when healthy. Also, it seems as if all teams really want 2-3 guys they can count on to tote the pill these days.

Im saying a 4th rounder. Maybe a 3rd?

So basically, if the Browns are unable to trade him in the next week, they will have a decision. Pay 1.75 million now for what Droughns will yield them eventually. I think they gotta do it.

No?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2792159

Droughns latest tailback on trade market
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

In an active tailback market, where three starters have already changed teams via trades in the past week, there figure to be even more deals in coming days.

And the player most likely to be traded next is Reuben Droughns of Clevelend, who has been made expendable by the Browns' signing of unrestricted free agent Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract Wednesday night.

League and team sources confirmed to ESPN.com that the Browns are actively shopping Droughns, their starter the past two seasons, in trade talks.

If Cleveland is unable to reach a trade accommodation, Droughns could be released.

Three starting tailbacks from 2006 -- Tatum Bell (from Denver to Detroit), Thomas Jones (from Chicago to the New York Jets) and Willis McGahee (from Buffalo to Baltimore) -- have been traded in the past week.

Droughns, 28, is due a $1.75 million roster bonus March 17, and the Browns almost certainly want to avoid paying it, especially after acquiring Lewis, who has already been penciled in as the starter. Droughns is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2007.

He is due base salaries of $1.75 million for 2008 and $2.75 million for '09.

A seven-year veteran, Droughns, 28, came to the Browns from Denver in a 2005 trade, after rushing for 1,240 yards in 2004. He gained 1,232 yards in 2005, his first year in Cleveland, and the Browns rewarded him with a three-year contract extension worth $12 million. But Droughns slumped to 758 yards in 2006 and there have been some off-field problems in the past year.

When Lewis became available, the Browns moved quickly to sign him, and there is also a chance Cleveland will use its first-round choice in the 2007 draft to take Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:08 pm

I see them using him in a draft day trade. Maybe utilizing him like they did Faine last year. Do you think someone would take Reuben and our 3rd rounder to move up into the middle of the 2nd round ?

I think the more 2nd round picks we can accumulate, the better our draft will be.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 pm

It wouldn't make much sense to trade Rube before draft day unless it was in a true sweetheart deal...and that aint gonna happen. Fourth rounder sounds about right. Having both Jam and Rube gives us ultimate flexibility at #3. Peterson, Thomas, the quarterbacks, and even Johnson are in play. Trading him now shows the league that we are leaning towards Peterson...and gives a team like Houston extra time to work on a trade up with Detroit.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Lebowski wrote:It wouldn't make much sense to trade Rube before draft day unless it was in a true sweetheart deal...and that aint gonna happen. Fourth rounder sounds about right. Having both Jam and Rube gives us ultimate flexibility at #3. Peterson, Thomas, the quarterbacks, and even Johnson are in play. Trading him now shows the league that we are leaning towards Peterson...and gives a team like Houston extra time to work on a trade up with Detroit.

Very good point I failed to consider Lebowski ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:43 pm

When Willis McGahee goes for a couple 3rds and a 7th, I wouldn't expect more than a 5th, unless it was part of another deal.

Hell even Thomas Jones only garnered moving up, what 10-15 spots in the second round.

Maybe package him with out second rounder to slide in and take one of NE's first rounders?

Him and a third to slide into the second is a possibility.

But Droughns straight up is not going to get you anything, IMO.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mistero » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:08 pm

I can't see any real interest in him.

6th rounder...conditional 5th....next years 7th.
Honestly, I will be shocked to see him get anything in a trade. I think he cuts cut a day before the roster bonus.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:33 am

We gave up a 4th rounder to get him, right?

Anyone think his value has increased since then? Stayed the same, even?

Anyone? Anyone?

It's not unheard of to get something in return for a guy everyone knows will be on the street next week, but I think what we're looking at is in the neighborhood of mistero's suggestion--a 6th or 7th, maybe conditional.

EDIT: it was Dilfer we got for the 4th rounder, wasn't it? Droughns came in exchange for Ekuban & Myers? Change my answer to--we'll get nothing and like it.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:19 am

There are rumors the Bronco's want him back. They know exactly what he's worth! Sounds like a fourth to me.
Wolfy

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:12 am

Do you think the Broncos want him back after signing Henry ?

The Giants might be a good spot for him.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:16 am

Buffalo?
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby yogi » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:14 pm

Giants aren't taking Ruben. They have a big bruiser on the team already in Brandon Jacobs (6-4, 256 lbs.)

They're looking for lightning to replace Tiki. Dominic Rhodes is the pick there.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:23 pm

yogi wrote:Giants aren't taking Ruben. They have a big bruiser on the team already in Brandon Jacobs (6-4, 256 lbs.)

They're looking for lightning to replace Tiki. Dominic Rhodes is the pick there.

Just saw at lunch ... Dominic Rhodes to the Raiduhs.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:33 pm

John Wolf wrote:There are rumors the Bronco's want him back. They know exactly what he's worth! Sounds like a fourth to me.

Can we get Warren back?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Wolfy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Anyway you look at it we gave Droughns up for nothing. We got him for not one but two D linemen and get a busted broken hand's WR in return. In essance we gave two D linemen for Drew Carter? Doesnt make sense to me. Id rather pay Droughns and see him and Jammal beat the hell out of a D. Maybe that's just me but it sure beats Drew F'ing Carter.
Wolfy

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:54 pm

John Wolf wrote:Anyway you look at it we gave Droughns up for nothing. We got him for not one but two D linemen and get a busted broken hand's WR in return. In essance we gave two D linemen for Drew Carter? Doesnt make sense to me. Id rather pay Droughns and see him and Jammal beat the hell out of a D. Maybe that's just me but it sure beats Drew F'ing Carter.

Im happy we got something for Reuben, but I too had no problem with hanging on to him. You can never have enough good backs, especially when your #1 has had his knee cut on, ran a coke ring, and had bone spurs last year.

By dealing him, with 8 Ball on a 1 year deal, the Browns are saying that even if they don't take APete ... they're going RB somewhere on day one. Theres also the thinking that maybe they should have waited till draft day to deal him ... in the event that someone trades up to #2 to get APete, and they get sniped on the RB they're potentially looking at in rd 2 or 3.

Maybe the Browns felt the two couldn't co-exist. Maybe they were afraid of NYG and other teams addressing RB elsewhere, forcing them to waive Reuben with no compensation.
Last edited by swerb on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:19 am

Tim Carter, not Drew
I would have liked Drew Carter, former Buckeye

Unread postby Wolfy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:42 am

Maybe they were worried that Droughns was going to be the man...then get in a tiff with his wife. In the mean time good ol 8ball is over there ... Hey Ruby ... Wanna try some of this?
Wolfy

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL